Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

Sterling Archer

when a new manager comes in and spends on defence it’s because he doesn’t know better? What does that even mean.
Sorry I wasn't more explicit. The absolute tactical garbage played by Ole we might as well have brought in a CB from Huddersfield instead of a 80 million 'ball playing' back for a team that's not set up to maximize his skills. Wan Bissaka is continuing to be good at defending for a bottom ten club. Except we paid 50 million for him, when bottom ten clubs get the same output from tenfold less.

Ole decided to spend almost all his money in an area that a better manager would have made do with and invested instead in the middle, let alone the forward line that was cleared out.

Gomes and Greenwood are playing Europa League games. They didn’t this time as we had two senior players back from long layoffs who needed bedding in.
See below. @Chairman Steve has said it perfectly.

Also, if you're content with Gomes' involvement, great. I'm not. As for those senior players if the choice was them or new players I'd have said new. Ole went with kids but keeps playing the senior players that should be gone (Mata Jesse)

The quotes OGS has put out really doesn't help him. If you're going to hype up Greenwood by saying "he's the best finisher at the club" but not play him regularly then don't say it, but then when Greenwood does play, he gets shunted out to the infamous right wing slot whilst 'Rashy' continues to look lost as centre forward.

These alleged stories about Mandzukic actually coming to join us in January doesn't help his case. When we were close to signing him in the last week of the summer window, you could possibly interpret that as "No, Rashy and Anthony will get the goals" and therefore Woodward and the board didn't pursue it further... now these stories are resurfacing again and you could easily say that OGS knew he fecked up and now wants him because those two aren't good enough at the moment.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yes if we wanted Tielemans, we definitely 100% could have got him, if you think Tielemans is going to reject us to play for Leicester then you don't think much of our club, also if any top team had intentions to buy Tielemans, he would have rejected Leicester and chose them.

Yes there are a lot of idiots in the forums but you are addressing me so your argument was straw man because you decided that I demand instant results.

I agree that the club is badly run but Woodward has openly stated that he just signs the checks and has no involvement in the football matters and if that wasn't the case and if Ole had any balls, he should have told so immediately, the fact that he hasn't yet done that shows that Ole is the one responsible for our poor squad.

If buying good players will magically get teams attacking better, no team in the world would get into the hassle of getting managers, they'd all appoint DoF and be done with it. If Ole cannot get this squad to play competently, then there is no way he is going to transform us even if we sign the future Messi and Ronaldo.

Oh and any sane manager wouldn't go into a season with such threadbare midfield/attack, any capable manager would have sussed out that our youth players are not up to the mark/not ready yet and would have tried to buy players in the summer window instead of blindly walking into the season unprepared.
I do believe he would. I think Leicester would have been a better fit for him and tbh even though I’m a united fan I accept we have lost an aspect of our appeal.

The argument wasn’t aimed at you it was a general point with regards to the attitudes surrounding the club.

How does any manager fix this squad in one transfer window? Tell me that? Please? Because everyone here is criticising him for the squad when in context he did what he could! He doesn’t negotiate with the clubs.

Buying good players is the foundation of every top team in world football to suggest otherwise now is delusional. Robin Van Persie almost single handedly won us the PL for example. Every team in recent history that has won the PL has been as a result of tremendous investment. Leicester being the sole exception but now they have added quality regularly over many seasons to what was a league winning side something we should have done under Moyes.

We as a club did try to sign players especially attackers! But it didn’t come through. Is that Ole’s fault?

We are nowhere near winning a PL right now but Ole is not responsible. He is trying to put the right players in place and as I’ve said before I don’t think he’ll win us a title but I think he’ll lay the foundations for it with his signings.

redIndianDevil

I do believe he would. I think Leicester would have been a better fit for him and tbh even though I’m a united fan I accept we have lost an aspect of our appeal.

The argument wasn’t aimed at you it was a general point with regards to the attitudes surrounding the club.

How does any manager fix this squad in one transfer window? Tell me that? Please? Because everyone here is criticising him for the squad when in context he did what he could! He doesn’t negotiate with the clubs.

Buying good players is the foundation of every top team in world football to suggest otherwise now is delusional. Robin Van Persie almost single handedly won us the PL for example. Every team in recent history that has won the PL has been as a result of tremendous investment. Leicester being the sole exception but now they have added quality regularly over many seasons to what was a league winning side something we should have done under Moyes.

We as a club did try to sign players especially attackers! But it didn’t come through. Is that Ole’s fault?

We are nowhere near winning a PL right now but Ole is not responsible. He is trying to put the right players in place and as I’ve said before I don’t think he’ll win us a title but I think he’ll lay the foundations for it with his signings.
You are once again making a straw man argument, no one is asking Ole to "fix" everything at once but if he cannot even get the squad to make more than one shot on target against the likes of Rochdale or Partizan, then there is no point in giving him time. The longer he is here, the more incompetent we are becoming.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It's staggering how fickle some perspectives are.

If Solskjaer was the manager of any of Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City I'd be seriously hoping he'd stay there as long as possible while laughing up a lung. What an embarrassment, after we have seen the nonsense of Dalglish and Liverpool our club / fans have chosen sentimentality over sense.
Larger groups of people tend to always be more emotional than logical. This is true in other aspects apart from football.

Alabaster Codify7

Ole has my utmost respect. I also have utmost respect for the binmen that work my street. I would never, ever choose one of them to manage a football club. Let alone United.

Wanting rid of a shite manager isn't disrespecting that manager. It's wanting to see him return to a club more on his level and hoping your own club brings in a more suitable boss.

Ole is a shite manager. Simple as that.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You are once again making a straw man argument, no one is asking Ole to "fix" everything at once but if he cannot even get the squad to make more than one shot on target against the likes of Rochdale or Partizan, then there is no point in giving him time. The longer he is here, the more incompetent we are becoming.
Because the squad in terms of currently quality is shit.

Our first XI isn’t even full of good players yet. And yet we’re expected to dominate against parked buses. Have you ever actually played in a team even at amateur level where the bus is parked and you have to break it down? It requires movement and above all else a quality creative pass 9/10 times which we didn’t have because we didn’t have Pogba our only creative midfield option either playing or fully fit.

People are saying the state of the squad is his fault? Implying that there is some kind of fix to the squad. It’s not straw man and now I’m wondering if you understand that concept properly? Ole is not to blame for 5 years of poor planning and shocking recruitment leaving us with a BTEC squad of senior players and some promising youngsters.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Ole has my utmost respect. I also have utmost respect for the binmen that work my street. I would never, ever choose one of them to manage a football club. Let alone United.

Wanting rid of a shite manager isn't disrespecting that manager. It's wanting to see him return to a club more on his level and hoping your own club brings in a more suitable boss.

Ole is a shite manager. Simple as that.
There’s a lot of contradiction here mate.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Larger groups of people tend to always be more emotional than logical. This is true in other aspects apart from football.
It’s nothing to do with emotion though.

Its to do with problem solving and how you view the best approach to the biggest problem.

I don’t think a poor season this season is a big problem. Of course I hate how things have gone so far and I’m embarrassed by our current league position but I understand why we are there.

I think our biggest problem has been recruitment so for me I want someone in charge we can trust to recruit with the clubs best interest at heart for now and the future. Ole is that manager.

Now if your suggestion would be to say sack Ole but bring in a DOF I’d be all for that. But people are suggesting sack him and bring in Poch? To do what exactly?

I’m genuinely curious as to what people think the biggest problem at the club is. Because for me it’s the 5 years of bad recruitment with no clear style. So that’s the problem to deal with and with 3/4 players a window it’ll take at least Jan and the summer to get close to making up for those mistakes

minoo-utd

What if another 2 loses on the cards? We will be fighting relegation! Is he still time then? Fecking wake up, he is worst manager post SAF.

passing-wind

Its to do with problem solving and how you view the best approach to the biggest problem.

I don’t think a poor season this season is a big problem. Of course I hate how things have gone so far and I’m embarrassed by our current league position but I understand why we are there.

I think our biggest problem has been recruitment so for me I want someone in charge we can trust to recruit with the clubs best interest at heart for now and the future. Ole is that manager.

Now if your suggestion would be to say sack Ole but bring in a DOF I’d be all for that. But people are suggesting sack him and bring in Poch? To do what exactly?

I’m genuinely curious as to what people think the biggest problem at the club is. Because for me it’s the 5 years of bad recruitment with no clear style. So that’s the problem to deal with and with 3/4 players a window it’ll take at least Jan and the summer to get close to making up for those mistakes
I personally wouldn't look at Poch as a solution but Solskjaer has been so inept managerially he's become part of the "style" problem. I also think people are overhyping our recruitment, AWB was one of the best fullbacks in europe last season playing for a side who's expectations are to be fighting above relegation. Maguire was wanted by Mourinho and has been decent since arriving hardly outstanding. James has had a positive influence but not in his cohesion with the team, all of his best moments have come from his own independence to the extent we have been relying on him solely to dig us out of bad performances.

Look at the spine of our team: DDG, Shaw, Maguire, Lindlelof, Pogba, Rashford, Martial that's 7 out of a possible 11 who all have the given quality to have us at the very least rummaging around the top four. So if Solskjaer can't get this spine of players performing where is the proof that the likes of Maddison, Rice and Sancho will improve under his tenure ?

This is where I draw the line with Ole, blind hope is not enough to justify spending millions in the expectation that performances and results will improve. It's how Ole adopts his tactical methodology to the team to bring the best out of his players. How many managers in world football truly have a team that is entirely of their own identity, maybe two or three ? A managers responsibility is also to make the best use out of his resources, that's why a coach like Nagglesman for me is what the club needs. Because we can build for the future without having to literally sacrifice the present.

pacifictheme

The thing it this won't be just a bad season. It'll be another bad season. One bad season is an anomoly, but several? Thats a trend. Europa league winners, second place, 6th, mid table. Not to mention that follows 7th, 4th and 5th.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe maybe not. I'd go with not, personally. Lukaku was hardly a picture of physical fitness during his final season with the club, nor was he banging in the goals.

Although under current circumstances, the injury crisis on top of an already thin squad, he'd be a handy option to have available right now.
He wanted out, kept making it public, then gaven an interview slagging off the club while he was still at the club. I don't think keeping him was an option. We had more than enough time to find another player capable of contributing some goals though. It was obvious the entire summerthat Lukaku wouldn't be offering anything to us this season.

There were what, three seperate threads on here well before the season raising concerns that the squad obviously didn't have enough goals in it. I worked out that even if all of our forward players put in good goal returns this season (as in as good as you could realistically expect from each player), we still wouldn't score enough goals...and that was including Sanchez.

I still really want Ole to turn it round but there's no hiding from how poor the squad management has been, and that's the route of most of the problems we now have. The midfield situation is even worse than with the forwards.

People can complain about the lack of any visible game plan, tactics, etc. I understand a lot of it and agree with some of it, but it's hard to execute any tactic or gameplan effectively when your team lacks the belief and confidence to do so, and it's hard to build any belief or confidence when two thirds of your team is stretched so thin that they are just surviving through one game to the next.

redIndianDevil

Because the squad in terms of currently quality is shit.

Our first XI isn’t even full of good players yet. And yet we’re expected to dominate against parked buses. Have you ever actually played in a team even at amateur level where the bus is parked and you have to break it down? It requires movement and above all else a quality creative pass 9/10 times which we didn’t have because we didn’t have Pogba our only creative midfield option either playing or fully fit.

People are saying the state of the squad is his fault? Implying that there is some kind of fix to the squad. It’s not straw man and now I’m wondering if you understand that concept properly? Ole is not to blame for 5 years of poor planning and shocking recruitment leaving us with a BTEC squad of senior players and some promising youngsters.
Rochdale is a league 1 club, Championship teams will take apart Rochdale. If Ole cannot even make us compete against those likes with the squad he has, he deserves to get sacked.

You can cry all you want about poor planning for the last 5 years, but the reason our squad is thin this year is because Ole decided to gut the squad and not replace players.

As for your other point about opening a parked bus requiring movement and passing, that is exactly Oles job, it's what he is getting paid for and that is the one he is seriously failing at. Any good/decent manager will make his squad play beyond their ability by coaching or employing good tactics both of which Ole is seriously lacking.

redIndianDevil

Our biggest problem is not recruitment, it's the appointment of absolutely pathetic managers and giving them the freedom to sign whoever they want.

Yakuza_devils

Why always manager of man utd need more time?

Emery, Lampard, Rodgers seems doing fine with moderate spending in transfer market.

When SAF retire, I never thought we would be out of Top 4 regularly. Now I even fear for relegation. Our decline is worse than Liverpool. We need to do drastic changes and not giving time to a clueless manager.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why always manager of man utd need more time?

Emery, Lampard, Rodgers seems doing fine with moderate spending in transfer market.

When SAF retire, I never thought we would be out of Top 4 regularly. Now I even fear for relegation. Our decline is worse than Liverpool. We need to do drastic changes and not giving time to a clueless manager.
Emery is doing poorly.

Lampard and Rodgers will soon experience a drop in form. We will see how they recover. They both took over functioning squads and added to them.

No eye dear

Ole isn't good enough now or long term, that's not disrespect, just the way it is, he wasn't good at Cardiff and this is Manchester United, it takes a top manager to do well here.
I know the structure of the club isn't good and given Ed and the Glazers anyone would struggle but there are better out there.
It doesn't have to be a long term rebuild but the Glazers are too cheap to pay the money to do it quickly.

Hambley

It's amusing as jose fans to see how the ole boys bending reality to justify ole's better than jose.
But Jose was really better then Ole. His record, game style. The team performed brilliant comebacks under his coaching. Only mindless haters can argue with that. Ridiculos is the thing that Ed fired Jose and gave permanent contract to the one who performs the worst version of Jose's football. So why the hell we fired Jose? Ole plays so-called "defensive football" and fails even in that.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

Emery is doing poorly.

Lampard and Rodgers will soon experience a drop in form. We will see how they recover. They both took over functioning squads and added to them.
Emery is doing better than Ole even though in your words "Emery is doing poorly".

You seems to be able to predict that Lampard and Rodgers will experience drop in form. Many pundits said the same during Leicester tiltle winning season. Even if they experience drop in form but their playing style is still much more entertaining than us. We can't score from open play, zero shot on target, park the bus and etc. This is stone age football.

And no they didn't take over a functioning squad.

Yakuza_devils

We are supposed to be a club like Barca, RM, Bayern, Juventus.

With loads of money to implement a very good system in the club. Challenging year in year out not only domestically but in Europe.

We are now in 15th and there are still fans giving excuses for Ole. We deserve it!

In any of the club above mentioned, there will be riots every game. White handkerchief everywhere.

R'hllor

why would anyone classify themselves as a Jose fan?

Do you not just support Manchester United?
They were JM followers before he even became a United manager, which is actually next level. Something like Amadeus just a bit more nasty and weird.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I personally wouldn't look at Poch as a solution but Solskjaer has been so inept managerially he's become part of the "style" problem. I also think people are overhyping our recruitment, AWB was one of the best fullbacks in europe last season playing for a side who's expectations are to be fighting above relegation. Maguire was wanted by Mourinho and has been decent since arriving hardly outstanding. James has had a positive influence but not in his cohesion with the team, all of his best moments have come from his own independence to the extent we have been relying on him solely to dig us out of bad performances.

Look at the spine of our team: DDG, Shaw, Maguire, Lindlelof, Pogba, Rashford, Martial that's 7 out of a possible 11 who all have the given quality to have us at the very least rummaging around the top four. So if Solskjaer can't get this spine of players performing where is the proof that the likes of Maddison, Rice and Sancho will improve under his tenure ?

This is where I draw the line with Ole, blind hope is not enough to justify spending millions in the expectation that performances and results will improve. It's how Ole adopts his tactical methodology to the team to bring the best out of his players. How many managers in world football truly have a team that is entirely of their own identity, maybe two or three ? A managers responsibility is also to make the best use out of his resources, that's why a coach like Nagglesman for me is what the club needs. Because we can build for the future without having to literally sacrifice the present.
Ole isn’t the best manager tactically but in the absence of a DOF I trust him to sign the right players. I don’t think I am overhyping the players signed all of them have settled well and quickly.

7/11 of our first team are ok yeah but how many times this season have those 7 started together! This is exactly my point. IF Ole had his first team fit like with quality depth that wanted to be at the club like Liverpool and City of course I would want him out the door if we were anywhere near the position we are now but you take Pogba and Martial out of that team and what do you notice? All of them are defensive players except Rashford who cannot create. How are you meant to break down low blocks without creativity?

He can’t get the spine performing because he’s not had the spine fit! He’s improved Daniel James, improved our defence and McTominay had developed even more too. There are positives but we’ve been unlucky.

Coaches at United face a unique problem though very few teams come at us most sit back. So when you have your only creative outlets injured you are relying on having squad players to do the hardest job in football breaking down a well drilled defensive block.

The thing it this won't be just a bad season. It'll be another bad season. One bad season is an anomoly, but several? Thats a trend. Europa league winners, second place, 6th, mid table. Not to mention that follows 7th, 4th and 5th.
That is where we are now. We aren’t a top 4 quality squad but next season we could be there with the right players and then you build on that. Right now out first XI is missing 2/3 players but our squad has very little quality in creativity. That is the biggest flaw.

Rochdale is a league 1 club, Championship teams will take apart Rochdale. If Ole cannot even make us compete against those likes with the squad he has, he deserves to get sacked.

You can cry all you want about poor planning for the last 5 years, but the reason our squad is thin this year is because Ole decided to gut the squad and not replace players.

As for your other point about opening a parked bus requiring movement and passing, that is exactly Oles job, it's what he is getting paid for and that is the one he is seriously failing at. Any good/decent manager will make his squad play beyond their ability by coaching or employing good tactics both of which Ole is seriously lacking.
I don’t judge managers on one game I judge them based on what the biggest need is at the club. The biggest need we have is a clear recruitment policy to enable us to have athletic and young players who can develop into a potential league challenging side. That takes time and many of the fans I meet at games seem to get that but I come on here and people seem to think a new manager will change our fortunes instantly?

Ole wanted more players and he didn’t fit the squad he got rid of shit players that everyone wanted gone! Some argue Lukaku was good but Lukaku suffered from the same lack of creator under Mourinho too. We’ve had similar issues for years and rather than address them we keep blaming managers instead of accepting the truth. We’ve signed badly and are suffering after 5 years of mistakes.

Ole is doing a good job of coaching this if you watch our play live you can see the little movements and patterns developing but of course we’re having trouble without our best players.

Take Mane and Salah out of Liverpool and do you think they’ll be blitzing the league?
Our biggest problem is not recruitment, it's the appointment of absolutely pathetic managers and giving them the freedom to sign whoever they want.
So sign a DOF. But until we do that Ole has signed very well.
We are supposed to be a club like Barca, RM, Bayern, Juventus.

With loads of money to implement a very good system in the club. Challenging year in year out not only domestically but in Europe.

We are now in 15th and there are still fans giving excuses for Ole. We deserve it!

In any of the club above mentioned, there will be riots every game. White handkerchief everywhere.
We are not that big a club anymore. The above clubs have a all got a clear mix of world class and creative players. We don’t even have two world class creative options.

we have been shit at recruiting to replace what was a title winning side. We let the rot set in and now we’re painfully having to remove it. But I think Ole can do a lot of this for us.

Then the next manager can coach us to a trophy.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Ole needs to win games. At least 12-13 points in the next 5 games otherwise supporters and media will continue to discuss his future.

At the moment I can’t see any sign that he has the coaching ability to turns this around. The only thing that can help him is probably individual brilliance because the way we play don’t break any defending team down.

dove

Ole needs to win games. At least 12-13 points in the next 5 games otherwise supporters and media will continue to discuss his future.

At the moment I can’t see any sign that he has the coaching ability to turns this around. The only thing that can help him is probably individual brilliance because the way we play don’t break any defending team down.
Nah, 12-13 is too much. 50% of our fans would be jubilant winning 2 points in the next 5 games, they would see it as a great progress.

Dr. StrangeHate

We should take player selection away from the managers and give it to some footballing committee long term at the club. Barcelona gave Pep only options and not total control despite him being the best manager in the world. Most clubs follow this system. They have a philosophy and get players in that fit that system and in turn hire a manager that aligns with that philosophy. Ed the moron just lets every manager buy the players they want because he is waiting for the next fergie to come along and just run the footballing side from top to bottom.

Yakuza_devils

It's bizarre that people still defending Ole blindly. What's the reason to give him more time?

1. Does he has excellent track records? NO
2. Is his playing style entertaining and effective? NO
3. He improves players? NO
4. He wins game? NO
5. He is good in transfers? NO, leaving us so short of attacking players
6. He is good in squad building? NO, the current squad is so imbalance.
7. He is good in motivation? NO

The only thing in his favour is that he is one of us.

Handré1990

There is enough to criticize Ole for without going overboard. Norwich tried to defend deep before we scored. You might say they are shit, but there you go.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's bizarre that people still defending Ole blindly. What's the reason to give him more time?

1. Does he has excellent track records? NO
2. Is his playing style entertaining and effective? NO
3. He improves players? NO
4. He wins game? NO
5. He is good in transfers? NO, leaving us so short of attacking players
6. He is good in squad building? NO, the current squad is so imbalance.
7. He is good in motivation? NO

The only thing in his favour is that he is one of us.
Blame the owners.

He is expected to rebuild United with a net spent of 50mil?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nah, 12-13 is too much. 50% of our fans would be jubilant winning 2 points in the next 5 games, they would see it as a great progress.
So I guess you are jubilant now and seeing progress as we got 3 points in 1 game !?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I am not part of this deluded 50% part.
Sigh... is it deluded to appreciate the effect injuries have on a teams ability to perform?

Nobody was delighted to be where we were points wise but there is a difference between understanding circumstances and blind panic.

Foxbatt

Beating the 2nd team from the bottom is now considered such a great success? How have we fallen.

dove

Sigh... is it deluded to appreciate the effect injuries have on a teams ability to perform?

Nobody was delighted to be where we were points wise but there is a difference between understanding circumstances and blind panic.
It's deluded to think any average manager will turn into SAF if he is given 5 years.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's deluded to think any average manager will turn into SAF if he is given 5 years.
At least we can agree on that and I'm absolutely certain no one thinks that anyway

Typical straw man bollocks