Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Galactico

If he gets us top 4 I think he should get the job now, why?

Because in the two away games against big sides he’s gone out with a game plan. At the beginning of the game I was thinking why the hell is Lukaku and Sanchez so wide. They knew that their full backs would be so high up the pitch with space in behind, that’s how we would win. The same thing happened against Spurs except that time we played long ball into the channels.

It’s basic stuff but it’s something we haven’t seen for a post Fergie. Moyes was clueless, Van Gaal was more interested in retaining possession, Mourinho was more focused on the opposition. Sometimes you just find the right fit. The only other manager that fits us is Poch, can we prize him away from Spurs now? He’s on a long term contract. will cost a fortune and we still might not get him. He won’t have money to spend over the next 5 years, I think he will eventually want to leave.
Here’s a thought - why don’t we give Ole the job and if it doesn’t work out, then we can go and get Poch?

Actually, come to think of it, isn’t that what’s already happening??!

JohnnyKills

Everyone's focusing on Solskjaer, saying his start shows how clueless Mourinho was. But given how good we've been tactically since Phelan returned, how stupid was Moyes to get rid of him?

JohnnyKills

Here’s a thought - why don’t we give Ole the job and if it doesn’t work out, then we can go and get Poch?

Actually, come to think of it, isn’t that what’s already happening??!
If Poch goes to RM he'll probably be available again in a year's time anyway.

yfoFC

Imagine if Ole got the job to succeed SAF. I think our results couldn't have been any worse than Moyes in the first season. We probably would have done much better as I think the players would have respected him more than they did Moyes. He had a player connection with Giggs, etc... 5 years on maybe we'd be in a much better position than we are now, possibly without the cup wins and EL title. It's easy to say fans would accept 5 years of no titles but playing the United way
with CL each season. I'd take that in a heart beat. Hindsight yada yada yada.

We've scored 22 goals in 8 games with a +17 GD. The players confidence is flying. Just give it to him at the end of the season.
I for one am glad he didn't get the job immediately post-SAF, I feel people underestimate the value of experience both on the side of the manager (OGS) and the club.

OGS neeeded to gather experience and managing Molde and even the Cardiff disaster would have impacted much on his ability to manage in ways we can't even imagine. I'm glad he came to us as a seasoned manager having experienced the highs and lows of management.

As for the club, I feel we needed to experience the wilderness post-SAF to fully appreciate the value of having the basic tenets that the great man built the club on present in the club and manager rather than taking it for granted.

We can better appreciate what OGS brings to the table after experiencing the horrors of the last 3 managers. It stops us wondering whether the grass is greener on the other side when we inevitably hit some bad patch of form as we've been there and done that.

In short, I'm quite happy with how things have panned out post-SAF with both the good and bad and feel OGS has come at the right-ish time.

DBT85

Everyone's focusing on Solskjaer, saying his start shows how clueless Mourinho was. But given how good we've been tactically since Phelan returned, how stupid was Moyes to get rid of him?
Always felt it was stupid. He came in as if the manager before him had been sacked, clearing house to set up his own shop.

All he had to do was sit there, smile, grin like a loon and he might have done ok long enough to settle in.

As it is, its probably for the best, otherwise we have stuck with him longer.

Seven Seas Sardines

This is the most invested I've ever been in the manager of the month award. United manager hasn't won it since Fergie in October 2012. Surely Ole's for the taking.
If we beat Burnley and he doesn't win it, it's the clearest indication ever that the FA supports Liverpool, despite what the scousers might tell you.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
While this is true, our back 4 is not really strong. We improved now as a team though against Arsenal
I’m happy with Shaw and Lindelof. Really need a CB and RB, and maybe a back up LB. Definitely a lot of room for improvement in defence.

JohnnyKills

Always felt it was stupid. He came in as if the manager before him had been sacked, clearing house to set up his own shop.

All he had to do was sit there, smile, grin like a loon and he might have done ok long enough to settle in.

As it is, its probably for the best, otherwise we have stuck with him longer.
100%

redmanx

Moyes got rid of just about everybody in Fergies management team and that was a huge mistake. Ole has brought back Mike Phelan and together, with the rest of Oles staff, they've brought joy back to Old Trafford with attacking, exciting football played by footballers who smile a lot, the toxic era of Mourinho is over and Ole takes the credit for knowing what was needed to make the players want to play again and enjoy it; Ole knows the club, the history, the philosophy, the drama and tragedy, he knows the supporters, to me that makes him a far better prospect than any manager without his love for the club; why bring in Pottecino who, like Moyes, will no doubt bring in his own people and try to mould Manchester United in his own image? Do we really have to go through all that again? And Ole wants the job.....nuff said!

Reactions: Sultan

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
From a write-off of a season when appointed - to today where we have not only have a happiness on and off the pitch, but a bit of hope we can still possibly fight for top 4. He’s doing a fantastic job. Don’t think we could have asked or dreamed for more. Definitely a team effort though on the bench. McKenna, Phelan and Carrick are key to this set up to. Love how they all embrace when we score!

ROFLUTION

Was that question rhetorical or do you really need the tactical differences between Jose's counter attacking system and Ole's counterattack pointed out to you? Are you sure you haven't been conditioned to believe anything that doesn't involve getting 10 men behind the ball is naive football? We spent a lot of time in our half and you still call it naive
ffs I was genuinely interested in your opinion and then you reply with a douchebag answer like this. A stone can see we are attacking more, I was asking where you see this good tactical aspect of Ole. Im not sure he's super-tactical, we're just playing more attacking.

Greck

ffs I was genuinely interested in your opinion and then you reply with a douchebag answer like this. A stone can see we are attacking more, I was asking where you see this good tactical aspect of Ole. Im not sure he's super-tactical, we're just playing more attacking.
Mate I think you read it in a patronising tone because that wasn't the intended tone. There was no sarcasm there.

Last edited:

reddaz71

Absolutely no need to break up something thats clearly working, if its no longer broken then it doesn't need fixing, just keep the current set up and let them strengthen where they feel needs it this summer, no more gambling and pressing the reset button ie Pochettino or whoever please!

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
This is the most invested I've ever been in the manager of the month award. United manager hasn't won it since Fergie in October 2012. Surely Ole's for the taking.
You sure? Didnt Van Gaal win it when we went on a 6 games winning streak or something?

TsuWave

According to the new ArsenalMania conspiracy theory, Ole has nothing to do with us finding form again, and its all due to Fergie grabbing the reins from the shadows:

bondsname

According to the new ArsenalMania conspiracy theory, Ole has nothing to do with us finding form again, and its all due to Fergie grabbing the reins from the shadows:
It's great that they think that, it just shows that United is truly back. How can we suddenly be this good? It must be Ferguson!

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Paul Ince is mad he is/was a shit manager.
I can’t remember the exact quotes but Ince said, “all he can keep doing is win games, win the cup, maybe win the champions league...”

Gabby Logan looks dumbfounded and says “and what, they still won’t give him the job”

peridigm

If SAF was managing us from behind the scenes that just proves his status that he is the greatest manager ever. He doesn’t even have to show up and we’re back to winning ways.

POF

I don't think it was stupid at all. If Moyes was going to succeed it would have had to be with his own staff because he lacks charisma and the ability to engage people and quickly build relationships.

There have been a lot of messages on here praising the other coaches and implying that it erodes Ole's achievements. If anything, that shows me that he can do this job long term.

He is the manager, he calls the shots, yet he has the humility and people skills to immediately form a cohesive unit within the coaching staff. He got to choose 1 of his 4 backroom staff, yet look how they interact on the bench. You can see it is a team effort and the ability to build that environment in such a short time is a testament to Ole's management skills. People talk about that as if it is easy. Delegating effectively is one of the hardest skills in management and it took years for even Fergie to do it effectively.

When you factor in a DoF coming on board, with any other manager you would worry about clashes of ego and dissention within the camp. I just can't see that happening with Ole.

Who knows how things will go for the rest of the season. There are many challenges left to come and it's unlikely he will win every game but it will take a huge collapse for me to want anyone else in the role full time.

CA_vampire

It was definitely the single most stupid thing he did. I mean that among the dozens of stupid things that Moyes did, this was the most stupid.

If nothing else, if he had kept Phelan and things still did not work out, then Moyes could blame Phelan and fire him. That would have bought him a couple of months...

deafepl

You know we're back when Arsenal already make a theory about SAF managing us, not Ole. Back in a time when we were so dominant under SAF, everybody would be like, "the reason we won many trophies because we had Fergie time, bribe referees and win an undeserved penalty".

wrinklydong

It's like being so good in online video games that you're being called out as a cheater by other players.

klayton88

Bringing on Rashford and Martial when we're up 2-1 away from home at Arsenal. Abso-fecking-lutely love it. A refreshing change and exactly what United fans have wanted for a long time
I said exactly this to my friend when it happened. Under Mou that sub would have been Mctominey and Jones and we'd have just invited and invited pressure with no chance of a third goal should they have levelled it.

Chairman Woodie

If Solskjaer doesn't win the Manager of the Month Award for January, he never will.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I said exactly this to my friend when it happened. Under Mou that sub would have been Mctominey and Jones and we'd have just invited and invited pressure with no chance of a third goal should they have levelled it.
Totally. There's nothing wrong with that strategy either and most managers will tell you it's more ''textbook". However it's a signal of an intent and perspective, that hopefully permeates right across our approach.

The United

I have no doubt our fitness will get better. I think once we settle, we will manage the games much better by not wasting too much energy in later stages of matches.

Early goals are very important for that. I don't expect or want United going at it till the final whistle every match especially if we are a couple of goals up early.

AndyJ1985

That's pretty ridiculous considering Ferguson won the league at a canter in 2013 with a fairly ordinary team by our standards. He should have won manager of the month almost every month that season.

Adam_S

I can't think of a better compliment for a United manager than a rival fan saying this TBH. When the scouse start accusing him of bribing referees then we're really getting somewhere.