g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARulz

I wish we had lost to Spurs. Could have got a decent manager in but now we've fecked ourselves over again

skc_18

Michael Owen speaking sense. I cannot believe what I'm seeing
Very good analysis by Owen and Scholes. Especially on the recruitment. We cant have good recruitment if manager and recruit team are not on same page. It is very evident with last two transfer windows. We got lucky with Cavani and Varane was interested in us. Other than that , Telles, VDB , Sancho have been disappointment signings in a way that we spent big on the signings we are not even using. This looks bad on everyone from board,recruitment to management. This is exact same situation with Mourinho as well. He bought Lindelof , Bailly and next transfer asked for Maguire and board said no because he has no clue what he wants.

I think pressure got to Ole after Liverpool match and he is making these crazy decisions with changes in formations. His favorite players gave up on him this season very badly and he did not rotate them with others. For me, it looks like he is going to get sacked during this international break.May be players are aware too and gave up last few games.

Moonwalker

Michael Owen speaking sense. I cannot believe what I'm seeing
No he's not, he's talking nonsense, as he often does. The only league title he has ever won a as a player, came because a manager (who isn't as quixotically wedded to a system) decided to give his sorry ass a swan song. Possibly, not because the system was really lacking a listless poacher up front.

I understand Guardiola and Klopp are en vogue, and by all means they should be, but to pretend that their way of doing things is the only way to skin a cat, and be downright outraged that everybody isn't doing it is just laughable.

The prevailing wisdom of the esteemed punditry during the first couple of seasons in England was that he "needs to be more pragmatic"; "needs to adapt"; is "too stubborn"; etc. If they lost you could hear "he doesn't have a plan b". Some of this stuff resurfaces every time they are knocked out of Europe and we may yet hear more of it by the end of the season especially if a more pragmatic media darling like Tuchel should enjoy some success.

To make this 'sensible' punditry worse, Owen seems to think that system and formation are one and the same; which if he payed more attention from his fecking helicopter he could identify as false; not least because Klopp himself used fifferent formations throughout his carrier.

It's the usual piffle from the usual suspects. Whichever way the wind blows and score-reading.

dal

I hate the 3-5-2, if your going to leave then leave with the same principles you came with, do not cower. When Ole first came he wanted to play a pressing style which in fairness he did and he did it really well.

Just play four at the back and go 433 or 451, we must play on the front foot, there are times when sitting back in games is the right thing to do but not throughout the whole fecking game.

——————————Henderson———————
AWB——Varane——- Maguire———Shaw
—————-Mctominay———————————
——————————————VDB——————-
Sancho—————-Bruno——————Rashford
—————————Ronaldo——————————

Barring injuries if consistently play the above team.

This team can all press consistently, the only one who won’t is Ronaldo and if he doesn’t press then bring Cavani in and use Ronaldo in the last 20-30 minutes.

Ole won’t get replaced until 4th is out of sight, I actually feel he will change it up and we may go on a run but it needs to change and rapidly, yesterday it really looked like our players were disjointed and uninterested.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I hate the 3-5-2, if your going to leave then leave with the same principles you came with, do not cower. When Ole first came he wanted to play a pressing style which in fairness he did and he did it really well.

Just play four at the back and go 433 or 451, we must play on the front foot, there are times when sitting back in games is the right thing to do but not throughout the whole fecking game.

——————————————VDB——————-

This team can all press consistently, the only one who won’t is Ronaldo and if he doesn’t press then bring Cavani in and use Ronaldo in the last 20-30 minutes.

Ole won’t get replaced until 4th is out of sight, I actually feel he will change it up and we may go on a run but it needs to change and rapidly, yesterday it really looked like our players were disjointed and uninterested.
He doesn't have the strength in mindset to do that.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

——————————————VDB——————-

He’s never played a properly structured pressing system. You might intermittently see a bit of pressing but that was just something he used to say. As a coach he full of BS.

AndySmith1990

He’s never played a properly structured pressing system. You might intermittently see a bit of pressing but that was just something he used to say. As a coach he full of BS.
Solskjaer reminds me of myself when playing FM. I am terrible at creating tactics and will randomly change things with the hope I magically stumble upon a solution that works. Very much how I have felt when watching Ole's United. Him and his backroom team make it up as they go along. Unfortunately for them in real life there's no plug 'n play tactics to get you through.

soapythecat

The briefings to the press seem to be in full swing this morning. As per City defeat, the club will stick by him and he will get the season.
I’ve no reason to think why they would sack him now, or at least until Woodward has gone.
When G Nev tweets as much, you know it’s gospel as his best mate is technical director.
I hope the players can make the season respectable.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I find it incredible that he's only 6 points behind City and 9 points off the top of the table.

Could be so much worse.

PoTMS

I find it incredible that he's only 6 points behind City and 9 points off the top of the table.

Could be so much worse.
Just like Spurs/Watford/Newcastle/Norwich have done, the season could still be yet salvageable. But nope, let's dig our feet in and drag ourselves further into the abyss.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-how-i-want-us-to-play-it-was-a-big-step-back

We still don’t trust ourselves with the ball and we don’t find the angles and sometimes that is also the team you play against. We sometimes made the wrong solutions, sometimes the right solution but the wrong execution.

He doesn't know enough about the actual coaching and he's trusted the wrong people to help him on that but he doesn't seem to realise that they are not good enough.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
didnt he say in the last international break they had been working on things...
How do you work on things when a lot of your first choice players are either injured or away on international duty. The style should have been sorted during the summer break, then drilled into the players in pre-season and stuck with. You then sign players who fit that system.

unclemao

Ole doesn't have a secret playbook that sits under glass saying "Break glass in emergency". He has no ideas. A year from now his best idea will still be in a double pivot with McFred and that alone is a notion that sickens me

Eddy_JukeZ

Yup. I thought we were awful, but happened to take our chances against an even worse team. How anyone drew confidence from that game is absolutely beyond me.
People who thought we made some sort of breakthrough that game were seriously deluded.

That Spurs team under Nuno was absolutely horrific. They might have been the worst footballing side I've watched in the last few years.

But apparently, some of our fans thought it was a breakthrough for us :lol:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
People who thought we made some sort of breakthrough that game were seriously deluded.

That Spurs team under Nuno was absolutely horrific. They might have been the worst footballing side I've watched in the last few years.

But apparently, some of our fans thought it was a breakthrough for us :lol:
Living in Ole's butt does that.

beer&grill

Good to know. You and a few others keep coming at it as you have a wealth of knowledge. But to some of us it is apparent there is nothing behind the harsh words of no wisdom.

what he did? He built the club back to its potential. All we need is either him or another manager to finish the work. We haven’t been packet with talent like this for past a decade. And it’s all down to him. He has progressed us by miles after Mou. It’s not coming together now, but we are set up in a different league.

All summer everyone said we needed to give Sancho time. Now it’s a stick to beat the manger with. He has not settled in yet, and if anything that is as evident as we can’t pass. We are two signing off being close to Liverpool and City. But it seems difficult to grasp for some. I have no idea why posters like yourself is so black and white, and why you choose to embarrass us in such self-indulgent ways.

It’s not good enough what we are doing. But one thing is sure. And you only need an average IQ to understand we need to continue in the same path with a manager who can build on the same work that has been done.
Oh, thank god you came and put some sense into these football novices who talk like they have a wealth of knowledge, unlike you who actually are a very knowledgeable football person. Source? Trust me bro, we are two signing off being close to Liverpool and City. But it seems difficult to grasp for some. :rolleyes:

BlueHaze

I wish we had lost to Spurs. Could have got a decent manager in but now we've fecked ourselves over again
We lost 0-5 against Liverpool and he was still here. If Klopp wasn't a decent man and told them to just see the game out after they had 5 it could easily have ended 0-8.

So based on this what makes you think he would have been sacked if we lost against Spurs? I mean we got utterly played of the park yesterday and the joker is still here.

LARulz

We lost 0-5 against Liverpool and he was still here. If Klopp wasn't a decent man and told them to just see the game out after they had 5 it could easily have ended 0-8.

So based on this what makes you think he would have been sacked if we lost against Spurs? I mean we got utterly played of the park yesterday and the joker is still here.
That was a perfect gap. If we lost to Spurs then the pressure would have been insane and then City would have killed him off if he survived that.

But at least Conte may have still been available

AndySmith1990

Blimey. Never thought I'd find myself agreeing so vehemently with Michael Owen. He is however absolutely right.

Funny though, when he was saying weed out the rubbish, I was thinking that would mean starting with the manager.

Max_United

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-how-i-want-us-to-play-it-was-a-big-step-back

We still don’t trust ourselves with the ball and we don’t find the angles and sometimes that is also the team you play against. We sometimes made the wrong solutions, sometimes the right solution but the wrong execution.

He doesn't know enough about the actual coaching and he's trusted the wrong people to help him on that but he doesn't seem to realise that they are not good enough.
Notice how he always quickly moves on from discussions on system/style or player roles (e.g. number 6/number 8) and feels more comfortable just parroting platitudes like "we should be more aggressive, on the front foot, it is not how Man Utd should play" etc etc.

It really seems that he thought he found a magic bullet in 3-5-2 after beating Spurs and started with it against Atalanta and City only to change midgame. I mean I am no tactics genius but even for me 3-5-2 against City with no strikers did not make sense. And even I could see parts of Guardiola gameplan and instructions like target Maguire when he has the ball, rapidly close down via center/foul Bruno to nullify our counter attacking threat etc. On our side it was just "play the same formation as via Spurs and hope it works".

Even under Ole we were somewhat decent when we mostly played the same formation, which had its flaws - and we were not drilled well- but at least players were used to it. I am pretty sure Ole thought that just having better players would propel us to title challenge. When he realized that it is not the case he started frantically chopping and changing the formation hoping that it suddenly clicks. But with players not familiar/trained for it the result over multiple games was always predictable.

He is clueless.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

r0663664

Worships Man City
Brighton and West Ham has better chance of beating City. Why? Their manager puts in a tactic that every players know exactly who to pick up when to press and they do it as a team. Ronaldo, Bruno and Greenwood doesn't know how to press so our midfield get overrun easily. City has runners waiting for the balls over the top with 2-3 going after the balls. How I wish we had Park who is instructed to pick up Bernado or De Buryn? City is a cohesive machine, Utd is a chaotic mess. I will bet you that if we play them 10 times, they will win 8. Against Liverpool, it would probably be the same. How can I call that progress with Ole? How can a club worth billions have a 2nd rated manager, it is beyond my belief. What kind of owners and COE do we really have? Do they like to see failure? Yes, Ole steady the ship and brought back a good feeling but everyone knows he is overrated. We keep passing over good manager because the has some blind fate that Ole will come good. I had wanted him gone for almost 18 months and was shocked that he was offered a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.