Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Well what do you want? Top4? Because that spot right now has the difference between Rashford hitting the open net in prior matches and where we currently are.
For starters, I want us to NOT be behind likes of Brighton, Palace, Sheffield, Bournemouth etc. because even with all our flaws we have a better squad than them and produce some semblance of coherent football. There is simply no excuse even at this stage to be where we are (worst start to a league campaign in 33 years)! Blaming Rashford is pathetic given how little we create. Strikers even in the ilk of Aguero don't convert all of their chances and feck up open goals, just watch Agueros' performance vs Watford to see what I am getting at.

I need to remind you and others that we have 13 points after 11 matches, and already trail CL places by 10 fecking points. And that 4th placed side is none other than Frank Lampards' kindergarten, whom he assembled this summer due to a transfer ban. Much maligned Mourinho, even in the stinker of last campaign managed to secure 20 points from first 11 games. The irony is, in 11th match of league campaign last season we played Bournemouth away as well and trailed by a goal. But we managed to turn that around and were only 4points off CL place and 9 off league leaders. One got sacked on the back of that run and rightly so, yet we have likes of you making excuses for Ole who is doing a much much worse job than him.

He didn’t even mention those clubs, like a lot of United fans we just expect (crazy I know) to be above Brighton, palace and Sheff Utd ten games into a season. If we were 6th/7th and showing signs of progression and a style of football this thread would be a fraction of its current size.
It’s so so so tiresome seeing people use the squad quality as an excuse. We’ve lost to Bournemouth, Newcastle, Palace and West Ham this season. Brighton and Sheffield United look a better coached side than us.

Out of these 22 that played for Brighton and Sheff Utd today, who would you take, that would swoop in and change our fortunes?
Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Gross, Propper, Stephens, Alzate, Maupay, Connolly, Henderson, Basham, Egan, O’Connell, Baldock, Lundstram, Fleck, Stevens, Moussett, McGoldrick.
Amen to that.

LARulz

You can keep on with that panic argument, and I'll look at what we are doing against t6 rivals, and be happy that we appear to have relatively good control there, and just have that last bit of work with the scoring momentum to put us back into contention.
Can you honestly stay we have a coherent style of play? We play only on the counter if a team allows us, hence the top 6 record. Against anybody else we are basically sitting ducks. The players may not be the best but they are not worse than a lot of the teams we are behind. Would you have said Leicester have better players than us? No but they are way ahead of us. Why? Because they have a manager who has a system and knows what he wants except "pass it to Rashy or Anthony"

el3mel

It is really weird how some get annoyed from fans moaning about results and performance rather than being annoyed from the actual results and performance. It's like these people are detached from reality or something.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Am still not sure what the hell we are as a team. Looking best when opponent go at us hitting them on a counter while on the other hand (and if we can't do that) we try to press high up the pitch with a relatively high defensive line. Defensive line which isn't the quickest and since we can't control the game and put constant pressure on the opponent we end up being one that are vulnerable on the counter.

Also, once we concede we drop down a level and look like we are unable to come back. In general, we always look much better in first period of the game and regress as the game goes on. If we put first Chelsea game aside in 10 other games we scored just 2 goals in the second half.

Absolutely worrying. Relegation is out of the question, but we look like a mid-table team atm and like we will have these kind of games or ups and lot of downs the whole season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It is really weird how some get annoyed from fans moaning about results and performance rather than being annoyed from the actual results and performance. It's like these people are detached from reality or something.
Because people who moan are the exact people who never offer to help find solutions. They just moan, and complain and accuse. Rarely is there any constructive suggestion to what players should have played where, WHY that would be better, basically nothing. Just complaining and a whole lot of "grass is greener" syndrome.

Sterling Archer

You can keep on with that panic argument, and I'll look at what we are doing against t6 rivals, and be happy that we appear to have relatively good control there, and just have that last bit of work with the scoring momentum to put us back into contention.
That's disgustingly hypocritical. Might as well have Mourinho back if you're fine with the way we set up against not just top sides, but even midtable and lower.

el3mel

Because people who moan are the exact people who never offer to help find solutions. They just moan, and complain and accuse. Rarely is there any constructive suggestion to what players should have played where, WHY that would be better, basically nothing. Just complaining and a whole lot of "grass is greener" syndrome.
Management is more than that playing this her and not play this. We are tactically input and clueless once we have the ball. They said previously it was due to injuries, then we have a full main lineup and still looked clueless.

We can buy as many players as we want the reality some of you don't want to admit is Ole is a terrible manager and not good enough at this level of football.

Manchester United FC lost more games in the league than winning in 11 matches, 4 losses and 3 wins. That's unacceptable and our squad, even if it's not good, it's not that shite either. Period. Instead of moaning about people moaning about actual problems, you and others should focus on how shite we are on the pitch.

dove

If he's not sacked tomorrow morning, we might as well give up on the rest on the season and just play U21.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
So since Ole took over as permanent manager:

17th place - 19 Played; Won 5; Drawn 6; Lost 8; Scored 20; Conceded 25; GD -5.

Teams below us: Southampton, Brighton and Watford

Teams who have scored fewer than us: Watford and Brighton

Absolutely pathetic. Half a season of pure shit.

Last edited:

Al Capone

We need someone who will spend to make the club great again. Man Utd will always be able to balance the books. We need someone who will say enoughs enough lets invest and address the situation rather than keep listening to the same old rhetoric about no quality. Well duh, do something about it and if you can't let someone in who will make the club great again because even the most optimistic fan right now has lost patience. I know we wouldn't compete for the league and top 4 would be acceptable but jeeeeesus look at the state of us!

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Once again if he gets sacked today he won't get a job in the championship and here he is somehow supposed to be the guy who will turn it around for Manchester United
He’s like the student who wants to be a Dr, knows the pathway , talks about what he will do once he’s a Dr.... but he keeps failing every exam... yet because he knows the pathway (which isn’t difficult to find out) people still believe one day he’ll qualify as a Dr.

AFC NimbleThumb

He’s like the student who wants to be a Dr, knows the pathway , talks about what he will do once he’s a Dr.... but he keeps failing every exam... yet because he knows the pathway (which isn’t difficult to find out) people still believe one day he’ll qualify as a Dr.
I’ll be using this metaphor going forward.

JustAGuest

There is an obnoxious group of posters who no doubt get excited over each bad result so that they can post about how right they were.

AFC NimbleThumb

If you consider us a ‘top 6 side’ you’re happy with our performances against 25% of the league.

If you honestly think we are anywhere near ‘the last bit of work’ then the OgS apologists really have gone off the reservation on this one.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Contention for what? We've been lower mid table all season, what on earth are in contention for?

Rista

To be fair it doesn't take a genius to see we look very poor on the pitch and it has been the case for months. Fans have the right to be annoyed even if they wouldn't necessarily know how to setup the team better themselves. That is what we have professional managers for after all.

If there wasn't so much romanticism involved and if it wasn't a club legend that was in charge, no one would believe this long term plan nonsense.

AFC NimbleThumb

There is an obnoxious group of posters who no doubt get excited over each bad result so that they can post about how right they were.
Similar to the obnoxious OgS apologists that were lauding performances against Belgrade, Norwich & Chelsea B.

We’re all here as Manchester United fans; I highly doubt any of us enjoy a loss in fact the activity after one can likely be attributed to the angst people are feeling.

Based on the results he has achieved in charge of Manchester United, people asking how he is still employed after another defeat/draw is totally justified.

Godfather

Sitting back 90 mins and holding on to dear life against the top teams might get us some points against them here and there. It sure won't lead to anything though and wasn't how Fergie won all his trophies. We have to perform against teams that we dominate and have most of the ball against. We can't. Ole has no idea how to coach us going forward. None. We don't create shit. He has to go as soon as possible before he does any more damage.

Godfather

Similar to the obnoxious OgS apologists that were lauding performances against Belgrade, Norwich & Chelsea B.

We’re all here as Manchester United fans; I highly doubt any of us enjoy a loss in fact the activity after one can likely be attributed to the angst people are feeling.

Based on the results he has achieved in charge of Manchester United, people asking how he is still employed after another defeat/draw is totally justified.
This.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If you consider us a ‘top 6 side’ you’re happy with our performances against 25% of the league.

If you honestly think we are anywhere near ‘the last bit of work’ then the OgS apologists really have gone off the reservation on this one.
Before we went into the season, the club literally announced that it had a LOT of work to do. Everyone knew that. The manager needs more windows to get the right players in. Strangely enough everyone also agreed with this before the season started.

Sure, call me an apologist. It's not exactly an insult to want to work and find solutions to what we have is it. Fact of the matter is that we now know that the manager can recruit players that can excell for the club. We bought 3, they are all important players at this stage. There is a January window coming up in 2 months where we will target reinforcements. Likely targets are Haaland of Salzburg or Zlatan as a half-season mercenary. He's 38 but he's still got one good season left in him.

Fact of the matter is that we have been injury plagues more than any other team in the EPL this season. When we finally have most of them back we win 3 in a row. We lose today, fair enough, but losses do happen in football. I'm more than happy to be patient, we're playing the youngest PL team nearly week in and week out, its a development project.

At some point you really have to put some blame on the players on the pitch for their individual performance on the day, and take a look at what exactly happened in a given situation. Somehow that is never a topic. It's all about rallying the on the scapegoat for some zesty 1-5 line flamecomments

Mcking

Looking forward to a change of tone when we score penalties against Partizan and Brighton....
I've got doubts about his ability, but the squad looks damn weak and disjointed. I'd stick with him for now and bring in some players in January.

Robbie Boy

Marco Rose joins a team that finished 5th last season and in November he has them top of the Bundesliga and playing really good stuff.

But yeah, we should keep waiting for Ole to make any semblance of a positive impact. It’s funny, so many managers go into clubs and automatically transform their playing style and improve them within literal months. But yet some on here are so blinded as to just how bad a job Ole is doing, they have convinced themselves that all managers need a shit tonne of money and time before they can significantly improve a team.

Last edited:

el3mel

Only with an ex legend managing the club you will find people not finding any problem with us hovering around 7th-10th through out this season while losing more than winning. Bring any Tom, Dick or Harry and put him in charge with such results and people will be slaughtering the feck out of him.

432JuanMata

Only with an ex legend managing the club you will find people not finding any problem with us hovering around 7th-10th through out this season while losing more than winning. Bring any Tom, Dick or Harry and put him in charge with such results and people will be slaughtering the feck out of him.
Madness isn’t it I remember everyone laughing at Mourinho for finishing 2nd because we ended up miles of the league, sure we are 18 points off the league after 11 games and 10 points off top 4. We are closer to 20th than 4th.
Even the media seems to not be getting on his back, he would of been sacked at Palace never mind us

mattsville

The problem is we don't know the long term plan, yes you can see the signings we made were good, we cleared out some shit we did not want either and you understand you cannot do it all overnight, however the style of football is a concern, we smashed norwich, scored 3 and should have had a shit load more, why are we not doing this as default, are we trying to keep it tight as we know we have a generally limited bunch of players etc, if that is the case it is not working, we are not creating enough chances or scoring enough goals and we are conceding nearly every game if we are trying to keep it tight. Can we just fecking go for it, tired of watching cautious football after previous managers, just fecking attack with numbers.

JustAGuest

Sure, but that's not the type of post I'm referring to.

Greck

When is the tactical philosophy supposed to start kicking in? It doesn't have to win in its first season, it just has to direct our rebuilding effort. I feel like the plan is just to buy better players and let them figure out how to score more goals. Don't tell me it's the players because freaking Bournemouth and Derby play with styles

Said something was wrong when his answer to our problems at the end of last season was fitness. Really? Lack of running is why we can't fashion chances? It's hard to assess his ability without implying he's a bit simple tactically...at least relative to the other PL managers

Josep Dowling

In my opinion Solskjaer isn’t the immediate problem. The squad of players is absolute crap and there is a distinct lack of numbers as well.

If we had bought in another 3 players maybe it wouldn’t be such a mess. I want to know who made the decision to get rid of that many players and decide we didn’t need to bring the same amount in. I just can’t believe Ole is responsible for the lack of players coming in.

That is not to say we should keep him though. The football has been terrible all season. Even when we have won game the football has been tripe and every result feels ground out rather than comfortable. At this point though who do you bring in?

I still believe recruitment is the biggest issue at the club. We just spend too much money on very limited players. People have raved about Maguire and AWB but let’s be honest we are still conceding stupid goals. Maguire is a world record signing defender yet he wouldn’t lace Ferdinand’s boot. AWB is limited going forward yet we pay prices we laughed at City paying for the best RB in the league (at the time). I don’t buy United have to pay more for these players, City have more money than us and don’t go mental with every transfer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In my opinion Solskjaer isn’t the immediate problem. The squad of players is absolute crap and there is a distinct lack of numbers as well.

If we had bought in another 3 players maybe it wouldn’t be such a mess. I want to know who made the decision to get rid of that many players and decide we didn’t need to bring the same amount in. I just can’t believe Ole is responsible for the lack of players coming in.

That is not to say we should keep him though. The football has been terrible all season. Even when we have won game the football has been tripe and every result feels ground out rather than comfortable. At this point though who do you bring in?

I still believe recruitment is the biggest issue at the club. We just spend too much money on very limited players. People have raved about Maguire and AWB but let’s be honest we are still conceding stupid goals. Maguire is a world record signing defender yet he wouldn’t lace Ferdinand’s boot. AWB is limited going forward yet we pay prices we laughed at City paying for the best RB in the league (at the time). I don’t buy United have to pay more for these players, City have more money than us and don’t go mental with every transfer.
Think they just know we are desperate. With regards to City, they know that Pep has pulling power and if someone asks a ridiculous price he will just say no and look elsewhere.

Josep Dowling

Think they just know we are desperate. With regards to City, they know that Pep has pulling power and if someone asks a ridiculous price he will just say no and look elsewhere.
My point is why can’t we walk away and find other targets? We seem to be so fixated on one target it’s like we completely forget others players are available.

Maguire at £80m was an insane amount of money, which is probably why we didn’t get a midfielder in.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My point is why can’t we walk away and found other targets? We seemed to be so fixated on one target it’s like we completely forget others players are available.

Maguire at £80m was an insane amount of money, which is probably why we didn’t get a midfielder in.
I agree. They keep saying about lists, but as you say we just give in and pay up when a bit of good scouting and awareness would unearth players for a fraction of the prices we pay. Maguire was a lazy option, they just went for a Jose target when again there are probably cheaper options out there and our midfield is now suffering for the lack of investment.

Lara lhg

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Marco Rose joins a team that finished 5th last season and in November he has them top of the Bundesliga and playing really good stuff.

But yeah, we should keep waiting for Ole to make any semblance of a positive impact. It’s funny, so many managers go into clubs and automatically transform their playing style and improve them within literal months. But yet some on here are so blinded as to just how bad a job Ole is doing, they have convinced themselves that all managers need a shit tonne of money and time before they can significantly improve a team.
They said we would never make a David Moyes situation happen again. How wrong was we. People don’t learn. Maybe a manger will finally have time to get a team full of his ‘own players’ for fans to realise. That’s not the problem.

Mickson

Everyone who is saying that our players are crap, are our players worse than Brighton's our Bournemouth's? Because they are playing better football and get better results so far. We have worse players, so we can't expect to beat Bournemouth? Right? If no, then we should be able to beat Bournemouth with our players? No?

Hint: It's not the players, it's the management.

Mainoldo

I agree. They keep saying about lists, but as you say we just give in and pay up when a bit of good scouting and awareness would unearth players for a fraction of the prices we pay. Maguire was a lazy option, they just went for a Jose target when again there are probably cheaper options out there and our midfield is now suffering for the lack of investment.
Well for the position we are currently at did we need an £80m defender and £50m Right back? You would atleast expect that money to give you comfortably top 4.

Daft Lad

Before we went into the season, the club literally announced that it had a LOT of work to do. Everyone knew that. The manager needs more windows to get the right players in. Strangely enough everyone also agreed with this before the season started.

Sure, call me an apologist. It's not exactly an insult to want to work and find solutions to what we have is it. Fact of the matter is that we now know that the manager can recruit players that can excell for the club. We bought 3, they are all important players at this stage. There is a January window coming up in 2 months where we will target reinforcements. Likely targets are Haaland of Salzburg or Zlatan as a half-season mercenary. He's 38 but he's still got one good season left in him.

Fact of the matter is that we have been injury plagues more than any other team in the EPL this season. When we finally have most of them back we win 3 in a row. We lose today, fair enough, but losses do happen in football. I'm more than happy to be patient, we're playing the youngest PL team nearly week in and week out, its a development project.

At some point you really have to put some blame on the players on the pitch for their individual performance on the day, and take a look at what exactly happened in a given situation. Somehow that is never a topic. It's all about rallying the on the scapegoat for some zesty 1-5 line flamecomments
I think it is a lot more basic. With the squad we have is Ole getting the best out of them? About right? Or underperforming. I genuinely believe he’s not getting the best out of his resources. The basic test of management.

Status
Not open for further replies.