Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah because fans wanting to see Ole show more fight and passion over our performances this season is the same as him getting rattled over what a former United player has said on TV. RvP's comments clearly got to him for whatever reason.
Tom Van Persie.

Dec9003

Right. Great response.
:lol:
No but in all seriousness behind closed doors Ole will obviously be a lot different than he is in front of the camera.
We won’t have better performances because he was a bit edgy with an interviewer on sky or whatever, that has to be done in the dressing room which is obviously away from our eyes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Such a stupid assertion, with feck all to back it up.
Well were so interested in Haaland that Ole even flew to Salzburg to talk to the guy. Yet, he preferred Dortmund's project to ours. But that's not all. Pogba seems on the way out, Smalling doesn't want to come back while Chong & Gomes are heading towards their last few months of contract. Things don't look well for Ole and his project.

devilish

RVP: "I want to see Ole more edgy"

Caf: "RVP is spot on"

*Ole gets more edgy*

Caf: "Pressure has got to Ole. He is RATTLED"
I think fans expect him to be edgy towards United's players not club legends who are stating the obvious.There again, no one is surprised that Ole got it wrong. As manager he rarely get things right.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fans want to see Ole more fired up over our shit and disgraceful performances. Not over what a pundit has said. How hard is that to grasp?
Yeah, the issue here is that he is edgy when it comes to defend himself not the team or in his reactions to our results. It's a self serving reaction which to be fair I would expect from most, so I'm not criticising him for it but we shouldn't turn it into some sort of selfless reaction.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol:
No but in all seriousness behind closed doors Ole will obviously be a lot different than he is in front of the camera.
We won’t have better performances because he was a bit edgy with an interviewer on sky or whatever, that has to be done in the dressing room which is obviously away from our eyes.
Yeah true, but it's important to keep the fans on side especially when results aren't going his way. I was/am a big Ole fan but that has been the main thing that has been turning me off him. Plus the fact that he isn't completely honest about things.

Fans don't see the dressing room Ole but they want to see him hurting as much as they are. I wish the reporter had said some fans aren't happy about it too. At least it's out there now so it's up to him what he does with it. I'm glad he was challenged.

Dec9003

Yeah true, but it's important to keep the fans on side especially when results aren't going his way. I was/am a big Ole fan but that has been the main thing that has been turning me off him. Plus the fact that he isn't completely honest about things.

Fans don't see the dressing room Ole but they want to see him hurting as much as they are. I wish the reporter had said some fans aren't happy about it too. At least it's out there now so it's up to him what he does with it. I'm glad he was challenged.
Honestly I don’t think he’s always all smiles after a loss anyway, after Arsenal he was but it’s not as bad as it’s made out to be.
I don’t see anything wrong with challenging him, but didn’t the reporter word his question as saying RVP was quite scathing toward him? Which is a bit unfair.
I don’t think his response showed he was rattled either really, I don’t think he’s the kind of person to let stuf like that really get to him.
It’s like Jose the other day saying that coach was an idiot, I don’t think we’ll ever see that from Ole, and I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

Daft Lad

What does it have to do with him being a manager previously or not? He didn't go into any deep tactical analysis of Ole's style of play. He just said he should be more angry with that performance rather than spreading smiles everywhere after a loss. He said it in a respectful manner as well. It's coming from a player that has played under 2 of the best ever managers in the history of the Premier League and saw them dealing with losses in and out of the dressing room so of course he knows what he's talking about in that regard, of course more than you and me.

Ole has been having a complete free ride from the media and pretty much from all our ex players in it. Someone like Scholes who has been slaughtering LvG and Mourinho non stop came on early in the season and said we need several transfer windows to be able to finish top 4! But now an ex player decides to go out of that routine and say a simple notice on Ole in a respectful and suddenly Ole blasts him in the presser with pretty weird quotes. So what if he was slaughtered non stop from everyone else in the media like the previous 2 managers, what would he have done then if he can't handle the slightest criticism?

Terrible quotes that I couldn't imagine while reading or listening to.
I agree. RVP talked in an honest manner. If Ole was frustrated and disappointed with the performance he hid it well. Of course you don't want him scalding and ranting and raving but equally you don't want him acting like he's just overseen winning the match. Come on people the bigger question is whether OGS has the steel and mentality to manage the team.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
My fear is that he will be. I hate the guy (literally) but i give him something; he can sell a story. His PR stuff is amazing. And he is doing it on daily basis how he is building for future, bumps on the road and shit like that. Fans believe in that and the most important thing, Ed is buying that.
So prepare yourself for summer transfers. 150 mil for Longstaff, Rice and some dude from Barnsley or something like that.
I want Solskjær out as much as anyone but to hate a guy is a bit much. Most are capable of being quite level headed and I'm glad there aren't many posters like this around.

Fosu-Mens

Yeah, the issue here is that he is edgy when it comes to defend himself not the team or in his reactions to our results. It's a self serving reaction which to be fair I would expect from most, so I'm not criticising him for it but we shouldn't turn it into some sort of selfless reaction.
He is just pissed that a former United player criticises one of their own. Usually, he can rely on the support from the self-serving group of people that is the players that played together under SAF.

JPRouve

Scout
He is just pissed that a former United player criticises one of their own. Usually, he can rely on the support from the self-serving group of people that is the players that played together under SAF.
He is pissed because he criticized him, it's not more complicated than that and has nothing to do with anyone else.

Strelok

Not helpful to whom? A failing manager who looks out of his depth or Manchester United?!
The result was bad, the team was crap, lot of injures and the Pogba situation. Is he under pressure? Yes, a lot. More pressure is the last thing he'd need imo.

Pressure is generally a good thing however too much pressure usually resulted in bad decisions. Jose was a case imho.

Stadjer

I dont get why he added the "not in midieval times" part. What does that mean in this context?

In medieval times Ole would have challenged RvP to a duel because RvP said something he doesnt like? But since we are not in medieval times he is not responding to it?

C'est Moi Cantona

I am struggling to think of another successful manager with Ole's traits, the brutal fact is that most top mangers come across as mean beggars, or have that really short fuse that is impossible for them to hide, I'm just not seeing this from Ole.

Right or wrong, RvP thought it looked weird, and having no vested interest in us, just said it as it was, and in reality it is.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Honestly I don’t think he’s always all smiles after a loss anyway, after Arsenal he was but it’s not as bad as it’s made out to be.
I don’t see anything wrong with challenging him, but didn’t the reporter word his question as saying RVP was quite scathing toward him? Which is a bit unfair.
I don’t think his response showed he was rattled either really, I don’t think he’s the kind of person to let stuf like that really get to him.
It’s like Jose the other day saying that coach was an idiot, I don’t think we’ll ever see that from Ole, and I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.
You know what journos are like. They will say whatever to get a response. And it worked. They got their soundbite. Now it will be "United manager lashes out at former United star! etc. We'd just been hammered by Arsenal. Ole's demeanour was bad enough. It was pissing me off so I'm sure a lot of other United fans were getting angry too...and they're the ones he needs to keep on side. Could you see Poch, Klopp, Mourinho or Guardiola smirking like that? Don't think so.

I hope that Ole is smiling for the right reasons tonight.

Galinha

Well were so interested in Haaland that Ole even flew to Salzburg to talk to the guy. Yet, he preferred Dortmund's project to ours. But that's not all. Pogba seems on the way out, Smalling doesn't want to come back while Chong & Gomes are heading towards their last few months of contract. Things don't look well for Ole and his project.
The interest in Haaland was a no-brainer from the club. But its defiantly a good sign we don't spend stupid money on players who don't want to be here. And its pretty easy to see why he joined Dortmund, he will only be the second to third choice in United.. Smalling is not good enough, yes he will improve us right now, but we need a better CB than him. And I get why we struggle to extend Gomes and Chong, they haven't really done anything good to impress Ole and the club. We will not do everything to keep them.

Fosu-Mens

He is pissed because he criticized him, it's not more complicated than that and has nothing to do with anyone else.
How often have you seen former United players criticise one of their own? Rio? Neville? Scholes?

OGS has gotten worse and less objective criticism from non-United related pundits but never seemed to care... Not saying that it is a conspiracy, but the modus operandi is that you "protect" your own.

C'est Moi Cantona

I dont get why he added the "not in midieval times" part. What does that mean in this context?

In medieval times Ole would have challenged RvP to a duel because RvP said something he doesnt like? But since we are not in medieval times he is not responding to it?
Said the same further up, but I took it that been a moody & angry manager is now medieval, and Ole been a modern manager, is allowed to have this upbeat demeanour no matter what the result.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

He means it's 2020, man. No need for hairdryer treatments. Let's make love, not war. Can't we all just get along etc., etc. In all seriousness, he's saying he doesn't need to be an old school manager that rants and raves. These are different times.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Look I don't blame Ole for his frustration. It's not his fault that Woodward finds it very hard to bring more then 3 players per summer, which in turn, forces us to keep or even give contract extensions to players who don't deserve it. In such cases the manager is forced to tone down and be careful what he would say and do because he can't just get rid of the players and expect them that they would be replaced.

Having said RVP was right, Ole is too nice and managers shouldn't smile after a defeat. That's something even Rio agrees with him as well. I wonder if Ole knows about Rio as well considering both players (RVP and Rio) were WC and first teamers, not some bench warmers.
Woodward is more than capable of signing more than three players. He did it for Mourinho, he did it for LvG and he would have done it for Moyes too, if Baines had agreed to come here and if dithering Dave hadn't been thinking so hard about how Kroos and Herrera would fit in his plans while at the same time being so sure that he wanted Fellaini. It's one thing for fans on a forum to discuss Woodward's failings but please tell me there aren't many people out there who took that tweet at face value and believed that the CEO of a major corporation actually came out and admitted in public his uselessness. What that tweet meant was "don't expect to be given much in the following transfer window(s)."

And the problem didn't occur now. After offering both LvG and Mourinho a war chest each just to see it go down the drain, Woodward has assumed a more cautious approach regarding the squad and the manager's demands. That's, presumably, why he fell out with Mourinho. The latter believed that a 2nd place finish and 81 points were enough to guarantee him additional funding but, at the same time, Woodward had the improvement the "other best manager in the world" had achieved during his second season just a few miles away from OT to compare it with. What made things even worse was that Mourinho targeted two players he knew and trusted well in Perisic and Willian. At that point, Woodward didn't trust Mourinho enough to overpay (as he and Judge usually do) for players that would help the Portuguese tactically but didn't seem to be of much use for any other manager. He also didn't trust him enough anymore to pay a record fee for Maguire. The idiocy in the whole thing was that he had renewed Jose's contract before he changed his mind.

The thing with Solskajer is that he accepted the job on these conditions. The plan he sold Woodward was one of promoting academy players and buying young & hungry (mostly) British players who understand the culture of the country and the club. And he would create a team capable of challenging for the big prizes in the near future while maintaining some standards on the way toward that goal. That's why Solskjaer always tows the line, he always talks about the future and he always points out the goods and the bads of a side full of youthfulness. That's also why the only time he chose to have a dig at someone was when he berated the internet fans for demanding transfers. O tempora o mores... one of the best defences his most ardent supporters use these days is the lack of transfers. He won't get them. Or he'll get one midfielder if either Matic is sold or if a player we can all agree might prove useful becomes available. 8/21 PL wins don't give you the "right", in Woodward's mind, to ask for more of "your" players. Woodward's made a mess but he's not an idiot to go down with a failing manager. It's Solskjaer's masterplan, after all. The Norwegian has to provide proof of improvement, Ed's just here to "protect the assets". Right or wrong, i don't know. What i do know though is that most of the people who want Woody's head on a plate for letting down Solskjaer had no qualms getting behind our CEO when LvG and Mourinho were in the same position. That's how Woodward survives.

And Woodward showed his "good faith" by sanctioning the record fee for Maguire he had denied Mourinho previously and by splashing 50 more million for one of the most promising RBs in the country. We also got James as a value for money transfer. But when Solskjaer listed Rice and Longstaff for 50-60 million each, Woodward became cagey. This is Perisic/Willian territory. Just as Mourinho wanted players who could carry the ball through the lines, Solskjaer wants players who can apply more active pressing by covering lots of ground. But unlike the highly acclaimed Maguire and the need for a new RB (we had none), Woodward was not ready to (over)pay for players only Solskjaer sees important for this type of money.

End of the line, Woodward is just being Woodward. But i get the feeling that Solskjaer drove himself into a corner by going fully idealistic with his targets and by believing that the academy could provide more solutions than it already has and that he could take more out of a squad that had previously let down renown managers with CL titles and finals under their belt. He overestimated his players and he overestimated himself and his coaches. That's the main reason we have reached new lows in terms of results and performances, not our CEO. The latter just doesn't make it easier for the manager.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He won't start a pointless vendetta like the one Mourinho had started with Scholes and Neville. It's petty and it leads nowhere. And he's right.

LJJT

Yes. Which he might not be, but that is the impression he gives after every game. If you win or lose but with a fight then be happy with the efforts, if they have performed badly at least look a tad annoyed about it. At times it is like he is managing a bunch of kids, not seasoned professionals most of who have international tournament experience.
I’m fairly sure his public persona and how he is behind closed doors will be quite different. It’s important he stays positive and tries to put a positive spin on things in hard times as well.

Dec9003

You know what journos are like. They will say whatever to get a response. And it worked. They got their soundbite. Now it will be "United manager lashes out at former United star! etc. We'd just been hammered by Arsenal. Ole's demeanour was bad enough. It was pissing me off so I'm sure a lot of other United fans were getting angry too...and they're the ones he needs to keep on side. Could you see Poch, Klopp, Mourinho or Guardiola smirking like that? Don't think so.

I hope that Ole is smiling for the right reasons tonight.
I agree that some fans will be pissed with his demeanour and I don’t blame them one bit, but like I said earlier, outside of some fans being bothered by it I don’t think his demeanour in front of a camera makes a great deal of difference.

JoaquinJoaquin

If he thinks Fosu Mensah in midfield is going to solve his issues he will be sacked alot sooner then he thinks.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Edginess to players should be kept behind the scenes thanks, not in front of the TV cameras after footie matches.
Ole seems to have a knack of setting himself up to be criticised. What any normal manager would of done after the match would be shake the oppos managers hand and storm of down the tunnel. High 5ing Lingard when he came off or shaking his players hands after the match means straight away they're absolved of any blame and won't be getting any roasting in the dressing room. It may be small details but managing at a top level club everything is scrutinised and the sooner Ole learns this the better.

devilish

The interest in Haaland was a no-brainer from the club. But its defiantly a good sign we don't spend stupid money on players who don't want to be here. And its pretty easy to see why he joined Dortmund, he will only be the second to third choice in United.. Smalling is not good enough, yes he will improve us right now, but we need a better CB than him. And I get why we struggle to extend Gomes and Chong, they haven't really done anything good to impress Ole and the club. We will not do everything to keep them.
So you think that Dortmund of all clubs spent stupid money? Also you might not notice but we are shit and things aren't really improving. So let's stop pretending that the CEO who has no idea about football or the manager who keeps tanking at any level that isn't amateur level know their stuff. They don't

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I want Solskjær out as much as anyone but to hate a guy is a bit much. Most are capable of being quite level headed and I'm glad there aren't many posters like this around.
Yeah, if i could i would take it back. I was in a really bad mood last night( new born baby is refusing to sleep for days ffs) so this morning i realised that i went too far( as i sometimes do).

That post is my shame now. I need to take a brake from Ole threads i guess to avoid further embarrassing like that:)

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, if i could i would take it back. I was in a really bad mood last night( new born baby is refusing to sleep for days ffs) so this morning i realised that i went too far( as i sometimes do).

That post is my shame now.
No worries, mate. Congrats on the new born baby!

That post is my shame now. I need to take a brake from Ole threads i guess to avoid further embarrassing like that:)
Congrats :) x

JPRouve

Scout
How often have you seen former United players criticise one of their own? Rio? Neville? Scholes?

OGS has gotten worse and less objective criticism from non-United related pundits but never seemed to care... Not saying that it is a conspiracy, but the modus operandi is that you "protect" your own.
What is the relevance of that question? RVP isn't even one of them, he has no relationship with Ole. Here it's very simple, RVP criticized Ole and Ole didn't like being criticized, this has nothing to do with Rio, Neville or Scholes.

Fosu-Mens

What is the relevance of that question? RVP isn't even one of them, he has no relationship with Ole. Here it's very simple, RVP criticized Ole and Ole didn't like being criticized, this has nothing to do with Rio, Neville or Scholes.
Maybe the reason he got pissed off was that he did not expect to get criticized by a former United player. Hence his response regarding RVPs impact and history at the club. He has got so much sh*t from anyone else, and not gotten pissed off or risen to the bait. Why give that ambiguous response to what was fair criticism? He could have had the same response multiple times to less than objective criticism and it would have been understandable, but his response to RVPs more than fair statements stands out like Leicester winning the league. Maybe I am trying to see connections, where there are none, and OGS is actually feeling the pressure, but it was an out of character response from someone that has usually been diplomatic and "nice" to every negative comment.

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe the reason he got pissed off was that he did not expect to get criticized by a former United player. Hence his response regarding RVPs impact and history at the club. He has got so much sh*t from anyone else, and not gotten pissed off or risen to the bait. Why give that ambiguous response to what was fair criticism? He could have had the same response multiple times to less than objective criticism and it would have been understandable, but his response to RVPs more than fair statements stands out like Leicester winning the league. Maybe I am trying to see connections, where there are none, and OGS is actually feeling the pressure, but it was an out of character response from someone that has usually been diplomatic and "nice" to every negative comment.
I think that RVP's comments hit home and that's about it.

dove

Absolutely nothing wrong with what RVP said. Ole's press conferences are more annoying than Jose's. One is the most miserable person in the world, another is quite literally a clown who can't stop smiling and laughing. Why can't we find someone normal?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

RVP criticised Ole for the following:

RVP most likely wanted to see a similar reaction to our 4-0 loss to Everton in April where Ole stated:
"I will be successful here. There are players here that won't be part of that."

Ole's "medieval" comment is a way of saying RVP is out of touch for drawing conclusions from facial expressions.

Paul_Scholes18

Absolutely nothing wrong with what RVP said. Ole's press conferences are more annoying than Jose's. One is the most miserable person in the world, another is quite literally a clown who can't stop smiling and laughing. Why can't we find someone normal?
Klopp is crazy in the press particular when they lose. LVG was just talking about philosophy and having horny players and stuff like that too. Moyes was very beaten down a lot after defeats and even before games.
I normally do not listen to Pep since that never seem like fun so I guess he might be seen as normal. Although if you question his ideas and tactics he might get angry too.

Lampard talks really good the times I have listened too him so he might be the normal guy.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Why did He smile anyway? it must be really hard to smile after a loss like that.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What does that even mean?

and RvP wasn’t disrespectful with his comments.
It means the significance between them ends there. Ole doesn't want to be pally pally with him and also that he doesn't regard his criticism as anything significant.

bondsname

Why did He smile anyway? it must be really hard to smile after a loss like that.
Because we have a young squad maybe he feels he needs to protect them from the media. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.