Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMidfielders

Really cannot believe he's said that 6 out of 7 performances have been good this season. There's being positive and then there's being deluded and ignoring the issues infront of you. There's much more to good man management than just allowing the players to play like shit and remaining positive.

In Rainbows

Oh look, Klopp managed to instill his ideas right away even if the results weren't great. And Klopp never changed those fundamentals in his style. He's tweaked it to become slightly more pragmatic, but never has he switched it like Ole did once we got the injuries. Ole has tried going full Mourinho style, but like Mourinho can't get his side to break down a more defensive side.

Video from 2015, just after he was hired. No idea why there was music in this upload by the uploader.

Oh look, Pep getting criticism for not changing in his first season. In other words, despite not getting the desired results, he still never wavered in his tactics.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Oh look, Klopp managed to instill his ideas right away even if the results weren't great. And Klopp never changed those fundamentals in his style. He's tweaked it to become slightly more pragmatic, but never has he switched it like Ole did once we got the injuries. Ole has tried going full Mourinho style, but like Mourinho can't get his side to break down a more defensive side.

Video from 2015, just after he was hired. No idea why there was music in this upload by the uploader.
Doesn’t work in UK apparently. What’s the gist of it?

In Rainbows

Doesn’t work in UK apparently. What’s the gist of it?
Klopp had made Liverpool's pressing much better. First they went from being middle of the road in distance covered, to now 1st in that single match being assessed. Second, the line of 3 players at the front are pressing together as usual, but what Klopp did is have the players further away (players behind those leading 3, and player further away) press into the space to make it even more suffocating for the other team. The point was that Klopp had his style, and didn't waver in his style.

The excuses being branded about right now is that Ole doesn't have the right players to do what he wants and thus needs more transfer windows in order to truly try out his tactics. The excuse last season was that injuries kept Ole from trying his true tactics that worked earlier in his tenure, and thus needed a full preseason to get the side fully doing his tactics. Nevermind the fact that if that truly was the case, why didn't he try moving back to his original tactics given that we were clearly in relegation mode with his new defensive tactics?

mancave bear

His tactics are absolutely baffling,particularly the stuff you mentioned above.

I am seriously worried about his ability to attract decent players to the club too.

Can we trust him to sign the creative midfielder,DM,RW and striker we so desperately need.
Ole have just signed 3 players, and every supporter think they are great signings. 2 of them are among the best in the premier league. And you are worring about Ole's "ability to attract decent players" ?

Are you ironic or just something else? : )

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddy_JukeZ

I did say McKenna wasn’t the hero everyone was portraying him to be last year when CAF proclaimed he’d bring attacking football. He’s just a decent youth coach and that’s about it. That doesn’t mean it’s going to work at the higher level.

Then you have Mike Phelan and Carrick who don’t really inspire anyone with confidence.
Phelan hopefully after this never gets a role/job at the club again.

Why some were so happy we brought him back is a mystery to me.

We started looking much worse once he took over from Quieroz back in the day.

romufc

@romufc

Sorry but this was really funny

September 4th - post Soton

September 23rd - Post West Ham

Wednesday - Post Rochdale

:lol:
Brilliant mate. I see you've changed your tune since then and yet still being obnoxious about it.

My favourite bit is me criticising our style of play and the story of our matches , only for you to condescendingly ask me if I’ve actually watched any united games and then a month later proceeding to say exactly what I said a month ago about our style of play and story of our matches....

It is funny, but if you actually go through some of the posts V West Ham I did mention that was the change where we showed no desire.

Also, Vs West Ham and Rochdale we didn't create as much as we did against the other teams.

I am allowed to change opinions? I agree I might have got it wrong with Ole's style. I had some hope after the first few games and that we will click. But it is clear, even after yesterday's result that we lack that creativity and playing Lingard in the 10 role is not working.

I did not realise I am not allowed a change of opinion, but shows how much I got to you for spending half your even looking for my posts ;)

Mainoldo

Or maybe, just maybe they realize the club is in a massive rebuild and needs time before we can challenge again. Neither of those three sugarcoat things when it comes to Man Utd, and if they had to chose between Ole or the club we all know they would chose the club.

Also, say Ole get sacked tomorrow, who do we realistically replace him with?
It’s always a massive rebuild when you have to do the top red thing and support your manager!!! It’s a joke...

Massive rebuild my arse.

Foxbatt

I am getting sick of this pressing business. Is that all there is to football?
What's important is what we do when we have the ball. Ole doesn't seem to have a clue as what to do when we have the ball. We can't even seem to get one corner kick right. For that alone the whole coaching staff should be sacked.

Mainoldo

Ole have just signed 3 players, and every supporter think they are great signings. 2 of them are among the best in the premier league. And you are worring about Ole's "ability to attract decent players" ?

Are you ironic or just something else? : )
You would think James and Maguire are playing like Salah and VVD.

This great transfers crap is another over hyped joke! It’s a joke.. the signings quality wise have been bang average.

Eric7C

What's important is what we do when we have the ball. Ole doesn't seem to have a clue as what to do when we have the ball. We can't even seem to get one corner kick right. For that alone the whole coaching staff should be sacked.
What are you saying? The plan is to float one in to Maguire at the far post who will head it in the middle and then somebody will smash it in. It will work. One day.

Fluctuation0161

Oh look, Pep getting criticism for not changing in his first season. In other words, despite not getting the desired results, he still never wavered in his tactics.
What's your point?

In Rainbows

What's your point?
You only have to scroll up to find it. There are no excuses for changing his tactics from the first month he was in charge of United.

Coordinated pressing helps you dominate games or can help you create more dangerous chances because you're getting the ball closer to goal with a disorganized and smaller defense.

TRUERED89

Why can't he try Pogba on the left, Matic - Fred - McT in the middle, James on the right and striker upfront. It's clear that Pereira and Jlingz are offering next to feckall offensively, so might as play to Pogba's strengths and shore up the middle of the park with three bruising if unspectacular midfielders.
Just play Pogba CAM, or in a midfield 3. That's how Ole went on that great run at the start of his United reign. He's totally reverted away from that now, its very strange. Perhaps the loss of Herrera has made him feel like we'll get battered in the CM/CDM area if Pogba isn't further back. He's being wasted at CDM though and loses the ball too much is dangerous places in our own half.

TsuWave

Of course it wpuld. We would get someone in who'll coach our side better and evaluate what we need going forward in a system that makes sense.
It’s maddening when you read those nonsensical “sacking him wouldn’t help” takes.

Kurton

Before Ole, all our current coaching staff must go. They've proved under two managers now that they don't know how to coach a team in a modern style of play.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Klopp had made Liverpool's pressing much better. First they went from being middle of the road in distance covered, to now 1st in that single match being assessed. Second, the line of 3 players at the front are pressing together as usual, but what Klopp did is have the players further away (players behind those leading 3, and player further away) press into the space to make it even more suffocating for the other team. The point was that Klopp had his style, and didn't waver in his style.

The excuses being branded about right now is that Ole doesn't have the right players to do what he wants and thus needs more transfer windows in order to truly try out his tactics. The excuse last season was that injuries kept Ole from trying his true tactics that worked earlier in his tenure, and thus needed a full preseason to get the side fully doing his tactics. Nevermind the fact that if that truly was the case, why didn't he try moving back to his original tactics given that we were clearly in relegation mode with his new defensive tactics?
Cheers.

I don't really have much to say on Ole's tactics right now, as the team has been chopped and changed constantly due to injuries. There are a few parts where I think I see it, then we just go back to stationary mode when someone like Pogba moves into space. I don't know how many times James got by his man and hit a ball into the 6 yard area, only to see all the attackers static towards the edge of the box. I can't imagine Ole told them to do that. There's no risk taking with runs, passes or take ons. Pereira did it once and got us our first shot on target. I don't think he did it again for the rest of the game. We're devoid of quality, going forward, but Ole doesn't appear to be getting the message across either. I can only hope Tony's form comes back right away, as we actually look threatening with him. Other than that, I don't hold much hope for any of the players I've seen in our attack. Pereira - mediocre, Lingard - why, Mata - past it, Rashford - form is in a ravine. Leaves us relying on a 17 year old (now 18 I believe) to come up with anything to help us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Cheers.

I don't really have much to say on Ole's tactics right now, as the team has been chopped and changed constantly due to injuries. There are a few parts where I think I see it, then we just go back to stationary mode when someone like Pogba moves into space. I don't know how many times James got by his man and hit a ball into the 6 yard area, only to see all the attackers static towards the edge of the box. I can't imagine Ole told them to do that. There's no risk taking with runs, passes or take ons. Pereira did it once and got us our first shot on target. I don't think he did it again for the rest of the game. We're devoid of quality, going forward, but Ole doesn't appear to be getting the message across either. I can only hope Tony's form comes back right away, as we actually look threatening with him. Other than that, I don't hold much hope for any of the players I've seen in our attack. Pereira - mediocre, Lingard - why, Mata - past it, Rashford - form is in a ravine. Leaves us relying on a 17 year old (now 18 I believe) to come up with anything to help us.
RVN would have loved James. Why doesn't somebody anticipate where the ball is going? That is the sign of a good striker.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
RVN would have loved James. Why doesn't somebody anticipate where the ball is going? That is the sign of a good striker.
I'm pretty sure I might have had the same conversation with you last year! Glenn fecking Murray would get more goals that our strikers, with James in the side.

R'hllor

Its nothing there to see really, on the pitch i mean, good or bad results, its reflection of the club as whole, an empty shell.

Dr. StrangeHate

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has “no respect” for United fans. So says a bloke that is in all likelihood punching the walls from inside a basement in either the States or South East Asia.
What is them being in Asia or US got to do with anything?

Alabaster Codify7

This. I really don't understand why they're afraid of letting go the DNA shite thingy. It's okay to promote youth but not all the youth are be able to play in this level. Look Pereira,Lingard etc. Liverpool also have glorified history but they trust Klopp (foreign manager ) without any attached to the club.

My take on it is because it currently, is all we have to cling to. Both in a football sense and, more importantly for our board, a marketing and publicity sense.

We haven't challenged for the title since SAF left in 2013. In those six years, we have only finished in the top 4 a couple of times and have not won a major trophy in that time either. It's becoming difficult for our board to keep plugging this football club as being a huge club to the general public and to the sponsors. We are not seeming like one, on or off the field.

United DNA is something a little different that's associated with our club that most other club's don't have. It's something the board can use as buzzwords to suggest we know what we're doing and we're doing things 'our way'. This seems to take precedent now over whether it harms us on the pitch.

On topic - last night wasnt one of Ole's worst games to be honest. A couple of poor decisions in the starting 11, the same general performance from most players, not the worst result in the world. But in context, that Arsenal side was as terrible as we were and a better team would have won that game. Simple as that. Ole's plan of action is simply 'get the ball long to Rashy and James' and that is basically ALL. Nothing else.

The biggest disappointment for me is that we looked more entertaining because Arsenal tried to attack at times. We've got Alkmaar and Newcastle as our next two games, away from home. That has 180mins of boredom written all over it, so back to being bored to tears until Liverpool destroy us at OT. So it's hard to take much enjoyment from last night for me, I'm afraid.

DomesticTadpole

Its nothing there to see really, on the pitch i mean, good or bad results, its reflection of the club as whole, an empty shell.
I now get why people say we are like Milan. A great club with a great history, used to be dominant force in their league, winning trophies, playing in an iconic stadium. Now everything is just rotten from the inside out. We are the shabby chic of the football world.

Mainoldo

My nightmare was us turning into Milan when Fergie left, and to be honest thats what we are now. The rot will only further unless we take serious action.
Well we keep copying what they are doing so I don’t see it getting better. Ole might last 2 season like Gattuso shouting at players for not being the same level as his United.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I now get why people say we are like Milan. A great club with a great history, used to be dominant force in their league, winning trophies, playing in an iconic stadium. Now everything is just rotten from the inside out. We are the shabby chic of the football world.
A.C. Milan haven't won a trophy since 2011 and in europe their last win was in 2005. United have won 3 trophies(League Cup, Fa Cup and the Europa League) since Fergie left.

Yes things haven't been great lately but we haven't turned into Milan.

Phil Osophy

Lot of mixed feelings right now. The first one being disappointment yesterday with Ole, my biggest one until now after seeing us playing such a conservative game at home against a vulnerable Arsenal, the team conceding more chances in the league (and one of the most in Europe), allowing them to have a presence in the game and giving them wings on the second half by getting even deeper than before.

To keep insisting on Lingard as a starter, someone who shouldn't even be part of the squad, the double pivot with Pogba being tied at the back, the reluctance to start Greenwood in a league game when we have nothing up front and he's got the ability to score goals (our biggest problem for me), it's difficult to understand.

I'm not a big fan of Fred but he's been energetic this season, he's got decent technique and played his part to keep us on the surface against Leicester in the last 20 minutes or so. If you want to play 4-2-3-1 for some reason, play with Fred and McTominay and move Pogba forward to use his talent and creativity near the box where we're missing it. I don't have a problem with Pogba being a ghost if he gets 3 or 4 balls in dangerous positions to make the difference, something that Lingard, Mata or Pereira are incapable of doing.

Yesterday I saw that Rashford has scored one goal from open play in the last 18 games, Lingard hasn't scored in the league since December, Pereira like 20 games without scoring, and so on. For me it's obvious that we're bottling it in the opposition box more than anywhere else, but if you keep starting all the bottlers at the same time while leaving Pogba away from the box, Greenwood on the bench, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I have time for Solskjaer but he needs to help himself with the line ups, take back some of the "let's go" spirit he brought initially and leave the current excess of calculation aside. And more importantly, recognize the lack of maturity and mental strength in a squad where the only proper captain is someone who came this summer, something that explains many things and situations that happen on the field regularly.

For me this January should be about adding some experience and leadership to release the pressure from certain shoulders and elevate the composure of the team. Even if it's 2 or 3 loanees in the mould of the classic Henrik Larsson, or Edgar Davids when he went on loan to Barcelona and changed the face of that team under Rijkaard, but something needs to be done.

This team needs creativity and goals as Solskjaer said, but without experience, characters and clear references out there those potential signings (and I'm thinking about the likes of Maddison, McGinn, David Brooks, Longstaff and that profile) will be at risk of being pushed down by the collective anxiety and lack of determination in the team.

I think there's a little spark of hope for Ole to turn this around, when I see us being one of the teams conceding less chances and goals in the league. For all their faults, almost every player is giving 100 % on the field, they're playing for the manager and adding an extra mile of work to try to make us solid. If they can keep that attitude and hard work, some players step up to score goals (if they're allowed to) and we hit some good form at any point, I can see us improving the general displays as a consequence and fighting for top 4 and the Europa, with a pair of accurate additions in January.

It's not like Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or even Leicester are flawless and invincible, and I expect them to drop points regularly too. I'm not really expecting much from us at the moment and lots of 'ifs' need to happen, but we know football can change dramatically and heroes can become villains (and the opposite) in a matter of weeks, so I'll leave the door open to be surprised in a positive way.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

A.C. Milan haven't won a trophy since 2011 and in europe their last win was in 2005. United have won 3 trophies(League Cup, Fa Cup and the Europa League) since Fergie left.

Yes things haven't been great lately but we haven't turned into Milan.
If we don't nip it in the bud there is a great possibility. It could be we are going into a slump, it has happened before with just the odd F.A. Cup win. People saying it could be 3 years until a challenge, could be right, but if we do not deal with our problems properly it could be a lot longer than that. The big problem we have is the club not being run properly as a football club, rather than a money making enterprise for the owners. Football has to be the priority and the rest will follow.

Renegade

Yes things haven't been great lately but we haven't turned into Milan.[/QUOTE

?
How much have they spent during that time

Fluctuation0161

You only have to scroll up to find it. There are no excuses for changing his tactics from the first month he was in charge of United.

Coordinated pressing helps you dominate games or can help you create more dangerous chances because you're getting the ball closer to goal with a disorganized and smaller defense.
Although I do think Ole is out of his depth, he has been given zero chance of making it work with the lack of transfers. Net spend of £65M is not backing the manager.

Also, I think adapting tactics over time based on the quality of the players and squad is absolutely necessary. If we try to play swashbuckling attacking football with our current line up we will get annihilated.

efugelso

A lot of negativity lately, understandable of course but I just feel that people could consider the circumstances a bit more.

First of all, it is totally fine to lack faith in Ole as his pedigree as a manager is not comparable to what you would expect for someone in charge of a club like United. Not only has the results been bad, but the progress of play has been lacking as well. But the squad is a mess to be honest, not helped by the amount of injuries on top of it. This is what you get for changing managers all the time, AND a lack of plan from the people on top (looking at you, Ed). The idea that Ole was happy with the squad after Lukaku and Sanchez were sold seems bizarre IMO. Our signings over the last years, compared to other clubs, is a big reason for why the squad is what it is. James, Maguire and AWB all look like good signings (3/3 you could say), and can be considered as progress in that regard. If Ole has identified a player like Sancho that I'm all for waiting a year instead of getting a stop gap. Getting players that are not eager to join United is not the way to go. On the other hand, I don't get the point of having an enormous scouting departement if you're only able to identify players AFTER they are in demand and expensive...

But you have to work with what you got. Lack of coaching, tactics etc has been mentioned as well. People are comparing Ole to the likes of Pep and Klopp. City had a set up in advance (Txiki, Soriano), and has backed Pep significantly on top of having a superior squad in the first place. Klopp on the other hand, has made Liverpool one of the best clubs in Europe, despite having a lot of players that on paper would not make it on anyone's dream team. But they are so strong because they function so well as a TEAM, and in a system that suits them. While you could use this to compare the difference in quality between Ole and Klopp (and I'm not saying that there isn't), Klopp placed 8th, 4th and 4th in his first seasons. He was given TIME. Only when they got VVD and Allison did they really kick on. As Carragher pointed out the other day, a couple of signings up top could change things dramatically.

And I get that the results is not the only concern, as the progress in play has been lacking as well. But do bear in mind that the squad is thin and unbalanced (not Ole's fault) and we've had injuries on top of it. He's playing youth, he has gotten rid of some players that were considered deadwood by many and 3/3 signings look like good purchases so far.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
If we don't nip it in the bud there is a great possibility. It could be we are going into a slump, it has happened before with just the odd F.A. Cup win. People saying it could be 3 years until a challenge, could be right, but if we do not deal with our problems properly it could be a lot longer than that.
Potentially being AC Milan is different than well being the current AC Milan team.

I agree to certain point as just on paper this is one of the worst United teams I've seen but nip what in the bud ? Fixing being generally shite isn't easy or simple. It took Ajax FOUR years(Which included losing to a rubbish United team in a final) to a produce great team that won a league title(In whats basically a yearly two horse race). At this stage fans seem to be raging and saying - ''Get Good'', which means very little.

Its odd to say this as its soo clear but Ole isn't Mou, Pep, Klopp or basically any highly rated manager and as I've said this United team is hardly a good one. So treating Ole time here similar to say Mou and calling for the sack seem pointless(Unless people actively want to feel miserable, which is where lot of the ''criticism comes'' from in my view). Ole got to have time because if not what was the point of hiring him ?

The big problem we have is the club not being run properly as a football club, rather than a money making enterprise for the owners. Football has to be the priority and the rest will follow.
Agree but welcome to capitalism. Plus United fans haven't been calling for fan ownership but instead for a rich prince to come in and play fifa.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They are not impossible, many sites provide lot of in-depth stats for free. I’ll message few people who deal with this stuff to see if they can be obtained and then get back to you.
Thanks mate!

Kag

Who pushed the one reliable goalscorer he had to Inter Milan?
Solskjaer did. Because Lukaku was a fat oaf that didn’t have the mentality to play for a club like Manchester United.

He was never the answer, whether we replaced him or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.