Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Got to blame Ole for the wrong formation he started with (he's currently deluded himself thinking it wasn't the case) but got to give him credit for his subs to even made the 3-2 come back.

For conceded that 3rd goal, got to blame the players. Players were really poor to defend that 3-2 lead and we should have never let Sheffield's player to messing around in our penalty box too long, should have clear the ball right away and be a nonsense players.

The Axel's subs makes sense because you won't trust Lingard in DM or CM in the last minutes of 3-2 lead, although difficult for him to pick who he should sub off. Martial is our only centre forward, harsh to sub off Greenwood & both Rashford & James are good in pressing the opposition. I would have sub off Lingard but again I understand why he won't sub him off since he just came on.

I think the result might be different if we have McTominay in midfield at least. He had no other choice but to start Pereira and he probably thinks since the midfield pair is Fred & Pereira means we have less protection for the defense and that's probably why he played 3 centre backs but that wasn't the case we were being outrun in midfield since they had 3 in the middle while we had 2.

I still think if we want to keep our top 4 or the CL next season alive we need to sign a midfield or at least on loan in January to get more cover in our midfield. Pereira & Matic won't do.
Would Guardiola have made that sub? It was 0-0 at Old Trafford and he took off Fernandinho there only defensive player because he knew we would be toothless in attack.

If Solskjaer had paid attention to the game he would have realised Sheffield United and ran out of steam.. we didn’t need to sit back and protect a lead we needed to maintain momentum. But pragmatic managers do pragmatic things.

Eleven-Eighteen

I don't get the outrage. Going into this run of fixtures, pretty much everyone had conceded that Sheffield away was going to be one of our tougher games.

Then United comes back from being 2 goals down to drawing 3-3 away to a team that is in far better form than us, and suddenly everyone wants Ole's head?!

His confidence in Williams paid of. His substitution of Greenwood was spot on. And James has been a revelation (not just in this game but all season).

How in the world are you lot more upset with Ole now than say at the end of last season? I'm baffled

Judas

Open to offers
Despite the performance and the awful way he tends to carry himself after a game, still don't see him going anywhere anytime soon, which is the sort of madness I've unfortunately got used to from this club.

hungrywing

If I'm one of James, Rashford, Greenwood or Martial, I'm kind of torn between wanting to understand my manager's decision and demoralized as hell.

They looked like they were going to score two more...

ash_86

Would Guardiola have made that sub? It was 0-0 at Old Trafford and he took off Fernandinho there only defensive player because he knew we would be toothless in attack.

If Solskjaer had paid attention to the game he would have realised Sheffield United and ran out of steam.. we didn’t need to sit back and protect a lead we needed to maintain momentum. But pragmatic managers do pragmatic things.
Absolutely 1000%. I've seen Pep bring on Otamedi plenty of times in tail end of the game.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's in the firing line for many no matter what, especially now with pochettino available.

Removing emotion, we're actually on a decent run, scoring goals and dug a point out of a shit performance today. On to villa now (Astana aside) and keep up the scoring taking momentum into spurs and City.
The scoring taking momentum.....

We're 10th mate. Not 3rd

He's so bang on. Why can't we do like shitty and finally identify a successful manager who has a track record and plays good football and get him, even if the process take 6 months to a year. Use a caretaker in that time to prepare for him?

Why do we just jump from shit solution to shit solution doing 180's every couple of years on our ideas of a Man United manager or Man United transfer strategy? what the feck.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It’s so depressing following this club under this manager. Had we taken a good beating against SU then I think he’d have been closer to the exit door, but in the end a shitty draw will have saved him yet again. There is no style, no pattern of play - anyone who says they can see something being built is lying. Garbage, awful manager.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I don't get the outrage. Going into this run of fixtures, pretty much everyone had conceded that Sheffield away was going to be one of our tougher games.

Then United comes back from being 2 goals down to drawing 3-3 away to a team that is in far better form than us, and suddenly everyone wants Ole's head?!

His confidence in Williams paid of. His substitution of Greenwood was spot on. And James has been a revelation (not just in this game but all season).

How in the world are you lot more upset with Ole now than say at the end of last season? I'm baffled
I don't know, perhaps because he's had the whole summer and all the time that's still running to actually coach something? Last season was a write-off, we all agreed on that and somewhat accepted the shambolic ending to the season ever since he's got the extension. Months later though we're still in the same shit, actually worse off points wise in comparison with last shambolic season and there're absolutely no signs whatsoever of coaching/gameplan, starting from such simple things as set pieces.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The bucks stops with the manager, and Poch deserved to be sacked, however that was his first poor season since 5 years while Ole has been a nothing manager on the top flight at the same period. It will look stupid for us to overlook Poch because of one bad year while continuing with Ole who has absolutely no track record to support him succeeding here at all. With Poch you have arguments of if he will succeed here, with Ole it's just wishful thinking. That's all.
Poch and ole performance was similar this year. Difference is the same performance got poch sacked, it got ole praise

ash_86

Name one. I’ll look it up and see if they was protecting a 1 goal lead.

Look at the Nov 2nd fixture against Southampton. City were up 2-1 and Otamendi came in the last few mins to protect the lead.

Look at the Nov 2nd fixture against Southampton. City were up 2-1 and Otamendi came in the last few mins to protect the lead.
Because Ole = Pep.

Did City play 70 minutes with 3 at the back and get walked over, only to change and mount a brilliant comeback and completely take over the game? Did Pep then decide that "I know what's a good idea, let's bring Otamendi on and go back to that formation that got walked over?"

Is that how it went down vs. Southampton on Nov 2nd?

ash_86

Because Ole = Pep.

Did City play 70 minutes with 3 at the back and get walked over, only to change and mount a brilliant comeback and completely take over the game? Did Pep then decide that "I know what's a good idea, let's bring Otamendi on and go back to that formation that got walked over?"

I was asked if Pep would bring in a defender at the tail end to protect a lead and i showed proof that he does. Nothing to do with what happened before or after it.

theklr

Deserves the sack on this statement alone. Shocking mentality.
How is praising the team for getting the lead after beeing down 0-2 sackable?

He is saying that they have improved massivly mentally and probably learned alot from this game, and i for one agree with him.

Some people are just looking for clickbait ffs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Because Ole = Pep.

We didn't go back to 3 at the back formation, Tuanzebe was brought on as a CM/DM, not as a CB. He played in midfield.

I didn't agree with the sub and i hated we went defensive but we didn't play 3 at the back. With Martial off, we missed the chance to counter and score few more goals.

SER19

The scoring taking momentum.....

We're 10th mate. Not 3rd
Couple of months ago it was fashionable to say how hopeless we were in front of goal. Nothing wrong with pointing to an area of improvement.

RedStarUnited

Im not buying the “any manager would have done that sub”. Only pragmatic managers would. Over the course of the match, we defended badly, it was silly to then expect those same players playing badly to get it together for the last 10 minutes.

if you are a brave manager you realise that as the home team, Sheffield would have had to push on to try and equalise wich would leave your fast attackers with plenty of space to counter with.

Mainoldo

Because Ole = Pep.

To be fair that wasn’t the question I asked him. But I just watched the game and it went very much like how you assumed. City throwing everything to get back in the game the continuing to batter Southampton even after Otamendi came on for Augero putting Fernandinho back in midfield.

Renegade

People are missing the point with the sub. It’s not the fact he brought. Defender on, it’s the timing and momentum shift. Make the same change when our momentum had stopped. Timing is everything.

Mainoldo

We didn't go back to 3 at the back formation, Tuanzebe was brought on as a CM/DM, not as a CB. He played in midfield.

I didn't agree with the sub and i hated we went defensive but we didn't play 3 at the back. With Martial off, we missed the chance to counter and score few more goals.
Where was Axel when they scored?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People are missing the point with the sub. It’s not the fact he brought. Defender on, it’s the timing and momentum shift. Make the same change when our momentum had stopped. Timing is everything.
Exactly this - it's a sub that's taken out of a manual (if A happens do B) and doesn't at all take into account the context of the actual game itself.

Sheffield United were always going to come onto us at some point (probably around the 90 minute mark) - there was zero need to hand them the impetus to do so at that moment in time.

Nickelodeon

In my opinion, it was less to do with the sub and more to do with the approach.

We were so petrified once we got the lead. I believe that it wasn't an incorrect substitution but there are many more levels between the no holds barred attacking approach we took before getting the lead and the shambolic park the bus approach we took since that. And that is my biggest beef with Ole. We have done that in so many games where we've taken the lead that it was inevitable that we would concede. Shocking game management by both the players and the manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

0-0 and 3-2 is different.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly this - it's a sub that's taken out of a manual (if A happens do B) and doesn't at all take into account the context of the actual game itself.

Sheffield United were always going to come onto us at some point (probably around the 90 minute mark) - there was zero need to hand them the impetus to do so at that moment in time.
Yeah, I think we had couple of good counters in quick succession and for once were comfortable in beating their defense.

JSW Devil

Even Nev in commentary said no don’t change it keep attacking. Ole is completely winging it no plan no idea, he’s had long enough to get this team playing with some consistency and we are a complete shamble. For all the Ole supporters answer this why in hell Phil (every challenge is last ditch, complete and utter no awareness of anything, see ball get ball like some calamitous Great Dane) Jones ? Just why?

Litch

......not sure why we are surprised that Ole keeps making mistakes with his tactical decisions, the man has NO experience managing at the highest level. Ole is simply learning to pass his test in F1 car and we are moaning he keeps crashing it. The man should never been given the seat in the first place.

Bruno8

I can understand the frustration of others but yesterday with no midfielders to select from it was the best formation he could have gone with. Midfield options are too thin. We need 3 new CM to be competitive again. Hopefully when PP and McT are back things will be better

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can understand the frustration of others but yesterday with no midfielders to select from it was the best formation he could have gone with. Midfield options are too thin. We need 3 new CM to be competitive again. Hopefully when PP and McT are back things will be better
I think it's also the underlying frustration of going into the season with only 4 midfielders (Matic doesn't count as Ole obviously didn't fancy him anyway) when we're wanting to play a 3 midfielders system.

We're incredibly fortunate that McT has been as good as he has been really.

mu4c_20le

Momentum had nothing to do with it when it was the last attack in the game. I find it worrying that some posters are so obsessed with the sub and not the leaky defence. It's not like they put us under siege for another half hour to go, it was just five minutes.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Tactic was absolutely wrong.

We didn't played with 3 at the back. Jones positionning was shocking. He was side by side with Williams and both were too easy to play against.

Pereira was a ghost and Fred alone in what should have been 4 or 5 in midfield.

The entrance of Axel was not decisive, as with 5 minutes to play we should have conceded such a poor goal.

Ole doesn't have it to manage us and we should not be fooled by the table or the potential 5th place....

We'll have a real wake up call in two weeks when Jose will come and kill us at home, and also City later.

We are poor, and a lot is down to him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pep succeeded Ole failed once again for the umpteenth time. It’s just boring now.
You aren’t making any sense. The players failed him not the subs failed him. You are using an example in 2 different situation. Let me give you a better example.

On 11th December 2017. City beat us 2-1 in Old Trafford. Otamendi scored the winning goal in 54th min, guess what Pep did 5 mins later?

Yes, he took Gabriel Jesus off to bring on Mangala. He took his striker off for a centre back in 59th min to keep the 2-1 lead, he had Agüero on the bench and didn’t even use him for the whole match. The players didn’t fail him on that day for making a “boring” subs like that. And Ole pretty much did the same thing yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.