Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

What is sacking Ole going to do? Who do we bring in? Things are going terribly but I really don't see what we can do to fix it with the squad available to us currently - any other manager we bring in will be destined to fail as well until they have a chance to bring some more quality in.

This isn't to say I think Ole is doing anything other than a poor job, he clearly is. I just don't think rushing someone else in here who we will also inevitably have to sack is a good option either.

The most frustrating thing for me with Ole is that he says all the right things about bringing through youth etc and then sticks with the same old players who we know clearly are not good enough. Mata, Young, Periera, bringing in Rojo yesterday, etc., they have very clearly proven they are not working yet he'd rather stick with them than give a chance to someone else. Not that throwing youth in to the firing line is the answer - but neither is what he's doing.
The squad Ole had available yesterday was more than good enough to beat Newcastle. Same for AZ, same for Rochdale etc. Bad coaching combined with average players is what happens to teams that get relegated.

If we bring someone in who can actually coach it might stabilize the season, before Ole takes us down (which is a very realistic thing).

JoaquinJoaquin

Honestly, the decision to appoint Solskjaer before the end of the last season has to be some form of managerial negligence. You do not have to be a CEO to be able to see that that was a terrible decision to make even at the time it was undertaken. The decision was completely rushed for no reason. Had we have waited until the summer, I highly doubt he would have ever got the role permanently based on the results towards the end.

He is clearly not capable of managing at this level. He has taken a weak team and has made them worse. He has managed to strip the attack of depth and failed to replace midfielders. His tactics and the playstyle are diabolical. His managerial history is poor. Overall, he is arguably one of the worst managers I have ever seen in the Premier League. We are far worse now than we were under Mourinho last season.

The only reason people were happy with having him appointed is because he was a legend. Those fans bought into the dream that an ex-player will take as back to the top. The funny thing is, some of those same people would have been outraged had we got Allardyce or Howe as managers, who, in reality, are far better than Solskjaer, who is the equivalent of a league 2 manager.

Anyone we get to replace Solskjaer will be an improvement, whether it be Allardyce, Howe or Hodgson. This is the result of us appointing Solskjaer as manager.
Good post. Totally agree.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Honestly, the decision to appoint Solskjaer before the end of the last season has to be some form of managerial negligence. You do not have to be a CEO to be able to see that that was a terrible decision to make even at the time it was undertaken. The decision was completely rushed for no reason. Had we have waited until the summer, I highly doubt he would have ever got the role permanently based on the results towards the end.

He is clearly not capable of managing at this level. He has taken a weak team and has made them worse. He has managed to strip the attack of depth and failed to replace midfielders. His tactics and the playstyle are diabolical. His managerial history is poor. Overall, he is arguably one of the worst managers I have ever seen in the Premier League. We are far worse now than we were under Mourinho last season.

The only reason people were happy with having him appointed is because he was a legend. Those fans bought into the dream that an ex-player will take as back to the top. The funny thing is, some of those same people would have been outraged had we got Allardyce or Howe as managers, who, in reality, are far better than Solskjaer, who is the equivalent of a league 2 manager.

Anyone we get to replace Solskjaer will be an improvement, whether it be Allardyce, Howe or Hodgson. This is the result of us appointing a manager of such a low level as Solskjaer.
Good post, agree.

Marcelinho87

Am I the only one that thinks his signings weren't that great?

80 million for Maguire wasnt exactly a shrewd buy at that price and defensively I still dont see him better than smalling. It speaks volumes that Leicester aren't really missing him at all.

40 million for bisska is a good buy if you want to play pragmatic football but if you want us to play exciting attacking football then he's a hinderance on that right wing just like Valencia and young were.

James - had a good start with a few goals but doesn't really have much else about him aside from pace, he seems to be one trick pony when taking defenders on where he just hopes to beat them for pace which a good defender can handle easily and he's not creating anything for our strikers. Tbh I see very little difference between him and adama traore.

Overall it looks like Solskjear has just gone for physical attributes over real ability needed in those positions
AWB has got up the pitch quite well but Rashford is NEVER in the box to receive anything so it ends up coming back, he will improve at this as he gets older.

James has created a load of chances, his crosses have been dangerous, low and across the face of goal but again, nobody in our team is busting a gut to convert these chances...

Nobody can create for Rashford cause he is too busy pissing about outside the box hitting it into row z, he doesn't have the intelligence to lead the line.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The "Theory" of appointing him early was that we'd be more "settled" and more top players would consider joining us, with a manager in place. So in effect it cost us from the sort of handicapped transfer window LVG had, when he was on holiday for ages until officially joining.

Obviously in reality, we didn't use that extra time to do much at all, as all the transfers we made were fairly drawn out affairs

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Football, bloody hell.

Its one 90 minute game of football, anything can happen. Maybe the Pool game will be a turning point for us(It won't be) or we will just get smashed 4 - 0. Ole and the team are despite how it looks trying to wins these games, their aren't losing to annoy people on here. And if we somehow win against Pool I'll be over the moon(Especially considering how shite we are), I certainly won't get be angry at the team or Ole.
Ok, fair enough. I will want him sacked if we win vs Liverpool just to get a 0-0 the following week!

dove

Am I the only one that thinks his signings weren't that great?

80 million for Maguire wasnt exactly a shrewd buy at that price and defensively I still dont see him better than smalling. It speaks volumes that Leicester aren't really missing him at all.

40 million for bisska is a good buy if you want to play pragmatic football but if you want us to play exciting attacking football then he's a hinderance on that right wing just like Valencia and young were.

James - had a good start with a few goals but doesn't really have much else about him aside from pace, he seems to be one trick pony when taking defenders on where he just hopes to beat them for pace which a good defender can handle easily and he's not creating anything for our strikers. Tbh I see very little difference between him and adama traore.

Overall it looks like Solskjear has just gone for physical attributes over real ability needed in those positions
You are not the only one, no. It's funny seeing the main argument for keeping Ole is that he made "brilliant" signings. You would think we spent £30m for all these players and they turned out to be great while in fact we are talking about £150m.

LonelyFire

The arguments for keeping Ole are not related to what’s happening on the pitch. That speaks volumes in itself.

Anustart89

What annoys me is that there’s not a single attacking move that seems like it’s been practiced in training.

I mean off the top of my head I can think of having the winger cut inside as the full-back overlaps. Winger passes it to CM who’s moved forward, chips it over the back line / slides it between center half and full back into the overlapping full back of ours who squares it for a striker who’s attacking the net.

But nothing. It’s basically just give the ball to someone and then telling him ‘try to make something happen’.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You are not the only one, no. It's funny seeing the main argument for keeping Ole is that he made "brilliant" signings. You would think we spent £30m for all these players and they turned out to be great while in fact we are talking about £150m.
Not only that. There is also the presumptive narrative that these 3 signings been complete successes.

When in reality we’ve barely played 10 games, AWB got an injury, and we are in terrible form.

Complete success can be judged after a full season, and the players concerned should have elavated the team to be playing better, measurable in contribution and output.

In my opinion all one can deduce so far is that none of been abject failures, and even if they were, that’s also allowed as they adjust.

Luke1995

Much worse than late 70s/early 80s! Sure there were disappointments (two cup final defeats) but the only really poor season was Sexton’s last: 80/81.

Apart from the early 70s when there was a total failure by the Board to back the manager by replacing past-it players, United in the post Busby-pre Fergie era were rarely terrible, and the football was generally of a decent quality. The overwhelming characteristic of the era was one of underachievement; that we just needed to be that tiny bit better in order to be really good. That’s hardly been the case over the last six months :annoyed:
I thought it was similar because of Liverpool's dominance and we struggling to keep pace with them

Anustart89

Not only that. There is also the presumptive narrative that these 3 signings been complete successes.

When in reality we’ve barely played 10 games, AWB got an injury, and we are in terrible form.

Complete success can be judged after a full season, and the players concerned should have elavated the team to be playing better, measurable in contribution and output.

In my opinion all one can deduce so far is that none of been abject failures, and even if they were, that’s also allowed as they adjust.
The people hailing his signings are conveniently ignoring that signing decent players means feck all if you can’t make them play well. James has hardly pulled up any trees over the past 3-4 games so there’s an argument that he’s become worse if you are inclined to judge players after 3 games.

Maticmaker

What annoys me is that there’s not a single attacking move that seems like it’s been practiced in training.

I mean off the top of my head I can think of having the winger cut inside as the full-back overlaps. Winger passes it to CM who’s moved forward, chips it over the back line / slides it between center half and full back into the overlapping full back of ours who squares it for a striker who’s attacking the net.

But nothing. It’s basically just give the ball to someone and then telling him ‘try to make something happen’.
I agree, I've often wondered what they do practice in training? Sometimes especially in games like yesterday the only thing the players have in common is that they are all wearing the same kit. Even the little passing 'triangle's they do try from time to time, look awkward and forced.

Anticipation and timing are massive issues for all our players, thank goodness two of the new lads, Maguire and AWB are looking like experts (well against the rest of the squad!). Some of it is really basic stuff, like taking up positions in the box, Greenwood at least 'looked likely' at times yesterday, but Rashford is not a 'box player' he does not have the predator instinct.. Moving to find space, or as Scholsey used to do at times, just standing still, but presenting a target, is becoming rarer, especially as a game progresses . Wanting ball to feet all the time is becoming more prevalent, not less. Tony Martial was guilty of this many times, but now others are taking that easy/lazy option. Hunting the ball down, or as its now called pressing, is a joke, we move at the wrong time, come in at the wrong angles to close down players, when we do press properly we do it once or twice then give up.

As I said above, wonder what they do practice in training?

Baneofthegame

I agree, I've often wondered what they do practice in training? Sometimes especially in games like yesterday the only thing the players have in common is that they are all wearing the same kit. Even the little passing 'triangle's they do try from time to time, look awkward and forced.

Anticipation and timing are massive issues for all our players, thank goodness two of the new lads, Maguire and AWB are looking like experts (well against the rest of the squad!). Some of it is really basic stuff, like taking up positions in the box, Greenwood at least 'looked likely' at times yesterday, but Rashford is not a 'box player' he does not have the predator instinct.. Moving to find space, or as Scholsey used to do at times, just standing still, but presenting a target, is becoming rarer, especially as a game progresses . Wanting ball to feet all the time is becoming more prevalent, not less. Tony Martial was guilty of this many times, but now others are taking that easy/lazy option. Hunting the ball down, or as its now called pressing, is a joke, we move at the wrong time, come in at the wrong angles to close down players, when we do press properly we do it once or twice then give up.

As I said above, wonder what they do practice in training?
Agree with all of this, its unbelievable how we look at times.

Icemav

That isn't implied whatsoever.

I have no doubt that our players and coaches are doing the best they can with the best of intentions. The only logical option we have is to support these lads to turn the results around. Only if we are flirting with relegation in Feb should we consider a managerial change (as an emergency measure) otherwise stick with Ole until the end of the season.

Xaviboy

It's only going to get worse after international break. Liverpool at home. They wont even have to get out of 2nd gear to beat us and beat us well at this rate. Players at the club don't have the right mentality and be like watching the game last year at Anfield, the gulf in class will show. Talking nonsence again in post match interview. Who cares if players can run more then last season. No improvement on other aspects of the game going forward. Rashford is not a number 9. All hope is on martial now and pogba returning to full fitness and push us up the table with goals and creativity but we all know both of them are not consistent. I'm expecting him to be sacked come end of October/November. The team look like a bunch of bad trialists put together over night and told to do what ever you want on the pitch. The team/squad don't look coached and you wonder what is being done on the training ground.

Toni Roncoroni

We can talk about the incoming or outgoing transfers as long as we want. If our mister nice guy is the victim of it or if he was the partner in crime of ed during the summer.

It's obvious that our recruiting was really bad. We missed targets who would have improved us. A lot of us were happy to wait another 6-12 months to get the right players in. But where are we now? We look lost!

Those players won't join us in the next windows. Why would they? We have a manager who has no clue and the whole club is a mess. Ole obviously thought he can handle the Premier League with this team and getting us into the top 5.

I wouldn't mind being 6th at the end of the season to be honest, if our playing-style would be getting better. But actually I see a team getting worse from week to week.

Revaulx

I thought it was similar because of Liverpool's dominance and we struggling to keep pace with them
To an extent, but Liverpool weren’t quite the Great Satan they are these days. The huge rivalry with Leeds was still a recent thing, and Liverpool only became a major force in the mid-70s. Plus we used to beat them (Liverpool) regularly, even when we weren’t great :drool:

Revaulx

The "Theory" of appointing him early was that we'd be more "settled" and more top players would consider joining us, with a manager in place. So in effect it cost us from the sort of handicapped transfer window LVG had, when he was on holiday for ages until officially joining.

Obviously in reality, we didn't use that extra time to do much at all, as all the transfers we made were fairly drawn out affairs
Wasn’t that Moyes? LvG was taking Holland to a World Cup semi-final.

Code-CX

I'm genuinely dumbfounded how he still hasn't been sacked. Is it too much to ask for one season where Woodward doesn't monumentally screw up our season in some way?

JoaquinJoaquin

So there we have it. The club briefing that they hope to cling on with Ole until January.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Simon Stone BBC: The big question is whether United will stand by the 46-year-old if the present situation gets worse.

However, there is a very real fear from some inside the club that should Liverpool inflict a heavy defeat on United on 20 October, the external reaction may create pressure they find too hard to resist.

This would be regarded as unfair by those who feel Solskjaer's three signings have been positive additions but only represent the first phase of what needs to be achieved.

However, the alternate view is that Solskjaer is not up to the job and a defeat by Liverpool would merely confirm it.

Either way, the next two weeks are not going to be easy for anyone connected with Manchester United.

Manchester United: How bad is the latest crisis for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49964486

Idxomer

He has to go now. A heavy defeat to the best team in Europe isn't worse than the loses to WHU, CP and Newcastle.

MaroonDevil

I think Ole is trying to copy Man City and Barcelona's style of football by passing ball and control the ball. However the quality of United players are horrible. Fred is FAKE Brazilian. I am wondering what make Ole thinks that this bunch of clowns are going to be the great footballers. Young could not pass. Fred is Fred for several years now. Fred will never turn to be Messi or Kante. You could not put a bunch of clowns and together turn to be a great team.

United won 4-0 over Chelsea. If you watched the game we did not play that great. I am sad and never thought that United is this bad.

Sterling Archer

Kind of surprised that sort of noise is coming out already, thought we’d hold on much much longer.
I remember being astonished last season when we barely beat Reading at home in the FA Cup. This was just about the tail end of the Ole's winning run. It was an awful display and I remember thinking that it was a red flag amidst positivity of what's to come. Signs were there early on. The summer was the death knell with all this talk of rejecting quality players because they didn't fit the United mould.

red4ever 79

Simon Stone BBC: The big question is whether United will stand by the 46-year-old if the present situation gets worse.

However, there is a very real fear from some inside the club that should Liverpool inflict a heavy defeat on United on 20 October, the external reaction may create pressure they find too hard to resist.

This would be regarded as unfair by those who feel Solskjaer's three signings have been positive additions but only represent the first phase of what needs to be achieved.

However, the alternate view is that Solskjaer is not up to the job and a defeat by Liverpool would merely confirm it.

Either way, the next two weeks are not going to be easy for anyone connected with Manchester United.

Manchester United: How bad is the latest crisis for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49964486
Simon Stone is usually bang on about Utd, has good contacts inside the club. Sounds like a briefing from the club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

If they base decisions on the future of the club on 'external reactions' then we're in even bigger trouble than it looks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do the board not watch the games? We aren't going to get close to avoiding defeat against Liverpool, how is that going to confirm anything?
genuinely don’t think they do.

they probably get a monthly update of results, the glazers don’t even live in the UK.

I doubt Woodward is painting a bad picture to them either, as it makes him look bad also. I’m sure he’s preaching patience and “it’ll all come together”.

I desperately hope there’s a magical switch he can flick and get it back to how we played at the start, but I’m just not sure. One thing for sure he needs pogba,martial,shaw,AWB back for Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.