Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

No he isn't. Safe to say there hasn't been much of a short term improvement but he's not made it any worse either. The club has been in a downwards spiral for years. At least he's got rid of most of the deadwood. Makes it easier for someone coming in to shape the squad to their liking.
The only players he’s got rid off is Darmian, Valencia (who retired) and Sanchez who’s on loan and will be coming back.

The rest of the players he sold were hardly deadwood and will be getting plenty of minutes this season.

And he also renewed Jones and Matas contracts, so if anything he made sure those two stay with us for a few years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We got half-decent to decent cover for GK, LB, RW and at a stretch CD. One injury or a player needing a rest, we'll struggle to put up a team. IMO we maybe got 8-9 players who should be in a MUFC starting XI. And that's still a pretty young and inexperienced team. We've seen this team play from really poor to really good, as expected befor the season started. This team needs a bit more time, a few better players and some of the youth to show they're good enough. OGS seem to be moving us in the right direction.
We have seen our team play shite more than it's played well. And for all your points about lack of cover, true as they may be, the XI fielded against my named teams were still better on paper than their opposition. And we ended up getting played off the park or humiliated. That's not moving in the right direction.

dove

:lol:
:lol::lol: Imagine still thinking that Ole is the right man for the job even though he spouts absolute nonsense like this every week, this is worse than Moyes. In space of 6 months he went from "Players are unfit but I will change that in pre season" to "we lose only once a month" :lol: And there are crazy amount of sheep who believe it. One of the worst managers the PL has ever seen, no doubts about that. Ole as a manager is the worst thing that has happened to United since SAF retired.

fergiesarmy1

:lol::lol: Imagine still thinking that Ole is the right man for the job even though he spouts absolute nonsense like this every week, this is worse than Moyes. In space of 6 months he went from "Players are unfit but I will change that in pre season" to "we lose only once a month" :lol: And there are crazy amount of sheep who believe it. One of the worst managers the PL has ever seen, no doubts about that. Ole as a manager is the worst thing that has happened to United since SAF retired.
That’s a tad dramatic isn’t it? Can easily still finish top 4 in extreme conditions and win a cup or 2 but yeah one of the worst managers ever seen :rolleyes:

dove

That’s a tad dramatic isn’t it? Can easily still finish top 4 in extreme conditions and win a cup or 2 but yeah one of the worst managers ever seen :rolleyes:
Yeah right, in which parallel universe? Not only we are not finishing in TOP 4 we must pray Spurs and Arsenal don't get their shit together as we won't make Europe if they do.

Kostov

His persistence with playing an absolute fraud of a player like Lingard for over a fecking year is a reason alone to be sacked. Absolutely mind blowing.

Suedesi

Spot on. Just being too nice will get him nowhere. It seems he hasn't learnt much from sir alex after all. Maybe just the "no value in the market"bs
Van Persie didn't play with Ole, and delivering the sort of news Ole's mates in the media never will.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
The system I expect is a playing pattern, one that you can see clearly specially in attack.

Liverpool, City, Wolves, Norwich, Leicester, Sheffield, Burnley all these teams have it some are better than others but you know what you’ll be seeing when you watch them. They train this attacking patterns so the movement and the way they attack is clear, like I said before we dont have this we mostly depend on individual brillance to get a gol that’s why we look so dull when in attack.

On the other hand comparing Ole to SAF is just insulting please dont do it, Im tired of debating here how the quality between the two of them is worlds appart.

Now on comparing Ole to the other managers, besides talking about it on every single conference as an excuse to justify poor results what is he exactly doing that the rebuild is so clear for you to see?

Is it the “getting rid of deadwood” thing? Cause the way I see it he got only Darmian and Sanchez (on loan) from the deadwood category, Lukaku, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling all would of them would be getting a fairly amount of minutes at the moment.

And to be fair Mourinho also sold some players that we could categorize in the deadwood list, Rooney who was past it, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin. LVG sold Kawaga, Bebe, Welbeck, Buttner.

The way I see it Ole is doing just what any other manager would do/has done sold players than he doesn't like but somehow here this been branded as “clear the deadwood” when is nothing new.

Maybe is it the way he buys/plays/promote youngsters?

Ole has put faith on AWB, James, McTominay (who was already playing with Mou but to be fair has taken a major role since Ole’s arrival) and a consolidated Rashford. Also giving time to Greenwood and less to Williams.

But again, this is nothing either LVG or Mourinho didnt do. LVG brought Luke Shaw, Martial, Depay amongst others and promoted Rashford. Mourinho way less from youngsters only bought Bailly and promoted McTominay.

But again I see nothing special to mark Ole as the great youngster promoter, he’s doing fairly around what other managers have done but again this somehow is looked as the great rebuilding he’s making.

Maybe is that he’s bringing back the DNA in ManUtd, whatever that means, by bringing only English players? First I don’t see the point in overpaying for a player only because he’s english and second I dont see whats different about the players he bought that we can categorize then as having ManUtd DNA. For all we’ve seen Maguire is a decent defender but no where near the world record fee we pay to get him, AWB is a good defensive right back but he was no unearthed stone, thats why we paid what we paid for him. James is a raw youngsters with qualities and flaws, for all we know he may end up as a bargain or as a flop only time will tell.

So again I ask, besides repeating in every interview as an excuse, exactly whats he’s doing thats so different to the other managers that this rebuild is so clear for you to see?
He'll need a set team to have a set system to play. We mostly play a version of 4-3-3. He's talked about high pressing, intensity, fast attacking/counter-attacking play, full backs involved, etc. I don't know when his "master plan" will come to fruition. This team needs time. The avg. age of our first XI is something like 23-24. He can barely field a full team where anyone on here would agree the team is up to MUFC standards. One injury and we struggle. Two or three, we have no chance. Add to that players need to rest during the season.

Who's comparing OGS to SAF?

Sure previous managers have got rid of deadwood, just to replace them with more deadwood. You wanted Ole to keep Fellaini, Smalling, Lukaku? I belive most wanted them gone. He should have replace them? Yes. But a player cost today is 50mill+. Is a lot of money. He don't seem to be buying just for the sake of buying. We don't know everything happening behind the scene.

He has put faith in youngsters this season. Maybe he should have done it more, maybe less. I don't know.

fergiesarmy1

Yeah right, in which parallel universe? Not only we are not finishing in TOP 4 we must pray Spurs and Arsenal don't get their shit together as we won't make Europe if they do.
That’s the spirit - 18 points in our last 10 games is better going than those 2 plus Chelsea.

e.cantona

We have seen our team play shite more than it's played well. And for all your points about lack of cover, true as they may be, the XI fielded against my named teams were still better on paper than their opposition. And we ended up getting played off the park or humiliated. That's not moving in the right direction.
Ok. I have no more points to add

Judas

Open to offers
We had as good a chance as any at top 4 if we'd kept everyone fit, brought some players in this month and got a lot of luck along the way. It's honestly not looking too likely as things stand right now, but who knows, football is daft.

Mainoldo

We had as good a chance as any at top 4 if we'd kept everyone fit, brought some players in this month and got a lot of luck along the way. It's honestly not looking too likely as things stand right now, but who knows, football is daft.
Even with all those things we would have come short because of his management. I’m really starting to think the end of season run last season was as much him as the players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Nothing has changed other than the next couple of months getting much harder due to injuries. I'm fully expecting more poor performances as a result.

We were poor last night but it seems many got carried away expecting an easy game against a team that should have beaten Chelsea in their previous match.

We're an inconsistent young team with glaring holes in it which won't be overcome by just changing the manager.

Paul_Scholes18

Even with all those things we would have come short because of his management. I’m really starting to think the end of season run last season was as much him as the players.
It was obviously Ole in terms of our attack being so impotent in the end. We just didn't know how to create chances as a team and the lack of good leadership showed in the end when he did nothing to stop the form from getting worse. Injuries was a problem, but our tactics was just similar to the ones we have now. Rashford and Lukaku bailed us out a few times before they lost form.
Him not dropping De Gea cost us lots of games too when we actually had a chance to win them. Maybe not against Barcelona even if that error was one of the worst.

AaronRedDevil

January is figuratively a trial by fire. So many big games and it'll be good if he comes out with a win most of the time. Hopefully. United will need to play like hell to come out positive.

SAFMUTD

He'll need a set team to have a set system to play. We mostly play a version of 4-3-3. He's talked about high pressing, intensity, fast attacking/counter-attacking play, full backs involved, etc. I don't know when his "master plan" will come to fruition. This team needs time. The avg. age of our first XI is something like 23-24. He can barely field a full team where anyone on here would agree the team is up to MUFC standards. One injury and we struggle. Two or three, we have no chance. Add to that players need to rest during the season.

Who's comparing OGS to SAF?

Sure previous managers have got rid of deadwood, just to replace them with more deadwood. You wanted Ole to keep Fellaini, Smalling, Lukaku? I belive most wanted them gone. He should have replace them? Yes. But a player cost today is 50mill+. Is a lot of money. He don't seem to be buying just for the sake of buying. We don't know everything happening behind the scene.

He has put faith in youngsters this season. Maybe he should have done it more, maybe less. I don't know.
I agree many wanted them replaced not gone, it was very naive to say the least to get rid of so many players without proper replacing, thats why as you say we are one injury away from failure, and thats on Ole.

Regarding getting rid of the deadwood to replace them with more deadwood its an unfair statement, they brought Shaw, Lindelof, Pogba, Martial so they didnt just brought failed players did they?

Also, careful with that statement because we may very well be having the same conversation about Ole’s signings as deadwood, specially Maguire given his price.

But still you didnt answer my question, and sorry I insist so much but I just dont get it, what do you see that the rebuild under Ole is so clear that he deserves times even with the poor results?

red4ever 79

Nothing has changed other than the next couple of months getting much harder due to injuries. I'm fully expecting more poor performances as a result.

We were poor last night but it seems many got carried away expecting an easy game against a team that should have beaten Chelsea in their previous match.

We're an inconsistent young team with glaring holes in it which won't be overcome by just changing the manager.
We still need to play Liverpool/Spurs/Chelsea and Leicester all away as well.

RUCK4444

Well based on your comments, we had Pogba for two full seasons, and how many league titles did we win? if one player was the reason why we win or lose games then the whole system is messed up! Stop defending Ole, he is a shit manager accept it
Ok so you obviously don’t understand English, where did I say this was solely due to missing Pogba.

What I’m pointing out, if you stop throwing your toys out of the pram for a moment, is that there was an accumulation of mess garnered over five years of poor management and recruitment.

So what your saying is that we can totally ignore the five years recruitment and the mess we were already in and also the subsequent injuries we’ve had?

In what world does the above not apply to this subject.

If you inherit a Ferrari and your brother inherits a Skoda then your gunna win in a race.

Same applies to what squad each manager inherits as their starting position.
We happened to be in the worst shape we have been in since being relegated, certainly the worst in recent memory.

If we do finish fourth with this team it would be more impressive than when Jose finished second IMO.

Foxbatt

Ok so you obviously don’t understand English, where did I say this was solely due to missing Pogba.

What I’m pointing out, if you stop throwing your toys out of the pram for a moment, is that there was an accumulation of mess garnered over five years of poor management and recruitment.

So what your saying is that we can totally ignore the five years recruitment and the mess we were already in and also the subsequent injuries we’ve had?

If you inherit a Ferrari and your brother inherits a Skoda then your gunna win in a race.

We happened to be in the worst shape we have been in since being relegated, certainly the worst in recent memory.

If we do finish fourth with this team it would be more impressive than when Jose finished second IMO.
No but if you have a better driver in the Skoda you get closer to the Ferrari. It depends on the driver of the car. Otherwise any fool can be a top driver. Just like any fool can be a top football manager.

dev1l

No but if you have a better driver in the Skoda you get closer to the Ferrari. It depends on the driver of the car. Otherwise any fool can be a top driver. Just like any fool can be a top football manager.
Mate, don't mention Skoda and Ferrari in the same sentence :)

e.cantona

I agree many wanted them replaced not gone, it was very naive to say the least to get rid of so many players without proper replacing, thats why as you say we are one injury away from failure, and thats on Ole.

Regarding getting rid of the deadwood to replace them with more deadwood its an unfair statement, they brought Shaw, Lindelof, Pogba, Martial so they didnt just brought failed players did they?

Also, careful with that statement because we may very well be having the same conversation about Ole’s signings as deadwood, specially Maguire given his price.

But still you didnt answer my question, and sorry I insist so much but I just dont get it, what do you see that the rebuild under Ole is so clear that he deserves times even with the poor results?
I can't say if it's on Ole or not. Is a lot of money these players he got rid of. I'm sure more people then him is behind decisions of that magnitude. Is a risk either way, keep or get rid. After the fact is always easier to say what should or should not have happened.

The amount spent, we pretty much only got Martial, Lindelof, Fred, Romero and Shaw left who we trust to play for us? Fair enough Pogba is still here. But anyone really belive he wants to stay, or gives his all anymore? That whole saga has gone on for far too long. SAF must've seen something in him not to trust him back then.

Maybe in a year or two we'll be talking of Ole's deadwood. Sure. But as of right now they are not.

I don't know how to answer your question then. Ole has had us play from very good to very bad. His team is young and inexperienced. He can hardly field a team anyone would agree on being good enough. He needs more time and his own signings. He looks like taking us in the right direction. All this drama about he said this and that and not the other thing. What's he supposed to say? If anything he's doing his best in shielding the players. About the same SAF did, never criticize your own players. Do whatever it takes to put the spotlight on something else. Himself if it's needed. May be he should to better. He could do a lot worse, that's for sure.

RUCK4444

We need to be realists about our situation.

Is Ole the best manager in the world? - No

Is he good enough for us long term? - I don’t believe we know yet.

I believe it takes more than one transfer window for ANY manager to turn this club around from where it was.

If you don’t believe my last sentence then I can’t help you and you won’t like any of these short term managerial appointments.

The most insulting thing aimed at the Ole-In group is that they get accused of being stupid or biased towards Ole.

Speaking for myself I just don’t understand why people were happy to give the previous managers much longer than Ole when he had by far the bigger mess to clean up. Surely you can see that - and that it would always take more than one window?

Velvet Revolver

yup clearly I dont!

I was merely responding to your comment that we are not playing well because Pogba was not in the team. Regardless of the mess with recruitment, what is the manager doing? do you see a tactical pattern to the play? do you know what we are trying to do in each game? what is it that we are doing with or without Pogba? Every team in this league has a pattern of play that we can see from the onset but I dont see anything with united, forget every game every move in a game is so laborious and predictable and that is not because of one or two players missing!

Stop with the inherited squad nonsense. How did Brendan Rogers do with his 'inherited squad' of players who were playing quite poorly? if you know you are going to get a squad of players then the manager needs to adapt to the strength's of his squad and that's what a good calibre manager does.

arthurka

Ole: Bla bla bla youth.
Bla bla bla rebuild.
Bla bla bla United standards and players.
Plays Lingard... Enough is enough.

Foxbatt

We sacked LVG after he won the FA Cup and 5th place. We sacked Jose after he won the EL, League Cup and the 2nd place. Yet people want to give Ole more time because he scored an injury time winner in the CL in 1999.
They say we do not know if he is good enough or not for the long term. Well what has done to show he is good enough for the long term? Why don't we hire Steve McLaren then? He managed England and was assistant to SAF and won the Dutch league with an unfancied side? Yes I know CAF will jump in revolt.
So you see how ridiculous it is to keep Ole.
Just in case he may win us the League or the PL some years down the line.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm actually amazed that we're somehow 5th. It doesn't feel like we've won enough to be that high.

Greck

I don't know why on earth he thought that would sound acceptable in the slightest. I do wonder a bit if he might not be the sharpest tool in the box. Very Moyes esque. Spoofing and blagging it.
Might very well be the case. There was a time they asked him about the slow pace of our play (passing) and he went on about how that was impossible because we have a lot of speedy players. The article said the room was stunned

We sacked LVG after he won the FA Cup and 5th place. We sacked Jose after he won the EL, League Cup and the 2nd place. Yet people want to give Ole more time because he scored an injury time winner in the CL in 1999.
Even during the lowest of the lows this season some fans want to keep Ole simply because he fits their idea of a United manager:

1. Wants to give youth a chance ✓
2. Sold unlikeable players ✓
3. Bought more likeable players ✓
4. Knows the club ✓
5. Talks a good game about what United are ✓

For me reading between the lines on here, without any shadow of a doubt the thing that has endeared him to these fans the most is number 2 on that list. Getting rid of Lukaku, Fellaini, Darmian, Sanchez & Smalling was something they were desperate for and Ole gave them that. It doesn't matter that Andreas or Lingard are shitter than Fellaini or that some of these players would have been more than useful this season, Ole got rid of "bad eggs" and that proves to them that his long term idea is the right one.

I personally don't think the time to fire Ole is now, said it enough already here but it was after Watford, else if we drop to 8th again before the end of Jan, otherwise he'll stay the season. I do however think that a football manager is by far and away the most important factor in a football club (as well as obviously a CEO that can pick a manager) and I just don't see how anyone can go from what Ole has done so far in his career to being capable of being one of the top 5 managers in the World which is what is required here.
Nothing about Ole's Tenure so far has shown me that he's got any chance whatsoever of joining that elite group.

Foxbatt

Even during the lowest of the lows this season some fans want to keep Ole simply because he fits their idea of a United manager:

1. Wants to give youth a chance ✓
2. Sold unlikeable players ✓
3. Bought more likeable players ✓
4. Knows the club ✓
5. Talks a good game about what United are ✓

For me reading between the lines on here, without any shadow of a doubt the thing that has endeared him to these fans the most is number 2 on that list. Getting rid of Lukaku, Fellaini, Darmian, Sanchez & Smalling was something they were desperate for and Ole gave them that. It doesn't matter that Andreas or Lingard are shitter than Fellaini or that some of these players would have been more than useful this season, Ole got rid of "bad eggs" and that proves to them that his long term idea is the right one.

I personally don't think the time to fire Ole is now, said it enough already here but it was after Watford, else if we drop to 8th again before the end of Jan, otherwise he'll stay the season. I do however think that a football manager is by far and away the most important factor in a football club (as well as obviously a CEO that can pick a manager) and I just don't see how anyone can go from what Ole has done so far in his career to being capable of being one of the top 5 managers in the World which is what is required here.
Nothing about Ole's Tenure so far has shown me that he's got any chance whatsoever of joining that elite group.
I have no issues in him getting rid of any player but the basics of good management not only in football but in anything is that you do not make it worse than it is. By getting rid of these players and not replacing them he has made it worse. Sanchez, yes as he is injured always. Darmian os not a bad right back. I have seen him play for Italy and he is good. Certainly much better playing for Italy than United but everyone needs a run to get their form back.
Fellaini alone would have won some matches for us this season and would have defended enough to win the other matches. Lukaku is a puzzle as he has been good for Inter while terrible for us.
I remember what happened when Giggs took over. He immediately dropped Fellaini and when LVG came as manager he was picked. Players like Fellaini and Smalling are useful players to have around. Yes they are not pleasing to the eye but these populist moves never work out.
I think he should be sacked before he does any further damage. Look at what Moyes did and still we have not recovered from that.

You have a passenger who flies regularly on first class on a B777 or an A380. He has a private pilots licence too and flies a single engine aircraft. Would you ask him to pilot a huge commercial airliner like an A380? This is what has happened with Ole. There will no be a happy outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.