Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG3001

Ole deserves so much credit tonight.

We were much the better team in the first half and only went in behind due to two moments. All the commentators and analysts (Savage, Scholes and Hargreaves) were losing their cool and demanding changes, despite the fact we were the better team. Composure and being process-oriented are such underrated qualities in a manager. The manager just chucking forwards on in a panic would have been the wrong move and have moved Pogba out of the area where he could cause carnage.
Don’t think it was necessarily a case of throwing the kitchen sink for the 2nd half, but let’s be honest, Mctominay should have been hooked at the whistle. Rashford not much better.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Don’t think it was necessarily a case of throwing the kitchen sink for the 2nd half, but let’s be honest, Mctominay should have been hooked at the whistle. Rashford not much better.
Disagree. Sometimes you have to work out when you are doing most things right, but things aren’t breaking your way. Tonight was one of those nights.

Odin

Supporting and trusting your own players. Persistence and patience paying off. Who would have thought... ?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We struggled to score 5+ goals under Jose and Van Gaal. Under Ole we score at such a consistent rate. I hope stats are ready @RedSky :D

jamesjimmybyrondean

People just don't like him because I can't understand the quick negative reactions towards him when we are losing after proving time and time again we can turn it around. Maybe it's his face or charisma or more likely the unproven CV. Don't expect this type of doubt if it was an Ancelotti

mu4c_20le

That is impressive, even if you take out the leicester 'freak' result.

Now if he can only match it with some silverware, that'd be peachy

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
fecking love Ole directly commenting on Hargreaves and Scholes criticising his selections.

Polar

The inflation is a good point, but they did not spend the same if you take into account income from players sold.

LvGs purchases were to a much greater extent offset by sales. The clearout that's going on now is not bigger compared to what happened at that time. In 14/15, 20 players left United. 8 of them were sold, for a combined income of more than 41 million. The year after, 7 players were sold for a combined 75.5 million. LvGs net spend was quite significantly lower than Oles has been.
Your sale perspective is relevant, but it’s also important to remember a £50m investment in 2015 and 2019 wasn’t the same thing. Approx 20 of 25 transfer records were after 2015. It says something about price development for quality players. I suppose Ole must have spent 20-30% more then LVG in order to get the same quality. That’s why it’s difficult to compare how much money managers spent in different periods. It isn’t straight forward:)

Great performance tonight, by the way. If we manage silver in PL and bring home a EL trophy, Ole has definitely exploited today’s potential of the team. Maybe we finally are among top-5 in the world:drool: We need to add three players to take the next step, top-3.

Sylar

He needs to be backed

Get him his original targets that he was after
Haaland like he wanted over a year ago (instead we got ighalo)
He wanted bellingham, he wanted Sancho, he wanted grealish

All not gettable but at least get one or two.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Playing Pogba on the left wing is a brilliant move. He would never effect the game like that in a double pivot. Add Shaw bombing up and down on that side making it a nightmare to play against. Well done on persisting on it too and not listening the likes of Robbie feckin Savage (or hysterical reactions here)

The only downside is Rashford on the right, but you can't have it all. Atm, advantages are far bigger with Cavani, Bruno and Pogba firing on all cylinders.

Roma was awful, but it is not just this game. He is proving his doubters wrong for the umpteenth time. Give him the money.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't give a feck about what people say, but our football is more entertaining than the likes of City, Pool, etc.

Add that kind of quality and depth, and watch out for regular fireworks

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No Donny is my only complain, which is not a complain at all, as we'll probably see him vs Pool and Roma 2nd leg.

AshRK

I won't lie i was frustrated at the half time. His lack of willingness to make changes is infuriating but what a second half. Brilliant just brilliant. Even first half we weren't that bad but second was just mint performance. Well done to the managing staff and the players.

justsomebloke

Your sale perspective is relevant, but it’s also important to remember a £50m investment in 2015 and 2019 wasn’t the same thing. Approx 20 of 25 transfer records were after 2015. It says something about price development for quality players. I suppose Ole must have spent 20-30% more then LVG in order to get the same quality. That’s why it’s difficult to compare how much money managers spent in different periods. It isn’t straight forward:)

Great performance tonight, by the way. If we manage silver in PL and bring home a EL trophy, Ole has definitely exploited today’s potential of the team. Maybe we finally are among top-5 in the world:drool: We need to add three players to take the next step, top-3.
My figures were off though (see previous posts). You're right about inflation being a highly relevant point to consider. And I think also about the need for another 3 or so additions.

Paul_Scholes18

Brilliant second half. Remind me about the game against Leeds last time. So strange that our game against Leeds was so dull and 0-0. It is typical us thougb a bit about going from extremes.
Pogba a big reason for the performance today. Him and Bruno just excellent. Cavani big performance.
Great response from halftime as well and I guess Ole must have said something since we raised the level second half.

I would say I think Ole should have made some earlier subs, but was not needed today. I guess with our first 11 starting we could do without Greenwood even if I wanted him on.

Hope we can put in a performance against Liverpool. We may not need it for the league, but it is always great to beat Liverpool. Big task for Ole if he rotates or keep the same 11.
I think Greenwood deserves a start, but Cavani should keep on playing I think. Would drop Rashford I think and he could need a rest. Rashford loves playing against Liverpool though.

matsdf

Games where we've scored 5 goals or more:
Moyes: 1 (Leverkusen)
LvG: 1 (Midtjylland)
Mourinho: 0
Solskjær: 9 (Cardiff, Bournemouth, Tranmere, Linz, Brugge, Leeds, Southampton, Leipzig, Roma)

I see a lot of people where onto this trend, sorry for reposting.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Cardiff 5-1
Tranmere 6-0
Brugge 5-0
LASK 5-0
Bournemouth 5-2
Liepzig 5-0
Leeds 6-2
Southampton 9-0
Roma 6-2

Certainly capable of handing out some pastings.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Without a doubt.
Yup, I think it's been obvious for a while too, been a long time since we looked genuinely difficult to play against and more importantly we're regaining that fear factor. We're also improving as a team, the confidence and mojo is coming back and our fitness seems excellent.

We've still got a lot of work to do to get back to where we were under Sir Alex, but we're clearly heading in the right direction at the moment.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Why a second half from him and the team my man. Absolutely gorgeous. Whatever he told them during half time it worked like charm.

Similar to how we turned the game on with a gorgeous second half against Spurs. He definitely can get a reaction out from the players after poor first half.

This second half was one of the most complete performance I have seen from us this season. Perfect in every single way.
Gave the players a bollocking at HT and it apparently worked

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's awesome. We need to back him, allow him to get players he wants and needs in the Summer and I genuinely think we could challenge for title/CL next year. So happy all his haters have gone into hiding, I couldn't enjoy their misery any more.

united for life

Can’t see why some fans still fail to give him credit. The way he’s handled the team since taking over is brilliant. Good signings in general, a better pogba, better shaw, fred, greenwood (the way he handled him this season shows his excellent man management). Anyone who say he lacks tactical sense is someone who just doesnt like being proven wrong. Really hope we win the europa league this year, ole, the players and us fans deserve it

SteveW

First log in of 2021 after basically giving up on the Caf

Is it now sensible on here or is the place still full of Ole out nutters???

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Surely his semi final curse is going to come to an end. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be pleased with how ruthless his team was. A final score of 4-2 would have given Roma some hope, they now need a miracle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.