Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Honestly it get so tiresome arguing on here when every post just descends immediately into the bolded line above. Where does a conversation go from there exactly? You have no idea what constitutes a top class coach any more than I or the rest of this board does. When people say 'coaching is shit' what they actually mean is 'results are shit'. Its time people accepted that there are gaping holes in our squad that cant be solved by coaching.
Says the person who thinks he's done a marvelous job.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
How many people on this forum believe that they have a deep level of understanding when it comes to coaching & team set-up?

I'm curious to see who believes that they do, because there is next to zero actual discussion anywhere on this forum about our tactics and what changes/tweaks are made from match to match.

beer&grill

Honestly it get so tiresome arguing on here when every post just descends immediately into the bolded line above. Where does a conversation go from there exactly? You have no idea what constitutes a top class coach any more than I or the rest of this board does. When people say 'coaching is shit' what they actually mean is 'results are shit'. Its time people accepted that there are gaping holes in our squad that cant be solved by coaching.
Maybe people think it isn’t a coincidence that we have the worst results in a long time while having a coach from the 22nd best league in Europe.

wolvored

A top class coach usually improves a team within the first season. A top class coach never gets a team relegated. A top class coach gets players in before letting players go and leaving the squad bare. See where i'm going here?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Forget Ole is the manager for one second and let's pretend its Pep, Klopp, Pochettino, whomever you want. Then look at the squad and tell me where you think the current set of players realistically have a chance of finishing.

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
Top 4

Greck

Forget Ole is the manager for one second and let's pretend its Pep, Klopp, Pochettino, whomever you want. Then look at the squad and tell me where you think the current set of players realistically have a chance of finishing.

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
Why would you separate the squad from the manager when the squad is this way because of the manager. If Poch, Klopp or Pep had taken over Jose we wouldn't be starting with Pereira just because he's an academy product or some other romantic reason. I would verily expect them to finish top 4 after inheriting that version of the squad and spending 200m

Zhadow

What I can see on the pitch is that he does zero to none coaching during the game. He just sits on the bench and looks clueless and bored and disinterested. What I can see on the pitch is that we still seem to struggle to break down weaker teams or teams that sit back and play our style of football. We only seem to look good when we can sit back and counter attack against better sides. He almost never has a Plan B when his “gameplan” doesn’t work. If that’s not weak managing and coaching I don’t know what it is. And yeah, the results are shit as well. And we are just so feckin' boring to watch. It's just not fun anymore.

spiriticon

2020 and people still don't understand how those twitter accounts work. They've literally given the source and everything, and you're still confused :lol:
Actually I went to the twitter account of the original source [@johncrossmirror] to try and read the full article and there's absolutely sweet feck all on this.

Hence my conclusion that it is crap.

Zhadow

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
Top 3 or 4, without a doubt. Not every player we have is a world beater. But nonetheless we have a very talented squad that is much better than we look right now.

Caesar2290

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
Assuming they all started in December 2018, then Top 3 comfortably. I would even say Top 2 based on how City and Leicester are being so inconsistent.

Roboc7

Well, if you actually watch our games, you could see we are always building possession from the back with Lindelöf and Maguire, they find the right passes to break the lines and to play fast through. They play in the little spaces with quick passes and often forward. We also keep the ball a lot more than before with Jose. We use our fullbacks way more and they participate on the building part and last movement (crosses, key passes through the lines).

But, McTominay and Pogba are injured all the time, Lingard and Andreas are ineffective creatively and our forwards have been out injured too or out of form. You also can see that we don't have any viable options on the right flank, James being unrecognizable for few weeks now. And now Rashford is out, we have a problem on the left wing. Our squad was already paper thin but with all theses injuries and out of form players, it's complicated for any manager, even the better. And I know there are a lot of better managers than Solskjaer but he'll give all he have for our club and will put the culture first, the one why we felt in love with Manchester United.

So no, our playing style is not counter attacking, surely not. And yes, Ole lacks a lot of things to implement the kind of football he wants his team to play. Once we have all our players back and 2-3 additions in the summer (DM, RW, CAM), I'm sure we'll more progress than we actually see.
Like I said I don’t think you know meaning or word narrative. If your going be patronising and say do you actually watch our games you should at least foolow it up with something clever. Fact you’ve done it twice and failed both time is just dull.

hubbuh

Ole is a genius in a way. How he convinced the board about his many years plan and more importantly how he convinced some of our fans about it is amazing. Do not underestimate him.
:lol: The board got trigger happy after an amazing run of results because they are incompetent. The fans are desperate (and consequently fallible to deluding themselves) to see a legend of the club steer it back to the summit after years in the wilderness. There is no grand illusion. If we had a half decent set up Ole would never have been given the job based on 11 games and there’d be a clear and defined plan and structure in place.

Roboc7

It’s a fact though Ole isn’t a top class manager or coach, not an up and coming manager or someone who was highly regarded. That’s not a criticism it’s just the truth and I don’t know why anyone takes offence at that or is surprised to hear it.

lRed

Like I said I don’t think you know meaning or word narrative. If your going be patronising and say do you actually watch our games you should at least foolow it up with something clever. Fact you’ve done it twice and failed both time is just dull.
And your role on this forum is to insult other people or something ?
I answer you my vision, my opinion, I try to explain you why I think that and you still don't respect me.
I'll stop with you here, have a good day.

Paul_Scholes18

How is it a criticism if it’s how we play and how the manager chooses to play. What people have to realise is Ole isn’t a top class coach or a manager, not even close. Basic tactics, limited playing style etc is what we should expect, that’s the manager we hired. There’s no point pretending he is anything but that or has anything in common with the best managers.

One minute Ole is laying foundations and focused on the future the next he’s making most of what he’s got (mind you that’s a bit of a stretch) and only playing this way because he has to.
If this is Ole making the best use of what he got with his ability. 1 He is terrible at getting things out of his players. 2 He has spent the money poorly in the market.
I agree with those two points so it might be true.

Roboc7

And your role on this forum is to insult other people or something ?
I answer you my vision, my opinion, I try to explain you why I think that and you still don't respect me.
I'll stop with you here, have a good day.
I’m not going to praise you for being patronising.

Giggsyking

Coaching coaching coaching. If only Ole could do some coaching. That would solve all our issues, we'd be top of the league if only Ole would stop being stupid and do some coaching.
The only thing that our manager cant do is coaching, otherwise he is a top manager. :D

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shitty manager, shitty person. Get rid.

If you don't believe me on shitty person, read up on his relationships with Jim Solbakken and Babacar Sarr.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It’s a fact though Ole isn’t a top class manager or coach, not an up and coming manager or someone who was highly regarded. That’s not a criticism it’s just the truth and I don’t know why anyone takes offence at that or is surprised to hear it.
Well if we are being completely pedantic being manager of Manchester United arguably makes him or anyone else a top class manager while they hold the seat. Its up to him to keep it, and he doesn't appear to be under pressure and he does appear to be being backed. I've yet to hear anybody come up with a reasonable response to why they think that is other than Woodward clueless, wants a yes man etc etc

elánius

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
TOP4 absolutly minimum for this team, this season we would be fighting for second place.

Giggsyking

Top 6?
Top 4?
Top 2?
Klopp top 3
Guardiola top 4
Poch top 4

Roboc7

Well if we are being completely pedantic being manager of Manchester United arguably makes him or anyone else a top class manager while they hold the seat. Its up to him to keep it, and he doesn't appear to be under pressure and he does appear to be being backed. I've yet to hear anybody come up with a reasonable response to why they think that is other than Woodward clueless, wants a yes man etc etc
So we appoint Steve Bruce and he’s instantly a top class manager, his entire career/performance before hand is completely irrelevant. That’s a nice way to basically admit you agree with me but don’t like reality.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So we appoint Steve Bruce and he’s instantly a top class manager, his entire career/performance before hand is completely irrelevant. That’s a nice way to basically admit you agree with me but don’t like reality.
Why hasn't he been fired?

Roboc7

Why hasn't he been fired?
You are just undermining anything sensible you are saying now. You can support Ole without being brainwashed. If we bring Moyes back is he a top class manager again (obviously he once was as he managed us)?.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You are just undermining anything sensible you are saying now. You can support Ole without being brainwashed. If we bring Moyes back is he a top class manager again (obviously he once was as he managed us)?.
I'm not talking about that. I'm simply asking you why you think he hasn't been fired?

hobbers

Klopp and Pep wouldn't have taken the squad into the season without demanding more bodies in, so there's that for starters. They're not dumb enough to think Rashford, Martial, a Championship signing and a 17 year old are enough to cover 3 positions over a season including the Europa league.

Also if Klopp or Pep were managing Pogba wouldn't be trying so desperately to leave for greener pastures, because he'd sense a Premier League title at United in the offing, which might make him hold back on his Spain move.

Roboc7

I'm not talking about that. I'm simply asking you why you think he hasn't been fired?
I know your ignoring it because you have realised what your saying doesn’t make sense and my original point was just common sense.

Like you I have no idea why he hasn’t been fired. The board publicly backed Moyes and LVG and they got boot at end of season so they could be getting ready to sack him or be happy with how things are going.

beer&grill

Playing for Manchester United arguably makes Pereira a top class player while he holds his place in team. If you don’t believe he is top class, why wasn’t he sold yet?

Amir

Because the same people who failed in previous appointments are still in charge and they are rather lost for ideas. Plus with Solskjaer they can still hold on to that narrative of 'change of culture' and all that jazz.

spiriticon

Cheers. Well if that is true then McKenna needs to go, regardless of whether Ole does.

I don't rate the guy's coaching anyway. Not quite sure why Ole kept him on. For as long as he's been a first team coach we have played some utterly awful football in attack. Same goes with Carrick.

Both were promoted as first team coaches way too early.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Has Ole been a necessary evil? I think with him the board has finally realized what United needs and what their fans wants now. So far we've been Promoting youth eg Greenwood, Williams, signing hungry and talented players eg Bruno AWB Maguire and James, clearing out the average and overpaid players etc. People have liked all these so far and it's a good direction. So I don't see how the board in their right senses will decide to appoint a Manger that will take these things away.

Poor recruitment and poor coaching is why we've been poor over 7 years. But this past year Ole has come and it looks like we no longer have poor recruitment but an actual plan in recruiting - Signing hungry and talented players, no more panic buying, no more signing players on high wages, clearing deadwood and promoting youth. So what we're left with is poor coaching. It makes sense that the club sacks Ole and brings in a good attacking coach while adopting the recruitment strategy used by Ole for next season.

Andersonson

Cheers. Well if that is true then McKenna needs to go, regardless of whether Ole does.

I don't rate the guy's coaching anyway. Not quite sure why Ole kept him on. For as long as he's been a first team coach we have played some utterly awful football in attack. Same goes with Carrick.

Both were promoted as first team coaches way too early.

Why don't you rate him?

I've seen many players become better after he came here as a first team coach.

Rashford has never been better, same goes for Scott and Fred. Williams gets better all the time too.

Not many as regressed under his coaching, but the youngsters has become alot better.

He'sRaldo

Why don't you rate him?

I've seen many players become better after he came here as a first team coach.

Rashford has never been better, same goes for Scott and Fred. Williams gets better all the time too.

Not many as regressed under his coaching, but the youngsters has become alot better.
I have a hunch, from what I've read, that Carrick works with individual players, while Mckenna works with the overall team.

A few players have credited their improvement on Carrick's 1 on 1 work with them, but I haven't really heard anything on Mckenna.

hobbers

Chelsea (H&A), Norwich (A&H), Brighton (H), Tottenham (H), Newcastle (H), Burnley (A).
Colchester (H), Partizan (H&A), AZ (H), Astana (H), Wolves (H), Tranmere (A).
:lol: I realise my question was poorly phrased but are you actually serious with this? All 3 games were classic counter punch style. At OT both Chelsea and Spurs dominated the ball, both had 55% possession and we were just utterly clinical and scored from basically every counter attack, and in the cup Chelsea had 66% possession.

Obviously the games against Colchester, AZ, Astana and Tranmere etc are meaningless inclusions. The only teams we have comprehensively beaten in the league without counter attacking this season are Newcastle at home, Norwich x2, Brighton and Burnley away. And the Newcastle and Burnley wins are already soured by our absolutely abysmal performances in the reverse fixtures. So the conclusion is that Brighton and Norwich are the only sides in the league that Ole's United are so far capable of dominating in a season. And this is pathetic.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I have a hunch, from what I've read, that Carrick works with individual players, while Mckenna works with the overall team.

A few players have credited their improvement on Carrick's 1 on 1 work with them, but I haven't really heard anything on Mckenna.
Yeah for a coach at such a huge club it's a mystery what he does.

Paul_Scholes18

:lol: I realise my question was poorly phrased but are you actually serious with this? All 3 games were classic counter punch style. At OT both Chelsea and Spurs dominated the ball, both had 55% possession and we were just utterly clinical and scored from basically every counter attack, and in the cup Chelsea had 66% possession.

Obviously the games against Colchester, AZ, Astana and Tranmere etc are meaningless inclusions. The only teams we have comprehensively beaten in the league without counter attacking this season are Newcastle at home, Norwich x2, Brighton and Burnley away. And the Newcastle and Burnley wins are already soured by our absolutely abysmal performances in the reverse fixtures. So the conclusion is that Brighton and Norwich are the only sides in the league that Ole's United are so far capable of dominating in a season. And this is pathetic.
City away in the cup too. We didn't really counter in that game too. Can't remember a single good counter attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.