Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What do people who go on about patterns of play really want? Do they really just want predictability and an assurance that they may know what is going to happen next.

I find teams that play patterns designed to the process or the system incredibly boring and predictable and it being mostly predictable is what makes it boring to me. It's more boring than watching a team just lump it long, that's still a system and a process and there is a pattern to it. I genuinely found peak Spain and Barcelona incredibly boring to watch.

I don't understand why so many people seem to want this so badly. You end up watching a team try the same thing over and over and over until it pays off. Then you get a goal and go back to trying the same patterns over and over and over again.
Because it's patterns and not just 1 pattern? You see systems of plays and a range of attacking ways in which teams consistently hurt opponents.

We had that as well under Fergie's best years and I don't think anyone found it particularly boring to be honest. But each to their own.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe Ole can do the Portugal job on the side? Got better link up between Ronaldo and Bruno than Santos has in one game

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yup. That exact one. They're a joyless lot over on that particular corner of football twitter...
The guy is one of the worst analytics posters who posts about actual football.

I loved his description of the 4 goals yesterday, and what he basically is implying is that if you didn't score from a cut back against a low block, you didn't really find a way around it

anant

Nope, dont buy it, clubs are far from well run and using the way the operate as any example for anything is not the way to go. Id mtrust my own eyes long before i trust those scouting networks.

Im not saying some stats guru on twitter would do better, what im saying is you cant invalidate someones opinion on the basis of how clubs are run given how so many clubs underperform on a regular basis.
Right, but in that case let's make it somewhat equal to favour the club's scouts as well. There are a ton of players our fans have said "Sign him, too good to ignore", etc. How many of those players are genuinely elite players?

rotherham_red

Nope, dont buy it, clubs are far from well run and using the way the operate as any example for anything is not the way to go. Id mtrust my own eyes long before i trust those scouting networks.

Im not saying some stats guru on twitter would do better, what im saying is you cant invalidate someones opinion on the basis of how clubs are run given how so many clubs underperform on a regular basis.
Well, football is an inherently unpredictable game, and it is a big reason why so many of these stats and tactical system guys on Twitter fall short in their analysis. They don't seem to be able to comprehend that particular quality of the sport. Where one player can thrive in one environment and not another, or where a system can be let down in its execution, or how better players allow you to become better etc.

So on that basis, yes I can invalidate their opinions because if they were any good, they'd be getting paid for them and not bloviating on Twitter.

rotherham_red

The guy is one of the worst analytics posters who posts about actual football.

I loved his description of the 4 goals yesterday, and what he basically is implying is that if you didn't score from a cut back against a low block, you didn't really find a way around it
It's hilarious. We scored more goals last season in all competitions since 2006/7 (which for me, was the apex of Utd under Fergie, despite the next season being the one with the CL) but if you listen to Kees, you'd think we're lucky to be midtable.

rotherham_red

Right, but in that case let's make it somewhat equal to favour the club's scouts as well. There are a ton of players our fans have said "Sign him, too good to ignore", etc. How many of those players are genuinely elite players?
Oh God, I'm getting flashbacks to Schneiderlin and Darmian, the latter of whom especially, was a Twitter favourite in 2014...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah pretty much. I said something recently on Twitter about some stats guy (supposedly a Utd fan) who constantly denigrates Utd under Ole for having no plan and our results being unsustainable, that the way he talks about us, you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're Burnley, and not the team who was behind only Man City in points accrued since January 2020, and I think since Ole first joined in his caretaker stint we've been comfortably third on that metric as well, behind only the all conquering Liverpool and City sides.

That alone should tell you that what we're doing under Ole is pretty fecking sustainable, no?

Another corker was this absolute toilet water of a tweet:

Like seriously, what does that even mean? :houllier: :lol:
Weird, I suppose we can cancel transfer windows now then, the players you have are of secondary importance.

Sylar

there are plenty of examples that show the team has been coached well to do the following:
- Play with a specific style in most games (building from the back, using overlapping fullbacks to create overloads in wide areas, and committing defenders in one-on-one duels to create space);
- Play intricate, one-touch passing to break down a low block (as was seen with Lingard's goal today and multiple goals last season);
- Improve attaching and defending set pieces (only four games in, you can already see a massive difference in both boxes);
- Adapt to games against superior opposition to play highly effective counter-attacking football (see our last three victories against City, and our FA Cup victory against Liverpool last season).
I agree with this. I think you could see when Ole came in, he was looking for the playing from the back, hence why he started with I believe Jones and Lindelof (and why he was trying to ease Smalling out).
The passing from the back is much better since hes come in, but there have been glaring obvious mistakes (and its a lot of the time individual mistakes, as weve seen with Pogba, Fred, sometimes the keeper (think we ve seen it from DDG and Henderson), who take an extra touch and give opposition time to close it down or turning the wrong way.

With regards to the set pieces, you can see its a huge difference to, and thats one thing weve improved by getting a new coach to work on that.

There are obvious weaknesses. We are vulnerable to counter-attacks due to structural issues in midfield, and we do not have a coordinated system of pressing to win the ball back quickly after losing it. We also suffer against low blocks sometimes because of the aforementioned style that encourages one-on-one take-ons, which means when our attackers are in poor form we can look blunt. We also lack, in my opinion, a universal understanding among the team of where attackers should run in the final third to make space, and we sometimes have issues progressing the ball up the pitch for the same reason.
Part of me thinks this is the personnel. Weve seen Ole mention it with regards to striker runs, and there are times when it happens, but then a lot of times when it doesnt. I think this is why Ole is happy to have Ronaldo and Cavani, the runs they make off the ball is different to people like Martial who wants the ball to feet.
With regards to the pressing, I agree, its not always in co-ordination, and I think that comes with a training plan.
The counter-attacks, I think if Matic has legs (eg yesterday), one or two at least would have been snuffed out before there was a chance. You can see matic can read the game, but at times, people can just jog by him and hes done.

The above tactical limitations are what our direct rivals for the title this season (Chelsea and City) excel at, and that, in short, is why there are and should be legitimate reservations about Ole's ability to beat those teams to the title. Ole is not a bad coach. You don't get where you are by being a bad coach. He just isn't in the absolute top bracket of coaches; a bracket that in my opinion, only includes five our six managers. The problem is that three of them manage our direct rivals. In almost any other era, I would be supremely confident that Ole could win the league with this team. The problem isn't that he's no good. The problem is that, compared to what we're up against, he may not be quite good enough.
We will see, because his head to head against the managers is mostly excellent. The issue is over the length of a season and needing to turn the draws into wins. For the first time hes got a squad (mostly thanks to him) where you would be confident this can happen. Its almost a given we would have had James or Martial in for Ronaldo before the signing. But you can see the difference against the 'lesser' teams that will have.
City, chelsea and Liverpool all have players that would help, we now can match that.

The one big difference between us and those teams is the 'defensive midfield' side. Id say the other three teams have a much better choice for that hence why Ole tends to go McFred for the big games.
Obviously all three direct rivals for the league have European Cup winning managers too, so I do wonder if having one of those three managers would make a difference in the points you said, OR if having that one player would make a difference. It could be a combination of both of course.

He has other key qualities that may make up for the above coaching limitations. He is, by all accounts, an outstanding man manager (see getting Pogba onside, getting players up for big games during some of our lowest points), and an even better squad builder (like honestly, this team on paper is world class). Will this, with the individual quality of Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, and De Gea, be enough to overcome the above tactical deficiencies and win us the league? That's what the next eight months should tell us.

But to my broader point; stop being a twitter critic; if you want to criticise Ole, introduce a bit of nuance into your analysis. This could apply to a lot of regulars on this thread... on both sides of the debate.
I think youvebeen fair with your post and why its a good post. But it seems posts like yours will not lead to discussion unfortunately, whereas OTT ones will, for some reason.

Kyonn

Remember when he was a PE teacher completely out of his depth who wouldn’t last six months? Now he’s the perfect Glazer stooge good enough to guarantee you top 4 but not good enough to win trophies. He’s also cheating because unlike his predecessors who spent hundreds of millions he hasn’t pissed it up the wall and he keeps making great signings who win him games. What a sneaky cnut he is. I mean at this rate if we give him another few windows we may end up with the best squad of players in Europe…we can’t have that can we?
/Thread

anant

It's hilarious. We scored more goals last season in all competitions since 2006/7 (which for me, was the apex of Utd under Fergie, despite the next season being the one with the CL) but if you listen to Kees, you'd think we're lucky to be midtable.
What's more amazing is that even last season, we pretty much beat every low block team bar the odd results vs Palace and WBA and SHU. Hell, Pool dropped more points against these teams than us. But still, it's "we got lucky there"

I mean I don't even know how to react to such a tweet. Till last season, we were complaining that our coaches haven't taught strikers to be at the right place and anticipate where the ball will end up for the 1st goal. Scoring on a transition is one of the most effective ways and it just seems that he's missing the play before Shaw's pass to Ronaldo which was brilliant. 3rd goal - I agree was individual brilliance, but even in that case, the pass by Dave was perfect and led to the goal - Ederson makes the pass and we'll be fawning on that. And 4th goal, despite being a tiki taka goal shouldn't be counted because it came late in the game.

Even Amadeus would be proud of this sort of oversimplification

rotherham_red

I can understand people without agreeing with them - in some respects. If people say - "I am not convinced Ole will take us to the title". or "I don't think Ole is good enough to dethrone Pep, Klopp or Tuchel." or maybe even "I think we should play more fluent football with the players we have" - fine, I dont have a problem with that. I may not agree with it - but those are criticisms I can understand people have.

The problem is much of the criticism aimed towards Ole has been over the top at best. That he is too nice (a Glazer-stooge), that he is incompetent, that he couldn't attract big players. That we rely on individual talent (a lot of the talent he acquired btw) etc etc

And in a game where we win 4-1 (without Rashford, Cavani, McTominay and with Fred on the bench most likely due to the Covid-situation) as well as Sancho being nowhere near his best - it seems strange to make a big deal out of the fact that our football wasn't breathtaking. I watched Chelsea got torn to shreds in the first half against Villa - and were unfortunate not to be a couple of goals ahead at half-time. Some of these people who criticize Ole after the Newcastle-game, would applaud Tuchel for being tactical, and a winner.

But does it really matter if you win due to a well-oiled team, compared to a team that is so stocked with individual quality that they win big even on an off-day ?

I think of it as like this - with Sancho being really poor, with Rashford out, with no central midfield - we still destroyed Newcastle, despite not playing well. Imagine how much potential there is in that team when we are at our strongest. Complain when things dont go well, dont do it when we win by 4-1
This encapsulates it for me. Chelsea were decidedly more dodgy in their win yesterday, do you reckon their fans are having this level of introspection over their result, or do you think they're enjoying the result? Heck, I'm seeing nothing in terms of scrutiny from the opposition fans to it either, whereas Ole seems to just get it every time.

Like I said, Ole can never win, when when he does.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Haven't teams with a set style of play not far more often won the CL than not over the past 10 years? If you think of Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real, Bayern.
All of those teams changed the way they played when they added different players though. Chelsea will with Lukaku. United under Ole have too. Too much is made of the whole thing IMO. Modern football fans think coaches can control every aspect of what players do during a football match

rotherham_red

What's more amazing is that even last season, we pretty much beat every low block team bar the odd results vs Palace and WBA and SHU. Hell, Pool dropped more points against these teams than us. But still, it's "we got lucky there"

I mean I don't even know how to react to such a tweet. Till last season, we were complaining that our coaches haven't taught strikers to be at the right place and anticipate where the ball will end up for the 1st goal. Scoring on a transition is one of the most effective ways and it just seems that he's missing the play before Shaw's pass to Ronaldo which was brilliant. 3rd goal - I agree was individual brilliance, but even in that case, the pass by Dave was perfect and led to the goal - Ederson makes the pass and we'll be fawning on that. And 4th goal, despite being a tiki taka goal shouldn't be counted because it came late in the game.

Even Amadeus would be proud of this sort of oversimplification
Such an AIDS opinion FFS.

Literally nothing is ever going to be enough for them. Sometimes I wonder why do they even watch football. Is it to be entertained or to validate their opinions? If watching Utd causes them so much angst, why don't they just switch over and find some other hobby?

matsdf

Haven't teams with a set style of play not far more often won the CL than not over the past 10 years? If you think of Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real, Bayern.
Zidane's Real didn't really have a "set style of play", did it? At least not vastly more set in it's style than Ole's United.

RooneyLegend

Well, football is an inherently unpredictable game, and it is a big reason why so many of these stats and tactical system guys on Twitter fall short in their analysis. They don't seem to be able to comprehend that particular quality of the sport. Where one player can thrive in one environment and not another, or where a system can be let down in its execution, or how better players allow you to become better etc.

So on that basis, yes I can invalidate their opinions because if they were any good, they'd be getting paid for them and not bloviating on Twitter.
Neither can the guys that are getting paid to do the job with all manner of resources available to them. Look at us for example, when was the last time we made a successful under the radar signing?

You cant know just like the clubs can't know whether they are any good hence you can't invalidate their opinions.

Oranges038

Because it's patterns and not just 1 pattern? You see systems of plays and a range of attacking ways in which teams consistently hurt opponents.

We had that as well under Fergie's best years and I don't think anyone found it particularly boring to be honest. But each to their own.
There was a greater variation in how Utd played under Fergie. I would say there was more of an emphasis on players identifiying triggers during different phases of play rather than the rehearsed set patterns we see from City and Liverpool.

RooneyLegend

Im pretty sure fans have done about anyone with any semblence of talent given how many fans there is. So pretty much every player was once that for supporters.

What i do know is many players fail at big clubs and all those clubs have extensive scouting networks. Some succeed too which teams you despite their resources and credentials they can't be all that great at what they do. Its all a bit too hit and miss to dismiss anyones opinion thats all im saying.

RooneyLegend

Individual ability is the best way to beat a team with a low block. That has always been the case and these fancy patterns of play tend to be a waste of time in that scenario. You need guys who can play ambitious balls over the top or wide men who can eliminate numbers thus causing disruptions im the defensive organisation.

Pattarns of play with great automations are far more important in tit for tat games. As we know you have to have both to compete for titles. Currently i have no doubt we'll be moving all parked buses with Pognandes and Sancho around, the question is whether we'll be able to deal with the teams that challange us technically.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I called them lunatics more than once. Apart from that, I try to ignore them because I'd like to not read the same stuff over and over again and the main contributor to this, as pointed out in the post you quoted, aren't the critics but the supporters, who jump in in numbers at every opportunity. I am serious, I don't like the over the top criticism and I think it is extremely childish, but a lot of the defenders are acting the same.
But so what? I'd rather positivity than incessant over the top negativity...

Giggsyking

Why do people think your perfectly reasonable criticisms are negative? What on Earth could lead them to think this?
I stand at the same position to what I think about him. This is not negativity, it is called opinion based on facts, you on the other hand are just here to bully people so I dont think you must be taken seriously and your opinions are only sentimentality driven. He is the weakest point in this team.

Giggsyking

See above
Nope, did not answer my question. Why do you think opinions that do not suit your point of view is negativity. I have given you my reasons. What the wum did "above" is just poor attention seeking. It is negativity when my opinion affect the manager directly, do you think Ole reads the red cafe thread?

tomaldinho1

In fairness, we played CL football every year so would be interesting to work this out when we’re not factoring in hammering teams like Granada or Sociedad and extra EL games.

Raven

I stand at the same position to what I think about him. This is not negativity, it is called opinion based on facts, you on the other hand are just here to bully people so I dont think you must be taken seriously and your opinions are only sentimentality driven. He is the weakest point in this team.
Opinion based on facts :lol:

Perhaps I've missed something but which facts have you presented in this thread?

georgipep

I strongly disagree. Stats are absolutely spot on for long term observations. Stats are not intended to predict single games or in match events. But they do show a very accurate picture of underlying trends and tendencies.

Another great benefit of data compared to "the eye test" is the elimination of bias, not being able to observe every single player at all times and just not understanding every single action on the field.

anant

I strongly disagree. Stats are absolutely spot on for long term observations. Stats are not intended to predict single games or in match events. But they do show a very accurate picture of underlying trends and tendencies.

Another great benefit of data compared to "the eye test" is the elimination of bias, not being able to observe every single player at all times and just not understanding every single action on the field.
I agree with this, however, the issue is when some analysts on FT stop using stats and use eye test to come up with an agenda.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs

I think that's an incorrect inference to take from stats. They're a tool, sometimes they tell us useful information if they're modeled and interpreted correctly in very specific contexts, but most of it is just raw data that is, for the most part, meaningless. In a sport as chaotic as football a lot of coincidence and unpredictability happens than people who study stats often are willing to admit.

Crashoutcassius

Took a step backward today by starting Martial, who either isn’t physically fit or mentally interested in what Ole is trying to build. Some players need an arm around the shoulder and others need their arse kicked. I worry that Ole can’t tell which, when.
How man management has been elite. Martial one of the rare examples of players who have struggled

Zen86

I think that's an incorrect inference to take from stats. They're a tool, sometimes they tell us useful information if they're modeled and interpreted correctly in very specific contexts, but most of it is just raw data that is, for the most part, meaningless. In a sport as chaotic as football a lot of coincidence and unpredictability happens than people who study stats often are willing to admit.
Stats are factual, the interpretation of them is not. People forget that the latter is the important bit and not many people are good at it.

Last edited:

georgipep

When I say data and stats, I think of insights and data that has been interpreted. And in that sense, I fully agree with you, except the part about the chaotic sport. Actually, football is quite predictable on a macro level. And the data clearly shows it ;)

NZT-One

A bit ironic, this.
Always nice to make you smile.

This is a really key point that so many overlook. There is undoubtedly merit in the way that Pep (for example) has a way that he wants to play and its incredibly difficult to implement that structure, but the flipside to that is that by now everybody knows how to beat City. There is a specific gameplan which works against every football team, but with a team as good as City are very few possess the right tools to get there. Its why they have struggled to win the CL. At the very top level those opponents all have the tools and the know-how and it levels the playing field.

Point being, there are certain advantages to being flexible. United were having a lot of joy in countering opponents, and last season our opponents stopped giving us the space. The result was a bunch of 0-0's against the top 4. We have to do something different, and we've added some tools to our squad this summer. Varane adds pace to the defence, Ronaldo is, well, Ronaldo and Sancho will prove to be a little more delicate around the box than our other wide forwards. What I like most about our squad building is the options it gives us. I dont want United to have a set style of play
What really hurt us wasn't the 0-0 against the top4. It was not being able to create good chances against Sheffield, Westbrom, Villareal and Leicester. Regarding the "set style" topic, see below.

Exactly. I know Ole saying "go out there and have fun" is a bit of a cliche, and some people might take it a bit to far, but there is some truth to it and there is also some merit to that way of playing.

A more structured way of playing or "patterns of play" as everyone is yearning for has its benefits, but so does playing with more freedom, and both of them also has their own drawbacks.

During the LvG years we were very structured, but that did not produce good results or even good football apart from a few notable games. Also, coaches who are very system heavy in their approach often have much stricter requirments on what players they can utillize effectively. Pep for example needs players who are techincally proficient and good with the ball in tight areas. If he tried to do that with Burnely, they would fail spectacularly as you cant play tiki-taka with a bunch of brawny thugs

Being more flexible makes you more unpredicable, and truly creative players really thrive in such systems. The drawback is that you become very dependant on those players, and if they have a bad drop in form or become injured, they are almost impossible to replace and you will struggle badly with creativity
Which is exactly what we have seen last season. And what has hurt us to a big degree. Only this should at least be a little trigger to overthink a stance that is 100% percent freedom and unpredicability. Some people undeniably thrive in it, but who know how many would thrive with more instructions, with more safety nets, less decisions to make?

Nothing wrong with being flexible. The issue arises, when you are not able to create good chances against Westbrom, Sheffield, Turkish side and for example Newcastle last year, what happened there, why is a team full of players of that quality not able to create anything of note?
I don't think, you will find many people who just want to switch to rigid patterns but rigid patterns might help more of our players than you think. I am not denying that Oles way is bringing out the best of Fernandes, maybe also the best out of Pogba as well, lets see. But we have many players who might benefit big time from having clearer instructions about what to do and how.
It is no coincidence, that we so often are described as being slow, ponderous in passing, take too many touches. This is a result of our players having to assess all options in every situation. With more instructions, players could be relieved of that - "if the LB gets the ball, one of the CMs comes short, the CB will always make sure to be a passing option, LW will make a run, Bruno will make himself available". We are doing this on the fly and it is great to watch, when it comes off but last year it didn't come off in a reliable way. That is the issue many have. You just have to watch how comfortable teams like Brighton or for example Villareal are with the ball, they move it around, move as units. Imagine what might be able with players like ours when this is possible with players of Brightons quality!

You are all are right, other teams are also not having field days every matchweek. Of course the scrutiny is bigger after watching 90min of football than after watching a 3min summary. All is completely correct, but one factor needs to be kept in mind with all that: up to now, we were never able to win the big games, this might change this season, lets hope so, but lets not act, as if last season did not have some very disappointing moments. In the big picture, these moments might not stick out for some of you, but they do for others.
And, last season is great to have a look at one thing: with all the talk of Ole and Klopp, Pep and Tuchel - If you look at the xG (and xGA) for each match, these teams are very good in creating chances and in stopping opponents to create chances. Of course this is only a fraction of the whole picture, but it is an undeniable part of it. This year, we already had one of those matches, against Wolves and we could have easily lost that. That isn't a stick to beat Ole with, but it is an indicator of something, that should be engaged with as it isn't a new issue. It was clear last year, we would need extra coaching for set pieces, we got it in the summer, I hope, we can be a bit more proactive engaging with such things.

But does it really matter if you win due to a well-oiled team, compared to a team that is so stocked with individual quality that they win big even on an off-day ?
It doesn't if you look at one game for itself. When you look over a longer period of time, I think, it is obvious that a well oiled team as big advantages. I think, this is something, that might be overlooked somehow, a lot of the criticism, that comes up (even after games like yesterday) stems from things, that have been criticised for a long time. And the inability to create good chances has prevented us from trashing Villareal whose players were physically done after 60 to 70 minutes. The inability to circulate the ball takes a big share for us not being able to control the match against Leipzig in the CL. These issues are having an effect. They should be engaged with. Pointing that out, should never be seen as negativity.

Strelok

Took a step backward today by starting Martial, who either isn’t physically fit or mentally interested in what Ole is trying to build. Some players need an arm around the shoulder and others need their arse kicked. I worry that Ole can’t tell which, when.
Based on his records with our previous managers and Ole I don't really think it's the case here. Tbh I have no idea what's wrong with him, probably he's just that and none would do a damn thing to motivate him but himself. Imo he's a typically unambitious guy, who got too much fame and money at an early age. Very hard to motivate those.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Datasets over time is used in sports to get a idea of how you're performing. The time factor allows you to remove factors such as chance and circumstance that is generated every game. For example you can't reasonably predict that De Gea will let the worlds softest goal in. But you can over 37 more games predict that he's going to have a save% of x. Even events from chaos have a variable which you can predict with a reasonable degree of accuracy over time.

Analystmodels apply rules to all such events so that they can be used with good accuracy. Removing things like viewer and recency bias for example, which is probably the least helpful tool of all: Heated opinion.

I suppose youre arguing about the usage. For example a pass% of 85% doesn't tell you that the opposing team was 2011 Barcelona and they harried the team all game, as opposed to 85% v Norwich, which is objectively poor. But good analysts account for the opposing team as well.

Tools such as heatmaps are useful for the obvious, but if the gameplan was different, we can use datasets to analyze what exactly happened that cause the game to flow out of the expected, whereas historical shot% accuracy in x distance is useful for determining how many screamers Bruno is likely to make against x opposition who presses so and so. It gets complicated, but with the right rules you can find a lot of answers. Everything is maths after all.

I enjoy stats in games like hockey and the NHL, a sport that is defined by chaos and unpredictability. To a point, because even in a sport as fast paced and chaotic as hockey, the same players will always produce an expected number

NZT-One

But so what? I'd rather positivity than incessant over the top negativity...
Yeah fine and you are the hundredth person to say that. At some point, you should realize, that this won't come by telling others that you think, they should do. I am sorry, I do not see the issue to the extent, some of you see it. Over the top criticism has always been there it belongs to football like it does to every sport. If you really want to do something against negativity, talk to the mods, think of ways to keep that in check. This constant appealing is obviously not working - try another approach, try to ignore the bullshit, use the ignore function of this very platform, create threads that are "safe-zones" if you feel that is necessary for your mental "health".

If you want positivity, the internet isn't the right place for you. I don't love that fact as well, but it is what it is. Either accept that and make your peace with it or do yourself a favor and stop visiting certain threads.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Stats are factual, the interpretation of them is not. People forget that the latter is the important bit.
Well no. Raw data is raw data. Interpretation is what makes it information that can be used and applied in meaningful ways.

So often what people call "facts" are data that people have already interpreted, often implicitly. Because, well, raw stats don't mean anything - they're just numbers. For example, take the xG stat. If a team has a higher xG - it is a fact that that team has a high xG. Nothing more and nothing less. What exactly that high xG means in relation to the team's performance is something layered with tons of interpretation of things like "what kind of chances are we trying to create?", "how clinical are we expecting our strikers to be", "what is our quality of players" etc. so the same stats may mean completely different things in different contexts. So to use such stats across teams to make predictions and judgements about different teams is fraught with danger and ripe for misuse via lack of understanding. And often the people that use them wrongly come armed with solid confidence in their stance based on their implicit interpretation of the stats.

NZT-One

Datasets over time is used in sports to get a idea of how you're performing. The time factor allows you to remove factors such as chance and circumstance that is generated every game. For example you can't reasonably predict that De Gea will let the worlds softest goal in. But you can over 37 more games predict that he's going to have a save% of x. Even events from chaos have a variable which you can predict with a reasonable degree of accuracy over time.

Analystmodels apply rules to all such events so that they can be used with good accuracy. Removing things like viewer and recency bias for example, which is probably the least helpful tool of all: Heated opinion.

I suppose youre arguing about the usage. For example a pass% of 85% doesn't tell you that the opposing team was 2011 Barcelona and they harried the team all game, as opposed to 85% v Norwich, which is objectively poor. But good analysts account for the opposing team as well.

Tools such as heatmaps are useful for the obvious, but if the gameplan was different, we can use datasets to analyze what exactly happened that cause the game to flow out of the expected, whereas historical shot% accuracy in x distance is useful for determining how many screamers Bruno is likely to make against x opposition who presses so and so. It gets complicated, but with the right rules you can find a lot of answers. Everything is maths after all.

I enjoy stats in games like hockey and the NHL, a sport that is defined by chaos and unpredictability. To a point, because even in a sport as fast paced and chaotic as hockey, the same players will always produce an expected number
I like that post. I think, you are right, data only has value when the person who is using it, knows what its limitations are. Currently, statistics are not able to display everything on a football pitch. But they might get there over time.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs

Don't get me wrong. I love stats. And I think they're really really useful. But I think people who don't understand where they come from and the models underneath can often misuse them, with complete confidence bordering on arrogance. And I think footballing journalism is rife with such cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.