Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

JohnnyKills

It would be nice if people could just support the current manager until it’s official as to who our next permanent is instead of constantly pining for a manager from another club. The great Pochettino love in currently happening, despite our current manager working miracles, is uncomprehendable.
All I'm seeing is fans begging for him to be given the job when we've still got three and a half months of the season left and are under absolutely no time pressures.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
It's so funny to see how people are judging Ole for not using so called youngsters.

In Molde his team almost had the lowest average age of all the teams. He actually got some of the young ones playing so good that it became a problem in the press. And it became such a big problem that it probably costed Molde so that they didn't win the title this year.

It became a disturbance cause of how his very young striker played. Molde was by far the best team the last season. But they had a little down period in the summer if not they would have won the leauge. I also see that many here is talking down the Norwegian league as utter crap.

The fact is that we had several teams in the Europa league and some of the teams played several good matches. Solskjær have won his titles in crappyer leauge than premier league but he has still won. He has made he's team stay the best over 26 matches two times. He built those teams himself and that means that he know how to make winners.

Molde had never won the leauge before. If you can win in a crappy league you can also do the same in a bigger leauge. There are players and managers which comes from worse leagues all the time in front of every season in the premier league. Some makes it and some don't.

Solskjær is a winner that's a thing that some people have. You can't train to have that gene, it's just that some people have it.

I'm also really tired of seeing people taking up Cardiff all the time. He did one mistake in Cardiff he should not have taken that job because the entire club was a madhouse at that time. Vincent tan made that club a mess. I'm sure that the top 5 best managers would not have managed to keep Cardiff up much because of the owner. So stop talking about Cardiff cause MP, Guardiola non of them would done any better.

Personally i think the reason he took the Cardiff job was so that he would get experience so he one day could become manager for Manchester United.

There are a lot of good Norwegian football players out in the different leagues in europe at the moment. So it's not like we are San Marino or something. I would even recomend a cb called Kristoffer Ajer wich has taken Van Wijks spot in Celtic he is insane good. Could be the next Ronny Johnsen for United.

Reactions: Big-Red

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
No manager in the world would have came in and achieved the same results. Im certain of it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I read today that Paul Merson belives the Liverpool game is key to OGS's future in Manchester United.

"Win against Liverpool and that will give Ole a shot at the job".

I've heard this phrase by pundit in front of every single hard game so far. Tottenham away? Win. "But Arsenal will be the real test" Win. "But PSG Will be the real test" 2 key players injured at half time (0-0). 0-2 loss. OGS is flawed, should have played the youngsters bla bla. "The Chelsea game will be key for OGS". Win. "The Liverpool game will be key!!" ...

And so it keeps going. Moving the goalpost every single week to have something new to talk about.

Regarding the youngsters there's a very good point there, but there's a huge risk assesment that comes into play. Playing in the PL for Manchester United is absolutely crucial. We've just managed to make up an "impossible" amount of points, and playing the younglings in important games like that comes with a huge risk factor. We should remember that the final 11, however decided by OGS, comes after deliberation with the entire coaching staff. Even the subs that come on are dicussed and agreed on in concensus by the staff. Ole makes the call, after thorough input.

Anything short of an absolute meltdown and loss of a PL spot can jeopardize Ole's chance at retianing the manager chair for the next season at this point. He is just too popular among the bulk of the fans, and most importantly the players. What Pogba said after the game yesterday is going to carry a lot of weight. Smalling came out and said he wants Ole as the manager, and so has a lot of the players. There is a united consensus that the players thrive under the current management, and they are not going to change that with a new commodity if the formula is working.

Manchester United is special in its culture, from the long reign of Sir Alex to the legendary people that have been in the club the past decades. The club is all about home grown men, and home grown men should lead the club forwards.

It is i my belief that Ole will be announced as the next manager of Manchester United after the season ends, or before it ends if the CL spot is secured. What we should be curious about is: Who is going to join him on the bench next season? Will Mike Phelan be back? Or will Ole bring his own men? And if so, who?

And for the Pochettino fans, Oles team has absolutely trashed Poch's team on the table since he came here.

Reactions: Gandalf Greyhame

Grande

What we know about the Liverpool game is that Klopp has no plan B - they'll come at us at OT with a high frantic press, and quick transitions with the front three moving and linking up fluidly. VVD and co push the backline up high to close up the space their full backs and midfielders leave behind when they attack, and they all collectively drop a bit deeper to press opposition players to compress space and win the ball back. They'll go completely committed into every 50-50, and they'll go down easily in the final third.

They can be had on a counter attack, but our midfield needs to resist their press by moving the ball forward quickly - good movement is imperative, flanks who change positions to draw out VVD would be brilliant. Having Mata in the hole can be really helpful, because Pogba will be marked and we need another press-resistant creative outlet. Herrera and Matic need to be on top of their passing game, too. In defence, I hope we track their movement well, and be prepared for their midfield runners looking for cutbacks.

I look forward to seeing what Ole will have to offer. Would fecking love it if he managed a result against this lot.
We know how Mourinho has dealt with that, ten players tucked behind a tight paywall and Lukaku as the only outlet. It has led to some good results at the expense of all and anything that resembles football and why it became a world sport.

A problem now is that Liverpool now are better, but also have, if not a plan B, more strings to their bow. VVD pushing up adds aereal threat, they are more comfortable defensively. And they are good enough to open an established backline with their combinations.

Mata I think has shown he is not so press resistant playing centrally, so I think we are exposed when carrying the ball
In midfield. A counter attacking game might suit us, playing like we did away to Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.

Two wide forwards may once again be a good way to pin their full backs and drag VVD out.

TRUERED89

I was frustrated seeing the line-up, thinking Mata was on the fecking right again. But I was happy to see that it was a 4-4-2 diamond with Mata behind the strikers, and what a performance from him and everyone behind him really. Particularly Mr Herrera, LVG and the 'Finished One' totally undervalued him and never fecking played him.

For me, Herrera is playing like the best B2B midfielder in the world. He's all over the pitch, making tackles in his own box and scoring at the other. He's out of contract in the summer also, we have to get him renewed as a matter of urgency. As far as OGS, he has earned the job already, but the board should keep the players hungry and not announce anything until the end of the season. Chelsea will be damaged mentally, we have the initiative to really solidify top 4 now. Starting with the scouse this weekend, LETS DO EM'!! we are the most in form team domestically and we can challenge anyone on our day. Keep going lads we're all loving this!!

Reactions: Sultan

shaky

Pochettino:

Has qualified for the CL several times (which, in reality, is a bigger achievement than winning the FA or League Cup these days)
Is getting top 4 actually a great achievement? I mean, it's obviously really important for clubs, but is it a harder thing to achieve than winning a cup? There's an established "top 6", of which Arsenal are a busted flush these days, so it's pretty much 5 teams fighting over 4 CL spots. Getting top 4 is just a case of not being the worst team out of those 5, and with us and Chelsea serving up some stinkers in the past few years, it's been a pretty low bar to beat.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
In our heart of hearts, we all know this weekend’s game is his litmus test. It is the game for Manchester United. If we win, he’ll have something approaching deity status among the supporters and barring a cataclysmic disaster thereafter, he’ll land the job permanently.

crossy1686

career ending
All I'm seeing is fans begging for him to be given the job when we've still got three and a half months of the season left and are under absolutely no time pressures.
That's because we won last night. After PSG it's all been about why Pochettino should be the manager instead.

I think the whole argument is tired now and has run it's course. He'll get the job at the end of the season regardless of what happens between now and then. I just hope people stop with the bickering at that point because it's exhausting.

crossy1686

career ending
In our heart of hearts, we all know this weekend’s game is his litmus test. It is the game for Manchester United. If we win, he’ll have something approaching deity status among the supporters and barring a cataclysmic disaster thereafter, he’ll land the job permanently.
The game at the weekend doesn't matter and although every United fan (and City fan) in the world wants us to win, he won't be judged on it.

Klopp has built that team in his image and has had years to do it. Solskjaer will have been in a job for 11 weeks with a weakened team he inherited. If he gets anything out of it he's a fecking genius and better than I'm giving him credit for.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The game at the weekend doesn't matter and although every United fan (and City fan) in the world wants us to win, he won't be judged on it.

Klopp has built that team in his image and has had years to do it. Solskjaer will have been in a job for 11 weeks with a weakened team he inherited. If he gets anything out of it he's a fecking genius and better than I'm giving him credit for.
I fully agree with you here but even if we draw this game all Ole sceptics will be in full force calling for him to be gone in the Summer. Anything but 100% record is unacceptable for some.

crossy1686

career ending
I fully agree with you here but even if we draw this game all Ole sceptics will be in full force calling for him to be gone in the Summer. Anything but 100% record is unacceptable for some.
Luckily for us, people on this forum don't get to decide who our next manager is, the board do and they will have already made a decision on the matter.

Viral United

People need to understand that, Ole is giving audition for Manager job, for all clubs who will looking for Manager job next season.
Let say if Chelsea sack Sarri and in search for permanent manager job for next season, what's stopping them to contact Ole?
He will have lots of job offers weather we offer him Job or not.

Remember this,
When SAF was retiring we waited till May to give job offer.
And according to SAF all other candidate had committed their service for different clubs and we ended with David fecking Moyes.

shaky

People need to understand that, Ole is giving audition for Manager job, for all clubs who will looking for Manager job next season.
Let say if Chelsea sack Sarri and in search for permanent manager job for next season, what's stopping them to contact Ole?

Remember this,
And according to SAF all other candidate had committed their service for different clubs and we ended with David fecking Moyes.
There's not the remotest chance in a million years that Ole ends up committing to another club while the Utd job is still up for grabs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Remember this,
Solskjaer's dream is ManUtd job, he won't do anything to harm his chances. Ole as any professional will back himself to get the job and he knows he will be judged at the end of the season.

crossy1686

career ending
There's not the remotest chance in a million years that Ole ends up committing to another club while the Utd job is still up for grabs.
If we end up with anyone but Solskjaer come August I'm going to absolutely lose my shit over the clubs management by the board. I'll lose it slightly less if it's Pochettino but I'll still be fecking annoyed.

tieunhilang

Well, last time we dithered with Carlos Tevez under the premise that he loves his time at Manchester United and look how that pissed him off. "Welcome to Manchester" still hurts til now...

Viral United

I know Ole love United but that doesn't mean he is crazy to wait till final day of season to decide his future.
If he get good Manager offer and we didn't commit anything then he can take that job.

Grande

Almost all the players have improved under Ole. Only Sanchez has stayed the same, while Lukaku has regressed.

This style of play is very attractive and I would be interested to see what he can do with proper FBs and a RW. Though my heart bleeds for Poch at times, we obviously cannot overlook Ole when he is executing the job to near perfection.
Looking at the Lukaku who played most of this autumn before Mourinho benched him, do you really think he has regressed from then. I am quite the fan of Lukaku, I think he was one of our 2-3 best and most important players last season, but this season has been consistently frustrating for him.

Viral United

Solskjaer's dream is ManUtd job, he won't do anything to harm his chances. Ole as any professional will back himself to get the job and he knows he will be judged at the end of the season.
As professional he will also understand that, this is his biggest opportunity to get good manager job,
If we don't commit why he should wait and sabotage his opportunity?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I know Ole love United but that doesn't mean he is crazy to wait till final day of season to decide his future.
If he get good Manager offer and we didn't commit anything then he can take that job.
There is a 100% chance that A) Ed will let Ole know if he's being slotted for the job way in advance of anyone else knowing about it. Either by signal from the Glazer family, or the board has simply made up their minds in the backroom. B) If Chelsea for example made Ole an offer, they would not do it before the season was over and his tenure with the club was over.

Its important to know just how important this club is to Ole. Compare it to taking your 7 year old son to the carnival to catch some rides. You stand in line to ride bumpercars together, but then you decide that you're going to let him stand there and look while you ride with another kid and have a blast. Maybe even give your kid the finger and tell him to stop crying.

That scenario, is just as likely as Ole not staying the course with his Manchester United gig.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
And for the Pochettino fans, Oles team has absolutely trashed Poch's team on the table since he came here.
He's absolutely trashed Klopp and Guardiola as well, even more so actually. Must be the best manager in the world.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He's absolutely trashed Klopp and Guardiola as well, even more so actually. Must be the best manager in the world.
Or he's managing a really good team. The point was that the grass is not always greener. At this point Pochettino is only a "What if" thought, not proof of concept.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As professional he will also understand that, this is his biggest opportunity to get good manager job,
If we don't commit why he should wait and sabotage his opportunity?
Because he knows his work will be judged at the end of the season, not game by game like caftards like to do.

Mr Smith

His away record against Big Six sides now reads 3 for 3. Impressive stuff.
That's actually amazing when you consider our away record against the big 6 over the last 3-4 years. There have been very few away victories since Fergie retired (or even when Fergie was still around).

SER19

Away wins at Chelsea, Tottenham and arsenal. Leicester a tough away game too. I think ole should be boss, announced in May

Lelouch geass

I think keyword for Ole's job security is fluidity in playing style with results. He came in mid season with less time to work on players. Team is scoring goals and scrapping out results. If team can have bit more consistency throughout the 90 mins in and add better control ole should get the job

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is getting top 4 actually a great achievement? I mean, it's obviously really important for clubs, but is it a harder thing to achieve than winning a cup? There's an established "top 6", of which Arsenal are a busted flush these days, so it's pretty much 5 teams fighting over 4 CL spots. Getting top 4 is just a case of not being the worst team out of those 5, and with us and Chelsea serving up some stinkers in the past few years, it's been a pretty low bar to beat.
For a club like us it's not much of an achievement. For Spurs and their limitations it's an excellent achievement.

As for Ole, he's doing an incredible job. The transformation since he's joined is something nobody saw coming. The most heartening thing is the improvement of nearly every single individual. The only small skepticism I'd offer right now sat in my wait and watch chair, is that I'd like to see our domination of possession and football matches improve. At Spurs and Chelsea we've given up the ball for large periods of the game. Against PSG they bossed the midfield. And generally we've been playing more and more on the counter. With a view to judge Ole being the right man for us, I'd like to see how much he can improve us on the ball.

Aside from that, hats off to him. He's truly re-United the club and seemingly lifted a huge weight off everybody's shoulders. Suddenly we dont have a rubbish attack. Finally, after 5.5 seasons. Madness.

I'm fully behind him getting the job at the end of the season but i can't help feeling like he might be a bit limited tactically for the long term, like we're hiring a Klopp type who will get us playing well but ultimately can't quite go the last mile. He's the right man to steady the ship and get us back to where we were but i'm not fully sold beyond that yet. Ironically, Liverpool will be a big test of it.

Untd55

Easily the best game under Solskjaer and the first time we have actually looked organised for a while. This is the kind of performance level that needs to be reached for Solskjaer to become manager. We have had poor performances recently (Burnley, PSG and Leicester), so this was an important step and I hope he is able to bring equally good performances against Liverpool and PSG. We were diabolical against PSG last week so I am expecting an improvement on that.

Also, I like the formation that we played against Chelsea and wonder whether this actually suits us more than the 4-3-3, so I would like to see us play it again. I think it benefits Pogba and Herrera having someone (Mata) in front of them continuously as it gives both of them even more freedom to play. I would like to see it with Martial in place of Lukaku.

OverratedOpinion

People need to stop talking about every game as if it is a make or break game that will either define him as our manager for the next 25 years or a nice chap keeping the job warm until the Spurs coach gets here.

We will absolutely lose games, every manager does and that rings especially true in a league as competitive as this when you take over a side in transition. The change he has made is there for all to see and I have said in another thread that he may not be the best manager out there but I have a suspicion that he may be the best manager for us. I personally think he already has the job, the board will know full well that he has created a really romantic "what if" that would hang over the head of any other coach that came in at the end of the season.

Keep the right people around him, get 2 or 3 good players in the positions we are lacking in and give him time and confidence to build a team that plays the way we all expect United to play.

P.S. Pochettino's sole achievements at Spurs have been playing decent football and changing a top 6 team into a top 4 team. That is after 5 years, Ole has done a similar job in 5 weeks.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Knew you'd come around eventually.
He's done incredibly well so far, and I've always liked him. I'm personally just tired of seeing all the comments of how he compares to Pochettino when in fact it's very difficult to compare the two before Ole has had time to form a team. Most of Pochettinos best qualities have been his ability to develop a club mentality, develop players, patterns of play and consistently perform and adapt. If Solskjaer gets the job he could show the same qualities or he could fail and get fired. I think he's worth betting on if I was a United fan because of how much he is getting out of the group right now, and the fact that he is a club legend.
He is.

Bite
He might be, Guardiola and Zidane didn't have experience and did very well. I think he probably is the correct fit for the club right now considering you're not getting Poch anyway.

Bite

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He should be appointed by now. The form we Are in is incredible. The atmosphere around the club have also taken a 180 since he was hired.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
While I was enjoying the ride, I've still been an advocate for Pochettino getting the job. He may not have won anything with Spurs, butu he has done fantastically well with them and seemed the safer bet than the romantic idea of Ole getting the job full time though.

As time has moved on and we have to start acknowledging that this is more than just a honeymoon period for Ole then it's obvious that he is now favourite for the job.

One thing that can't be overlooked is how much he learned from SAF. I know we had this argument about Giggs when he took over. Some said, "he's spent his whole career playing under the greatest manager of all time, how can he not have learned loads?" But you only learn if you actually want to learn and early on Ole told us about taking notes and watching everything Sir Alex did when he was still a player here.

He seems to be proving me wrong and looks more and more like our next manager every single day.

Ban

Every new game is the ultimate test for him it seems. It's just a way of saying yeah he's good and all but let's get Poch...