Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewUser777

Questions will continue to be raised as long as the team remains lesser than the sum of its individual parts. Good players under great managers will appear to be great players to the casual observer because the tactics of the team will maximise their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. This is the reason why players like Jorginho, Henderson and TAA were considered to be among the world's best in their positions during their UCL winning seasons. Individually Matip and Christensen are not as good as Varane but the system they are playing under makes them appear to be better defenders than Varane.
For me, that's what it all boils down to. A good system will convert good players into great players. A bad tactical system will convert even great players into average players.
And given our performances this season, its not hard to guess that the tactical system we have in place is anything but good.Park the bus and long ball to rashford/ronaldo are not tactics that are sustainable.
Will they? I remember the same thing with Liverpool and Klopp. They where very inconsistent before all pars where in place. Last piece of the puzzle was the midfield. Same with City. Pep was being found out by premier league before he got his last peice of the puzzle. People have short memory.

L1nk

& yet Wenger singled out Fred as being one of our better players, maybe trained professional coaches know more than we do?

In 1 half of 1 game... oh wait I forgot how this forum works, you have a decent half in 1 match or maybe 1 decent match in 10 overall and that absolves you of the dross you put out on the regular, infact the higher ups seem to agree with this forum because all it ever does is give these average players new contracts so, you're right maybe I am in the wrong

Max_United

Will they? I remember the same thing with Liverpool and Klopp. They where very inconsistent before all pars where in place. Last piece of the puzzle was the midfield. Same with City. Pep was being found out by premier league before he got his last peice of the puzzle. People have short memory.
Pep and Klopp had history of success and earned patience. Besides, it was obvious from the start what are they working towards in terms of playing style. Pep won the league in his second season. Klopp inherited a team that was midtable and was 6th the season before - so in worst state than United after Mourinho. In his first full season Klopp returned Liverpool to top four and reached Europa League final. In his second full season he reached CL final. And the progress was there to see. Once he got better players the transition was complete. In his third full season they were great. Whereas with Ole now in his third full season we got better players - but are playing worse than last season. And he does not have remotely comparable CV to those two to suggest that he could bring us forward.

Revan

Assumptionman
He still scored one of the most important goals and arguably the most famous in United’s history.
And his legend status as player will always be there. The fans will also continue singing his song, most likely even already in the first game after his sacking.
They can separate the player from the manager.
The same way Dalglish or Lampard will always remain club legends.
To be fair, Dalglish did not suck as manager. Won three leagues and a few other trophies.

I guess it depends how long Ole remains as manager. If gets sacked quickly, probably is all gonna fine. If the misery continues for another couple of seasons, he’ll be closer to our Souness than our Dalglish. And most of Liverpool fans do not like Souness.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In 1 half of 1 game... oh wait I forgot how this forum works, you have a decent half in 1 match or maybe 1 decent match in 10 overall and that absolves you of the dross you put out on the regular, infact the higher ups seem to agree with this forum because all it ever does is give these average players new contracts so, you're right maybe I am in the wrong
Yeah you’ve absolutely nailed this forum mate. One half game and everyone is super optimistic and overrating all of our players again. Beaming with optimism. Glass half full. Sunshine and light.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
To be fair, Dalglish did not suck as manager. Won three leagues and a few other trophies.

I guess it depends how long Ole remains as manager. If gets sacked quickly, probably is all gonna fine. If the misery continues for another couple of seasons, he’ll be closer to our Souness than our Dalglish. And most of Liverpool fans do not like Souness.
I obviously meant Dalglish being their manager for the 2nd time.
And again, Ole as manager won’t have anything to do with Ole’s legendary status as a player, regardless of if he is getting sacked soon or not.

Revan

Assumptionman
I obviously meant Dalglish being their manager for the 2nd time.
And again, Ole as manager won’t have anything to do with Ole’s legendary status as a player, regardless of if he is getting sacked soon or not.
Of course, it will. As currently Ole's status as a manager is related to his status as a legendary player. Otherwise, he would not have got the job here in the first place, and would have got significantly less support.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Of course, it will. As currently Ole's status as a manager is related to his status as a legendary player. Otherwise, he would not have got the job here in the first place, and would have got significantly less support.
You might like it to be like that, but again it won’t. The treble is a unique achievement not only in United’s history but also in England and his goal sealed it in dramatic fashion. Unless United fans are willing to erase this from memory Ole will always remain a legend.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Those Bruno quotes are pretty interesting. It's impossible not to see that he's demanding improvement from the coaching staff and manager. Surprised it's not generated a new thread and discussion - any doubt about the veracity of the interview?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
You might like it to be like that, but again it won’t. The treble is a unique achievement not only in United’s history but also in England and his goal sealed it in dramatic fashion. Unless United fans are willing to erase this from memory Ole will always remain a legend.
Completely agree.Lampard will always be remembered for his playing days, not the inexperienced manager in way over his head.

Kostov

Nobody bothered to ask Wenger what he thought about Fred’s first half performance so it didn’t happen :lol:

Foxbatt

Completely agree.Lampard will always be remembered for his playing days, not the inexperienced manager in way over his head.
That is because he was sacked before he could ruin the whole thing. When Robson was having a hard time at Boro they brought in Terry Venables to help him out. United could have done with someone like Quiroz to help him instead of Phelan who did not have a good reputation as a coach.

Blood Mage

Telling United fans to stop moaning, downplaying title hopes, he just can't handle the pressure and wants to keep expectations low.

Womp

idiot
He was saying we needed to contend for the title this season before it even started though? Seems like a man who realised he isn't good enough and is back tracking now

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I will back Ole until the club get rid but I need to remember not to watch his press conferences as they make me feel very negative towards him.

NK86

What exactly is he doing the last 3 years if he feels we need more to catch up with Liverpool. I can bet he will be parroting the same line next season too even if we get a prime Makelele for him in midfield.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He was saying we needed to contend for the title this season before it even started though? Seems like a man who realised he isn't good enough and is back tracking now
I think this is it too. Ole is very clever with downplaying standards while using the right buzzwords. He twice mentioned we are trying to reach Liverpool level and we only finished above then last year due to injuries. Nothing has changed from last year even with all the signings and talk of progress.

AndySmith1990

That is because he was sacked before he could ruin the whole thing. When Robson was having a hard time at Boro they brought in Terry Venables to help him out. United could have done with someone like Quiroz to help him instead of Phelan who did not have a good reputation as a coach.
Quiroz is more qualified to manage United than Solskjaer is. Why would he work as his assistant?

Max_United

I think this is it too. Ole is very clever with downplaying standards while using the right buzzwords. He twice mentioned we are trying to reach Liverpool level and we only finished above then last year due to injuries. Nothing has changed from last year even with all the signings and talk of progress.
So Ole supporters are hailing us finishing 2nd last season as some great achievement and Ole himself admits that we were lucky to do so. How ironic :)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I can see why people are disappointed in this line. But equally, people on here would ridicule him if he said we are in the title race.

He's probably just trying to deflect pressure from the players before the big game against Liverpool.
It's basic self preservation. Reduce pressure and expectations so the job he is doing looks better.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What ever he said would be wrong
You could say that for individual statements but there is a consistent pattern with Ole. He said similar last year when we were top in January with a home game against Sheffield united to come.

Anyways a win this Sunday will help his case massively and give the side much needed momentum and belief heading into this tough run. A loss and it could all come tumbling down. Probably get a draw.

lex talionis

Man for man you wouldn’t say Chelsea are better than our squad overall yet their play is substantially superior. They are so much more cohesive in their play, third and even fourth players making runs and receiving the ball in threatening positions. United, on the other hand, show no cohesion at all, each player wondering what to do with the ball once they receive it, the other 9 outfield players watching, wondering the same.

I came to the conclusion late, but we clearly need a manage who can instill in the players cohesion, coordinated purpose.

Roboc7

I can see why people are disappointed in this line. But equally, people on here would ridicule him if he said we are in the title race.

He's probably just trying to deflect pressure from the players before the big game against Liverpool.
Results have to do the talking now, if he spoke about us being in a title race it would be comical at the moment but his tried and tested rebuild/reboot lines have expired now. It’s put up or shut up.

Sviken

Man for man you wouldn’t say Chelsea are better than our squad overall yet their play is substantially superior. They are so much more cohesive in their play, third and even fourth players making runs and receiving the ball in threatening positions. United, on the other hand, show no cohesion at all, each player wondering what to do with the ball once they receive it, the other 9 outfield players watching, wondering the same.

I came to the conclusion late, but we clearly need a manage who can instill in the players cohesion, coordinated purpose.
This is the thing. All anyone needs to look how important coaching is, is to look how bad Chelsea played with Lampard and how well they play now post-Lampard. The difference in quality is night and day and the players are the same. Their defence organization is unbelievable, Tuchel has truly transformed that backline into an absolute class with bang average players.

We still sit here and talk about how Ronaldo's pressing is basically making us lose when Lukaku has similar pressing stats and it doesn't seem to hurt Chelsea at all. They've barely conceded 3 goals this season, even playing 10 men against Liverpool. In contrast, we concede every game with a backline of Varane-Maguire. It's a joke how undercoached this team is.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Some quotes from Peter Schmeichel: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...tml?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

I don't agree with him, I'm just posting what he's said.

''You can say 'Conte is brilliant' but he doesn't hang around for more than a couple of years. We are not that football club. We tried that already. It doesn't work. Louis van Gaal didn't win the Premier League, Mourinho didn't. You say Conte or another name, it's no difference. It's about them and what they want to do in a small window of Manchester United's big history. The problem Ole has is that in this world of quick fixes and fast news he has to win yesterday. It has to be delivered now. But it's not the real world. We stopped that development for a period and our competitors closed the gap then ran away.'

SAFMUTD

Once again lowering expectations so he can ease the preassure on him. The eternal rebuild, sorry for all the Ole fans but once again with comments like this he shows he's not a winner.

How can players find motivation from him? Same as last January when he down played our chances of winning the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.