Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomes

Some statistical models predicted that we cant maintain the same results and they were spot on.
You mean the same statistical models that predicted Ole's downfall? It seems like they are spot on again. So why exactly are you championing for much worse manager now? This run and hope football isn't any better.

This constant bum talk is getting old. Soon enough it will bite you in the.. well you know where.

haram

We finished 2nd with 81 points. The same amount which Leicester won the league with. 9 more than 3rd placed Spurs last season. Only 5 less than a better Spurs side which finished 2nd to Conte’s 92 point winning machine.

If Ole reached 81 points and a cup final after winning 2 trophies the season before people would wank themselves into oblivion.

By the way, you cant fluke a fecking league campaign.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You mean the same statistical models that predicted Ole's downfall? It seems like they are spot on again. So why exactly are you championing for much worse manager now? This run and hope football isn't any better.

This constant bum talk is getting old. Soon enough it will bite you in the.. well you know where.
Same statistical model which shows we have done much better than the results show this season. Same statistical model that actually showed we were 3rd best team in points, goals scored since Ole took over to end of the season. Luckily they don't start with arbitrary points like last 10 games, 15 games.

I back him just like I backed Jose for a season or 2, if there is no progress then I want them out. As simple as that. Not sure why its so hard to understand.

roonster09

Scout
Jose's 1st season was so much better than his 2nd. We played some very good football and unlucky not to win many more games.

Enigma_87

You know who
All good when you miss the simplest of logic. When Jose took over we were close to other teams, when he was sacked we were miles behind other top teams. Other clubs improved while we had short term results and ended up going backwards.

When Jose took over we finished level on points with City, 4 and 5 points behind Spurs and Arsenal, few points ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea.

Now City, Liverpool looks miles better than us, Spurs played in CL finals. On the other hand we spent shit loads of money, as a club didn't improve, just kept on looking for short term solutions. In the summer everyone kept saying we needed 5-6 first team players. That's how far we have fallen. Starting points are not same for both managers.
Seriously? When Jose took over we were 5th.

When Ole took over and this season Chelsea are on transfer ban, Spurs have had their stadium built and didn't spend last year and spent less than us this year. Arsenal are/were about the same level. Leicester will be miles off title challenge.Liverpool and City obviously are miles ahead, but no one is expecting a title challenge is it?

With our team under a good manager I can see no reason why we can't challenge 3rd or 4th spot.

We needed 5-6 players because we have inexperienced manager at helm who is not able to raise the level of the players we already have.

roonster09

Scout
Seriously? When Jose took over we were 5th.

When Ole took over and this season Chelsea are on transfer ban, Spurs have had their stadium built and didn't spend last year and spent less than us this year. Arsenal are/were about the same level. Leicester will be miles off title challenge.

With our team under a good manager I can see no reason why we can't challenge 3rd or 4th spot.

We needed 5-6 players because we have inexperienced manager at helm who is not able to raise the level of the players we already have.
:lol:

Yeah it's not like people wanted RB, CB, RW, CM signed when Jose was still the manager.

Not sure what your point is, I said it long back we should be finishing at least 4th, otherwise it's not a successful season. The point I made was completely different anyways.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's not next level logic, it's having some context before judging anything.

2014-15: We were 5 points behind City and 8 points ahead of Liverpool, 6 points ahead of Spurs
2015-16: Level on points with City and 6 points ahead of Liverpool. 4 points behind Spurs

So we were at the same level as other teams when Jose took over.

Liverpool being 8th best team is not surprising either, except 2013-14 season they finished around 6-7th regularly before Klopp took over. League table shows how consistent teams were, it's not cup competition where you can say it was luck and all that.

Also it's not like I used only Chelsea as example, I used City, Liverpool and Spurs too. Somehow you talked only about Chelsea/liverpool and then accusing me of agenda.

ManUtd don't exist in isolation. What Manutd manager does is compared with other teams. He took over the club which was close to City, Liverpool, Spurs. Spend shit loads of money and ended up with worse squad than others or left in terrible state compared to Liverpool/City.

Spurs, Liverpool, City all didn't magically improve (I don't care about Chelsea and Arsenal as they are worse than us), they improved as they set the foundations right instead of shit football and lucking his way winning few games. They looked beyond results and now they are in great position for that. On the other hand, Jose who was short term expert didn't challenge for a league title in 2.5 years, looked worse version of the club from the time he took over.

Also so many stats models predicted that Manutd can't sustain the results as we created feck all, De Gea kept us in the games and they were spot on. On the other hand, same models predicted that City are much better than what they showed in 2016-17 and they were spot on again.

So in the end, Jose's hoof and hope football worked for sometime and then went downhill. In the end we did nothing in the league, signed shit players and wasted so much money.

Common notion was Jose after spending shit loads of money has not improved the club. He didn't improve the play style, there was no process behind anything. It was just hoof and hope football.

I don't know and care who and why they believe we are closer to Leicester, Wolves, Everton. I said they were wrong when Jose was manager, I said they are wrong when Ole is the manager. Even yesterday this was my post.

It's not my problem that fans like you can't take your head out of Jose's arse. I don't care who the manager is, the minimum expectation is to finish at least in top 4 and play good football.

What exactly did his short term buys achieved? Nothing, on the other hand signings done by Liverpool are going something great. They didn't outspend us, they did as much as Jose and have better results to show.

Also squad is not mismanaged, Ole and others are cleaning up the shit accumulated by Jose and his pathetic short term strategy. We have sold Fellaini whose purpose was to be at the end of long balls, Lukaku who didn't suit the way Ole wanted to play, Sanchez who was just shit and paid more than any player in the league, Valencia who was done at top level. Only player we should have retained was Herrera. Bloated squad, wage bill and poor quality players.

When Liverpool and City have consistent plan, Jose just wanted signings who can do short term job and get done with that season.

Liverpool wanted VVD, couldn't sign him but then waited 6 months to sign him. Pep wanted Mahrez, Laporte couldn't sign them, waited few months and then signed them.

Jose wanted Toby, he couldn't sign. Wanted to sign Boateng, couldn't sign him. Then tried to sign Godin and failed. Maguire falls somewhere in the middle. That's the difference in approach. That's why he lefts us with shit players whereas Liverpool and City have good players as they are consistent in their targets. Like Ralf Rangnick said, if you can't sign the player you wanted then don't sign the wrong player. Jose did exactly opposite of that.

He wanted average players like Perisic, Willian and wanted to offload players like Martial. And now we wonder why we have such a poor squad compared to other top teams.

Funny a Jose fan accusing someone else of agenda, lapping up the shit when they lapped up all the bs he spouted and also his side kick Duncan Castles.
Being genuinely serious, if you look at the amount of effort and nuance in this post and then see some of the stuff on the other side... it can’t help but to persuade people. Thank you for taking the time to write that, it was a genuine pleasure to read.

Enigma_87

You know who

Yeah it's not like people wanted RB, CB, RW, CM signed when Jose was still the manager.

Not sure what your point is, I said it long back we should be finishing at least 4th, otherwise it's not a successful season. The point I made was completely different anyways.
Point is the squad looks weaker to me compared to what Jose left because bunch of senior members were not replaced. You can blame Jose on disrupting the harmony, but you can't blame him that our squad looks worse than couple of months before.

On top of that we have unbalanced squad with 7 CB's and short in attack and CM.

My point is, as you said we should be finishing top 4 because the competition apart from Liverpool and City is not much stronger. However we(put Ed if you like if you don't want to put the blame on the manager for the transfer business) have put ourselves into a position that our squad is highly unlikely to finish top 4, due to being short in certain areas and lacks quality in midfield.

roonster09

Scout
Point is the squad looks weaker to me compared to what Jose left because bunch of senior members were not replaced. You can blame Jose on disrupting the harmony, but you can't blame him that our squad looks worse than couple of months before.

On top of that we have unbalanced squad with 7 CB's and short in attack and CM.

My point is, as you said we should be finishing top 4 because the competition apart from Liverpool and City is not much stronger. However we(put Ed if you like if you don't want to put the blame on the manager for the transfer business) have put ourselves into a position that our squad is highly unlikely to finish top 4, due to being short in certain areas and lacks quality in midfield.
Now the squad is weaker as we are still in the process of offloading players from the bloated squad. We have too many players who offers very little for the wages they are paid.

We needed RB, CB, CM, RW last season too and by the end of window everyone was desperate for at least a CB. After 2 seasons of rebuilding we still had so much to do as the signings flopped.

I agree that squad is unbalanced and also poorer than last season but it's a work in progress. We had to offload few players and we did it too late to replace them. We still have lot of work to do, in trimming the squad and offload players who don't offer anything.

My actual point was we were closer to City, Liverpool, Spurs when Jose took over and now by the time he left, City and Liverpool are miles ahead of us.

roonster09

Scout
Being genuinely serious, if you look at the amount of effort and nuance in this post and then see some of the stuff on the other side... it can’t help but to persuade people. Thank you for taking the time to write that, it was a genuine pleasure to read.
Thank you :)

haram

People wanted Jose to challenge that behemoth of a City side and also build long term at the same time. A lot of his signings, if not majority of his signings were aged 25 or under. This fan base is fecking deluded.

Cried when we accumulated 81 points saying the players were capable of more under another manager and then cry that the players are shite when a new manager joins.

Good luck to Ole reaching 81 points. Maybe lets make things easier, good luck winning the league cup and Europa league this season. Turn around the “mess” that Jose apparently created.

roonster09

Scout
People wanted Jose to challenge that behemoth of a City side and also build long term at the same time. A lot of his signings, if not majority of his signings were aged 25 or under. This fan base is fecking deluded.

Cried when we accumulated 81 points saying the players were capable of more under another manager and then cry that the players are shite when a new manager joins.

Good luck to Ole reaching 81 points. Maybe lets make things easier, good luck winning the league cup and Europa league this season.
And somehow Liverpool did it :lol:

Jose fan boys and their worshiping is just on another level.

Enigma_87

You know who
Now the squad is weaker as we are still in the process of offloading players from the bloated squad. We have too many players who offers very little for the wages they are paid.

We needed RB, CB, CM, RW last season too and by the end of window everyone was desperate for at least a CB. After 2 seasons of rebuilding we still had so much to do as the signings flopped.

I agree that squad is unbalanced and also poorer than last season but it's a work in progress. We had to offload few players and we did it too late to replace them. We still have lot of work to do, in trimming the squad and offload players who don't offer anything.

My actual point was we were closer to City, Liverpool, Spurs when Jose took over and now by the time he left, City and Liverpool are miles ahead of us.
I agree on City and Liverpool of course, but are Spurs really that much better than us?

They've reinforced with NDombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon over 2 years. Granted they do had a better team to start with, but lost Trippier (who was average last year) and didn't replace him and Eriksen/Toby seems wanting to leave and in the last year of their contracts. Alli also doesn't seem to develop in the way he was expected and is also a bit average since last year.

All in all they are that much better than year before despite reaching the CL finals and also have a short squad?

haram

Jose fan boys and their worshiping is just on another level.
Congratulations to them. They finished behind us the season before but the board back their manager and believe in his vision.

I don't worship Jose. People cried after we finished 2nd and now they realise how far away the team actually is. That’s not Jose’s fault. That’s the boards fault.

Siorac

Congratulations to them. They finished behind us the season before but the board back their manager and believe in his vision.

I don't worship Jose. People cried after we finished 2nd and now they realise how far away the team actually is. That’s not Jose’s fault. That’s the boards fault.
Oh yes you do. It's almost heartwarming to see you still fighting the fight.

The team is really far away partly because of the terrible transfers of your hero. But of course it's not his fault, it's that he didn't get to waste even more money!

roonster09

Scout

So now Klopp didn't sign anyone this season, so can we expect them to fall apart?

Their board backed him as they didn't spend much and his work made everyone convinced that he was taking them forward. Apart from all that, he created such a great atmosphere that everyone wants to be part of it and on the other hand, Jose created such a toxic environment that club had to beg journalists to create something positive in preseason.

When they finished behind us, they also smashed few teams and reached CL finals and the way they progressed, many had them as favorites to finish ahead of us next season.

It's not like Liverpool back him with shit loads of money, they sold their best player and reinvested. In the end, they spent as much as ManUtd under Jose, they have by far the second best team in the league and one of the favorites to win CL. On the other hand, we are still work in progress thanks to shit signings who were good for 1/1.5 seasons.

JustAGuest

You only have to look at the amount of money Jose spent, and how little there is to show for it in the current squad, to realise why we are in this position of needing "another" rebuild.

The 2nd place keeps being brought up, how come the team did so much worse the season after (with pretty much the same squad)? I think it's quite simple: all indicators pointed towards it being a very fortunate season, where a fair finish in line with our performances would have been in the region of 5th to 6th place.

TrueRed79

Utter delusion.

We finished 2nd and they stopped backing Jose. That’s the boards fault. The recruitment before Jose was worse. The wage bill is the boards fault.

The board created the mess and it looks like they are on their way to creating another mess this season which will have repercussions next summer.

Jose did not create a mess. This club has been a mess for fecking years. How much bullshit do they need to churn out for people to realise that.
People in this thread/forum just wilfully ignore this fact which is the main reason we are in the position we are. It actually beggars belief. We are rotten from the top down. No footballing men making the decisions. Just a load of finance twats playing FM with one of the biggest clubs in the world. While that analogy is not completely true of course, it's not actually that far from the truth either.

haram

Oh yes you do. It's almost heartwarming to see you still fighting the fight.

The team is really far away partly because of the terrible transfers of your hero. But of course it's not his fault, it's that he didn't get to waste even more money!
You don't need to worship someone to acknowledge that the first two seasons deserve way more credit than they ever received. If people want to talk about a mess, the only people who created a mess is the board.

haram

So now Klopp didn't sign anyone this season, so can we expect them to fall apart?

Their board backed him as they didn't spend much and his work made everyone convinced that he was taking them forward. Apart from all that, he created such a great atmosphere that everyone wants to be part of it and on the other hand, Jose created such a toxic environment that club had to beg journalists to create something positive in preseason.

When they finished behind us, they also smashed few teams and reached CL finals and the way they progressed, many had them as favorites to finish ahead of us next season.

It's not like Liverpool back him with shit loads of money, they sold their best player and reinvested. In the end, they spent as much as ManUtd under Jose, they have by far the second best team in the league and one of the favorites to win CL. On the other hand, we are still work in progress thanks to shit signings who were good for 1/1.5 seasons.
Klopp had a season before Jose joined. The Liverpool board back him and his vision meanwhile Woodward clearly doesn’t know what he wants to back or what vision he believes in because every manager is different to the last. Woodward and the board have created the mess, not a manager who fecking over achieved before being fecked over in the summer. People need to give their head a wobble.

Siorac

You don't need to worship someone to acknowledge that the first two seasons deserve way more credit than they ever received. If people want to talk about a mess, the only people who created a mess is the board.
The board does deserve blame for allowing the likes of Moyes, Van Gaal, and Mourinho running amok without any oversight or structure or plan. That, however, does not absolve the managers from blame for their numerous mistakes and woeful transfers.

haram

The board does deserve blame for allowing the likes of Moyes, Van Gaal, and Mourinho running amok without any oversight or structure or plan. That, however, does not absolve the managers from blame for their numerous mistakes and woeful transfers.
So whichever way you want to spin it, the board has created the mess. Like I said, they are probably creating another one and OP has somehow decided Ole is fixing it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's quite funny, hate him all you want but Mourinho got the best league finish we had since 2012. The final season may have been a car crash but the first two were improvements from what we experienced before.

Siorac

Klopp had a season before Jose joined. The Liverpool board back him and his vision meanwhile Woodward clearly doesn’t know what he wants to back or what vision he believes in because every manager is different to the last. Woodward and the board have created the mess, not a manager who fecking over achieved before being fecked over in the summer. People need to give their head a wobble.
Klopp didn't have a full season, he joined in October. And he did not get to break the world transfer record in his first summer and then the British transfer record in his second. This idea that Woodward didn't back Mourinho doesn't even stand up to the most minimal scrutiny. Like, a quick look at our transfers immediately destroys the myth.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Jose fan boys and their worshiping
is just on another level.
Here we go :lol:

If you actually read his post there isn't much wrong with it. We all thought the manager can do better than 81 points with what he had, and we haven't come close since. Nor do we look likely to.

I think that it upsets you we had our best season under a manager you clearly hate, so anything that's not a bitter post towards Jose is stamped as "fanboy worshippers"

haram

Klopp didn't have a full season, he joined in October. And he did not get to break the world transfer record in his first summer and then the British transfer record in his second. This idea that Woodward didn't back Mourinho doesn't even stand up to the most minimal scrutiny. Like, a quick look at our transfers immediately destroys the myth.
So he started 2 months in? It’s still significant time to assess a squad. There is progression from each of those seasons where records are broken until the last summer where he was NOT backed.

Siorac

So whichever way you want to spin it, the board has created the mess. Like I said, they are probably creating another one and OP has somehow decided Ole is fixing it.
Well I don't share Twiggy's sunshine-filled optimism, I'm just saying that Mourinho did a terrible job and yes, I hold the board culpable for not recognising earlier that he's past it. Should have been fired after the Sevilla press conference when it was clear that he had no interest in anything but protecting himself.

And yes, I hold the board culpable for not sacking Van Gaal in December 2015 when we lost to anyone who wandered in our rough direction. But again, this doesn't mean that the managers can be absolved. They all did terrible jobs.

haram

Well I don't share Twiggy's sunshine-filled optimism, I'm just saying that Mourinho did a terrible job and yes, I hold the board culpable for not recognising earlier that he's past it. Should have been fired after the Sevilla press conference when it was clear that he had no interest in anything but protecting himself.

And yes, I hold the board culpable for not sacking Van Gaal in December 2015 when we lost to anyone who wandered in our rough direction. But again, this doesn't mean that the managers can be absolved. They all did terrible jobs.
He didn’t do a terrible job. The board are terrible. Agree to disagree.

Siorac

It's quite funny, hate him all you want but Mourinho got the best league finish we had since 2012. The final season may have been a car crash but the first two were improvements from what we experienced before.
He did, I'm not denying that but it was also abundantly clear that we were going nowhere. It 100% looked like his second Chelsea tenure: decent first season, good start to the second and then grinding out results despite playing shite - and then a total collapse in the third. He was never going to build anything, that second place was the peak of his capabilities here. We should not have started 2018/19 with him.

Fluctuation0161

Mate, come on, you can't make wildly inaccurate comments like this:

"When Jose took over we were close to other teams, when he was sacked we were miles behind other top teams."

And then tell the poster who corrects you you're not sure what his point is!

Jose had to go but he had got us to our highest league finish in 6 years.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Is this what it's called denial?

Keep blaming Jose if it makes you all feel better and not face the reality that the team is a bunch of headless chickens running all over the field.

I will even help you a little bit more.
Moyes seasons where Jose's fault
Van gaal seasons where Jose's fault
Jose titles and 2nd place where all the players. The bad stuff where Jose's fault.
Ole wins where all the great team he created but the 15 defeats or something are all Jose's fault.
In the future, what of bad happens will always be Jose's fault.

:D

Siorac

Mate, come on, you can't make wildly inaccurate comments like this:

"When Jose took over we were close to other teams, when he was sacked we were miles behind other top teams."

And then tell the poster who corrects you you're not sure what his point is!

Jose had to go but he had got us to our highest league finish in 6 years.
But still, when he arrived, Liverpool were behind us, City had finished on the same points total. Two and a half years and over 300m spent later, both teams were vastly, vastly superior to us while Mourinho was moaning that he didn't get fecking Willian. As if that had bridged the difference.

Enigma_87

You know who
Klopp spent 370m pounds or something in his first three windows. The notion that he didn't break the world transfer record is a bit misleading.

The year he won CL and finished second he spent 160m pounds - more than Jose ever did in a single window.

Alex1982

Recent work for the Athletic has shown how meticulous Solskjaer has been in redeveloping the club.
Do you have a link for this?

I’m more interested in that than the rollercoaster game by game approach personally.

Fluctuation0161

But still, when he arrived, Liverpool were behind us, City had finished on the same points total. Two and a half years and over 300m spent later, both teams were vastly, vastly superior to us while Mourinho was moaning that he didn't get fecking Willian. As if that had bridged the difference.
Considering the fact Woodward didn't back him in his last summer window, with net spend of £55m, I'm not surprised he was unhappy with our transfer business. He also wanted Maguire then too. The squad definitely needed investment. Liverpool spent 2-3 times what we did in that Summer. And surpassed us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He did, I'm not denying that but it was also abundantly clear that we were going nowhere. It 100% looked like his second Chelsea tenure: decent first season, good start to the second and then grinding out results despite playing shite - and then a total collapse in the third. He was never going to build anything, that second place was the peak of his capabilities here. We should not have started 2018/19 with him.
We weren't going anywhere? We made tangible improvements in results back to back in seasons under Jose. After winning the Europa Cup in his first season he took us to 81 points the next with a much improved win %. In fact if we compare Ole's current win % to Jose after the same amount of games, what do we get? After 31 games if I'm not mistaken Jose had a 65% win percentage didn't he? Ole isn't close to that right now. I think there was a plan and progress for the 2/3rds of Jose's tenure. Then it fell apart in the final third of his time.

He had his style of playing and it was clear how he wanted us to operate. The problem was it didn't suit our ethos as a club at all. Sure it all fell apart in the third season since pre season and since he publically went against the board, squad etc. But his methods in getting results shouldn't really be questioned. Scoff at his outbursts all you want, the man had a total win % of what, 58% or something. And that includes the car crash of the third season, still superior to Ole.

Siorac

Klopp spent 370m pounds or something in his first three windows. The notion that he didn't break the world transfer record is a bit misleading.

The year he won CL and finished second he spent 160m pounds - more than Jose ever did in a single window.
Klopp spent €436M during Mourinho's stint here, Mourinho spent €465M. And Mourinho started with the superior squad, considering we finished ahead of Liverpool in 15/16 and 14/15 as well.

No matter how we look at it, Mourinho was a failure overall. That he did give us our best league finish means only one thing: our other post-Fergie managers were shite, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.