Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You are focussing too much on results and making wierd statements. On any other day we should have beaten palace comfortably. So I don't think hodgson or bruce or silva or eddie howe or villa manager or lampard would have done any better. Just because one doesn't rate ole doesn't mean any one under the sun would have done a better job. I myself have criticized ole but I won't make wierd statements that sacking him would make our average players look amazing.
Our players aren't average. Certainly good enough to beat Soton and Palace no matter how many excuses you make. If anyone but Ole was in charge, he'd be rightfully crucified. Hes transformed us into Cardiff City.

Enigma_87

You know who
It depends whether it’s part of a wider strategy. Whilst I agree it’s generally a good idea to get the best possible man for the job, sometimes it takes a certain tool to do a job

Let’s say we appointed Zidane or Pep tomorrow....do you think we would do significantly better? I’m not so sure. I think we would do a little bit better, maybe get to 3rd/4th....but after that they would get as frustrated, as fed up and disillusioned as LvG and Jose

As I have said elsewhere, I see Ole as a long term caretaker who will oversee this transition before making way for Poch in 36mnths time
36 months of employing clueless manager ? I mean I know our board is mentalists but not to such an extend.

Yes, I do believe if you appoint a better coach tomorrow both play and results will be better. It’s common sense.

Why don’t we get the best option we have and give that man time? Why you would give time to someone who has shown nothing that he deserves it bar some nice words?

Enigma_87

You know who
There is a complete disconnect between reality and expectation. People expect Solskjaer to pretty much challenge City and Liverpool and win every game with a team that most would expect to finish somewhere between 4th and 8th.
I can assure you those who want him out doesn’t even remotely expect us to challenge for the title.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Changing the manager isn’t going to solve our problems. Eventually the club are going to have to choose a strategy and more importantly stick to it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I can assure you those who want him out doesn’t even remotely expect us to challenge for the title.
Well since he's come in he's performed in line with our rivals for top 4.

We obviously aren't going to get near City or Liverpool, Spurs have a far better squad. So with your perfect manager where would you see us finishing?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He left because United didnt give him the impression he was important. We didnt replace him because again, we didnt think hes important. Latest rumour is that we offered him lower wages.

Whatever you want to say, we've gone in the direction that a large amount of posters on this forum seemed to want us to go in. We're also rubbish at the moment.
Any chance you could - just this once - stop trying to be a smartarse? What the hell are you on about? What direction did “a large amount of posters” want us to go in? Downwards in the league table? Or are you getting at something else?

Enigma_87

You know who
Thanks, basically this is what came to my mind from Fergie's autobiography.

We're in an era of fickle, instant gratification supporters.

Ole didn't create our problems the last 6 years, so why he is being hounded and folks calling for his head is absolutely mind boggling.
Mate, Cardiff supporters wanted him out for similar timeframe and they were relegated and in fecking Championship.

Are you serious that United supporters shouldn’t want better than 3 wins out of 16 games?

So far he is the worst appointment as a permanent manager in our entire history 19% win rate since made permanent.

You are telling me we live in an era that United should accept such form from any manager?

Enigma_87

You know who
Well since he's come in he's performed in line with our rivals for top 4.
Since he has made permanent he has performed at relegation level.

There is much more proof of us going downhill and in line with our last 16 games form rather than him turning it around.

He literally has no history in being able to turn it around and he has a paper thin squad expecting to play a high intense game.

redshaw

I'd rather we look at his run this season with 10-15 games in. Last season was quite bizarre with the best new manager run ever and our worst runs since the 60s. Poch has had a similar run in the league.

Worrying is how lightweight our squad is, with Herrera gone and Lukaku who had 42 goals in 96 and 28 on 66 league games, we really needed to replace these. The players Ole is trusting just aren't doing it and haven't done in the past.

Lentwood

36 months of employing clueless manager ? I mean I know our board is mentalists but not to such an extend.

Yes, I do believe if you appoint a better coach tomorrow both play and results will be better. It’s common sense.

Why don’t we get the best option we have and give that man time? Why you would give time to someone who has shown nothing that he deserves it bar some nice words?
We had the best possible manager in Jose. He spent loads of money, finished second, got frustrated, pissed everybody off and left us in mid-table with barely one salvageable signing

We have to appreciate where we are as a club. Liverpool and City are not where they are now just because of Klopp and Pep. They are where they are because they got the structure and the recruitment right and THEN added the final touch, a top class manager

Dan_F

This is astonishing. So Ole has not been given the signings he needed to beat Crystal Palace at Old Trafford or ten man Southampton at St Mary's. So how much do you think we need to beat those two then? An extra £200m perhaps? Yes United need investment in the same way as every side in the division would bite their chairman's arm offer if offered the opportunity to bring in new players to enhance their side. But let's not kid ourselves on here if we cannot beat Palace at home and a ten man Saints team away, investment in players is not the problem.
I haven’t said anywhere that I didn’t think we should beat those two teams. But I have said repeatedly that we only need to lose a couple more of our best players to be mid table, because we’re so short of genuine quality. Where as there’s a lot of people who seem to really be pushing the myth about us just needing players who run around a lot.

Not sure why you assumed that just because I think the quality of the squad is shit, Im automatically defending his tactics (I’m not, I don’t rate them either).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
How come Brendan Rodgers didnt need an entire new XI to implement his style and make Leicester relatively competitive? He lost one of his best players and they sit ahead of us in the table. This team finished 2nd two seasons ago, it wasnt just a fluke.

el3mel

Ole isn’t a top class manager, that’s for sure. Jose and LvG are/where though and they didn’t do much better
Nope. They did. They weren't big success but they did better than Ole so far that is I'm sure about. At least both looked like they have a clue of how they are going to build their teams.

Omahahaha

We had the best possible manager in Jose. He spent loads of money, finished second, got frustrated, pissed everybody off and left us in mid-table with barely one salvageable signing

We have to appreciate where we are as a club. Liverpool and City are not where they are now just because of Klopp and Pep. They are where they are because they got the structure and the recruitment right and THEN added the final touch, a top class manager
So since the good manager did not work out, you want to give time to a worse manager? Makes zero sense.
And Mourinho actually finished 2nd, and won stuff.

TrueRed79

Polish commentator today mentioned that prior to today's game, ever since becoming a perm with us Ole averages about 1 point per game.

Think that's relegation tier results.
It's simply not acceptable. If posters in here accept that because "we are four games in" then they need their heads examined. It's not going to work out no matter what because he's not up to it. It's not totally his fault because he was appointed by a bunch of idiots that run our club. They really are inept morons. Why oh why didn't they wait till the season ended i'll never know.

Leftback99

Since he has made permanent he has performed at relegation level.

There is much more proof of us going downhill and in line with our last 16 games form rather than him turning it around.

He literally has no history in being able to turn it around and he has a paper thin squad expecting to play a high intense game.
Why are you intentionally using the meaningless 'since he has been made permanent' to suit your agenda?

Underlying statistics (expected goals etc), which obviously you'll want to ignore show that we've been one of the best performing sides in the league over the last 4 games. Scoring a couple of penalties, De Gea saving a simple shot or Lindelof winning a header completely changes the picture of your agenda.

Enigma_87

You know who

Liverpool were mocked around before Klopp and we’re underperforming severely just like we are at the moment. City changed a number of managers until they struck gold with Pep.

Both teams are where they are now because they employed world class managers and they did their job.

In both your examples it was the manager that brought those clubs forward. If it wasn’t for Klopp and Liverpool hiring Gerrard where would they be now?

We’re on the same side mate. Mourning I not being successful here doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look for the next Klopp or Pep and it has been clear from the very beginning that Ole is not the one. You have to try and look forward and get the best man possible for the job. Or at least the clubs with ambition will do.

There’s absolutely no point in going with Ole. Has he not proven so far that he’s pretty much a nothing coach? He can’t make us take basic set pieces let alone have the young players grow with him and develop as they should. Can you give me one example of a player that has significantly improved hi his game under him for 9 months? Just one?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I don’t think that’s true at all. Liverpool fans were constantly moaning about their owners until Klopp turned things round. We even heard loads of complaints about how their stupid transfer committee was making Klopp’s life impossible during his first season in charge. Then they start winning games and everything behind the scenes is perceived as a well oiled machine. The same thing would happen at United if/when we start winning a lot of matches.

AshRK

Seriously? I was one of the first that had a go at Woodward from as soon as our first window?

I never said it was not his fault. He is the one who appointed Ole in the first place. He is the one that should take almost all the blame since Fergie retired.

But we can’t sack him can we?

Do I believe we can play better under a better coach - yes.

Woodward being the main culprit doesn’t mean we should keep a nobody in the job that drives us further into mediocrity do you agree?

If you ask me I’d have Woodward axed even before Ole - yes.
Fair enough. Just that I don't trust this board to make the right decision. We might slightly improve with a more qualified manager but issue will still remain the same. We have far too many average players who lack basic skillset.

I don't think the board will sack ole, just cannot see it happening this soon.

Leftback99

How come Brendan Rodgers didnt need an entire new XI to implement his style and make Leicester relatively competitive? He lost one of his best players and they sit ahead of us in the table. This team finished 2nd two seasons ago, it wasnt just a fluke.
I believe i've got posts on here pre Solskjaer (and Rodgers) saying Leicester have a better first XI than us, so no surprise to me.

Alabaster Codify7

Gone by Christmas. We'll be lucky to get 5-6 points from our next 4 games. Writing is on the wall if you choose to see it. Ole is not a top level manager and never will be - his level was winning the Norwegian title. He cannot adapt during games, and to be fair, he doesnt have the personnel to adapt either. That's on the board. What's on Ole is the fact he grins and mugs his way through this mediocre mixer and claims all is well, because to him, all is well. He doesn't have the experience of glory or good times.

AshRK

Any chance you could - just this once - stop trying to be a smartarse? What the hell are you on about? What direction did “a large amount of posters” want us to go in? Downwards in the league table? Or are you getting at something else?
He is upset because ole sold smalling.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That was the other poster making that point, I assume. You just said it was historically inaccurate and I pointed out it (largely) wasn’t.
The other poster said he start building slowly from the back, you that he just built the attack. Historically and in reality nothing of that happened.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why are you intentionally using the meaningless 'since he has been made permanent' to suit your agenda?

Underlying statistics (expected goals etc), which obviously you'll want to ignore show that we've been one of the best performing sides in the league over the last 4 games. Scoring a couple of penalties, De Gea saving a simple shot or Lindelof winning a header completely changes the picture of your agenda.
It’s not meaningless mate. Any manager with 3 wins out of the last 16 will be out of a job at a big club.

Statistics made Schneidelin look like a world beater when we brought him. Statistics might have show us getting 9 points in our last 3 games yet we got 2 and stats didn’t help us there.

Ekeke

There is a complete disconnect between reality and expectation. People expect Solskjaer to pretty much challenge City and Liverpool and win every game with a team that most would expect to finish somewhere between 4th and 8th.
Expectations come with signing players for huge £80 million fees. I dont think anyone is expecting us to be with Liverpool and City, but we're currently 7th with teams having a game in hand over us. Thats worse than last year. Thats obviously not good enough

witchtrials

Yeah, I don't understand why it makes any sense to generate stats that filter out his results when he was first managing us purely on the basis of his contract situation.

Devil81

Any manager in charge would struggle to get goals out of this team.

We haven't got an out and out striker.

Tango80

I've not even looked at the league table since the seasons kicked off, and as long as we aren't in the relegation zone, then I doubt really care tbh.

We're not going to do anything this year so league position didn't really matter that much, it's more about building a likeable team this year with the right personnel. Biggest thing I want to see this season though to sort scouting/tech director side out, then we can look at spending that Lukaku money.

Leftback99

It’s not meaningless mate. Any manager with 3 wins out of the last 16 will be out of a job at a big club.

Statistics made Schneidelin look like a world beater when we brought him. Statistics might have show us getting 9 points in our last 3 games yet we got 2 and stats didn’t help us there.
I knew you would dismiss them due to not understanding them. It's just coincidence City and Liverpool come out massively above everyone else on the same statistics last season i suppose.

Poch is on a similar record at the moment. He should be sacked too.

Kemizee

Ole is a symptom of the bigger issue; This club now has zero ambition. The facts are Mourinho wasn’t backed two summers ago, we hired a replacement management team that wouldn’t look out of place in the championship, we’ve got rid of our high earners, we haven’t replaced those high earners and our net spend has been low the last few years for an underachieving club with our resources.

If the club had ambition we would have paid the 30m to get Pochetino and given him whatever he needed to fix this club. We didn’t do that because there’s no will to spend what’s required to do that. Sacking Ole now isn’t going to achieve anything, the problem is much deeper. We will continue on this downward spiral until the owners and their incompetent puppet Woodward leave.
Poch or any other top manager. This post nails it. The club lack serious ambitions. How anyone can't see it is beyond me. Granted Ole may not be good enough but what have our parsimonious owners done to actually dispell all doubts that they want us to return to the number 1 position in the country never mind Europe.

Leftback99

Expectations come with signing players for huge £80 million fees. I dont think anyone is expecting us to be with Liverpool and City, but we're currently 7th with teams having a game in hand over us. Thats worse than last year. Thats obviously not good enough
We also sold an £80m striker so expectations shouldn't change on that equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.