Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

No I expect the manager of Manchester United to conduct themselves in a professional manner and to have a set of standards.

That means I don't expect to see the manager of Man United smile after losing and drawing games against bottom feeder clubs that we should be winning.

When I see a manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world, smiling and content with themselves after doing the bare minimum, they are sending the wrong message to both the players and the fans.

It's getting the players and fans accustomed to mediocrity, more or less telling them it's no big deal if we lose or draw, because according to Ole ''any game in the Premier League is winnable but also losable.'' ''It’s margins, fine margins and it was never going to be easy.''

Those are his words this season.

Contrast that to his big tough chest beating talk last season when he was riding the wave

''When you come into a club like this you expect to win games," said Solskjaer.

"And when you win four, you expect to win the next one as well. I don't look at them and think we can't win that. I think we can win every single game''

That was at a time when everyone believed the squad was good enough to make top 4 and make strides in closing the gap between City and Liverpool. The story was that without the big bad step daddy Mourinho holding the players back, Ole was seen as the man to unshackle the players from their chains and unleash free flowing united way of old football.

He just needed a pre season to get the players up to speed and many appealed against were judging until this season. Now along with his statements all that has changed and we're meant to put up with his ineptitude until he gets several more transfer windows and several more seasons to do what I don't know!
Brilliant post.

The goal posts are being moved and a cult has formed.

Son

You seriously think Pogba has been a success and didn't only join United for a massive pay rise?
Like others have said he ‘had’ unfinished business. Doesn’t have any unfinished business anymore the way our club is ran.

Another unpopular opinion: Mourinho leaving shows just how good of a job he did here...

This season we are completely irrelevant. Opposition fans don’t even hate us anymore because they don’t care.

Today’s game we lost again - youth team or not I understood the reasoning for it and they are kids etc. We are Man United we give youth a chance etc etc. If we lose to Villa heads should start rolling imo.

Patience has run out now. Us playing the little underdog card is seriously getting boring because we aren’t underdogs in any way shape or form in the Prem league or any other.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How do you know that he is content? He could be hurting like heck inside.

He could be putting on a brave face after giving the players a right grilling. We don't know.

I think it is better for him to come out with a smile on his face, than come out and start throwing players under the bus.
I don't need to know. All I need to know is that does that team improves after abject displays? if not, then probably he's content, or probably he's not content but didn't manage to change things.

Either way, you can smile, sulk, etc. As long as crack your whip and get your boys running (or lure them with smiles) or give them a hairdryer, I don't care.

Many blamed Jose for throwing players under the bus, now we have Ole that's always smiling and being nice to them, any improvement?

Ancient Of Days

Ao your problem is not Ole smirking after dropping points, your problem is Ole who haven’t achieved anything in Managerial career doing that. At least tell that straight instead of going all ‘body Language expert’.

No you didn’t explain any difference, all you did is moved the goal posts and make up things with every post. Also no I didn’t have problem with Moyes Smirking/Smiling. I had problem with how out of depth he looked at ManUtd.
You can say that is he has not any good will to be smiling after draws/defeats.

If it's a one off thing with the odd loss or draw while we are in a healthy run of form, you can overlook such a thing regardless of previous managerial achievement, it can be overlooked. But when we were in relegation form and failing to get shots on target and he's there on the touchline and in pressers looking self satisfied and patronizing the fans by telling us that ''it isn't the 90's anymore and that it was never going to be easy'' (as if expecting a united team to register a shot on a target was asking for pie in the sky miracles) then it is a spit in the face of us fans and the club, which many claims he gets.

His conduct, along with his canny ability to worm his way out of taking full responsibility for results has been an utter disgrace.

Just as no one likes it when the players after a loss go on social media and do dances or post stupid messages that is out of sync with the mood of the club, or smiling and swapping shirts with oppositions after defeats, there are those of us who don't like it when the manager doesn't portray the right image after a loss.

Btw the way look at the YT responses to Moyes interview, he was grilled for smiling while he had his defenders who were implying he'd turn out great if given more time like SAF.

Doesn't this sound familiar?

''People need to give him some time. Ferguson didn't win a thing during his first few seasons and yet he ended up becoming the greatest manager that has ever lived, because he was given time at the beginning. It should be the same for Moyes. I do understand that Moyes has inherited a far better squad than Ferguson did, but still, give him some time and he will get United back being the best team in the league. Lets not forget that they are doing well in Europe, notably hammering Leverkusen on their own ground just a week or so ago, a team who are second in the Bundesliga (just 4 points behind Munich) and who are better than most teams in the league. So they have shown glimpses of what they can do, but they just need to start showing it on a more regular basis. Which they will do, with time. Also with a few signings in January, they will be more than good enough to challenge for the title come the end of the season ''

jackal&hyde

Manager won't be sending messages to players in press conference, him giving interviews with sad face or tears won't change a thing.
It would be highly detrimental actually. Not all managers are interested in themselves and only in themselves like Mourinho to crap on the club and the players to save face.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You can say that is he has not any good will to be smiling after draws/defeats.
Ok, hones I didn't ready beyond this and this just sums up everything. All over the place and like I said, you just move goal posts with every post.

Just say you don't like Ole because results are bad so you are just nitpicking everything. That would be easier and makes sense when reading the posts.

roonster09

Scout
It would be highly detrimental actually. Not all managers are interested in themselves and only in themselves like Mourinho to crap on the club and the players to save face.
Some of the posters are just clueless but try to act as some body language experts. fecking hell, people have problem if managers is not in tears after dropping points.

jackal&hyde

Some of the posters are just clueless but try to act as some body language experts. fecking hell, people have problem if managers is not in tears after dropping points.
We had a manager in the past that would almost always deflect blame from the players and always try to paint a positive image on the squad while blaming everything else in return, from the opposition, the ref, the mongol invasion and everything in between. Ole is part of that thinking imo. Today though, it seems some people only expect Mourinho style comments of thrashing the team in public to give some fans some sort of feel good factor.

roonster09

Scout
We had a manager in the past that would almost always deflect blame from the players and always try to paint a positive image on the squad while blaming everything else in return, from the opposition, the ref, the mongol invasion and everything in between. Ole is part of that thinking imo. Today though, it seems some people only expect Mourinho style comments of thrashing the team in public to give some fans some sort of feel good factor.
Yeah and I don't understand why people think it's very important to analyze body language in PC. Maybe they should watch Pep's post match press conference when they lost and he wished happy new year.

Ancient Of Days

Lets not fall into absolutes and extremes

All he had to do was just show a little bit of decorum and professionalism.

If an employee or manager fecks up and make a big mistake at work which ends up costing the company in some way, then that same indiviual walks into the office the very next day smiling and looking smug, do you honestly think their superiors will not take notice? Or do you think they well say themselves, ''well let him be, because we can't expect him to be in tears''

I

roonster09

Scout

If an employee or manager fecks up and make a big mistake at work which ends up costing the company in some way, then that same indiviual walks into the office the very next day smiling and looking smug, do you honestly think their superiors will not take notice? Or do you think they well say themselves, ''well let him be, because we can't expect him to be in tears''

I
You can criticize him for results, playing style but I don't know how anyone can question his professionalism. Again, showing frustration on his face is professionalism? It's just nonsense.

If a managers manages to feck up and then smiles around other employees in important meeting then it's a problem, not when he had to talk to media where he is trained to give generic answers. Like I said, you think way too much and give lot of importance to PC.

Again, smiling or showing frustration has nothing to do with professionalism.

I agree with your point that "lets not fall into absolutes and extremes" so cut this PC thing and at least complain about the things that really matter, not whether he smiled or scratched his balls.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If an employee or manager fecks up and make a big mistake at work which ends up costing the company in some way, then that same indiviual walks into the office the very next day smiling and looking smug, do you honestly think their superiors will not take notice?
As a general remark, what you posted is obviously true - but what's the relevance for Ole, Woodward and United's current situation? Do you think Ole is walking about the training pitch, after a loss, grinning smugly at everyone he sees - and that Woodward will take note of this...and what? Sack him for undue smugness on the job?

I fail to see what point you're trying to make here. You don't know what he's like when he interacts with the players, this whole idea seems to be based on the way he comes across when in front of a camera. Which is - what - mildly interesting as a possible indication of his personality, but on the whole pretty much irrelevant in terms of assessing his managerial qualities.

jackal&hyde

I
Is that how Ole walks in to the Glazers offices in a one on one conversation? How do you know that?

There is no comparison between your example and a manager giving a public interview in front of not just the players but the World as a whole. Interviews are mostly PR, not a place to make team analisys in public for the fans thirst of blood.

Eric's Seagull

I don't need to know. All I need to know is that does that team improves after abject displays? if not, then probably he's content, or probably he's not content but didn't manage to change things.

Either way, you can smile, sulk, etc. As long as crack your whip and get your boys running (or lure them with smiles) or give them a hairdryer, I don't care.

Many blamed Jose for throwing players under the bus, now we have Ole that's always smiling and being nice to them, any improvement?
I don't think that he is content but some people can still be smiling but raging inside. I agree with the point in bold. He might be giving the the full hairdryer treatment we never know.

I don't agree with Jose throwing people under the bus as I believe if the manager has a problem with the players that it should stay in-house and not broadcast in the media as it shows our rivals that there is problems at the club which is something that we don't need. I believe that once we get our full team back and hopefully add some players in January to this squad that results will improve.

Nickelodeon

The thing that irks me the most is that the fantastic run of results we had under Ole right up till the PSG game, we utilized our squad completely.

Martial, Rashford and Lingard starting with Sanchez and Lukaku coming off the bench. With Lukaku and Sanchez starting certain games (Arsenal away in the FA cup) and doing well while always having dangerous options from the bench. "Football is easy when you have good players" is what Ole said.

To dismantle the squad completely without replacements was a shocking shocking decision. I can't believe it was done without so much as a throwaway comment. And that is what is going to cost Ole his job and the team would have another write off of a season.

jackal&hyde

I remember the times of "no value in the market" and how frustrated i felt that SAF did not publicly criticize the Glazers for the lack of funds. In hindsight, he did the perfect thing: had he complaint about the lack of money, the existing players would have felt like crap and by by nr. 20. Whatever good you can get out of mediocre players goes away when you publically oust them so it's just bad practice to do it, unless you are on the way out and are looking to save face.

A managers true thoughts regarding players is seen during the transfer window. Sometimes you can also read between the lines of some of the selection decisions (Lingard playing with the under 23s; but still great man management by making him captain and so giving him confidence and a feeling of importance). Essentially Lingard has dropped a lot in his estimation and Shaw is second to Williams now.

I don't know how good or bad Ole is going to be in terms of wining trophies, but his man management is very good IMO. Very SAF like in methods.

Un4givableB

Yeah, Ole's got a ready made excuse for poor results every time he fields a team of kids who aren't ready.
I made this point just after the match, of course, l was abused by the Ole deadenders.

Results will find him out in the end, there are just too many good teams and managers in this league for him to bluff his way into a champions league place.

jackal&hyde

I made this point just after the match, of course, l was abused by the Ole deadenders.

Results will find him out in the end, there are just too many good teams and managers in this league for him to bluff his way into a champions league place.
Fairly certain that was sarcasm :lol:

zenith

I see a good solid first choice defence, an exciting forward line, major strides by Fred and Mctominay in midfield, an intent to play attacking football, ample opportunity for youngsters and a squad that is playing for the manager and a manager who is not throwing players under the bus.

For me, all those factors have bought him some credit, at least till February or so. Let's at least see him have a proper go at it with pogba and Mctominay back.

Eric's Seagull

Another loss on his record, regardless of who he was playing he should have at least fielded a team to take home the result. Now we've got one of our worst ever European defeats on our record and nobody will remember the team fielded in years to come.

You've got to ask if Phil Jones was good enough to start Sunday with limited game time why wasn't his experience utilised here.

Also Romero and Ashley Young could have travelled given their lack of involvement. If you'd have had at least four or five first-team players you'd have saved embarrassment.
Phil Jones is a liability. Given conditions out there, there is a good chance he could have got injured then there is the likelihood that some people would moan, why did he play Phil Jones when we have an important game on Sunday and such a busy schedule coming up.

I like the way Phil Jones puts his heart into it but sometimes there is a chance he is going to clatter the opposition player and his own player, which could result in us getting at least one injury or Phil Jones getting sent off.

I don't think the defeat matters as much as some think as we have qualified from the group anyway as we have given the youngsters experience of playing in a harsh environment and only need a draw at home against AZ Alkmaar to top the group.

If Chong had put his chance away I think we would have won the game but I'm not going to sl@g him off for it as even Ronaldo has missed sitters.

M16Red

Yeah, I'm sure they'd have been better off staying at home and instead we should have played the likes of Martial and Rashford. Can't believe I'm even arguing this point tbh but nothing surprises me on the Caf anymore.
Don't bother mate, I just ignore them until I see something with more thought in the post.

Jericholyte2

Phil Jones is a liability. Given conditions out there, there is a good chance he could have got injured then there is the likelihood that some people would moan, why did he play Phil Jones when we have an important game on Sunday and such a busy schedule coming up.

I like the way Phil Jones puts his heart into it but sometimes there is a chance he is going to clatter the opposition player and his own player, which could result in us getting at least one injury or Phil Jones getting sent off.

I don't think the defeat matters as much as some think as we have qualified from the group anyway as we have given the youngsters experience of playing in a harsh environment and only need a draw at home against AZ Alkmaar to top the group.

If Chong had put his chance away I think we would have won the game but I'm not going to sl@g him off for it as even Ronaldo has missed sitters.

Twice in the same match even!

M16Red

IQ of 125 taken at the start of 2019. What about yours?
Anyone with a high IQ would know that the "taken at the start of 2019" isn't needed as IQ levels stay the same, unless you're going senile or really old.

Alabaster Codify7

He thinks Lingard was top class against Astana. No wonder we're in our current position
Yep. We're in big trouble. There's such a thing as praising someone without going over the top and basically lying through your teeth. If he honestly believes this it's a good indicator of where we're heading.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Precedents set. Clubs around us doing it for the better of their club. We dally at everything.

In saying this, any manager would struggle here with Woodie clearly not respected or charismatic enough to do football deals - plus a board who are so distant from the footballing side. We have zero plans as a club, it's scary.

El Zoido

He needs a good assistant alongside him. Carlos Queiroz revolutionised the football under Fergie, and brought new ideas to the table. If Ole had someone alongside him to bring a different perspective & dimension to our tactics it would make a world of difference. Mourinho had Rui Faria, Klopp had Buvac, both absolutely crucial to the style and success of those managers.

TrueRed79

But we are showing patience and Ole will turn things around.... Once you accept mediocrity and lower standards, you eventually become apathetic. Wasn't working with Emery and everyone could see it. You can draw the same comparisons with Ole and Emery, just that a lot of posters around here simply refuse to see it for some odd reason.

Alabaster Codify7

The media now will be full of speculation regarding Poch, Allegri and other managers with snide comments about how our rivals are getting shit done to right the ship whereas we are sticking with poor performance and poor results.......sort of negative publicity that a money man / spin doctor like Ed will not like. Shareholders and sponsors despise being associated with such negative publicity. The pressure is on Ole now, make no bones about it. Behind the scenes, certain conversations are going to be quietly happening just in case things don't improve very quickly.

Rockets Redglare

He needs a good assistant alongside him. Carlos Queiroz revolutionised the football under Fergie, and brought new ideas to the table. If Ole had someone alongside him to bring a different perspective & dimension to our tactics it would make a world of difference. Mourinho had Rui Faria, Klopp had Buvac, both absolutely crucial to the style and success of those managers.
Yeah because Fergie had done feck all before Queiroz.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Solskjær on Pogba
"He’ll be like a new signing for us. He’s not really been able to play for us and, when we get him back, it’ll be like a new world-class signing and world-class midfielder..."

:( No January signings then.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We have settled for a manager Cardiff didn't deem good enough for them. Cardiff!!!! Take the ex player factor out of this and he'd not have even got a phone call back from Woodward for the job let alone an interview or offer.

Son

Everyone praising Ole for our signings probably has to stop. I’m pretty sure Mourinho would have signed the exact 3 players since he tried to sign Maguire the summer before and Woodward told him no.

He also tried to sign Cancelo that summer before Wan Bissaka was even on our radar so I’m pretty sure Mou has a good eye for talent compared to our cur
The thing that irks me the most is that the fantastic run of results we had under Ole right up till the PSG game, we utilized our squad completely.

Martial, Rashford and Lingard starting with Sanchez and Lukaku coming off the bench. With Lukaku and Sanchez starting certain games (Arsenal away in the FA cup) and doing well while always having dangerous options from the bench. "Football is easy when you have good players" is what Ole said.

To dismantle the squad completely without replacements was a shocking shocking decision. I can't believe it was done without so much as a throwaway comment. And that is what is going to cost Ole his job and the team would have another write off of a season.
This. Lukaku scored some crucial goals for us and helped us beat PSG then was unceremoniously thrown out the first team. Maybe he wasn’t right for our team but hardly shows our club in the correct light to established players we may want to sign.

I wonder if Ole’s vision back then was standing 9th in the league saying give it time. I’m still waiting for this so called great style of play too.

Alabaster Codify7

Solskjær on Pogba
"He’ll be like a new signing for us. He’s not really been able to play for us and, when we get him back, it’ll be like a new world-class signing and world-class midfielder..."

:( No January signings then.

Of course not, anyone with critical thinking abilities knew that was the case. Fans are just so desperate to believe that something better is on the horizon, some kind of improvement, that they believe anything the club leaks to them. We aren't signing anyone, this thin, weak squad is going to continue bleeding out to the finish line with or without Ole at the helm.

El Zoido

Yeah because Fergie had done feck all before Queiroz.
The game changed, where Brian Kidd & Steve McClaren was a large part of our earlier success, Carlos Queiroz was a large part of our later success. Managing a football team is a collaborative effort. Fergie is the greatest man manager of all time but he had his right hand men to support in other aspects. He does not deny them their due credit and neither should you.

Rockets Redglare

The game changed, where Brian Kidd & Steve McClaren was a large part of our earlier success, Carlos Queiroz was a large part of our later success. Managing a football team is a collaborative effort. Fergie is the greatest man manager of all time but he had his right hand men to support in other aspects. He does not deny them their due credit and neither should you.
I have always respected the assistant managers at United, but if you honestly think getting a better assistant in is going to change anything then you’re deluded.

KekiZeki

We have settled for a manager Cardiff didn't deem good enough for them. Cardiff!!!! Take the ex player factor out of this and he'd not have even got a phone call back from Woodward for the job let alone an interview or offer.
We got him because we needed someone from the club, of course we wouldn't ring any old player for the job ffs. We need someone from the club and he is it, some support would be nice, but most have just been waiting for to jump on his back as soon as he didn't make us in to tittle winners in one transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.