Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Surely keeping a job isn't more important to him than his stature at the club? I don't understand why he's still blowing smoke up people's asses with this Be patient, it's going to happen bullshit. He's clearly out of his depth and he should resign with a generous settlement for his troubles of relocating from Norway to Manchester for a year.

Enigma_87

You know who
Side questions:
Would we have won today if we had Bruce and Newcastle had Ole?

Would Bruce be a better manager for us than Ole?

I would say no. Of course I’m not saying anyone thinks we should hire Bruce but if it’s not about the players then it’s about the managers - both of them.

Ole should probably have got more points than he has over the last 20 games. But on a game by game basis it is not clear that another manager could have done better given the quality of the players we have on the pitch.

Many overrate our players - when you consider how rarely any of them have actually played well (and that’s over a very long period for most of them) and yet people still assume Poch (or another) would get them playing much better - this seems doubtful.

I suppose our players, even today, were better than Newcastle’s. So some credit to Bruce? If we had a different manager - say Bruce - he might get us a few more points than Ole by adopting strategies that embrace the weaknesses of our players. Would that be preferable? Maybe. But would that approach be compatible with the sort of long term development that we need?

Any manager taking on our players and setting them up as if they are any good will suffer the same disappointments we are getting now.
It's pretty much clear that any manager currently in the Premier league will have been doing better since he was made permanent.

Bruce will be having better results, just if you lean on experience and setting up his sides in some of the games.

You seriously overrate our manager if you consider him remotely PL level. If he had the Newcastle team he would be dead bottom right now.

Ever since he won the title in a tin pot league he was glaringly found out at Cardiff, had some 5/6th finishes in Norway(same tin pot league) and is soon to become officially the worst manager we hired - ever.

You can get on the players back if we can't make top 4 - making a case of them not being good enough - but relegation battle you are having a laugh trying to excuse that.

efugelso

OGS got three players in for a net spend around 70, with Fellaini, Sanchez, Lukaku, Herrera and Smalling all leaving the club. Think what you want about Gary Neville, but he's right on that part. On top of that, we've lost Pogba, Shaw, Martial and AWB due to injuries.

People can blame OGS for not getting players in. But this team is where it is mostly because it has failed in recruitment for many years now, and before OGS came in. Even Aston Villa had a higher net spend than us this summer! It's totally fine not having faith in Ole and wanting him gone, but those who think another manager would get top 4 with this squad is dreaming.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's lazy thinking to place the blame squarely on Ole's shoulders for the dreadful situation we find ourselves in right now. The club was in crisis long before he took the job on a permanent basis. It's been on a relentless downward spiral since SAF retired and David Gill moved on (two figureheads who were instrumental to our success during that period) only to be replaced by the infinitely inferior David Moyes and Ed Woodward. The latter being the main culprit here, a trio of failed managerial appointments and transfer expenditure in the region of £800 million resulting in some of the worst transfers in the clubs history, many of whom remain at the club to this day.

Woodward, and by extension the Glazers seeing as it was them who appointed him, is equally at fault as Ole. If not more so. Sacking Ole will achieve nothing if Woodward remains CEO. He has to go along with Ole. In fact, a restructuring of the clubs backroom staff from the chairman through to the tea lady is necessary at this point. Sack the lot, including a large portion of those primadonnas masquerading as professional footballers for gross under-performance, and begin anew.

Trophy Room

I said before the season started that I thought this will probably be one of our most difficult seasons of all time. No club is too big to get relegated and if the stars align it can even happen to us. I know some may think it ridiculous to even suggest it but it is an entirely conceivable situation in my opinion. Why? We can't score goals, we are not even creating any chances and we are leaking goals at the back.

I feel for Ole, he has been put in this situation by extremely poor planning at the highest levels but he is just not going to succeed at United however delusional he may sound in his interviews. We are truly stuck. What a sad state of affairs.

OrcaFat

I really don't understand why some people are excusing Ole by saying that the squad is poor? Of course it's poor but he made it poor by not buying players who are better than what we have.
Does Ole think Messi and Ronaldo are going to come to United to play for him?
I really don't understand his mentality. Any player who is better than what he has would have been better but again if he is a terrible coach which he is proving now, it doesn't matter.
Fat Sam would have this same team beating teams which we have not beaten under Ole.
Please go and save your reputation.
Then doesn’t it follow that every manager is responsible for his squad not being better than it is? Therefore no manager can be excused because of a poor squad and all managers should be doing better than they are.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
For fecks sake, board should just end this misery, this international break is a perfect chance for it, and bring in someone capable of actually coaching and playing football. Even top four isn't unreachable, but also relegation isn't impossible with this excuse of a manager.

People are seriously deluded if they think manager can do no wonders for the team.

Duncan the Great

What on earth was Ole doing putting David out to do an after match interview ? It was an absolute embarrassment, what was the poor guy suppose to say ?
Sadly it is another example of Ole being completely out of his depth, I honestly cannot envisage any other PL manager making the same decision and there are one or two very inexperienced guys among them. Little wonder the performances are so poor. Watched Harrogate Tn. against Emsfleet on BTTV yesterday and both those two sides would beat our lot no problem, fast, energetic, crisp accurate passing very much like the Utd of old, I was thinking of sending a recording to Ole.

Walters_19_MuFc

Football's such a funny game. Although our football has been far from amazing, on another day, Ole could have been celebrating 6 points this week.

McTominay scores against Arsenal to make it 2-0, then the games most likely over.

Maguire scores that header then we probably go on to score a goal or two more.

Fine margins, but because we're not great going forward, we're relying on 1 or 2 chances a game.

Moiraine

Just for a moment, the title of this thread appeared as "Ole Gunnar Solskaer Sacked"

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Football's such a funny game. Although our football has been far from amazing, on another day, Ole could have been celebrating 6 points this week.

McTominay scores against Arsenal to make it 2-0, then the games most likely over.

Fine margins, but because we're not great going forward, we're relying on 1 or 2 chances a game.
That’s the big problem.

The better teams make 5-10 goal scoring chances a game. We’re lucky to make 3 at best. The players have to score every chance which isn’t possible.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo

And that's probably what every fan everywhere in the world could say. We also could have somehow lost Chelsea game we won 4:0.

Wolff

Fecking ludicrous laying this on the manager. Same suspects slowing play down. Not playing into pockets. Taking two or three touches getting control of the ball. Not able to make a pass, and when a pass is made it is a coward one sideways. Even more ludicrous thinking DDG having a go at management.
Some players need to step up alright.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
That’s the big problem.

The better teams make 5-10 goal scoring chances a game. We’re lucky to make 3 at best. The players have to score every chance which isn’t possible.
To be fair, Wolves pretty much do just that! No saying it’s the norm but it does happen.

El Zoido

Football managing is baffling isn’t it. You’d think these players could go out without any manager at all and do better than this. I can’t understand how we can be this bad.

Moiraine

Yup. Absolutely clueless and tactically inept but not an idiot.
How the **** he won 10 or 12 straight games when he began ?

What the fcuk has gone wrong, I am just baffled. This has to be players, they need to look at themselves. Even when Rashford or Pogba are in the team, they are clearly underperforming.

Moiraine

Fecking ludicrous laying this on the manager. Same suspects slowing play down. Not playing into pockets. Taking two or three touches getting control of the ball. Not able to make a pass, and when a pass is made it is a coward one sideways. Even more ludicrous thinking DDG having a go at management.
Step up ?

Some players need to be kicked out. Lingard, Rashford, Young, Mata, Matic. They are just not United players.

Enigma_87

You know who

What the fcuk has gone wrong, I am just baffled. This has to be players, they need to look at themselves. Even when Rashford or Pogba are in the team, they are clearly underperforming.
The new manager bounce and no negative atmosphere.

Enigma_87

You know who
Want him to see out the season just to read those amusing excuses day after day. :lol:

He chose the formation, he chose the usual suspects that slow the play down, he is the one teaching them moves and patterns of play, but of course it's not his fault we have not won away since like 8-9 months. :lol:

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24

Matty Longstaff first half shot goes 2 inches lower, we go 1-0 down before we’ve even had a shot on target, long before the Maguire header. Fine margins.

Enigma_87

You know who
It confuses even more.
Well not really.

We were battered by Spurs when we beat them 1-0. We won some tight games and players believed in themselves. The confidence rode high - which is also very important.

Infra-red

He's taken on that haunted, deer in the headlights appearance that Moyes displayed in the latter part of his time here. Looks to have aged about 20 years, too. He must be starting to think that the game is up.

Enigma_87

You know who

We could've been 2 down even before Maguire header went wide.

naruto

its scary how bad the situation on the football field is. Solskjaer is out of his depth he ran out of ideas this only going get worse after the international break we got tough game. I never seen it this bad even under the previous managers we did not play well but you could see flash of individual brilliance, even that has gone. I fear for us at the moment

jem

He’s talking absolute shite saying Rashford is running and running. I mean WTF is he on about?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Obviously the players do make a big part of it.

whether he or the club liked them Herrera and lukaku did offer something to the team. We HAD to replace them.

I think ole expected that our players would be fit and he could rotate the Squad in the Europa matches, and happily he in the 4th spot.

the injuries has really messed us up, but that’s all part of being a manager. Expecting the worst.

I feel like he’s been forced into cost cutting, maybe the funds weren’t available and he genuinely thought we’d be ok until January.

I can see that could be causing an issue, but the fact is our football is rubbish and the players on the pitch don’t look like a team. That has to come from coaching.

Other teams get similar injury problems but they don’t look like a pub team.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It's lazy thinking to place the blame squarely on Ole's shoulders for the dreadful situation we find ourselves in right now. The club was in crisis long before he took the job on a permanent basis. It's been on a relentless downward spiral since SAF retired and David Gill moved on (two figureheads who were instrumental to our success during that period) only to be replaced by the infinitely inferior David Moyes and Ed Woodward. The latter being the main culprit here, a trio of failed managerial appointments and transfer expenditure in the region of £800 million resulting in some of the worst transfers in the clubs history, many of whom remain at the club to this day.

Woodward, and by extension the Glazers seeing as it was them who appointed him, is equally at fault as Ole. If not more so. Sacking Ole will achieve nothing if Woodward remains CEO. He has to go along with Ole. In fact, a restructuring of the clubs backroom staff from the chairman through to the tea lady is necessary at this point. Sack the lot, including a large portion of those primadonnas masquerading as professional footballers for gross under-performance, and begin anew.
After 5 minutes I saw the problem.

McT and Fred were right in front of the defence. Huge gap between them and Mata and Rashford.
Ole simply should not have started with Fred and Mata. I'm not sure if Jones is injured. If not he should have been played with McT.
Perhaps Tuanzebe would have played there with McT if Lindeloff had not been injured?
Ole needs to think on his feet.

But the lion's share of the blame lies with Woodward letting Ander go...And not replacing him.
That is the barest minimum. But even then we needed another midfielder.

We are in a relegation fight already and it is early October.

Unlike 74 which I remember, we wont bounce back the following season. The Doc was a fantastic manager. He brought us back immediately by staying top from the second game if my memory is correct.
De Gea's interview is telling. We are in serious trouble.

We need to stabilise the season and look for a solid manager. I would go for Howie. If not him someone who has seen the ups and down.

But for immediately if Ole is let go as I see he will be if not now but after a humiliating loss to Liverpool, we need a caretaker like Big Sam or Keane even.
Fergie would end up dying.

Dangerous times.

ManchesterYoda

For the first few games, and I mean first FEW games, we played well because the players were happy that Mourinho was gone. After the first few games we weren't playing well but getting results. It was a lucky run, not a run due to good team performances. Then the luck changed and we've been on a bad run of results and performances ever since. We have been getting worse and worse since BEFORE we beat PSG. That win was also a freak result and we were NOT the better team. The reason is obvious. Solskjaer and his coaching staff are useless. We are going backwards. We will not improve until we bring in a new manager and coaching staff. There is ZERO chance of us improving with "Ole at the wheel".

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's complicated.

On the one hand, OGS should be congratulated for the insight and bravery to decimate the squad from much of its under performing or unsuited players. But Fellaini, Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, Herrera, (Valencia) is still a talented, experienced and worthy set of players that helped the club get to 2nd.

To agree to do so without getting like for like replacements, and rely on unproven youth players is verging on self inflicted damage. We don't know if that was imposed upon OGS, or if he is fine with it. I suspect its a financial board decision, OGS is unhappy about it, but wont say publicly.

So OGS starts the season with a woefully shallow, unbalanced and inexperienced squad. Almost everyone on this board said we'd be in huge trouble once injuries came around. And that's exactly what has happened. That being said, we should still be beating Newcastle.

A fair assessment on OGS all depends on what the answer is to the bolded middle paragraph above.

Last edited:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It's complicated.

On the one hand, OGS should be congratulated for the insight and bravery to decimate the squad from much of its under performing or unsuited players. But Fellaini, Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, Herrera is still a talented, experienced and worthy set of players that helped the club get to 2nd.

To agree to do so without getting like for like replacements, and rely on unproven youth players is verging on self inflicted damage. We don't know if that was imposed upon him, or if he is fine with it. I suspect its a financial board decision, he is unhappy about it, but wont say publicly.

So he starts the season with a woefully shallow, unbalanced and inexperienced squad. Almost everyone on this board said we'd we in huge trouble once injuries came around. And thats exactly what has happened. That being said, we should still be beating Newcastle.

A fair assessment on him all depends on what the answer is to the bolded middle paragraph above.
All of our the injuries bar Pogba's are muscle ones though, and that's due to the training methods. It's been happening ever since he came in.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
All of our the injuries bar Pogba's are muscle ones though, and that's due to the training methods. It's been happening ever since he came in.
Yeah, I wrote that too in a previous post somewhere. Not looking good for him, even when we try to be fair and objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.