Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

midnightmare

This could well have been mentioned in here before, but, does anyone think that the biggest contributing factor to our form since Ole arrived is actually the work being done by Phelan?

Maybe it’s just me overlooking Ole but there’s more to our performances recently than the players just being happy, some of the games have been tactically spot on and I can’t see him being capable of that so early only in his managerial career personally.
Would you then say that the biggest contributors to our woeful play under Jose were Kieran and Carrick? Or that Alvarez was ensuring DdG conceded goals? The manager is where the buck stops. If Jose was responsible for the downs, let's accept Ole's responsible for the ups. Oh and since it was Ole that got Phelan in anyway, it is to his credit even if it's all Phelan...

ohhrooney

Alan Shearer was praising United! That for me, I never thought will see the light of the day. Except a certain Ince, so many ex players and pundits are applauding Ole.

What I liked most about yesterday is that he was willing to learn from his mistakes. He made minor tweaks to formation and tactically I think this was the best game under him. First win at Bridge since 2012. Ole is the first person after Fergie, who breathes the club like us the fans!

3 big away wins already under him - Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea. This is not a mean feat after where we were when he came. It's not even his team yet. (Case in point Sarri). He wants to win trophies (unlike Poch).

That smile which Fergie had during the game, sums it up for all of us.

AgentP

A win against Liverpool will be the icing on the cake. Might as well give him the job on the spot if he does it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Obviously we have to give credit to Solskjaer's coaching staff, every one of them. Solskjaer said McKenna and Carrick does the analysis part, so I'm also assuming all 3 (KM, Carrick and Phelan) are involved a lot in training.

SAF assembled good coaching staff, all undone by fecking Moyes.
Cheers for the shoutout mate.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
11 years.
Yeah you would be thinking he is capable of having a certain tactical nous. But to be fair to the poster, what we have been doing and recent tactical displays have been mighty impressive for a guy with only a season in management at the "highest level" before he joined us. It has been remarkable really and practically unheard of the results he has been getting since he came in. It is astonishing really when you think about it. So to be fair to the poster, I think it is fair to say Ole has quite the super talent for management and give his team a lot of credit and might as well leave it at that for now.

Redfan94

Would you then say that the biggest contributors to our woeful play under Jose were Kieran and Carrick? Or that Alvarez was ensuring DdG conceded goals? The manager is where the buck stops. If Jose was responsible for the downs, let's accept Ole's responsible for the ups. Oh and since it was Ole that got Phelan in anyway, it is to his credit even if it's all Phelan...
No because Mourinho was a well established manager with a clear philosophy on how he liked his teams to play, pragmatically.

I’m well aware that Ole has managerial experience, but not at this level.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
They are really getting on my tits now.

We're on one of the best runs I can fecking remember and they're still nit-picking (especially after that shite we had to endure with Mourinho).
Aye, it's a brilliant run of form in any context, but given how utterly shite we were this season until he took over it's been freakishly great.

OT1214

Ole should play Sanchez behind the striker(s) and see how he performs. Seems like the best bet for Sanchez to regain his confidence.
I’m loving the dugout celebrations since Ole took over. All the staff celebrate together. There is a real sense of unity there. No throwing or kicking water bottles to make himself the centre of attention.

Reactions: Penna

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I will play my best eleven in carling cup matches, is that okay for you?
I will have to check with our resident "winning mentality" experts.

Seriously though, it's good that whole club is united. Players, coaching staff, everyone. It's such a change from December.

Jonno

I think he’s already been given the job behind the scenes and plans are already being made for the summer transfers.

Win, lose or draw against Liverpool, the job is his in my eyes, he’s absolutely bossed it. He’s so young, modern and forward thinking. Couple that with his tremendous legendary history he had with the club, how he’s always been one of ours makes this potentially as good as Pep at Barca.

With Mourinho, LVG, Moyes, coming up against Liverpool with injuries in major areas, I’d have no confidence we can change our tactics to suit the game and the opponent. Ole, I just think he’ll have something up his sleeve.

The guy has kept clean sheets in Spurs & Chelsea’s back yards m with the likes of Smalling, Jones and Young. He’s getting the absolute best out of our players.

Roll on Sunday

Drawfull

Yeah you would be thinking he is capable of having a certain tactical nous. But to be fair to the poster, what we have been doing and recent tactical displays have been mighty impressive for a guy with only a season in management at the "highest level" before he joined us. It has been remarkable really and practically unheard of the results he has been getting since he came in. It is astonishing really when you think about it. So to be fair to the poster, I think it is fair to say Ole has quite the super talent for management and give his team a lot of credit and might as well leave it at that for now.
Wasn't trying to score points really. Just pointing it out. Cardiff aside, he's won trophies during all his stints, I think, and whilst that was reserve football for us and a lower-standard league in Molde, it shouldn't diminish the achievement. The level your team are playing at dictates, to an extent, the quality of those players you can recruit and those players of teams around them too.

Keanes Magic Hat

No because Mourinho was a well established manager with a clear philosophy on how he liked his teams to play, pragmatically.

I dont accept this he has plenty of managerial experience, has won titles as a manager, as a legend at the club the players listen and trust him and knows what it takes to win at the highest possible level. All the staff deserve praise but Ole is definitely driving it the most especially match tactics

Alemar

He’s getting the absolute best out of our players.
Ashley Young has been shockingly bad on quite a few occasions already, whereas Mata only had the first good performance yesterday. Lukaku is very consistently an underperformer. Additionally, there are problems with Andreas Pereira and Fred, and Valencia we even forgot about.

That said, with several players he is quite far from their absolute best to be honest, so enough room for further improvement.

Certainly, it doesn’t nullify the fact that many other players improved drastically, and some of the underperformers are simply not good enough to play the game of football at the required level - but OGS’ system not just improved some players, it also exposed the shortcomings of the squad at his disposal

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wasn't trying to score points really. Just pointing it out. Cardiff aside, he's won trophies during all his stints, I think, and whilst that was reserve football for us and a lower-standard league in Molde, it shouldn't diminish the achievement. The level your team are playing at dictates, to an extent, the quality of those players you can recruit and those players of teams around them too.
No I didn't think you did, I just thought maybe I missed the point he was making so wanted to make it right. But yeah you are absolutely right. It shouldn't. But also especially at Cardiff I think he got to experience that, and learnt that part. He wanted to create his own United sort of, a PL team in his image, but they didn't believe in him, and he took that one on the chin instead of sulking and tried to do what they thought they wanted. Cardiff got it exactly how they wanted it though, they took the route of a standard physical Championship team and is where they are because of it. Can't say it didn't work out for Ole either tbf to the guy:lol: Cardiff guys has to wonder what could have been, but he was never properly financially backed anyways so he probably couldn't have done something of a "Eddie Howe" even if their fans actually believed in him. If he had the money and time to build he probably would have done alright, but some managers are just big time I guess. Some people just belongs at United and thats it.

JohnnyKills

For me there should only be two candidates for the job, OGS and Pochettino. No-one else offers anything like as good a fit.

Both OGS and Pochettino have lots of attractive qualities, and many of them overlap.

OGS:
Is already here and is doing well
Plays attacking football
Backs young players
Is improving players like Rashford and Martial
Has already started to get rid of those who don't really fit
Has a close relationship with Fergie, which is great for ensuring continuity before we appoint a DoF

Pochettino:
Has got a consistently excellent track record elsewhere
Has qualified for the CL several times (which, in reality, is a bigger achievement than winning the FA or League Cup these days)
Plays attacking football
Backs young players
Has proven himself able to make good transfer decisions

I'd still go for Pochettino, just because of his track record and the fact that he's got plenty of experience in the CL. This appointment is absolutely crucial for us so I'd go with the more proven candidate. But if Pochettino doesn't want the job I'd take Solskjaer without hesitation.

ruuds left boot

macs - best example of emperors new clothes ... an
Want to specially talk about Herrera. His revival under Ole is phenomenal. Never thought he can be this good for the team really.

Herrera also sounds quite intelligent and reads the game and tactics brilliantly. We need to ensure he retires here and then smoothly transition him into one of the management roles.
Agree 100% with this. He was unbelievable last night/

Bola

I'm not gonna say hiring him is a no-brainer (all though it is). But I can't for the life of me understand people who thinks the PSG game showed a chink in the armour of OGS. The same people who were willing to give Mourinho 'one more summer' having problems with giving Solskjær one more? No excuses for the interim when we look beatable against one of the dark horses for the CL this year.

If this wasn't Mourinho's team 1 year ago, how is it Solskjær's, with no incoming signings? We will once again be a force when he fills out the team with a couple of signings this summer, no other manager in the football world is expected to win every game without 'his players'.
Most of the PSG was down to bad luck, primarily the injuries and the crap referee. OGS dud let himself down with the subs though, the lack of pace cost us in the 2nd

As far as I'm concerned, managers are allowed to mistakes and that game should not be a serious cause for concern.

So far I'm very happy with OGS, my only criticism is his currentlyblsvk of game time to our promising academy players, particularly how he has put some senior players as square pegs in round holes. I still have faith in OGS overall though and also that he will eventually give youth a proper chance

Bola

I have watched/supported Utd., since 1956, high light years, lean years, relegation, and then the Sir Alex, followed by less than successful years up to the present time. Over this long period of time there are only two managers who I have sensed have fully understood since Sir Matt., the ethos of the club and the legacy he left to be carried on by the future managers of the club regardless of who the owners are. The two are Sir Alex and the present temp., manager OGS. Being the manager of Utd., is not only about managing the first team but continuing those standards set by Sir Matt, from the tea lady, scouting system, youth team and the layers of coaching and support staff. It is also about media presentation not only of the club but about the manager himself and his conduct when addressing the media. Ole in my opinion represents all the requirements of a Utd., manager.
Since Sir Alex we have appointed 3 managers whose CVs., were such that one would expect a high degree of competence and success, unfortunately for what ever reason none could meet the history or expectations of the club.
We now have a temp., manager who symbolises every aspect of the club, he has players ( if recent results show ) willing to run through brick walls for him, his conduct and approach to the media is excellent always up beat.
Not only are the results so far above what many on this forum expected under our previous manager but under Ole himself.
Could Poch., or any other manager achieved the results over a short period of time he has, could they continue the legacy of the club, I think not. Ole with the present coaching staff is in my opinion the only option which will bring future success to the club.
I enjoyed reading this post. Nice to see an experienced view that spans multiple decades

Bola

I just feel like OGS as a permanent manager seem too romantic.

Imagine if it didn't work out in the end? I don't want to ever find my self in a situation where i say Ole out.
We will probably get an excellent 20 - 30 years out of him before you have to worry about that

Kapardin

Almost all the players have improved under Ole. Only Sanchez has stayed the same, while Lukaku has regressed.

This style of play is very attractive and I would be interested to see what he can do with proper FBs and a RW. Though my heart bleeds for Poch at times, we obviously cannot overlook Ole when he is executing the job to near perfection.

Anders Agnalt

This could well have been mentioned in here before, but, does anyone think that the biggest contributing factor to our form since Ole arrived is actually the work being done by Phelan?

Maybe it’s just me overlooking Ole but there’s more to our performances recently than the players just being happy, some of the games have been tactically spot on and I can’t see him being capable of that so early only in his managerial career personally.
11 years experience including Manchester United reserves (3 years)

Skills

Snitch
He fecks over Liverpool and its a done dealio. Contract signed post match. Balloons, fireworks, the lot. Come on Ole!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

'Anyone could've done it' Paul Ince :lol:

Thisistheone

Think that was his best yet. A comfortable win at the Bridge... when does that ever happen to us? He's gone to London and won away to Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea in the space of about 30 days.

Tactically flexible. Loved the 4312 last night. Herrera was brilliant and ironic that he scored the opening goal because under Jose he is man-marking Hazard and not allowed into the Chelsea box at all.

Anyone know who's idea it was to bring in Ole? Massive credit there. Sometimes things just fit. When a manager has that unique understanding of a club, Pep and Barca, Zidane and Madrid, Simeone and Atletico, special things can happen. Obviously it doesn't work in every example but lets hope we get lucky for once and Solskjaer is that man for us where everything just clicks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Let’s put it this way - Ole is more experienced than Pep was when he took over Barca or zidane when he took over Madrid

Trizy

Play attacking football - Check
Scoring loads of goals - Check
Fix the away form - Check
Never die attitude even when losing - Check
Able to go toe to toe with the best teams - 3/3 so far (Arse, Chel, Spurs away Away) - Check
Bounce back after a loss - Check
Show tactic flexibility during games - Check

Apart from the way he set up against PSG (and being unlucky with injuries) he's done extremely well. However, we have absolutely no need to give him the contract right now and shouldn't. He's obviously our best option right now but lets just see how the season plays out.

The remaining test is can he build a team by signing the right players or will we have another LVG, Moyes and Jose (Yes he had awful signings too). This is where we need a director of football I feel.

crossy1686

career ending
It would be nice if people could just support the current manager until it’s official as to who our next permanent is instead of constantly pining for a manager from another club. The great Pochettino love in currently happening, despite our current manager working miracles, is uncomprehendable.

crossy1686

career ending
Let’s put it this way - Ole is more experienced than Pep was when he took over Barca or zidane when he took over Madrid
‘Not at this level’ - this makes me laugh. As if Solskjaer has been managing pub teams for the last 10 years.

Pretty sure he has also managed more games in European competition than other managers being linked to the job.

It’s a weak argument that people who have no knowledge outside of the PL through up. Baffling.

Judas

Open to offers
I really thought everyone would get behind Ole. I understand how divided fans were when Mourinho was in charge, I completely got it. But I'll be disgusted if Ole gets the job and there's certain parts of our fanbase still crying out for Poch and going on about the boring bloke.

Grande

Wait and see how Ole does long term. MP has experience of getting results from an under invested squad over the long term.

You can’t shortcut that kind of experience, and you can’t judge if Ole can do it from what we’ve seen so far.

Essentially, it’s hugely promising but we should wait as long as possible so we get it right.
You’re right in that MP has that experience that OGS lacks. Luckily we have them both working in tandem now!

Minimalist

Play attacking football - Check
Scoring loads of goals - Check
Fix the away form - Check
Never die attitude even when losing - Check
Able to go toe to toe with the best teams - 3/3 so far (Arse, Chel, Spurs away Away) - Check
Bounce back after a loss - Check
Show tactic flexibility during games - Check

Apart from the way he set up against PSG (and being unlucky with injuries) he's done extremely well. However, we have absolutely no need to give him the contract right now and shouldn't. He's obviously our best option right now but lets just see how the season plays out.

The remaining test is can he build a team by signing the right players or will we have another LVG, Moyes and Jose (Yes he had awful signings too). This is where we need a director of football I feel.
Absolutely nothing wrong with how he set us up against PSG. Tactics had little to do our defeat.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
‘Not at this level’ - this makes me laugh. As if Solskjaer has been managing pub teams for the last 10 years.

Pretty sure he has also managed more games in European competition than other managers being linked to the job.

It’s a weak argument that people who have no knowledge outside of the PL through up. Baffling.
Yeah it’s mad thinking, like I say pep and zidane never would have managed and broken records if everyone thought like that. Sometimes you just have to recognize what’s right in front of you