Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Totally clueless and gutless. Any decent manager would have brought on Henderson for the penalties. And why did it even have to go to penalties in the first place? Simply not good enough. Conte or Pochettino must replace him immediately.

Superunknown

One of those games where you question the manager, the team, and the club, and wonder if they have the bottle or if they can do what it takes to win trophies and titles.

On this game, you'd be hard pressed to say that they do.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His absolute worst night as United manager.

His in-game management tonight was truly shocking. Looked like he had absolutely no plan or thought.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Conte is free. Allegri is free. Give me someone who knows what he is doing. Lets not ruin another season.
He is just out of depth. Emery is not some great manager but showed how you run the game.
Sack him ffs.

BlueHaze

Absolutely nothings going to change my opinion ever again on him he needs to go asap. I'm here 24/7 bitching about the owners and this guy is on par with them in terms of ability. I wanted him to go for ages but gave him the benefit of the doubt finishing 2nd and having a shot at a title. I said days ago if he doesn't bring this home he needs to go and that's it. If he can't beat Villareal with a title on the line he'll stand no chance challlenging for domestic titles.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
As much as I love Ole, and everything he did for us, this has to be the end of the road for him. Week in and week out were subject to the same stuff, he seems to think if he sticks with a failing formula, eventually it must come good.

fergosaurus

He got the lineup right but after that it was all downhill. Really terrible in-game management from him.

SAFMUTD

He's really limited in the managerial sense, outcoached by Emery in every single department today. We developed one way of playing with an specific XI, its that doesnt work then its game over. We could have no coach on the bench during games and it would change a thing.

MDFC Manager

He's not up to it, guys. I think he chose the right starting 11 but his management in the game was absolutely shocking. Completely shat the bed over the last couple of months or so.

I'm not sure persisting with him is an ideal situation.

ArjenIsM3

Totally clueless and gutless. Any decent manager would have brought on Henderson for the penalties. And why did it even have to go to penalties in the first place? Simply not good enough. Conte or Pochettino must replace him immediately.
That practically never happens. Just because Van Gaal did it and succeeded at it once doesn't mean it's standard practice :lol:

luke511

He sacrificed 45 minutes of fresh legs so he could bring penalty takers on, braindead stuff.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We will end up nowhere with Ole. Kind of compete but not really. He doesn’t make the hard calls, he likes to play Plan A everytime. Unai won the game for Villarreal making the subs when he did - we lost gas as we tired due to no freshness.

no excuse with having a poor bench, Villarreal had less talent at their disposal than us. It’s horrendous game management.

simple things cost Ole. Prepare for top 4 cup with Ole and nothing else. Pathetic

DE LIGT

This final was almost a carbon copy your local Vs. Burnly games yet he made the same mistakes over and over and over.

- Conceded from a set piece.
- Zero tactics and ideas against low block.
- Not doing subs, and even when was late and wrong.

Everyone knew how they were going to play yet we fell down to same old trick.
He’s a hard worker, our team looks much healthier and much motivated. But that never wins you trophies in the modern game.

Look-a-Hill

I have no issue with him staying for the short-term as our next appointment cannot be another knee-jerk reaction resulting in a shift in culture, but Ole's taken us as far as he's going to. He's done a good job and there's positivity around the club again, but we need someone who can stamp a footballing identity on us now.

Infra-red

Hasn't won a trophy in 8 years (and has never won anything outside of Norway).

Conte has won 5 league titles in England and Italy in that time. If he's available this summer and if we're serious about winning things again, we should make the change.

Nori-

Genuine questions here.........If it wasn't for Bruno, has Ole really improved the squad that much?

Take Bruno out of the equation and I really cant see a huge difference.

I'd get Ancelotti and start dreaming big again.

Womp

idiot
Right before Mason was subbed Rashford couldnt be arsed to track back causing Cavani to do that job for him. And Greenwood had the composure with the ball, Rashford wasnt even close. No excuse at all for keeping him on.
Rashford is better running in behind and is fast as feck. That's the only way this side knows how to play football, that's why he stayed on. He was hoping for Rashford to sprint onto the end of a through ball/counter and nick a goal.

stubie

Sorry Ole you lost me tonight with your stubbornness and relying on one moment of brilliance from Rashford than adapting to the pattern of the game. Still struggling to see his logic with his decision making tonight

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ole has done a lot right but, mentally, the players weren't at it today. Never really took the game to Villarreal. That's on the players in part but it's also on the coaching staff. I never saw real belief in these players tonight.

shahzy

I don't particularly like Conte's style but it's obvious he knows tactics and how to manage. He seems to be free soon. We have a manager that not even our own fanbase is entirely convinced knows tactics and how to set up a team. We probably should upgrade but who knows if we will

jesperjaap

People crying out for him to make substitutions....but who was there on the bench to bring on?

I think he has done well as a manager so far, do I think he is THE man, not su sure. But I dont blame him for losign this final. For me its the same two main problems.

Weaknesses in certain positions and concistency of quality performance individually within a game.

Phil

Same old weaknesses all to clear to see

- Can't out coach a team playing a low block
- Poor in game management
- Can't win a trophy

I want to stick up for him but apparently he's learned nothing through the time he's been here and this season specifically. I don't have faith in him as a manager.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I was told it's okay he lost semis against teams he wasn't expected to beat. City, Chelsea and Sevilla (apparently. Also did anyone use that excuse for Leicester against Chelsea?) What now? Clear favourites over Villarreal and he has 2 shots on target. One from distance and a deflected shot that fell at the feet of Cavani.

Worrying trend be just doesn't seem to get us over the line.
This is his 3rd season. It is not trend. It is reality. Guy just doesn't have skill to win stuff. When he is close, he bottles it. This is a joke now

RORY65

There's always been a slight dichotomy in my view of him over the last 18 months, in that I know deep down he's a subpar manager for a club like ours but at the same time he's done a solid job and it would be great to have a club legend get it right but I think tonight is pretty damaging to him. Not only because it adds to the idea that he can't get over the line (something I've actually been less worried about) but because it again exposed issues that have been their for a while (the lack of a clear plan or any energy to start games, an inability to defend set pieces and a stark lack of faith in his squad which can't help those players) in the biggest game he's had so far.

He's obviously under no pressure currently and probably fairly so given the job he's done but tonight will be a stick to beat him with if things don't start well next season.

90 + 5min

Very good season from Solskjaer and the staff. We should have had some trophy but that is expected next year.

Dramatic and hatefull comments here after losing final doesn't change that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
My stance on Ole has been this for years. He's done plenty of necessary good here. Changed the culture back, got rid of a lot of shite, made us more like United again. I just don't feel he's the man to win us major trophies.

There isn't a manager on the planet I'd rather win the league with. Genuinely not. But I just don't see it.

I'm desperate for Fergie to see us lift a title and pass the medals out or something before his time is up.

Fooza

He won't get sacked, but he will eventually.I just wish it isn't a long drought till we realise he isn't the man to take us to that next level and win trophies.

Ole - you've done a great job steadying the ship and getting CL spots but time's about to end.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It looks to me that this is about as far as he can take us, he's done well to build up a competitive squad and one that I genuinely believe with a few additions could win the league, just not with him at the helm.
I don't think Ole was ever going to be the one that took us to 'that' level, he was always going to be the one that took us so far for someone else to take us the rest of the way

Question is is now the time for that someone else? It may well be...

Status
Not open for further replies.