Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The White Pele

I sort of agree with you but, if the players we have can get a draw against Liverpool and beat a revitalised Tottenham, I question his ability to motivate the players when we can’t perform in the games against the lesser teams.

The way we played from the start tonight is the way we should play all the time. Normally we only show that level of urgency when we go behind.
I don’t think it’s a case of motivation, more a lack of quality to break teams down.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He still hasnt proved anything. He is probably the worst manager in the PL, ever. Thanks to people like you the climb back up top will be much harder. Every day we give Fleksnes is another day we dig ourselves even deeper.
Its a sad state when people put their idols above the club :(
Hope you never get promoted tbh. Useless.

SteveW

He's done it against Klopp, Lampard(x2), Rodgers and now Mourinho this season.

Yet I'm sure we'll keep hearing how he can't do tactics.

Oldyella

I sort of agree with you but, if the players we have can get a draw against Liverpool and beat a revitalised Tottenham, I question his ability to motivate the players when we can’t perform in the games against the lesser teams.

The way we played from the start tonight is the way we should play all the time. Normally we only show that level of urgency when we go behind.
It's more to do with how he is getting us to play I think. He obviously wants us playing quick football on the break, which is great in the bigger games but doesnt work as well the rest of the time. If we can improve on that things might work out for him. I hope they do, but am not convinced they will long term. We shall see.

Judas

Open to offers
Today is a very positive day, and it’d be daft to be negative about it...but it’d also be super fecking silly to go too overboard and pretend it makes up for everything that’s come before.... if the last 10 months of disappointing stagnation can be easily dismissed as the irrelevant and inevitable consequence of progress... then we can’t very well turn around and lord it up at our 5th win of the season, as if it means anything more than a single good performance on the day, at home, against a team who’ve been largely as shit as us this season....

It’s great to be optimistic, and we should all enjoy it, but let’s not get carried away... let’s wait until we’ve strung more than 4 wins together before we decide it means anything.

Or at least before we start valedictorily lording it over posters who are just inevitably going to quote post you back in a couple of weeks!
Spot on. It's madness the way people react on here game by game, and the fact some seem to get more out of laughing at people and being "right" on an internet football forum than whats actually happening on the pitch.

Acquire Me

We are one of the youngest and most inconsistent teams in the league. And quite a lot of fans have failed to accepted this.

So yes this cycle will continue.
It’s baffling. We went from a short term strategy to a long term strategy with playing young players, buying the right players, preferably young, and selling players not fit for the new style.

We have also changed our playing style. Not done over night.

A young and a bit light squad will be inconsistent. That said, they are showing game for game that they are on the right path.

starman

Unbeaten against the top 6 so far, would be really impressive if we get something at City.
On the flipside the previous 2 game brain farts are still pretty annoying

TrueRed79

I am not one for ever wanting us to lose any game in any competition. Deserved win but context is needed. It's Spurs and players would be motivated to beat Jose no matter what anyone says. We only seem to somewhat turn up for "bigger" games, a la Liverpool when we were laughing at them. That's a real worry but i'll enjoy MOTD for once.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Today is a very positive day, and it’d be daft to be negative about it...but it’d also be super fecking silly to go too overboard and pretend it makes up for everything that’s come before.... if the last 10 months of disappointing stagnation can be easily dismissed as the irrelevant and inevitable consequence of progress... then we can’t very well turn around and lord it up at our 5th win of the season, as if it means anything more than a single good performance on the day, at home, against a team who’ve been largely as shit as us this season....

It’s great to be optimistic, and we should all enjoy it, but let’s not get carried away... let’s wait until we’ve strung more than 4 wins together before we decide it means anything.

Or at least before we start valedictorily lording it over posters who are just inevitably going to quote post you back in a couple of weeks!
It's an understandable reaction to the relentless negativity that has swamped this forum for too long now.

Nobody is (or should be) getting carried away but it's a good day to be a United fan, and some fuel to the belief that some of us have that there is a foundation to a potentially very good team here, and we should let this play out.

Nothing more than that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Unbeaten against the top 6 so far, would be really impressive if we get something at City.
Growing pains hopefully. As long as we are learning from our mistakes we'll keep improving

R'hllor

Lets pretend that some players didnt play in piss poor performance games in the past.

R'hllor

How many of those games were at home?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Fantastic against the big teams as usual. Get him a top centre forward to deal with the lesser teams and it’s Fergie 2.0.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
After all the shit i have read on here today. Some of you should take a good hard look at yourself!

It will be hit and it will be miss. They are young, and the squad lack some serious depth. But you can see what they are building and what lives in this team. Today the midfield worked. That is what is missing in this team. That is where the missing balance has been, and when that works, the energy like today os amazing to watch.

Giggsyking

Fair play to him tonight. I didn't think he was capable of setting us up properly at home before tonight, expecting the worst.

I want him out but if he has us playing like tonight the majority of matches, i will definitely be willing to give him more time.
He won't. We have seen it for a year. The same story, a win or a draw against a big team, then shit in front of the other 14 teams in the league.
It is one of those two reasons or both,
1- Even he has no clue how to break up low block teams because he is tactically inefficient.
2- He has no clue how to motivate the team to play against mid/lower table teams, while it is not needed against big teams when the players are already motivated.

R'hllor

I can see where you are going, but you can only play the schedule infront of you. He had a good record last season against the top 6 away from home, did he not?
I am not going anywhere, saw you hyping record vs top 6, so asked a simple question, how many of those were at home?

RedTiger

Half mast
This is on the players, not Ole.
It's no coincidence we pitch up for the big games and go limp playing the other teams.
It's consistency from our big players is what we need.
I liked Fred's performance today, but I don't trust him to do it on a consistent basis. Maybe Scott makes him play better, I don't know? It's just wierd that they are so up and down!
If it's on the players when we win, then it's on the players when we lose. Simples.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Exactly. Its hilarious how people say that he's tactically inept. If you're winning/getting favourable results against the best sides (and that too while playing good football) that means that the issue is not with the manager but lack of quality in certain areas.

Add to that we've missed 4/7 pens (which have cost us 4 points), we've conceded some wonder goals and have had terrible luck in front of goal all which has painted a picture that is much grimmer than what is actually the case.

Sweet Square

It’s baffling. We went from a short term strategy to a long term strategy with playing young players, buying the right players, preferably young, and selling players not fit for the new style.

We have also changed our playing style. Not done over night.

A young and a bit light squad will be inconsistent. That said, they are showing game for game that they are on the right path.
Yeap the club chose to put faith in young players like Rashford and Martial, it was always going to be a rocky ride.
The only issue is that for 90% of the time the football is rather boring, so that causes frustration whenever we don't get the results. If we were playing great football then I'm not sure there would be the constant raging from supporters. I worry a lot that Ole has been now been in charge for 50 games and most of the time we don't have a plan and that if it becomes clear that Ole is really falling, going for someone else next should be an option.

But......

People have to remember the Ajax team everyone loved last season, was a long term project(They went 4 years without winning the league)and had plenty of ups and downs but in the end it paid off. Ole has clearly done quite a lot in the background(Fixing the transfers, getting rid of the dead wood and promoting youth players), now it might still completely fail for us but there is only one way to know and thats to give the project the slightest chance to succeed.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Still closer to relegation than to 4th place. Good win today but questionable decisions have still cost him points in games we should have won.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Thing is, good games against top opposition is not out of the normal for Ole. Since he has taken over as manager, his record against the top six is probably up there. It doesn't paper over dropping points against shit opposition, but he deserves more credit than the current results provide.

redshaw

Did well to get Greenwood in and allow Rashford to rip it up from the left. We need to attack from the natural places and not consolidate if Martial is injured. Ole was also off the bench more. We don't need Capello style animation but the players need the instructions and urgency from the touchline. He has to fight for his job and keep the players on it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This is on the players, not Ole.
It's no coincidence we pitch up for the big games and go limp playing the other teams.
It's consistency from our big players is what we need.
I liked Fred's performance today, but I don't trust him to do it on a consistent basis. Maybe Scott makes him play better, I don't know? It's just wierd that they are so up and down!
If it's on the players when we win, then it's on the players when we lose. Simples.
I think you misunderstood him judging by the bolded part. He wants consistency from the big players against 'lesser' teams too.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeap the club chose to put faith in young players like Rashford and Martial, it was always going to be a rocky ride.
Yes but it will pay off - in the long run. OGS is doing the right thing for the club - even if it could get him sacked. Rashford, Fred, McTominay, Williams, Greenwood, Garner, James have all taken huge steps. And they will all get better next season - regardless of who is in charge.

Castia

Great in the big games, his record is pretty impressive.

we need to learn how to smash these smaller teams and Ole could be on to something.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This place....we won after one month without win, in last 10 days we were dominated by two last year's championship teams but it is total hysteria because we won a home game against Spurs. We deserve to have Ole. No question about that

mancave bear

He have beaten Spurs three times this year, despite we have a inferior squad. But thats just luck i guess. Lets get Poch haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.