Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

No we don't. We are a countering attacking team that spent most the season not taking charge in most of our games hence why we found ourselves losing in a lot of matches. Do we press?

I'd say we're marginally better but it's fairly shit and not good enough.
We have lost 4 games this season in the PL, 2nd least so I am not sure how we are losing in alot of matches?

Surely, if we are losing in games, teams sit back and wait to be broken, which is the complete opposite of counter attacking football? Which means we have to attack teams ?

Dinghy

No we don't. We are a countering attacking team that spent most the season not taking charge in most of our games hence why we found ourselves losing in a lot of matches. Do we press?

We concede goals because we sit back, is that the flawless logic of yours? And then we start to counter attack when teams have gotten the first goal in matches?

Fecking hell, no wonder you're on ignore.

Hailee

No they are factual, financial and phychological improvements. Not trophies, moral or physical. You said there's no difference between finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th - and there categorically is. Your hatred for Ole being manager is clouding very basic football judgement here. Would you prefer to finish 4th, or 2nd? Ask Brendan Rodgers, Klopp, etc would prefer to finish 2nd or 4th. They'll all answer the same thing. Why? More money, better seeds in European competition over time, a psychological advantage on your opponents, etc, etc, etc. I'm sorry progress hurts you as a fan.
Where was this logic when Mourinho finished second? Were you singing the same tune?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We have lost 4 games this season in the PL, 2nd least so I am not sure how we are losing in alot of matches?

Surely, if we are losing in games, teams sit back and wait to be broken, which is the complete opposite of counter attacking football? Which means we have to attack teams ?
I'm not getting into long arguments - really don't care. But we're a countering attacking team. We score most of our goals countering our opponents. If you feel different, you have every right to.

romufc

I'm not getting into long arguments - really don't care. But we're a countering attacking team. We score most of our goals countering our opponents. If you feel different, you have every right to.
Is this because you realised what you said was complete nonsense?

A team who concedes first them becomes the counter attacking team?

Also, we have scored 53 goals this season, 5 of them have been on the counter. Didn't realise 9% is most goals.

AshRK

Where was this logic when Mourinho finished second? Were you singing the same tune?
People have to understand finishing 2nd wasn't the reason jose was criticized, it was his demeanor after sevilla knock out. The way he threw everyone under the bus but was not looking at his own flaw was the reason fans were pissed and then the summer of 2018 where he kept on whinging and moaning. It was like he was personally sabotaging us. People need to stop bringing Jose.

Matriac

No they are factual, financial and phychological improvements. Not trophies, moral or physical. You said there's no difference between finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th - and there categorically is. Your hatred for Ole being manager is clouding very basic football judgement here. Would you prefer to finish 4th, or 2nd? Ask Brendan Rodgers, Klopp, etc would prefer to finish 2nd or 4th. They'll all answer the same thing. Why? More money, better seeds in European competition over time, a psychological advantage on your opponents, etc, etc, etc. I'm sorry progress hurts you as a fan.

Are you seriously complaining we've dropped points against some teams this season? I hate to break it to you pal, but every team has dropped points. Every team has had bad results - City included. Ask some Liverpool fans, Leicester fans, Chelsea fans, Spurs fans, Arsenal fans, Wolves fans if they've had some sh!te results against poor opposition.... What's your point? Every team has played well in some games, and sh!te in others, do you know how we keep track of that? With a league table. We're 2nd. This is improvement on last season, and that of the season before. Have you heard of a thing called trajectory?

You sound like a spoilt fan to expect a relatively newly assembled squad that is learning how to walk before they run at the top, which clearly has glaring issues like the need for a CB, DM, RW, another ST to challenge this fantastic City team for the league :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . We've never been at this City squads level in this era. I hate to break that to you. If you think this squad is at the same level as City, to compete in a title race, you need to stop watching football. Just because City started slowly and we spent a couple of weeks at the top, do you think that means Ole not winning 20 on the bounce is a failure? Do you think United have a squad capable of competing with this City team? Give your head a wobble. This City side has been assembled over 6 years of careful planning and lots of spending power. For the first time post-Fergie, United are finally operating well in the transfer market, bringing quality players to the club, are 2 years in to their re-build and I'm enjoying it. Sorry you're not.

Ask yourself this, what position did you expect to finish at the start of the season? 1st? Did you feck, if you say you did, you're lying. Did you expect us to finish 2nd? Did you feck. So how on earth can you expect us to challenge City now? I expected us to finish 3rd, but I hoped to be closer to City and Liverpool. We're well on track for that. Just because Liverpool have sh!t the bed this season, isn't my problem, we've been better than them, Chelsea, Wolves, Everton, Spurs, etc, etc as it stands & I expect us to finish 2nd or 3rd.

Competing with City at the level they're at requires probably 4-5 years of consistency in some key ares: the same manager, the development of our young players, buying the correct players and completing a serious squad building exercise. Guess what .... we're 2 years in and we've progressed from 6th best to 2nd best. Cheer up, celebrate when we win, don't hope we lose so you can come post more toxic dross on here, and enjoy the ride. We're heading up, the trajectory is positive, we've more points this season than last season, we've a better squad, we're financially able to go buy more players of the correct mould in the summer, and I look forward to it. When we win, I post on here that we're on the correct path. When we draw, or lose, I say, bad result but we're on the correct path. The issue with lots of football fans these days is that they are too short-sighted. You should be celebrating that we've got a club legend who's played and scored so many times for us, managing us and with our best interests at heart - and who is most importantly taking us on an upward trajectory season on season. I'd agree with you if we were 6th, less points, losing every week.

Fantastic post.
Yeah, none of us at the start of the season expected to win this year. Many thought we would struggle for top4.
The fact that we even spent some weeks in 1st place made me feel incredibly hyped, more than I can remember post-SAF. I was checking the table daily, checking what opponents other teams in the top 4 had and calculating possible results. Once we fell to 2nd I mostly stopped that. But I loved feeling that way, it was a taste of years past. I never expected us to win this year, but we are performing above expectations and are on the trajectory to keep improving as a team. As long as we do slightly better than mediocre in the summer I expect us to seriously challenge next season. I want to feel that way again.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

What a load of rubbish.

Did you even watch the Chelsea match this weekend? we spent most of the first 45 pressing them back in their own half.

Yes on occasions we soak up pressure and counter, but there's nothing wrong with that.

jem

You must be having a laugh! We had the youngest squad in the league last season, and Ole didn’t “blood” in youth? I feel so sorry for you guys not seeing what he is doing to the club! On all levels..
I assumed you were being sarcastic in your previous post. Now beginning to wonder...

Locke

There is a difference between being an counter attacking team and a team that does counter attacks. Doing counter attacks when opponents have many men forward is a great way to score goals in. We saw it a lot under Fergie too.
I can agree we sat back more last year and played a back 5 some games but not this season.

Godfather

SO MUCH better than the football played under LVG and Mourinho.

At least with Ole we try to play the modern way, pressing from the front and trying to take charge in matches.
Yeah that's the exact opposite of what we do in big games and whenever we actually try to take charge of games and have the majority of possession we struggle.

I'd say that only in a very little percentage of our games we really play convincing and enjoyable football. If it's marginally more than under Mou is pretty irrelevant.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What a load of rubbish.

Did you even watch the Chelsea match this weekend? we spent most of the first 45 pressing them back in their own half.

Yes on occasions we soak up pressure and counter, but there's nothing wrong with that.
And created zero chances. They gave us space beucase they new that we would be sitting back again. Second half proved that.

MattofManchester

In the words of another sportsman in Rafael Nadal: "We as sportspeople are privileged to be in the position to do what we love.

Hearing Solskjaer comparing lockdown to a less harsh WW2 is frankly quite ridiculous and rather entitled. Many people have lost their jobs and lives.
Sportsmen having to play a few extra days a week so they can earn their thousands to millions a week above anyone else is a fecking privilege.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
:lol: A City fan with a sense of wit?
No, in all honesty no.
And what could be funny about that anyhow, it’s just an honest opinion from a football supporter.
I’m not hiding my all allegiances, it’s my opinion and I’m not taking the piss.

Jonno

The logic was similar in the sense that Jose deserved another season when he took us to 2nd, I supported it, posted publicly on here that he deserves another season, to see where he can take us. I criticised the clubs decision not to back him in the transfer market when he wanted Harry Maguire, who was available for considerably less than £80m.

The only time I wanted Jose out, was when he completely imploded at the club the following season and we were about 8th, he was publicly blaming players, publicly blaming the club, blaming everyone. It was then that the whole world could see he was executing his exit strategy. Huge payout, and on to the next club after a rest.

If we drop to 7th-8th next year with no clear plan, then I will be the first to say Ole has had a good go, a good re-build but its time for a different manager and different ideas. My point here is - we're not are we, we're 2nd, we're on an upward trajectory on previous seasons we're re-building year on year. Look at the effect Bruno had last season, Maguire had, Cavani this season, AWB making the RB position his own, the re-build is going well, the culture re-boot has gone very well and we're slowly improving. These next questions are not specifically for you, but the posters I was debating Ole in/Ole out with - Why change the manager mid-rebuild? Why criticise Ole for not matching this unbelievable City squad? Because he's matched everybody else!

Skåre Willoch

Did anyone call for his head when he finished second? :houllier: It wasn't until he turned into Mr. Hyde during the following season most fans turned on him, and rightly so.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In the words of another sportsman in Rafael Nadal: "We as sportspeople are privileged to be in the position to do what we love.

Hearing Solskjaer comparing lockdown to a less harsh WW2 is frankly quite ridiculous and rather entitled. Many people have lost their jobs and lives.
Sportsmen having to play a few extra days a week so they can earn their thousands to millions a week above anyone else is a fecking privilege.
Where did he say that?

Either way I think it's a bit reductive because elite sport isn't just about turning up and doing your best. The physical and psychological toll will tell if players are burning out, especially in light of the shortened pre-season (and really, isn't that why pre-season is so long?).

A lot of teams - including ours - have been performing above expectations even if there's been sloppiness too. I think much of that can be attributed to this weird season we're having, which thankfully has affected other teams more obviously than ours (e.g. Wolves/Liverpool/Chelsea).

Ole is far from the only manager who has pointed out that this season is challenging. I know City have been tearing it up recently but Pep's been rotating like mad and I doubt he'd have won 21 on the bounce if he didn't have such a great squad to utilise.

That's also saying nothing about the lack of crowds in stadiums which will have impacted certain aspects of play. Probably simply because of the decrease in motivation/drive that comes from having 70,000 supporters cheering you on in the final ten minutes.

Footballers are definitely privileged with respect to the amount of money they earn/the status they're afforded but they're not immortals.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Absolutely disgusting comment comparing a just as harsh world war 2 to what his multimillionaire players are going through now. All well and good trying to protect his players but sometimes I wish Ole would just keep his fecking mouth closed instead of spouting ignorant bullshit.

rotherham_red

Then why did he buy van de beek last summer and not a DM?
Because a) he was a very good player who was available at a decent price, b) Pogba was more than likely looking for a move within the next 12 months, and c) we were already very reliant on Bruno to provide the creativity - rather than bringing on Lingard and the likes, we would instead have Donny.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Absolutely disgusting comment comparing a just as harsh world war 2 to what his multimillionaire players are going through now. All well and good trying to protect his players but sometimes I wish Ole would just keep his fecking mouth closed instead of spouting ignorant bullshit.
What did he say?

Adam-Utd

"we're a counter attacking team, dO wE EvEn PreSs"

Adam-Utd

You absolute melt :lol: he was hardly comparing them was he? he just said it's the hardest life has been since WW2.

Some of you lot need your heads checking, get our and get some fresh air.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Because a) he was a very good player who was available at a decent price, b) Pogba was more than likely looking for a move within the next 12 months, and c) we were already very reliant on Bruno to provide the creativity - rather than bringing on Lingard and the likes, we would instead have Donny.
So why aren’t we using him then? Even now when Pogba is out

Matriac

So why aren’t we using him then? Even now when Pogba is out
He's been out with injury for a bit of time as well, was considered healthy in time for the Chelsea match, but we opted for the more trusted Fred and Scott, and perhaps he wasn't fully fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see him feature tonight.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You absolute melt :lol: he was hardly comparing them was he? he just said it's the hardest life has been since WW2.

Some of you lot need your heads checking, get our and get some fresh air.
Oles words

We didn't live in the Second World War, thankfully, but these times and the restrictions have been almost as harsh. The way they've (the players) dealt with it? Absolutely brilliant.”

Do you think there's absolutely any comparison with the way our players have "dealt with it" rather than what the people of the second world war went through?

Adam-Utd

Oles words

We didn't live in the Second World War, thankfully, but these times and the restrictions have been almost as harsh. The way they've (the players) dealt with it? Absolutely brilliant.”

Do you think there's absolutely any comparison with the way our players have "dealt with it" rather than what the people of the second world war went through?
Absolutely nothing wrong with what he's said at all.

This year has been the hardest since WW2, hence why he said "almost"

I think you must be very bored if you're wasting your time trying to make a big deal out of that.

Water Melon

Oles words

Did he really say that? How on Earth can you compare WWII and current pandemic? No these times can not be compared to WWII, they are not even remotely close.

Siorac

I think you must be very bored if you're wasting your time trying to make a big deal out of that.
I agree that it's no big deal but saying that this past year has been almost as hard as World War fecking Two is obvious nonsense. It's a stupid comparison. It happens, football managers say stupid things sometimes, and the world moves on.

b82REZ

Politicians have made similar comments. The restrictions that have been imposed on people over the last 12 months are the most "intrusive" since WW2, hence the comparisons.

Adam-Utd

I agree that it's no big deal but saying that this past year has been almost as hard as World War fecking Two is obvious nonsense. It's a stupid comparison. It happens, football managers say stupid things sometimes, and the world moves on.
This is what happens when people take shit talking way too literally.

He means the restrictions to normal life as in staying at home all day - i'd say that's fair.

He clearly isn't comparing it to the death and destruction that those people dealt with.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah it's nonsense. There is no need to come up with stuff like that.

Cast5

Some “United fans” hate Solskjaer, you have to hate him to dedicate most of your day to trying to find something wrong with every little thing the man does.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

If you think our multimillionaire footballers are "almost" going through the same restrictions as imposed in the second world war then I really am lost for words.

If he had of said something along the lines of , "we're living in harsh times and i think the players have adapted well." Then I wouldnt have a problem with it at all but bringing up the second world war as if they're some sort of fecking hereos really does wind me up the wrong way and if you think there's absolutely nothing wrong in what he said then I think it reflects more on you than it does on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.