Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm all for ole but its ridiculous how the board is held responsible for transfers and the players for not enough effort.

What is the manager responsible for ???

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't know about that but I can give you a recent example that didn't work. At all. Take it for what it is. Craig Shakespeare for us right after Ranieri was sacked (February 2017).

Ranieri rightly noticed that the opponents now played a much deeper defensive line against us to negate our counter-attacking style and unsuccessfully tried to replace it by a more possession based football. The problem was that most of the players, lacked the technical ability to do follow his new ideas. He also tried to change too much, too fast. As a result, the team was in disarray, we were going down and Claudio got the boot.

Craig the assistant manager, was then appointed as caretaker, then manager for the season. He was loved by the players, the fans and did a great job as a coach. Purple patch or manager bounce whatever you call it, we beat Pool 3-1 in his first game and went on four wins in a row. He even got us to the CL quarter-final where we lost against Atletico Madrid. We finished 12th that season, which wasn't bad all things considered. All of that only by reverting to the good old Leicester style which got us the title and getting the players on board. No tinkering, no tactical masterstroke, he just let the players do their thing. He was then appointed as permanent manager at the end of the season, although some doubted his tactical abilities and his lack of managing experience.

The next season proved the doubters right, we went on a terrible run with 1 win in 8 games, playing a horrendous football. Craig was completely out of his depth, there were no distinctive patterns, no style, no organization. The subs came often too late and were baffling most of the time. The players couldn't string three passes together, and we resorted to a miserable "hoof and hope that Mahrez or Vardy can make something out of nothing".

Shakespeare was sacked on the 17th october 2017, after 4 months in charge as permanent manager and replaced by Puel. We were 18th at that time and relegation candidates.
It is like caretakers are the pick me up when a manager fails. It was like that with us after Jose. It is just rare for them to then succeed further.

dove

We are actually 9th at the moment. Another caveat when it comes to xG is that it automatically adds 0.79 for awarded penalty (regardless of its conversion). Given we've had 4 already this season, so our figures are inflated on that front. We are ranked 18th in the table when it comes to xG from open play which shouldn't come as a surprise because we create absolutely feck all.

Look at this table, it's laughable.

Don’t worry it’s part of Ole’s masterclass. Just another 15 transfer windows and we will be smashing everyone with Ole at the wheel.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Someone above Ole had to make/agree to these decisions right? Any competent club with a good dof would have advised him that the team would be in trouble if our only striker got injured. Our's probably would have grinned at the fact that Ole's saving them money and would have agreed.
We do not have a DOF so footballing decisions are down to the manager. We have known this for ages.

I am not saying it is ideal. What I am saying is ultimately at this point in time the first team squad in and out decisions fall down the the manager and the scouts.

The board only come in on the financials

We do not have a DOF so footballing decisions are down to the manager. We have known this for ages.

I am not saying it is ideal. What I am saying is ultimately at this point in time the first team squad in and out decisions fall down the the manager and the scouts.

The board only come in on the financials
If this was the case we would have signed Perisic and sold Martial, and we would have signed Maguire last summer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If this was the case we would have signed Perisic and sold Martial, and we would have signed Maguire last summer.
Let me rephrase manager and scouting team. Within the margins of the budget set by the board of course.

Which means we didn't get Peresic because he was deemed too expensive same with Maguire.

How much to spend is not a footballing decision by the way.

I am by no means saying this is right either. Many people have made up some story about Woodward vetoing things when in reality many of the staff from the scouting/recruitment department disagreed with Jose which was the issue

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Perisic doesnt make sense finance wise. I can understand that.

Maguire at that time seems a luxury we dont need.

Without a hindsight i can understand why it pans out. Martial at that time goes against the manager instruction, for better or worse you cant have player doing that.

reddevil702

I'm all for ole but its ridiculous how the board is held responsible for transfers and the players for not enough effort.

What is the manager responsible for ???
Nothing until 2022 apparently...

Love Ole as a player and a person. Hate Ole as a manager!

bleedred

We can complain about the board and the players all we want. But their shortcomings doesn't mean the manager gets a free pass.

And this is an interesting hypothetical scenario i have been thinking about and a genuine question for people who think Ole should stay.

Do you believe that if Ole is a better manager than what we have seen this season, do you think he would have won against United, had he been managing Wolves/ palace/West ham/Soton.

I am just curious because if we say that our players are not good enough to win against these sides, then it naturally means that atleast in those games they had better players than us on the field and hypothetically Ole should get a result, right?.

For some reason, I don't see him managing any of those teams to the standards their current managers have, which to me says that he is average at best managing any side let alone at United.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
An article from many years ago about Solskjær ‘’management’ of Cardiff. What’s scary is that the stats are similar as are the complaints of no style of play
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...le-gunnar-solskjaers-cardiff-city-7786419.amp
'Cardiff, under Solskjaer, appear confused, chaotic, and clueless. They are like that because of his non-stop tinkering, which has led to a lack of consistency and pattern, and some truly crass decision-making when it comes to team selection.'

Familiar.. Luckily for them he wasnt an ex Cardiff legend.

Enigma_87

You know who
We signed Matic.

Anyway, you're generally wrong but always adamant, it's an interesting combination.

It's weird that so many struggle to see the larger picture here
I can pull probably hundred of posts mate where you weren’t right but that’s besides the point. I was right about moyes and also Woodward from the off, pretty sure I’ll be right about Ole as well ;)

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It is like caretakers are the pick me up when a manager fails. It was like that with us after Jose. It is just rare for them to then succeed further.
If you don't have a manager already lined-up it's generally the most logical thing to do. Then write off the rest of season and survive the transition.

Form an outsider point of view, it's very hard to see what's your board's vision on the long term is though. There's no continuity, no cohesion and you're hiring managers with very different styles, each of them bringing in players who become deadwood for the next one.

Therefore OGS has a lot to carry on his shoulders. He genuinely loves your club and is trying to promote the youth which isn't a bad thing at all, clearing the players who aren't good enough or do not want to be there. His signings are good, Maguire is an excellent upgrade on what you had, AWB as well and James has been a revelation this season. However on the pitch it's muddier and you look a bit disjointed. By relying on Rashford, who still has everything to prove, Ole might have put an enormous pressure on him and the latter is maybe struggling to cope with it. The gamble isn't paying off at the moment. I also don't understand how players like Phil Jones get a contract extension.

Your players are also dropping like flies due to muscle injuries, which is a bit worrying. These injuries don't help him imposing his style as he rarely had his team at full strength this season, Pogba's blowing hot and cold and your squad is paper thin. January is going to be crucial for you and the other teams will heavily inflate the prices, knowing that you're in a pinch in the striker area.

I don't know if Ole's going to succeed and do think that he's already walking on thin ice. Tonight is a crucial game for him and everybody is waiting to see how you're going to react after the WHU defeat. He's aged terribly in less than one year. That said, sacking him now wouldn't make a difference imo, the problems run deeper than him. The season is still long, give him until Xmas and see where you are then.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Isn't that's what he's looking to do in January? https://theathletic.com/1250906/2019/09/30/exclusive-united-to-go-back-in-for-mandzukic/

Have a read yourself. This is just weeks after he told us Lukaku and Sanchez won't be missed because Rashford and Martial are ready to step up and he doesn't want a new striker to impede Greenwoods' development.

How we are making decisions as a football club is terrifying, absolutely no consistency whatsoever. Talk big about shedding deadwood and rebuild then hand out fresh deals to Jones, Young, Mata and Pereria with Lingard in the pipeline.

We are actually 9th at the moment. Another caveat when it comes to xG is that it automatically adds 0.79 for awarded penalty (regardless of its conversion). Given we've had 4 already this season, so our figures are inflated on that front. We are ranked 18th in the table when it comes to xG from open play which shouldn't come as a surprise because we create absolutely feck all.

Look at this table, it's laughable.

Fantastic post. Everyone defending Ole by saying we've just been unlucky & missed clear chances to win needs to look at this table and explain how. It's delusion otherwise.

The results simply reflect our dire performances. We play Newcastle away next week & Liverpool after the international break. Lose them including Arsenal tonight and we will be firmly in the relegation places. It isn't the time for heads in the sand, it really is no joke.

SamVimes

The last 15 Premier League games - played 15, won 4, drew 4, lost 7. 16 Points. One win in the last five games. Currently 13 points behind the League leaders.

MrPooni

Behind all the bluster about trusting youth, Ole doesn't strike me as any different from Mourinho on this front beyond rhetoric. It's clear given the choice between an experienced, underperforming/semi-fit pro and an academy prospect, Solskjaer is picking the pro 99.9% of the time. Gives me a new appreciation for Van Gaal who was pretty courageous on this front.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic behind his decision making but it's the opposite of the image Ole has been trying to project since he got here.

Rajma

I’m sorry but the side he has put out is a complete joke irrespective from the tonight’s result. How can you be mentioning and bragging on about progress and then follow-up with this nonsense.

Rajma

Behind all the bluster about trusting youth, Ole doesn't strike me as any different from Mourinho on this front beyond rhetoric. It's clear given the choice between an experienced, underperforming/semi-fit pro and an academy prospect, Solskjaer is picking the pro 99.9% of the time. Gives me a new appreciation for Van Gaal who was pretty courageous on this front.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic behind his decision making but it's the opposite of the image Ole has been trying to project since he got here.
Exactly, I truly hoped this can be a new chapter instead when backs to the wall he resorts to making same bad choices that undone previous managers.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Couldn't have picked a more underwhelming lineup if he tried tonight.

Rashford playing through injury, Pogba in a defensive midfield pivot, both Lingard and Pereira. No Greenwood.

Truly clueless stuff.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Yup, LVG's trust and guts to go with the youth is still unmatched here. Think he was the only manager who truly gave the youngsters a go, you have to respect that.

90 + 5min

People complaining and thinking they know better how players have performed in training (or if they are injuried) then coaching stuff. How strange… Just going all in on Ole.

Hard and tough game but hopefully we will see some good result tonight.

fps

It's the same for any manager who takes charge of a relegation-threatened team. You can train them, motivate them and instruct them to the best of your ability, but there's a limit to what you can achieve with Championship-standard players. You could have installed Pep in place of Ole that season and Cardiff would still have likely got relegated.

I'm not saying Ole is the second coming of SAF or anything, but to judge him on the little time he spent at Cardiff would be harsh considering the circumstances.
Yes I agree on the basis that some coaches actually do better in particular circumstances as well. I'm not sure Pep would get much of a tune out of the variety of Neil Warnock teams over the past two decades, for instance.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel like his decision to trim the squad down to its bare bones is going to end up Michael Owening Rashford. It seems like he's having to constantly play through an injury.

Mainoldo

I feel like his decision to trim the squad down to its bare bones is going to end up Michael Owening Rashford. It seems like he's having to constantly play through an injury.
Yeah he looks terrible. I feel sorry for him. The through ball from Pogba and his lack is f enthusiasm to get in the box. He needs to fack injury like Martial :nervous:

El Zoido

Decent job tonight from Ole, individual decision making let’s him down though.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Plucked a point off Arsenal at home, what else do you guys want?

xG of 0.88 tonight compared to 1.62 of Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.