Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

Against Norwich it was understandable because we were cruising and could not afford any more injuries by running themselves into the ground. I cringed when Martial took a hard knock in the second half and was holding his leg getting up.
Our lack of depth in the squad doesn’t help when you look at our bench compared to the big boys and some of the not so big boys come to that. Like I said all that can be fixed given time.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Pre game tactics mostly good. In-game management (and probably half time team talks) appalling.
I think it needs to be considered that we are a young team that are somewhat lacking in experience, and game management. Clearly we start matches better than we finish them in general. I believe this squad will get better at seeing out winning positions as they grow together, plus getting a 2nd or 3rd goal is always helpful. We managed that twice this season.

Alabaster Codify7

Pre game tactics mostly good. In-game management (and probably half time team talks) appalling.

Very interesting. Ole's in-game management always stands out as being very basic, as is his use of substitutions. He dithers too much and seems hesitant to change something that appears to be cracking under pressure.

Anyone heard the South Africa half time team in the rugby yesterday :eek:
No, expand?

Irwin99

The culture of the club is everything when it comes to it's potential for success. Too many players was getting complacent under the three previous managers. Changing that culture to a one that's performance oriented is not "crap". It's essential.
The thing is though, we heard the exact same things under LVG that were leaked to the press. How he wanted to change the culture after Moyes, how he made the players sit together more often, how he made sure everyone at the club from the groundsman to the chef felt valued (I particularly remember that story :lol: ) and how he got rid of the deadwood (and brought in more deadwood). IF Ole gets the sack and is replaced I won't be surprised to hear a lot of stories leak out about how bad it was and how the new manager is bringing the squad together and all that crap.

I guess as fans we never really know what's going on behind the scenes but the club sure knows how to spin stories.

fergiesarmy1

Very interesting. Ole's in-game management always stands out as being very basic, as is his use of substitutions. He dithers too much and seems hesitant to change something that appears to be cracking under pressure.

No, expand?
Very funny 2 and a half minute rant where he drops the F-bomb about hundred times, tells them they are playing 12 year olds and to f-off home.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Hardly a surprise. When we are leading at HT, we come out into 2nd half with a very defensive mindset, giving away all possession and inviting a lot of pressure which inevitably leads to a conceded goal. Same happened against Norwich but they just lacked the quality.
Any credit for being ahead in the first place?

ash_86

Good find. We need to accept that Ole is also learning his trade in the big man's league as our young players. Hopefully both the players and him will get better over the coarse of six to twelve months.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Permanent manager comparisons. Who is the odd one out?

Win Rate
Solskjaer: Win Rate - 24%
Mourinho: Win Rate - 58.33%
Van Gaal: Win Rate - 52.43%
Moyes: Win Rate - 52.94 %
Ferguson: Win Rate - 59.67%

Goals scored per game:
Solskjaer: Goals Scored - 0.84
Mourinho: Goals Scored - 1.69
Van Gaal: Goals Scored - 1.53
Moyes: Goals Scored - 1.68
Ferguson: Goals Scored - 1.85

Goals conceded per game:
Solskjaer: Goals Conceded - 1.32
Mourinho: Goals Conceded - 0.84
Van Gaal: Goals Conceded - 0.95
Moyes: Goals Conceded - 1.04
Ferguson: Goals Conceded - 0.91

I bolded them in case anyone had difficulty.
@Damien @Niall - this post has been put on Twitter without accreditation (unless @NewtonHeathYRC is @Untd55 ?) and liked by Duncan Castles.

Gasolin

Why do they only focus on the permanent manager stuff? Ole has been managing those guys from the beginning, it didn't change. We have a confidence issue to fix, but it's unfair to just focus on the permanent manager stuff. That's really BS.

JustW

Why do they only focus on the permanent manager stuff? Ole has been managing those guys from the beginning, it didn't change. We have a confidence issue to fix, but it's unfair to just focus on the permanent manager stuff. That's really BS.
Yeah..don’t get that either. Anyone comes up with the stats that suit their view I guess. Just ridiculous in my opinion and even more BS when these stats are from an end of league season to a new league season with a 2 months break between the matches.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Yeah..don’t get that either. Anyone comes up with the stats that suit their view I guess. Just ridiculous in my opinion and even more BS when these stats are from an end of league season to a new league season with a 2 months break between the matches.
From Solskjær's full period in charge, including yesterday's win vs Norwich:

(Stats as of 28/10/2019)

Manager Comparisons

Win Rate

Solskjær: 51% Source
Mourinho: 58% Source
Van Gaal: 52% Source
Moyes: 51% Source

Goals Scored per Match

Solskjær: 1.46
Mourinho: 1.68
Van Gaal: 1.53
Moyes: 1.68

Goals Conceded per Match

Solskjær: 1.09
Mourinho: 0.83
Van Gaal: 0.96
Moyes: 1.08

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Some other historical manager comparisons of interest, Hodgson (2010), Dalglish (2011) & Rodgers (2012-2015) records at Liverpool, Di Matteo (2012) & Benitez (2013) records at Chelsea:

(Stats as of 28/10/2019)

Win Rate:

Hodgson: 42% Source
Dalglish: 49% Source
Rodgers: 51% Source
Di Matteo: 59% Source
Benitez: 58% Source

Goals Scored per Match

Hodgson: 1.38
Dalglish: 1.59
Rodgers: 1.77
Di Matteo: 2.19
Benitez: 2.06

Goals Conceded per Match

Hodgson: 0.84
Dalglish: 1.01
Rodgers: 1.21
Di Matteo: 1.33
Benitez: 1.02

Last edited:

ReddBalls

The thing is though, we heard the exact same things under LVG that were leaked to the press. How he wanted to change the culture after Moyes, how he made the players sit together more often, how he made sure everyone at the club from the groundsman to the chef felt valued (I particularly remember that story :lol: ) and how he got rid of the deadwood (and brought in more deadwood). IF Ole gets the sack and is replaced I won't be surprised to hear a lot of stories leak out about how bad it was and how the new manager is bringing the squad together and all that crap.

I guess as fans we never really know what's going on behind the scenes but the club sure knows how to spin stories.
They actually look like they're working for each other, so he must be doing something right. And, I might be wrong about this, but there does not seem to be a lot of noise around the players either in traditional or social media since the start of the season. There were a lot of leaks during Moyes and LvG's reign (probably Rooney), and a lot of crap on social media during Mous reign. Seems like so far Ole has this more under control. Pogba has not uttered a word since the start of the summer.

Leftback99

Some other historical manager comparisons of interest, Hodgson (2010), Dalglish (2011) & Rodgers (2012-2015) records at Liverpool, Di Matteo (2012) & Benitez (2013) records at Chelsea:

(Stats as of 28/10/2019)

Win Rate:

Goals Scored per Match

Goals Conceded per Match

None of these are of interest.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Why is it always ying yang. Not everything is a Psychological hidden motive. He said he decided to keep the squad so thin and I believe him. You can’t believe in this culture crap they have been banging on about and then don’t believe he wasn’t willing to just sign a player for the sack of it. He decided not to look outside of his options and this is where we are at.

It will either be a good decision or bad. But right now it’s looking very bad. Ole can just be wrong all buy himself you know. We don’t always have to criticise the board for things we don’t like.
Of course, and he is by no means infallible, but AFAIK we had no promising targets that fell through because Ole vetoed it and none of us know what was said between him and Woody behind closed doors. And its not about hidden motives or stupid mindgames or anything, rather the simple fact of the manager either publicly backing his players or criticizing them, and personally i much prefer the former over the latter

Also, either way it is pure speculation but i sincerely doubt he willingly went into the season with only two senior strikers at the club and having to rely so much on the likes of Fred if he had potential targets available and funds to spend. Either that and he did not want to look outside his options as you said, but as reckless as we have been in the market in recent years i think some caution is warranted.

TheRedDevil2019

So the wins are thanks to Ole and losses are thanks to players?
Oh come on, use some common sense. If Rashford misses a penalty, how can you blame Ole for that? If De Gea makes an uncanny howler, again you're clutching at the sack straws to blame Ole for that.

el3mel

Oh come on, use some common sense. If Rashford misses a penalty, how can you blame Ole for that? If De Gea makes an uncanny howler, again you're clutching at the sack straws to blame Ole for that.
You realize how ridiculous that sounds ? We need a pen to score more than 1 goal against the mighty Palace at Old Trafford.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You realize how ridiculous that sounds ? We need a pen to score more than 1 goal against the mighty Palace at Old Trafford.
You should now expect comments explaining how good palace are since they beat city once and drew at Arsenal.

TheRedDevil2019

A Palace side who up until yesterday had the fourth-best defense in the league, your expectations are misjudged. You're the one sounding ridiculous. Oh, and speaking of which you may not have noticed it (watching on the tele) but for us regular match goers, we could see the amount of play-acting, off-ball antics and blatant cheating from most Palace players on a scale not seen for some time.

el3mel

A Palace side who up until yesterday had the fourth-best defense in the league, your expectations are misjudged. You're the one sounding ridiculous. Oh, and speaking of which you may not have noticed it (watching on the tele) but for us regular match goers, we could see the amount of play-acting, off-ball antics and blatant cheating from most Palace players on a scale not seen for some time.
Spurs who are having their worst season put 4 past them.
City put 2 past them.
Arsenal put 2 past them and had a 3rd disallowed.

But we couldn't get more than 1 goal against them and needed a pen to be able to manage that because they're great defensively or something.

Mainoldo

Of course, and he is by no means infallible, but AFAIK we had no promising targets that fell through because Ole vetoed it and none of us know what was said between him and Woody behind closed doors. And its not about hidden motives or stupid mindgames or anything, rather the simple fact of the manager either publicly backing his players or criticizing them, and personally i much prefer the former over the latter

Also, either way it is pure speculation but i sincerely doubt he willingly went into the season with only two senior strikers at the club and having to rely so much on the likes of Fred if he had potential targets available and funds to spend. Either that and he did not want to look outside his options as you said, but as reckless as we have been in the market in recent years i think some caution is warranted.
Yes all good... but you still haven't explained to me why not? If he wanted a CM and his only targets from the 'committee' was Declan Rice, Sean Longstaff and Eriksen. There is a strong possibility that you will be left empty handed. Therefore he has a choice.. either dip into the transfer committee barrel and find a new target or leave it until something else comes up later down the line. You're issue is you think i'm critising him for doing what is blatantly the wrong thing. But i cannot critise him for doing what a majority of manager at the top level do every summer........

Example... Zinedine Zidane wanted one CM.. Paul Pogba. When he heard from Real or United that this wasn't going to happen. He didn't look for an alternative (Van Der Beek, Eriksen, Bruno Fernandez etc..) he said FU i'm sticking with what I have then.

My problem with Ole and this transfer window is.. him and 'committee' picked a bunch of crap attacking targets (allegedly). The CM argument also stands for the striker argument. We clearly went for Dybala and when that feel through, there was no plan B or F.

tomaldinho1

They actually look like they're working for each other, so he must be doing something right. And, I might be wrong about this, but there does not seem to be a lot of noise around the players either in traditional or social media since the start of the season. There were a lot of leaks during Moyes and LvG's reign (probably Rooney), and a lot of crap on social media during Mous reign. Seems like so far Ole has this more under control. Pogba has not uttered a word since the start of the summer.
I was thinking this the other day but, somewhat pessimistically, I doubt it has anything to do with Ole's control but rather Pogba finding that years of yo-yo form, a high salary, a high transfer fee and FFP are likely meaning it's quite hard for clubs to sign him. Given our trajectory, it's a matter of when not if he will be sold however.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yes all good... but you still haven't explained to me why not? If he wanted a CM and his only targets from the 'committee' was Declan Rice, Sean Longstaff and Eriksen. There is a strong possibility that you will be left empty handed. Therefore he has a choice.. either dip into the transfer committee barrel and find a new target or leave it until something else comes up later down the line. You're issue is you think i'm critising him for doing what is blatantly the wrong thing. But i cannot critise him for doing what a majority of manager at the top level do every summer........

Example... Zinedine Zidane wanted one CM.. Paul Pogba. When he heard from Real or United that this wasn't going to happen. He didn't look for an alternative (Van Der Beek, Eriksen, Bruno Fernandez etc..) he said FU i'm sticking with what I have then.

My problem with Ole and this transfer window is.. him and 'committee' picked a bunch of crap attacking targets (allegedly). The CM argument also stands for the striker argument. We clearly went for Dybala and when that feel through, there was no plan B or F.
Ok, seems i misunderstood you. Fair point, and ideally yes another signing or two would not have hurt at all, but imo there are too many unknowns here to make any certain claims and although Ole said he was happy with the squad, i think he would be much more happy if we could get another attacker and another CM.

Maybe Woody wanted him to trim down the wage bill before we made more new signings? I think we both agree on that we still have some dead weight in the squad we need to lose

Handré1990

Ok, seems i misunderstood you. Fair point, and ideally yes another signing or two would not have hurt at all, but imo there are too many unknowns here to make any certain claims and although Ole said he was happy with the squad, i think he would be much more happy if we could get another attacker and another CM.

Maybe Woody wanted him to trim down the wage bill before we made more new signings? I think we both agree on that we still have some dead weight in the squad we need to lose
He said pretty early in the window that if Lukaku went we’d get a replacement. So both sides are possible.

Davìd Moyéz

Thinking that sacking this incompetent fool will result in a half empty stadium is hilarious.
I can understand not thinking Ole is the man to take us forward but how can you be a United fan and have this opinion of him is beyond me.

90 + 5min

(Stats as of 28/10/2019)

Win Rate:

Goals Scored per Match

Goals Conceded per Match

Wrong. The correct is:

Solskjaer: 100% win
Klopp: 100% win
Guardiola: 100% win
Pochettino: 0% win
Farke: 0% win
Emery: 0% win
Hodgson: 0% win

Nice to see Solskjaer up with the best. Not even Pochettino, the allmighty conqueror of World and RedCafe have that stats. Oh, I forgot telling it's only from this Premier League weekend.

I don't know what you are after with your stats. To prove Solskjaer is worse than some others? Instead, give the man some credit when he deserves. It is not right criticizing him when we drop points and then not giving him any credit when we win.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
None of these are of interest.
Good for you.

They all took over squads in a similar position to us. To say they are no interest at all is ignorant.

For one,

Dalglish took over Liverpool in the January when they hovering around the bottom half after Hodgson's disastrous reign (his stats are there to see), he managed to stabilise them, finishing 6th. The following season he won the league cup and narrowly lost the FA cup final to Chelsea.

His reign isn't comparable to us with Solskjaer?

Last edited:

ReddBalls

I was thinking this the other day but, somewhat pessimistically, I doubt it has anything to do with Ole's control but rather Pogba finding that years of yo-yo form, a high salary, a high transfer fee and FFP are likely meaning it's quite hard for clubs to sign him. Given our trajectory, it's a matter of when not if he will be sold however.
That might obviously also be an explanation, but there are no leaks or social media stunts from the likes of Jlingz either. It's interesting that there haven't been any noise in the media from "behind the scenes" in the barren period after the Chelsea game.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Wrong. The correct is:

Nice to see Solskjaer up with the best. Not even Pochettino, the allmighty conqueror of World and RedCafe have that stats. Oh, I forgot telling it's only from this Premier League weekend.

I don't know what you are after with your stats. To prove Solskjaer is worse than some others? Instead, give the man some credit when he deserves. It is not right criticizing him when we drop points and then not giving him any credit when we win.
What are you on about? Am i speaking to a child?

I am comparing him against managers who took over in a similar situation to us. Some managers who had little experience too.

If you don't like the results, that's your problem.

Gasolin

No but he is back wearing the United shirt in his pictures. I think there are some discussions behind the doors. It has to.

lysglimt

Scout

I am comparing him against managers who took over in a similar situation to us. Some managers who had little experience too.

Ironically - there are tons of United-fans wanting OGS sacked and replaced by Pochettino - whose win-percentage during his time at Spurs is the same as OGS

90 + 5min

Don't worry. I'm nowhere near being a child or even a young person.

Clearly you have agenda with your posting in this thread. Anti Solskjaer agenda. Clear as water. Without any reflection on why things are like they are.

el3mel

Wrong. The correct is:

Comparing Ole to Poch because he's having a poor season is ridiculous. One manager managed to finish second in PL and reached CL final with Tottenham fecking Hotspur while keeping them regular top 4 team, to a manager who get relegated with Cardiff and couldn't manage a PL job since then till we appointed him. Logic goes out of the window in this kind of comparison.

Poch has problems himself but putting him and Ole in same sentence is pure delusion.

Mainoldo

Of course... we're still a business, i reckon he was told trim down the wages if you don't need these players. I really just hope the transfer have a bit more variation. All honest i know he's going to fail... but i have to still hope he's learning for the better all the time. No fan wants us to suffer. If he makes it to the January.. we need to be looking at the Emre Can's and Wermer's of this world.

Leftback99

Good for you.

They all took over squads in a similar position to us. To say they are no interest at all is ignorant.

For one,

Dalglish took over Liverpool in the January when they hovering around the bottom half after Hodgson's disastrous reign (his stats are there to see), he managed to stabilise them, finishing 6th. The following season he won the league cup and narrowly lost the FA cup final to Chelsea.

His reign isn't comparable to us with Solskjaer?
Different times, different teams, what is the point in comparing them?

Since Solskjaer came in we have won the 4th most points in the league. I'd suggest that is more relevant than any comparison to Roy Hodgson's win % nearly a decade ago.

I don't really care what results Solskjaer has got up to this point, i'll judge him when he's got a team i think he should be doing better with. So far i think he appears to have the right ideas how to build a good squad again to get us back on track to challenge in the future, instead of the mess he started with.

patty123

Who are the ones with "little experience" as Woy is around the game as most likely you are on this earth, di matteo well he was boss at MK Dons for 52 matches, a further 83 at West Brom, Brendan ? who when he joined liverpool was about to take up his fourth managers job and the other 2 were league and CL winners as manager, so where are you getting little experience from ?

So point being you cannot compare Ole's games at a team that were already way pass free fall when he took over, fans up in arms due to their owner with those as they have far more experience in this country than he had in terms of a being a manager

Comparing Ole to Poch because he's having a poor season is ridiculous. One manager managed to finish second in PL and reached CL final with Tottenham fecking Hotspur while keeping them regular top 4 team, to a manager who get relegated with Cardiff and couldn't manage a PL job since then till we appointed him. Logic goes out of the window in this kind of comparison.
So poch getting fired from Espanyol who were bottom of the league then and then went to the mighty Saints who he is also left after a year only, so what gets him extra points ?

I really hate the way our fans are so quick to compare Ole with poch (see above) and klopp who also got a team relegated and forget to mention how crap they both were at the start as well, one rule eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.