Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
The problem today wasn't the tactics. The problem was that we never got going.

It was a question of mentality. You have to ask what kind of players would allow themselves to drop to that level.

The dressing room needs leaders who will pull up their teammates when they're struggling. If Pogba is the current leader and this team performance is a reflection of his influence, I'd be willing to get shot - world-class player or not. Same goes for De Gea and anybody else. Nobody should be safe.

That's the job Ole needs to do. Fergie got rid of the drinking culture in the 80s. Now we need to get rid of the coasting culture.

At the very least we should have made the game difficult for Everton.

Paul_Scholes18

What exactly has gone wrong in the last 5 weeks? The players looked like they wanted it and gave everything. But in the last few weeks everything has fallen apart. It seems something very big and potentially bad has happened.
I think some defeats have lowered the confidence in our players. We got negative momentum against us and have not been able to turn it around.
There might be some problems with some players though. De gea has been poor for a long time. Pogba has lost his confidence.

All our attackers have struggled too recently. I think we lack a good system to fall back on when the confidence goes down and it shows recently.

I had hoped Ole would be able to lift the players, but right now it doesn't look like it.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
That was utterly abysmal, I can't recall us looking this shit under even Mourinho. West Ham this season springs to mind but we kept the deficit to 2. Today Everton could have scored more.

I love the guy but after today I have massive doubts.

NoLogo

He is the 4th manager under whom the team plays like fecking garbage after only a couple of good games. So it's save to say we need a major overhaul now and the question we need to ask is if he is the right man for a rebuild like that and to be honest I genuinely don't have the slightest clue if he is up to it or not.

JawZ

How things have turned. Our fairy-tale run got us back into the race we never deserved. A season to forget.

Dansk

my god how fecking stupid are we? What was there to gain from making Ole the permanent manager when we did?
I guess the club was as exicted as the fans were. We did win like eleven games in a row, after all. Giving him the contract right away was certainly premature and short-sighted, but maybe it seemed safe enough and was deemed to be what's necessary to recapture an increasingly disillusioned fanbase.

Classical Mechanic

I said earlier that maybe the players are to blame since we've hired two very good managers in the past(Mou CV is only second to Pep)and apparently CV's mean feck all.
Mou did what he does at every club he's been at and alienated the players in his third season and got sacked. That's just Mou being Mou. There was also the a popular feeling that he was past his best when we signed him.

binary bot
Were we worried that Madrid would snap him up. Or the draw of going back to Molde would become too big?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Gonna copy/paste something I posted in the matchday thread.

The moment we extended the first one (Young or Jones, I don't remember), I knew it was Ole who would be made permanent because it never made any sense to extend a player without his ok and his ok wouldn't matter if he wasn't lined up as a permanent manager.
All in all, Ole was to be the permanent manager from the go, we have been fooling ourselves

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
What i don't understand is why some managers suddenly change their approach which was working so well earlier. Why we went to a counter attacking side from a pressing possession one is a mystery

starman

We can bring in the right players. We have 52 scouts is it? There are targets there that have been long standing.

Alderweirald, Koulibali, Joao Felix, Sancho, Saul, Rodri, Munier, Rice, Tierney, Bruno Fernandes, Ruben Neves are examples of attainable targets who would undoubtedly lift the quality of the side.

The problem is we won't spend what is needed in one window.

Also why Sanchez? He's barely been given any chance whatsoever. Lukaku was shite today. So shite. And yet Rashford and Martial were able to be just as shit or even shitter. Martial for fecksake. How can anyone want to sell Lukaku over Martial? It's a joke.
Getting in the right players over the last few years have clearly been a problem yet people on here always want us to just buy a new team every season. It's not just about the quality its about the right personnel

Sanchez is on a ridiculous contract. Lukaku is abysmal value. Martial is lazy but at least has talent, lots of clubs will be interested in him thinking they could unlock his potential. Not against selling him, but not before Lukaku or Sanchez

marktan

He has to get a full season at least before we can judge him imo. That said, this summer will be very important. The club need to do everything right now.
We said the same for Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose.

It's a mistake. He has no clout at the top level. A decent run and the flukiest of all flukes against PSG doesn't change that. Wasting a summer of spending with Ole will be a waste as he's inevitably going to get sacked next season, so if we knew anything we'd expedite the process and just get a top manager in now.

Unfortunately the only thing Ed cares about is making money, so he's more then happy for Ole to cotinunue.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Getting in the right players over the last few years have clearly been a problem yet people on here always want us to just buy a new team every season.

Sanchez is on a ridiculous contract. Lukaku is abysmal value. Martial is lazy but at least has talent, lots of clubs will be interested him. Not against selling him, but not before Lukaku or Sanchez
I don't give a shit about the contract if Sanchez shows a better attitude on the pitch than all of his peers. Martial doesn't have any more talent than Lukaku or Sanchez. I'm getting so tired of this tiresome claim. You don't just play for United because you have potential. We aren't a school. There needs to be an established level of quality even if you're 18 which he does not have sufficient levels of. Same for Rashford.

Minimalist

Today is nothing to do with selection or tactics.

The most glaring things were effort and quality.

Beyond the players, my big worry is the lack of a football director to plan out the transfer strategy.

SteveW

Not quite getting the hysteria. Did people expect Ole to get top 4 when he took over? He did terrific to get into contention for it.

He now has the summer to try and fix the squad.

In Ole I trust.

Devil may care

I'm not sure how toi judge him right now as the players are playing so badly, but we are 2-0 down and his answer was to swap Fred and McTominay? I don't see how that was going to help us as it didn't add any creativity and didn't alter the shit show going on up top.

Sweet Square

Mou did what he does at every club he's been at and alienated the players in his third season and got sacked. That's just Mou being Mou. There was also the a popular feeling that he was past his best when we signed him.
Yeah I'm not defending Mou. But when we've gotten rid of two managers with very good past records and some are still saying well the manager is clearly the fault(And that the new guy who's hardly been here now needs the sack), its seem a bit useless.

TsuWave

He has to get a full season at least before we can judge him imo. That said, this summer will be very important. The club need to do everything right now.
that makes no sense. the guy didn't have the credentials to begin with. no points of reference at all for him being the guy to undertake the rebuilding process United needs.

Madrid got Solari out the paint quick, we should do the same.

lilcurt

I'm not sure how toi judge him right now as the players are playing so badly, but we are 2-0 down and his answer was to swap Fred and McTominay? I don't see how that was going to help us as it didn't add any creativity and didn't alter the shit show going on up top.
I think he was trying to add a bit of physicality in the middle of the park.

passing-wind

Posted various times in our good form that the performances wasn't matching the results. Results are always temporary if the performances do not match, we are not a Madrid with a world class player in every position to rely on individual play brilliance game after game. We need a manager who will revolutionise the team both in terms of tactics and personnel. Solskjaer doesn't offer this platform, we cannot trust him with 300 million or whatever to spend because theres no foundations being set to vision his success.

That is the difference with Pep and Klopp they identify a philosophy of football that they follow irrespective. That's why it pays off to invest in managers who have their own ethos. Solskjaer has come in and is singing praises of rejuvenating the "United way" which is essentially being a rip of version of Sir Alex, football doesn't work like this unfortunately.

starman

I don't give a shit about the contract if Sanchez shows a better attitude on the pitch than all of his peers. Martial doesn't have any more talent than Lukaku or Sanchez. I'm getting so tired of this tiresome claim. You don't just play for United because you have potential. We aren't a school. There needs to be an established level of quality even if you're 18 which he does not have sufficient levels of. Same for Rashford.
:confused:
Get sick all you like, but thats ridiculous.
You clearly do not seem to comprehend the negative effect of Sanchez having the contract he has, for current players and signing future ones.

JustAGuest

We said the same for Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose.

It's a mistake. He has no clout at the top level. A decent run and the flukiest of all flukes against PSG doesn't change that. Wasting a summer of spending with Ole will be a waste as he's inevitably going to get sacked next season, so if we knew anything we'd expedite the process and just get a top manager in now.

Unfortunately the only thing Ed cares about is making money, so he's more then happy for Ole to cotinunue.
Same story with every manager. The issues run much deeper than that. I don't expect anything to change until there is a proper strategy put in place, and unfortunately it looks unlikely to happen any time soon.

SiamDevil

Shouldn't have played Matic and used as Lindelof at rb. Can't do anything about the lack of passion from the entire team.

LJJT

Back the manager. The real fans will not ever turn on Solskjaer, we’ve had Moyes, mourinho, van Gaal and they’ve all failed. The good thing now is Solskjaer is s club legend and the fans will back him and support him till the end. We can slag jones and Smalling all day and night but I’d rather have them in the team than these “super stars” that stroll around doing nothing. Oles at the wheel, support the manager he will sort this out

Devil may care

I think he was trying to add a bit of physicality in the middle of the park.
We needed two goals though, the front 3 were so bad he might as well have at least tried Sanchez, and if he felt the midfield needed bolstering then Matic should have been the one coming off as he was practically a statue.

Hawks2008

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until he has a chance to bring in his own players.

Greck

What i don't understand is why some managers suddenly change their approach which was working so well earlier. Why we went to a counter attacking side from a pressing possession one is a mystery
When caretakers first come all they have to do is refine an existing system. When it's time to imprint one of their own they often run into difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.