Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
More risible drivel from Ole: "We've lost to Liverpool, a team that you all say are fantastic and we've been in the game until the last kick of the ball, and, for me, that's strides forward."
Bet he'll milk us eventually missing out on 4th by 3/4 points too.

"We got close than last year. That's progress for me."

Alabaster Codify7

When he was caretaker and auditioning for the role he desperately wanted, Ole was full of it wasn't he - bullish, almost uber-confident, assertive. The second he was made permanent, BOOM - the real Ole comes out and has never gone away since. A meek, mild, submissive underdog.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
When he was caretaker and auditioning for the role he desperately wanted, Ole was full of it wasn't he - bullish, almost uber-confident, assertive. The second he was made permanent, BOOM - the real Ole comes out and has never gone away since. A meek, mild, submissive underdog.
How many games ever since he have had the luxury to have our first 11 all fit and firing? We have struggled with fitness ever since that PSG era last season. We had

Lynty

5th is not the full story.

We are 5 behind Chelsea, but we are level with Wolves, a point ahead of Sheffield.
Palace, Everton, and Newcastle are as close to us as we are to Chelsea!

We are as close to Leicester as we are to the likes of Brighton, West Ham, and Watford!

Look at the table from a points perspective rather than just positions.

TeamPoints
Liverpool
64​
63​
62​
61​
60​
59​
58​
57​
56​
55​
54​
53​
52​
51​
50​
49​
Man City
48​
47​
46​
Leicester
45​
44​
43​
42​
41​
40​
Chelsea
39​
38​
37​
36​
35​
Man Utd, Wolves
34​
Sheff Utd
33​
32​
Spurs
31​
C Palace
30​
Arsenal, Everton, Newcastle
29​
Southampton
28​
Burnley
27​
26​
Brighton
25​
24​
West Ham, Watford
23​
Aston Villa
22​
21​
AFC Bournemouth
20​
19​
18​
Norwich
17​
Lets just see where we end up.

Xaviboy

More risible drivel from Ole: "We've lost to Liverpool, a team that you all say are fantastic and we've been in the game until the last kick of the ball, and, for me, that's strides forward."
Between that and City quote about playing their full strength side in semi final of cup tells us where going places.

Absolute crap to hear and see as Man Utd manager. Cant be arsed listening to him anymore.

TsuWave

The Sun and Custis but;

"The club, however, are not considering him at the moment having invested so much trust in Solskjaer.
They accept it could take another two seasons to come to fruition but are determined to show patience, even if it means ending this season potless and outside the top six."

For gods sake I hope its not true, the naivety is staggering at this farce of a club
feck’s sake. Makes you want to give football up.

Unbelievable.

AFC NimbleThumb

I loved OgS the player but this absolute cretin of a manager needs to go.

Alabaster Codify7

I've never seen a football manager employed with zero accountability for anything at all before. It's quite crazy to witness. I can see this being a real curiosity to talk about in 2025 or something.

Roboc7

I've never seen a football manager employed with zero accountability for anything at all before. It's quite crazy to witness. I can see this being a real curiosity to talk about in 2025 or something.
The CEO and the manager seem to both have no accountability and I am sure they will keep lowering the bar because they don’t have the ability to be successful. Compare the crap Ole is coming out with now from when he first took over, everyone is being massively overpaid to fail.

Revaulx

Or maybe what he says is dead right. For him, it is a sign of progression. The team didn’t drop their heads, they tried their hardest. One of the main problems to this team. For years actually.
Not true. Jose’s man management clearly left a lot to be desired, yet we made plenty of splendid comebacks under him. The players have rarely failed to “try their hardest” in big games. It’s undoubtedly been a problem against lesser sides, and I’ve yet to see any evidence that it’s got any better under Ole.

I guess we should forget about results then and just think about it as a bizarre experiment, one never before seen in football. Can a club, with the right backing and time, make any seemingly shite manager a top one.

You can't say it's not interesting.

MrEarl

Selling Fellaini in January without a replacement. Good or bad?
Accept that Herrera leaves on a free without a replacement. Good or bad?
Selling Lukaku without a replacement. Once again. Good or bad?
This is directed at OGS. In addition there are references to a fixed budget which OGS decides how to spend.

My understanding from reading the various sports pages is that the decisions on how much money to spend and how many players to buy is made by the owners and Woodward not OGS. The manager's role is to recommend players to be purchased subject to a committee decision. Keeping the old adage in mind that "an elephant is a horse designed by a committee" that's how OGS was handed a team to begin this season with only one proven Premier League CM, Pogba and two proven Premier League attackers, Martial & Rashford. The only viable bench was for the four defenders.

If, as charged, OGS made the decision not to add desperately needed attackers and CMs, he would undoubtably be the first Premier League manager to decide to hand available money over to the owners and pass up the opportunity to make critically needed additions to his team. What would the source be for the claims that OGS decided not to replace gaping holes in his team left by the departure of essential players like Herrera or Lukaku? If the claims are true, OGS is guilty as charged.

Or maybe what he says is dead right. For him, it is a sign of progression. The team didn’t drop their heads, they tried their hardest. One of the main problems to this team. For years actually.
Hmmmmm.... Liverpool home (Zlatan-time), Palace away (Matic), Newcastle (Pogback), Juve away. I don't think Mourinho's team ever stopped trying, that aint something you can label at them.

They are just the "off the top of my head" games @Wolfmother.

How many of those late comebacks have we had under Ole?

Utdstar01

Apparently we took strides forward :houllier: strides forward to mediocrity. Actually, we're already there.

This is directed at OGS. In addition there are references to a fixed budget which OGS decides how to spend.

My understanding from reading the various sports pages is that the decisions on how much money to spend and how many players to buy is made by the owners and Woodward not OGS. The manager's role is to recommend players to be purchased subject to a committee decision. Keeping the old adage in mind that "an elephant is a horse designed by a committee" that's how OGS was handed a team to begin this season with only one proven Premier League CM, Pogba and two proven Premier League attackers, Martial & Rashford.
Bullshit Dougy, Woodward simply signs off on the amount.

Ole wasn't handed anything, he fecking presided over it with his veto control, and he ended up with this squad because he decided to spent almost 140m quid on 2 defenders, the area of the pitch our squad was most stocked.

If that was the only money he was allowed, maybe he'd have been better off letting Smalling stay and buying 1 CM and a forward instead?

Spunking 143 millon Euros on 2 defenders and allowing 5 players + mophead to leave and then complaining that the manager was handed an elephant that is a horse designed by a committee . That's a bit rich eh?

matt10000

Ole! He’s fooling you. Money is his motivation. A few years as a United manager and he will make a fortune. Be my guest in two three years when he walks away smiling all the way to bank. I don’t buy a word coming from his mouth. False and rotten in to the core. Mark my words.
Jeez......it’s fun to disagree and have a bit of a debate, banter, mickey take etc....but “rotten to the core” ? Regardless of whether you are Ole in or Ole out, this is his professional career!

Alabaster Codify7

I guess we should forget about results then and just think about it as a bizarre experiment, one never before seen in football. Can a club, with the right backing and time, make any seemingly shite manager a top one.

You can't say it's not interesting.

This is essentially what is going on really. It's a weird little experiment that's doomed to fail.

Foxbatt

I am now resigned to the fact that this club has become a joke and a mediocre club for a long time. The fact that Ole is not going to be sacked so long as he toes the company line. We will end up in around the 5th 6th or 7th and it will be claimed as progress by Ole. The match going fans will support him and sing his songs and Woodward would be beaming from his throne.
Ole is not to be sacked unless he fails miserably. With the money behind him he is not going to fail miserably. We will be a mid table team. And most of you would say we are rebuilding and next year is our year. Yeah it sounds familiar? I have been hearing this same statement for the past 20 years.

MrEarl

Bullshit Dougy, Woodward simply signs off on the amount.

Ole wasn't handed anything, he fecking presided over it with his veto control, and he ended up with this squad because he decided to spent almost 140m quid on 2 defenders, the area of the pitch our squad was most stocked.

If that was the only money he was allowed, maybe he'd have been better off letting Smalling stay and buying 1 CM and a forward instead?
That's the first I've heard of OGS having veto control. From what I've read in various publications (Mail, Mirror, Football 365, Manchester Evening News, etc.) OGS makes recs and "the committee" makes the final decision on who to buy or sell. Woodward and the owners make the financial decision on how much money will be spent. Then there are other factors. For example pretty much everybody has reported that the guy that does the negotiations, Judge, can only work on one deal at a time. The Maguire negotiations went down to the wire and so he didn't have time to replace Lukaku. Time for a new negotiator. The current set up looks like The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight.

I'm not claiming that what I have read is the gospel truth. There are countless published stories that have no basis in fact like, we'll be signing Maddison momentarily when in reality he is totally unavailable.

That's the first I've heard of OGS having veto control. From what I've read in various publications (Mail, Mirror, Football 365, Manchester Evening News, etc.) OGS makes recs and "the committee" makes the final decision on who to buy or sell.
Ole himself has told you on several occasions that he has final say on incomings and outgoings…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...charge-Manchester-United-transfer-policy.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...and-a-potent-new-technical-director-m9l8k7cm0

Crashoutcassius

I am now resigned to the fact that this club has become a joke and a mediocre club for a long time. The fact that Ole is not going to be sacked so long as he toes the company line. We will end up in around the 5th 6th or 7th and it will be claimed as progress by Ole. The match going fans will support him and sing his songs and Woodward would be beaming from his throne.
Ole is not to be sacked unless he fails miserably. With the money behind him he is not going to fail miserably. We will be a mid table team. And most of you would say we are rebuilding and next year is our year. Yeah it sounds familiar? I have been hearing this same statement for the past 20 years.
What part of finishing 5th would be oles fault out of interest ? Is the list of players he wants to sign too good and he should try to sign worse players to increase the chance of ed and team getting them ?

AFC NimbleThumb

What part of finishing 5th would be oles fault out of interest ? Is the list of players he wants to sign too good and he should try to sign worse players to increase the chance of ed and team getting them ?
Ridiculous point.

I’d quite like to sign De Bruyne, Fabinho & Kroos. They aren’t coming so how about we look elsewhere.

We are not replacing an in his pomp Roy Keane or Paul Scholes so if this club with our it’s scouting network are saying they are unable to find a decent upgrade on Periera & Lingard because they aren’t ‘the finished article’ we may aswell shut up shop.

You do as City did with De Bruyne or Liverpool did with Mane [the list goes on] & you buy a player with prospects then coach them up.

OgS/the club saying their 1st choices are unavailable so they won’t buy anyone is a ridiculous stance & fans lapping it up is exactly why the man can be historically bad but smile from ear to ear post game knowing he’s off nowhere.

FerociousCorgis

with how incredibly inept every other usual top 4 team has been besides liverpool im not sure how Ole should be retained if he doesnt finish 4th. The product on the field has just been lackluster all season. For me i would bring in an actual manager who has shown an ability to manage at the highest level. Not some past manchester united forward who was decent in norway for a little bit. How have we been not playing 4-3-3 all season with our personnel? Shouldve been using mctominay/fred/pogba in midfield. James and rashford wide with martial forward. Can't tell me that couldnt break down these lower teams with competent coaching. Switch it up a bit against liverpool and maybe city. Rest of teams we should be able to handle with that. Instead we see players like lingard getting shoehorned into a formation where they are trash and we look like trash. But hey we spent 150 million on our backline and still can't keep clean sheets

Alabaster Codify7

Crashoutcassius

Ridiculous point.

I’d quite like to sign De Bruyne, Fabinho & Kroos. They aren’t coming so how about we look elsewhere.

We are not replacing an in his pomp Roy Keane or Paul Scholes so if this club with our it’s scouting network are saying they are unable to find a decent upgrade on Periera & Lingard because they aren’t ‘the finished article’ we may aswell shut up shop.

You do as City did with De Bruyne or Liverpool did with Mane [the list goes on] & you buy a player with prospects then coach them up.

OgS/the club saying their 1st choices are unavailable so they won’t buy anyone is a ridiculous stance & fans lapping it up is exactly why the man can be historically bad but smile from ear to ear post game knowing he’s off nowhere.
So are you saying yes the blame falls on ole for only finishing 5th because he didn't accept more achievable targets for the team ?

AFC NimbleThumb

So are you saying yes the blame falls on ole for only finishing 5th because he didn't accept more achievable targets for the team ?
Far from ALL his fault but I find it funny how people will absolve him of blame when it comes to incomings but praise him for getting rid of deadwood.

He along with other levels of management have overseen 1.5 windows [because we’re meant to let him off for last January] in which their ‘targets’ have remained out of reach so I believe there should be a change of tactic.

So. No. I’m not saying all the blame falls on OgS.

It’d be fanciful to claim he was blameless though.

Crashoutcassius

Far from ALL his fault but I find it funny how people will absolve him of blame when it comes to incomings but praise him for getting rid of deadwood.

He along with other levels of management have overseen 1.5 windows [because we’re meant to let him off for last January] in which their ‘targets’ have remained out of reach so I believe there should be a change of tactic.

So. No. I’m not saying all the blame falls on OgS.

It’d be fanciful to claim he was blameless though.
I agree, I guess I'm just trying to get people to help me put the words together , if ole finishes 5th with a squad that is we mostly argue about the 5th best squad , what are we angry about ? And I think it is as we said, not pushing our negotiators and acquisition team to push in with more achievable targets and taking the rebuild a too slow

I guess we don't know if any of this is up to him or we don't know if maybe he is the main person to blame

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Hmmmmm.... Liverpool home (Zlatan-time), Palace away (Matic), Newcastle (Pogback), Juve away. I don't think Mourinho's team ever stopped trying, that aint something you can label at them.

They are just the "off the top of my head" games @Wolfmother.

How many of those late comebacks have we had under Ole?
City away, Arsenal at home - late Fellaini winner. Chelsea at home. Not all late comebacks.

AshRK

I never like how he speaks like a defeatist, surely he would have learned better from Sir alex. Something seems off. As a manager he may be not upto the mark but as a person having achieved so much with the club and played under the best, surely he cannot be so content with this season. Is it because the board have screwed him by not giving him enough money. Let us not forget he openly said in April it would be last of many here and he would be building with some of the current lot and buying new ones and then in July after buying AWB and James he said we are looking for 3 more players for sure, only for him to reduce that number in AUgust by saying 1 or 2. Something does seem weird.

AFC NimbleThumb

I agree, I guess I'm just trying to get people to help me put the words together , if ole finishes 5th with a squad that is we mostly argue about the 5th best squad , what are we angry about ? And I think it is as we said, not pushing our negotiators and acquisition team to push in with more achievable targets and taking the rebuild a too slow

I guess we don't know if any of this is up to him or we don't know if maybe he is the main person to blame
Exactly.

So for me, we either give him credit for all transfers [incoming & outgoing] or we do not.

I tend to hear though [you haven’t said this so this isn’t pointed at you], criticism of woodward when things go wrong & praise for OgS when ‘deadwood’ leave.

I can’t credit him for transfers out without heavily criticising transfers in.

AFC NimbleThumb

I never like how he speaks like a defeatist, surely he would have learned better from Sir alex. Something seems off. As a manager he may be not upto the mark but as a person having achieved so much with the club and played under the best, surely he cannot be so content with this season. Is it because the board have screwed him by not giving him enough money. Let us not forget he openly said in April it would be last of many here and he would be building with some of the current lot and buying new ones and then in July after buying AWB and James he said we are looking for 3 more players for sure, only for him to reduce that number in AUgust by saying 1 or 2. Something does seem weird.
This is bang on.

It seems he just changes his tune dependent on what the higher ups want briefed.

Foxbatt

I don't know if you are a wum or not. If this squad is not good enough then it is Ole's fault. I do not think this Squad is that bad. Yes we have injuries and that is his fault too. You cannot blame Woodward for getting the squad this thin. Ole was given a budget and he decides how to spend it. It is his fault for spending 80 million on Maguire when a central defender was the last thing you need with the departure of Fellaini and Herrera and the desires of Pogba to leave. Our midfield was decimated. You let two midfield players who are regulars leave the club and then did not strengthen because Longstaff was not available? As another OP has said very eloquently if he cannot get his first choice then get someone who is better than what we have right now. By all means to all the Ole in squad our players are the problem and not the manager. In this case anyone would be better than what we have isn't it?

Gasolin

I don't know if you are a wum or not. If this squad is not good enough then it is Ole's fault. I do not think this Squad is that bad. Yes we have injuries and that is his fault too. You cannot blame Woodward for getting the squad this thin. Ole was given a budget and he decides how to spend it. It is his fault for spending 80 million on Maguire when a central defender was the last thing you need with the departure of Fellaini and Herrera and the desires of Pogba to leave. Our midfield was decimated. You let two midfield players who are regulars leave the club and then did not strengthen because Longstaff was not available? As another OP has said very eloquently if he cannot get his first choice then get someone who is better than what we have right now. By all means to all the Ole in squad our players are the problem and not the manager. In this case anyone would be better than what we have isn't it?
No I think we have a hard choice to make but spending for the second or third choices is what has created this current squad. This is going to be a problem. At the end of the day, it's a money issue... there are only 2 ways out. Either the club is sold to someone who can put more money in, or, the Glazers go all in and start being in charge of everything. They have to listen to Ole on how to run the FC because as much as you hate it, he's the biggest fan ever of United and he wants the best for the football club, literally. He will sacrifice himself if that's what it takes so we know we can count on him. And the correct way to run the club is to go back to basics, see talent, promote them, and hire once in a while the super star if conditions are met. Never go for any second choice or lower.

In Manchester United, DoF positions or such are not really a need. What we need is to bring the football focus back, and that means listening to the manager. A manager who will then delegate as needed, but the money owners need to listen to the footballing side of the club. We will then start changing the staff for the better people, and the team will naturally benefit from it. It will require some money. There are only 2 big sources of money on earth that we can tap in as of now, it's either the Middle East or Asia, probably China. If we can get any type of major sponsorship from one of those regions, we can start investing into players again. And yes, Ole job of removing the high wages earner who do not perform is one of the most critical job.

Can someone imagine how crazy it is to hear that Rashford has played with pain in the back for years? Who in the medical staff said that was fine? Years = under Mourinho, and even under LVG most probably. How can you find normal that Evra discovers, when he's like 33, that he's allergic to eggs, when United could not note that? Why do we have all those issues with Pogba? Because the staff is not properly selected. Ole needs to re-hire the right people for the job, people who are committed to the footballing success, and for that, you need someone who thinks like a fan, breathes like a fan.

I know lots of you get upset with what he says but it's literally useless messages. For all we know, we could just s*** in public if that's what it takes to just get this interview done. What we needs are points, and progress off the field, and it will happen when we remove Ed from any football decisions + we can get more investment from somewhere. That's where our focus should be right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.