g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

I just wanted to clear it up as a lot of people were blaming Ed for this. Ole has now confirmed it was his decision not to replace Lukaku. A decision that has cost us dearly in my opinion as we cant score goals and are utterly dependent on Rashford who is not good enough to be a striker. Ole will regret it when he is back in Norway with his P45
If you are going to make it clear, then you should at least mention that he did try to sign a replacement.

red4ever 79

If you are going to make it clear, then you should at least mention that he did try to sign a replacement.
Are you sure about that? Provide me the evidence. Not speculation from the papers. Hard evidence. Read his quote again

I can say [I am a striker short], but that was the decision that I made and I made it happily

mu4c_20le

Are you sure about that? Provide me the evidence. Not speculation from the papers. Hard evidence. Read his quote again

I can say [I am a striker short], but that was the decision that I made and I made it happily
At the end of the interview he mentions that there was one we just didn't get over the line. He is the manager, of course he's going to say its his decision, instead of moaning about not getting all his targets.

red4ever 79

At the end of the interview he mentions that there was one we just didn't get over the line. He is the manager, of course he's going to say its his decision, instead of moaning about not getting all his targets.
Disagree. He doesnt have to say anything, by coming out and admitting it was his decision to allow a striker to leave and not replace him is enough. The club knew all summer Lukaku was going to leave. They took him on tour and he didnt play a single minuite whist they were agreeing to sell him. Just because on deadline day Ole panics and thinks oh maybe we should sign Mandzukic is pathetic.

AC1689

He doesn't want to upset the players.
This is exactly the problem. It’s quite obvious he just wants to be everyone’s friend and doesn’t have the balls to slam the players when they don’t perform. He won’t shout, he won’t drop players, he won’t say boo to a goose.

That is a very dangerous way of managing and it simply doesn’t work.

Doing the complete opposite is also a problem of course. See José for what happens there.

Speedicut75

Listening to the dreck on TalkSport at present and they're getting into a tumult about Ole saying that we're likely to end up in a relegation battle, just like his time managing at Molde & Cardiff.
Could someone give me the gist of what he actually said; doesn't have to be verbatim, just what he more than likely really meant.

TrueRed79

To say Ole should be given time is laughable. Time to do what? Make us worse, is it? To put the confidence and club at rock bottom? Is that what the "Ole in" crew want? He's made his bed with selling Lukaku. Under no circumstances should he have been sold without a replacement coming in first. Or maybe Ole was so naive that he thought Rashford and Martial could replace his goals. Either way he should be shown the door IF we lose today. If we stick with him we are doomed to fail because let's get real, he is simply miles beyond his pay grade here along with the rest of our amateur coaching setup. And of course that snake Woodward will be still at the club but it's up to us fans who go to games to actually let him know what we think of him at the end of the game. I support the team at games and am not one for discontent but feck me the apathy has to change at some point. Will be interesting to see what happens at OT for the Liverpool game if we lose today.

Marcelinho87

I would be happy for him to be given further time on the basis that his signings so far are the only players not to disappoint this season... Could a squad full of his signings be good? Only one way to find out.

ottosec

I would be happy for him to be given further time on the basis that his signings so far are the only players not to disappoint this season... Could a squad full of his signings be good? Only one way to find out.
The new signings have not disappointed yet only because they didn't have enough time to get used to Ole's philosophy.

Marcelinho87

The new signings have not disappointed yet only because they didn't have enough time to get used to Ole's philosophy.
Oh shit, damn. I forgot you have his philosophy on a pamphlet.... :yawn:

Put it this way, if we sack Ole how long do we give the next guy, and the one after that? When does it finally get in that for us to move forward it is going to take multiple years?

Now I am not saying Ole is the right man to do that cause I dunno, he could be? He could well not be.

Either way his signings have come in and looked good while the remaining players are letting them down as per.

Ancient Of Days

To further back up those recent quotes of Ole admitting it was his decision not to sign another striker, here's what he said in the summer in his own words.

''Anthony and Marcus can carry our attacking threat," he said. "If not, we would have signed someone else or kept someone else.''

"We believe in them. Both of them enjoy responsibility and enjoy the trust. It is give and take here -- we trust them but they have to give us back.

"But they have shown me they are ready for that.

"If I did not believe in them, we would have signed someone else or kept someone else. We believe in them definitely''

There was also another article sourced from the club that both Ole and Phelan were going to oversee the transfer recruitment and their plan was to recruit without blocking academy talents' pathway to the first-team.

This coincides with Ole's statement in August when he said this about what signing another striker would mean

'It was time for Rom to go because I think we got a good deal''

''For me, I'm very confident that we'll get goals from Martial,Rashford and James will create. I;m sure Jesse Lingard will get more ''

Solskear also indicated that signing one more forward would have impeded Mason Greenwoods development and he is confident the 17 year old will score goals this season.

''Mason's pathway would have been a lot more different if we had another forward there''

And I believe Mason is going to be playing and involved alot and when he is he is going to score goals.

So this conspiratorial idea that Ed tied Ole's hands behind his back, as if he is some dastardly villain looming in the shadows trying his best to sabotage all his efforts in getting another striker in, needs to finally be buried.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldyella

That's hundreds and hundreds of millions though. And given we bought only 3 this close season, looking like 3 or 4 seasons just to turn the team around. Any manager should be capable of coaching the players he already has, Ole doesn't.

Eric's Seagull

To say Ole should be given time is laughable. Time to do what? Make us worse, is it? To put the confidence and club at rock bottom? Is that what the "Ole in" crew want? He's made his bed with selling Lukaku. Under no circumstances should he have been sold without a replacement coming in first. Or maybe Ole was so naive that he thought Rashford and Martial could replace his goals. Either way he should be shown the door IF we lose today. If we stick with him we are doomed to fail because let's get real, he is simply miles beyond his pay grade here along with the rest of our amateur coaching setup. And of course that snake Woodward will be still at the club but it's up to us fans who go to games to actually let him know what we think of him at the end of the game. I support the team at games and am not one for discontent but feck me the apathy has to change at some point. Will be interesting to see what happens at OT for the Liverpool game if we lose today.
As I have said before, I don't think it was on Ole not getting a replacement for Lukaku. I think it was Woodward who thought that his football knowledge was so good that we could survive with Rashford and Martial to replace his goals.

Agree with you that Woodward is a snake, I have said for a while that I don't think he gave Ole a good enough platform to succeed from and is willing to make Ole a scapegoat for his own mistakes instead of manning up and growing some balls. I would like to see Woodward gone or at least bring in someone with a good grasp of football knowledge to help him.

As long as the Glazer's are about I think Woodward will be about as well :annoyed:

Marcelinho87

That's hundreds and hundreds of millions though. And given we bought only 3 this close season, looking like 3 or 4 seasons just to turn the team around. Any manager should be capable of coaching the players he already has, Ole doesn't.
Sorry to break it to you but it is going to be the same whoever is in charge.

Hundreds of millions to bring in players to fit their ideology over numerous windows.

TrueRed79

As I have said before, I don't think it was on Ole not getting a replacement for Lukaku. I think it was Woodward who thought that his football knowledge was so good that we could survive with Rashford and Martial to replace his goals.

Agree with you that Woodward is a snake, I have said for a while that I don't think he gave Ole a good enough platform to succeed from and is willing to make Ole a scapegoat for his own mistakes instead of manning up and growing some balls. I would like to see Woodward gone or at least bring in someone with a good grasp of football knowledge to help him.

As long as the Glazer's are about I think Woodward will be about as well :annoyed:
Lukaku had a contract. A good manager would have kept him on his side. Advised him he can go as long as a replacement comes in first. Lukaku had to go at some point, i get that but it was poor from Ole to sell him first without replacing him. Can't blame Woodward for everything.

Marcelinho87

Lukaku had a contract. A good manager would have kept him on his side. Advised him he can go as long as a replacement comes in first. Lukaku had to go at some point, i get that but it was poor from Ole to sell him first without replacing him. Can't blame Woodward for everything.
I think Woodward agreed to sell him AFTER the window closed on purpose.

Lynty

I just wanted to clear it up as a lot of people were blaming Ed for this. Ole has now confirmed it was his decision not to replace Lukaku. A decision that has cost us dearly in my opinion as we cant score goals and are utterly dependent on Rashford who is not good enough to be a striker. Ole will regret it when he is back in Norway with his P45
I thinks it's perfectly reasonable to start the season with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood. An early injury to a vital player has cost us, like it would do with most squads.

I think the real issue is the lack of creativity in midfield that has slowly got worse over the last 10 years.

Slysi17

You can't judge his signings yet. Also Daniel James was average in the game against AZ Alkmaar. It's still only October. There form could literally still fall off a cliff.

Eric's Seagull

I think we should have got rid of Lukaku sooner giving Ole time to get a replacement in. I agree with the point you made that we should have got a replacement in first but I think that is also down to Woodward. I don't think Woodward would have got a replacement in first as we he would have had forked out money and potentially got stuck with Luakaku.

Marcelinho87

You can't judge his signings yet. Also Daniel James was average in the game against AZ Alkmaar. It's still only October. There form could literally still fall off a cliff.
Of course it could but then Rashy and co could become world beaters for the remainder of the season.

Fact is so far his signings have been the only good in a poor start.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Is this a bit overrated though, the credit for signing these players.

£80 million on a CB and £50 million on a RB, that's the kind of money that is going to guarantee good players.

James has been great, I got a sneaking feeling though that he was probably a recommendation from Giggs.

Not downplaying Ole's role completely. but the idea you spend £130 m on two defenders and they're not good is a bit preposterous.

Eric's Seagull

£80 million on a CB and £50 million on a RB, that's the kind of money that is going to guarantee good players.

James has been great, I got a sneaking feeling though that he was probably a recommendation from Giggs.

Not downplaying Ole's role completely. but the idea you spend £130 m on two defenders and they're not good is a bit preposterous.
If you pay that type of money for players you would expect the players to do well but I don't think there is a guarantee that they are going to play well.

ottosec

Oh shit, damn. I forgot you have his philosophy on a pamphlet.... :yawn:

Put it this way, if we sack Ole how long do we give the next guy, and the one after that? When does it finally get in that for us to move forward it is going to take multiple years?

Now I am not saying Ole is the right man to do that cause I dunno, he could be? He could well not be.

Either way his signings have come in and looked good while the remaining players are letting them down as per.

We'll see in a couple of months how the signings are doing, I suppose. If Ole is still here, of course.

I believe that 10 months, which include a pre-season with the whole squad, it's enough time for any manager to prove themselves.

I do not know if the next guy will be good or not, but I do know that Ole isn't good enough.

Roykeaneismagic

I'd personally give ole until Xmas, yes he has to revamp a very average squad of players but i cant see any kind of improvement or style to our play, we are clueless in the last third of the pitch which in my opinion can only be down to poor coaching. Ole was a legend as a player but unfortunately i think he's way out of his depth as manager of our club.

Marcelinho87

It certainly should but nothing is guaranteed.

Now that clubs can dictate fees rather than not being able to turn them down puts that idea to rest.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sky interview:

On: Form / Newcastle Game
"Of course you don't enjoy not winning games," he told Sky Sports. "You put your heart, life and soul into this job. If you win games you are happier, your mood changes but it doesn't mean your performances have been better - results change mood.

"For us to get a result [at Newcastle] is vital now. I think it will change the mood.

"The boys can go away on their international break and freshen up their heads."

On: Fans
"The fans are great I have to say. It's easy to be positive when I see them, they have been very positive with me. They see what you are doing and they keep going.

"We want to pay them back for their loyalty and support by getting better results and better performances. I can assure them we are working hard to do so."

On: Fitness and Injuries
"You have to be fit in modern football and we haven't worked them too hard, no,"

"The work has been great. I trust my staff, the sports science, the physios and the coaches - they're great, absolutely spot on.

"If you see the work behind the scenes, if you were in my shoes, you'd say 'there are things happening that are going the right way'.

"The injuries we have had are frustrating of course but they are part and parcel of being a footballer."

On: Rom & his replacement
"I can say [I am a striker short], but that was the decision that I made and I made it happily."

"When you have players, [they may have] great potential, but Romelu's head was not here for us working forward as a group.

"I don't want to speak too much about other players. I have got lots of respects for Romelu but his time was up here.

"We are very happy with the recruitment we did. Towards the end the right one we just didn't get him over the line.

"You'd rather bite the bullet and wait because you don't want to spend big amounts of money on something that you are not sure of."

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sky interview:

On: Form / Newcastle Game
"Of course you don't enjoy not winning games," he told Sky Sports. "You put your heart, life and soul into this job. If you win games you are happier, your mood changes but it doesn't mean your performances have been better - results change mood.

"For us to get a result [at Newcastle] is vital now. I think it will change the mood.

"The boys can go away on their international break and freshen up their heads."

On: Fans
"The fans are great I have to say. It's easy to be positive when I see them, they have been very positive with me. They see what you are doing and they keep going.

"We want to pay them back for their loyalty and support by getting better results and better performances. I can assure them we are working hard to do so."

On: Fitness and Injuries
"You have to be fit in modern football and we haven't worked them too hard, no,"

"The work has been great. I trust my staff, the sports science, the physios and the coaches - they're great, absolutely spot on.

"If you see the work behind the scenes, if you were in my shoes, you'd say 'there are things happening that are going the right way'.

"The injuries we have had are frustrating of course but they are part and parcel of being a footballer."

On: Rom & his replacement
"I can say [I am a striker short], but that was the decision that I made and I made it happily."

"When you have players, [they may have] great potential, but Romelu's head was not here for us working forward as a group.

"I don't want to speak too much about other players. I have got lots of respects for Romelu but his time was up here.

"We are very happy with the recruitment we did. Towards the end the right one we just didn't get him over the line.

"You'd rather bite the bullet and wait because you don't want to spend big amounts of money on something that you are not sure of."

I actually do agree with him about the panic buy move for a fortune, but why leave it so late? Is he talking about a Dybala or surely with a bit more foresight they could have got a Mandzukic or Llorente over the line?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There you guys he he has confirmed it himself. He made the decision not to replace Lukaku. This was not on Ed to go into the season with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. Ole should be fired for gross negligence.

I can say [I am a striker short], but that was the decision that I made and I made it happily," Solskjaer told Sky Sports.

"When you have players, [they may have] great potential, but Romelu's head was not here for us working forward as a group
Don't read too much into his comments. Part of me can see Ole going to Ed and saying," don't worry boss, I've got this covered." Trying to impress, then another part of me thinks there's no way he can be so naive.

But the biggest part of me thinks that Ed gave him instructions to get rid of the highest earners and it was Ed who (purposely) left it so late to get rid of them so there was no time in finding replacements. Clubs who are serious don't leave things to the last second.

Greck

Don't read too much into his comments. Part of me can see Ole going to Ed and saying," don't worry boss, I've got this covered." Trying to impress, then another part of me thinks there's no way he can be so naive.

But the biggest part of me thinks that Ed gave him instructions to get rid of the highest earners and it was Ed who (purposely) left it so late to get rid of them so there was no time in finding replacements. Clubs who are serious don't leave things to the last second.
:rolleyes:
Everybody wants to blame the board for decisions their favourite manager made. Jose fans ignoring his own quotes confirming he bought a player and now this

Eric's Seagull

I don't think Ole would be that naive. I completely agree with the part in bold.
If Ole is not happy with us not getting replacements in, I don't think he is going come out and say that he is hot happy that he didn't get player "x".

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This is exactly the problem. It’s quite obvious he just wants to be everyone’s friend and doesn’t have the balls to slam the players when they don’t perform. He won’t shout, he won’t drop players, he won’t say boo to a goose.

That is a very dangerous way of managing and it simply doesn’t work.

Doing the complete opposite is also a problem of course. See José for what happens there.
Real clear huh. You don’t know and no one can say for certainty what goes on behind the scenes.

But yes let’s keep Ole bashing because it’s cool. Great work.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ‘lost it’ in furious dressing room rant at Man Utd squad after Southampton draw

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...jaer-furious-dressing-room-rant-10680672/amp/

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
:rolleyes:
Everybody wants to blame the board for decisions their favourite manager made. Jose fans ignoring his own quotes confirming he bought a player and now this
It's been obvious for quite a while Ole isn't the man to take us forward but I was prepared to give him at least 1 more window but that was before the Astana, Rochdale, Arsenal and AZ games. Now I'm firmly in the Ole out camp so I'm not going to back Ole if I think he doesn't have a case.

He admitted he was a striker short but the next bit, about it was him that made the decision and he made it happily is the sort of comment you'd make if you had a gun to your head.

Wolff

Mate. Not the quickest of cats, I’m sure. But here is what was said. “We had one option” “wasn’t to sure on him” Here is the thing. It could be anyone. It could be to expensive,but most likely it was a shit option. Certainly not a better option than giving Mason game time, or else they would move on it, right?

Also, through April and May. Anyone leaving needs to be replaced. Anyone leaving needs to be replaced. One more time. Anyone leaving needs to be replaced. Then, AFTER the window shut. “I am happy with the squad”. Think that is the intelligent response to a question. A way of installing faith in the ones you have, and not rocking the boat. Another thing Ole is famous for. Managing large squads and keeping players happy.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Will the pressure ramp up on him when we drop points again today at Newcastle? Any pressure at all? Surely he needs to start being held accountable in some shape or form.

tompo18

I don't think we can look into his comments too seriously. Different managers will have different ways of dealing with the press.

What we can look at are the teams performances on the pitch.

These have been bad for quite a while now, what worries me more is that there is no obvious progression or style. Initially I thought we were playing with more energy and pressing however that seems to have disappeared now.

On the positive side we have made some decent signings, with players that look like they have some hunger.

Stacks

Management is far more than transfer in transfer out. That's a director of football role you got there. Has his signings even "transformed" us? I'd say no. They were necessary improvements but just that alone is not going to do wonders. Technically with his signings we are still worse off than last year in terms of our start and the bad run stretches back to when he had the previous squad

Mainoldo

Mate. Not the quickest of cats, I’m sure. But here is what was said. “We had one option” “wasn’t to sure on him” Here is the thing. It could be anyone. It could be to expensive,but most likely it was a shit option. Certainly not a better option than giving Mason game time, or else they would move on it, right?

Also, through April and May. Anyone leaving needs to be replaced. Anyone leaving needs to be replaced. One more time. Anyone leaving needs to be replaced. Then, AFTER the window shut. “I am happy with the squad”. Think that is the intelligent response to a question. A way of installing faith in the ones you have, and not rocking the boat. Another thing Ole is famous for. Managing large squads and keeping players happy.
Dybala or Greenwood.?? I think only a stupid manager would choose the latter :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.