g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

kundalini

At least this way we learn more about our players. They can't hide behind Mourinho's tactics, personality etc.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Already hit the right note in his little statement calling the squad 'talented'. Has to start lifting the confidence. Hope it works...

crossy1686

career ending
I love Ole but I can still see why there's a question mark about that. Of course, his history at United should instantly earn him respect inside the club but most players probably don't care too much about that after all.
The way he will be treated by fans, staff and the board will immediately show anyone who's around that he has full support and backing from everyone due to the high regard in which he's held at the club. If as a player you can't get behind that, there is no place for you at the club.

Trophy Room

Well that's cleared everything up.

We don't know enough about either to make such sweeping statements about them. They might well not work out, but they at least deserve a chance to show what they can do, and there's no better time than now.
What you'll find is that for a short while everyones performance levels will increase, Fred and Pereira will have some moments where posts such as mine will get quoted and laughed at but eventually what you'll consistently see is medocrity. We have to aim for higher calibre players if we want to challenge for titles again (this does not necessarily mean spending big). Anyway they seem like good lads so lets hope you're right.

Alabaster Codify7

Okay then, let's get behind the blokes and hope for at least some enjoyable football from now until the summer!

No expectations whatsoever and no pressure on them, just let the lads try and play and enjoy themselves. Give some youth a chance.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Just realised that Ole managed Pogba (and Jesse) before when he was in charge of the reserves. That’s a plus.
When we signed Pogba, I remember Solskjaer commented on the transfer and he said something about how he was the one that first took him from playing as a DM to an AM in the reserves-team. He said because of his technical and attacking qualities he should be closer to the goal. So I suspect Pogba will be pushed forward at least under Ole.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We say he's not big enough to be respected by players but who in our squad is a bigger player than he was? Not many

Dante

Average bang
Just realised that Ole managed Pogba (and Jesse) before when he was in charge of the reserves. That’s a plus.
I think that's quite a big deal. From the outside looking in, it seems as though Pogba is the leader of the dressing room.

Sometimes all you need to win over a group is to win over its leader. Looks like Ole might have a head start on that.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Never said it wasn't but the answer to the first question was "no he shouldn't continue, we should look for someone else", I asked what the point in that would be and the response was "because he doesn't look like the right man to take the club forward right now". Hence my response, honestly not sure why you're defending someone else's bipolar posting?
I don't get what's "bipolar" about his posting. His first answer was "we should look for someone else" and his second answer elaborated on that with "because he isn't the right man to take us forward".

Whether you agree with that assessment is another matter, but it certainly follows logically and was a perfectly reasonably response to the question posed.

Reddevil1978

He's come to Old Trafford for a reason
He's come to rescue our season
No longer will the football be dire
Welcome home Ole gunnar solskjaer

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
The optimist in me:

Football is really not a very complicated game. We see teams play the same formation week in week out with only minor tweaks. What really sets a team apart is having skilled (and intelligent) players who can pull it off consistently and a manager who can keep them motivated 24*7. We Ole can do this.

The pessimist in me:

Football is more complicated that what meets the eye. We see teams play the same formation week in week out but the devil is in the minor details which only a top manager can pull off.
Your inner pessimist is correct.

IAmAWinner

Very happy about this, hope he restores the feel-good factor back to the club.
If he somehow manages top 4 and semi-finals of the champions league, give him the job full time.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What you'll find is that for a short while everyones performance levels will increase, Fred and Pereira will have some moments where posts such as mine will get quoted and laughed at but eventually what you'll consistently see is medocrity. We have to aim for higher calibre players if we want to challenge for titles again (this does not necessarily mean spending big). Anyway they seem like good lads so lets hope you're right.
I'm just baffled by this desire to completely write players off. We're seeing it all over the shop with Lukaku, and now we're chucking more names into the hat.

Let's see what they can do when playing the football we want to play first.

Dante

Average bang
From all the comments I've seen about him, it sounds as Ole will need most help on the defensive side. Hopefully, Phelan has been brought back with that specific brief. I've no idea if its his strength, though.

It would have been nice to bring back somebody like Quieroz, who has a track record of helping to build defences as the Assistant Manager.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ole doesn't really excite me as I am not too impressed by his managerial results.
But Phelan - this is the guy who absolutely knows how to train a team to attack, hard! With Phelan, you know that we are not going to sit back and park the bus. In fact, I don't think Phelan even knows how to do that.

Do bear in mind though, this is just for 6 months, so I'm not too bothered. The main thing is that we get the next managerial appointment, correct.

Von Mistelroum

I love Ole, but I think he'll have a couple of good games to start while we're buzzing and then fall off terribly. Please prove me wrong!

Trizy

Wasn't sure with Olé appointment but very happy he's got Phelan as his no.2.

Now I'm excited.

freddie the red

I'm not bothered about all the analysis of whether his record stacks up enough to take on United, I'll be happy enough to see some entertaining football for the rest of the season after the cloud's been lifted.
We have some very good players and if Pogba can pull his finger out we could see the very best of him alongside bringing out the best of the rest of the squad.
I'm happy with the appointment, interim or orherwise!!

MUM

I wish them both all the very best in their task of getting stability back into the team. They know the club inside and out and are both respected for what they have given to the club in the past.

Trophy Room

Right. A Brazil regular and our most technically proficient youngster - both mediocre.

It displays terrible judgement anyway, but what's even worse is that you're making it on the back of a half-season on Mourinho meltdown which even made Hazard look like crap at Chelsea.

Serious question: why do you think Brazil - currently ranked third in the world - selects Fred when he is apparently so terrible?
I think I inadvertently set off some rockets with my post, lets not derail the thread any further. :lol: Okay Chromepaxos, I hope they turn out to be our midfield saviours.

SteveW

Phelan is a huge plus. SAF gave him a huge amount of responsibility in his later days. He did pretty much all the training

Pughnichi

This will have been planned for a while. The timing perfect with a good few ‘easier’ fixtures coming up will get any doubters on side.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’m really looking forward to seeing how he does. I was impressed with what he’s done at Molde, especially in the Europa league. I don’t think he was suited at all to a relegation scrap in Cardiff.

rpg

Why i suddenly felt very excited for the next game. Cant wait to see them players unleashed on the field. Are the players really good enough or are they not enough quality. All will be found out next 5 months

John Blund

According to news, Ole has promised his 10-year-old son that they won't move from his hometown again. His current club (Molde) also released that they have a temporary solution while OGS is a caretaker for MUFC this season. I'd love to see us win the rest of the games this season, but I'm realistic. Board wasn't ready to back up Mourinho for another transfer window, while Mourinho keeps benching/burning his former purchases. We've gone for the "obvious" free choice before (LVG), and we've failed. Now the realistic free managers would be Zidane, Blanc and perhaps Conte.

As for caretakers, we could look towards Huges or Bruce, but I'm not sure they would accept a caretaker role.

Funky Futurista

Think he'll do well in the man management part, and with a little help from Phelan he might handle the Premier League a bit better than last time. I'm nervous and unsure, but we'll just have to put all our faith into him! Good luck, Ole!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This will have been planned for a while. The timing perfect with a good few ‘easier’ fixtures coming up will get any doubters on side.
I did wonder if we planned to do a Lopetegui with Jose. Get the Liverpool game out the way for whoever comes in after.

red4ever 79

Interested to see Phelen back more than Ole. Phelen was very much hands on with the coaching and traditions throughout the SAF era. Also interested to see the dynamics between Phelen and Pogba. Werent they involved in some twitter nonsense earlier in the season, actually I think it was Phelen and the agent when after the game when Pogba gave the ball away 22 times if I understand.

One thing I would be totally against however is allowing the management structure to identify transfer targets, these men are not qualified. I want a DOF installed, and the new manager in the summer to work within a dedicated plan.

LoveFootball

Love the guy but he should be no where near the role. Finding positives for the decision kinda shows the desperation for any kind of change right now.
This. I've zero confident in him bringing our swagger back. Yes it's a good love story but at the end what matters is is he competent to run a club of this caliber? His last stint at Cardiff was a disaster and as a manager he has no experience of high level of football, he has never been in this position before. Legend or not I think this is another stupid decision from our board, we could easily find ourselves fighting relegation by end of season. His Cardiff team was far away from playing the good football people want to see here. Hope he proves me wrong because he's a legend of the club and left many good memories from his time here, one of my preferred player, but I've zero confident in him as a manager.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I'm not quite getting some of the negativity on this. What's so hard to understand about the term interim?
I'm made up with Ole getting 6 months to put the smile back on the faces of players and fans alike and hopefully prepare a confident squad ready for the new manager to come in and take over.

stepic

This. I've zero confident in him bringing our swagger back. Yes it's a good love story but at the end what matters is is he competent to run a club of this caliber? His last stint at Cardiff was a disaster and as a manager he has no experience of high level of football, he has never been in this position before. Legend or not I think this is another stupid decision from our board, we could easily find ourselves fighting relegation by end of season. His Cardiff team was far away from playing the good football people want to see here. Hope he proves me wrong because he's a legend of the club and left many good memories from his time here, one of my preferred player, but I've zero confident in him as a manager.
Fighting relegation, Jesus

Cardiff had a rubbish squad. That’s why he didn’t succeed with them. Our squad is not rubbish. It’s not great but it’s not rubbish.

He’s here for 6 months. No top tier manager is taking an interim role. Why is that so difficult to understand?

ottosec

A perfect choice, really.

I know people are concerned about his tactical capabilities, and perhaps they are right, or perhaps not, it's hard to say.

But whatever the truth is regarding his tactical knowledge, that's not so important now, our season is already fecked anyway. Finishing 6th or 7th makes little difference to us.

What we truly need now is positivity. And you'd struggle to find a more positive guy than Ole. Look at our other legends: Neville, Keane, Scholes - they spout so much shit about the club and the players that it's no wonder United choose to have little to do with them these days.

After Mourinho pretty much burned the crops and poisoned the wells, we need someone to pick up the pieces, someone to change the mood around the club and to give our players their confidence back. Because, no matter what some idiots say, we do have a strong team. A strong team that is greatly underperforming.

He also knows many of our current players from the days he was coaching the reserves and more importantly he likes to play young players. By the end of the season, we could at least see if there are any young players that can be counted on.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Am I the only one stoked to see Phelan back at Carrington? Christ sakes he was Fergies right hand man, this feels like we are going back in time! Is it a good thing? Definitely feel nostalgic
I am more excited to have Phelan back, rather than Ole.
Ole is only here for 6 months, but hopefully if Phelan does a good job, he will stay as part of the coaching team, under the new manager.

bakalopp

That Cardiff squad was rubbish, next season the exactly same squad finished 11th in Championship. If they were any good.

Last edited by a moderator: