Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Andy_Cole

I feel like we’re better than any opposition.

When we attack we look like scoring.

We’re not desperate anymore.

BlueHaze

Give him a proper CB like Koulibaly or De Ligt. Get him a young RW with world class potential like Sancho and a top quality CM and I think he could make us title contenders. Now my only worry is how he and the team will react to a negative result which will happen sooner or later. But yeah if the performances keep looking like this till May then I'd give him the job.

J_XO

I like how we have played different styles well - the fast counter attacks away to Spurs/Arsenal, and our ability to dominate with the ball and suffocate teams. It's genuinely exciting to watch us again and with the correct signings we are definitely on the right tracks.

OldSchoolManc

Who the hell are the 9.6% that are saying that he ISN’T a good appointment right now?!
Kick them straight out the park!

Canagel

Deserves all the plaudits and then some.

However, I know I'm being greedy here but I'd like to see more control. Specifically midfield control.

If by the end of the season we can impose ourselves against teams like Arsenal/Spurs/City/Liverpool by counter pressing and dominating periods of the game when we're the ones being pressed, that will really impress me.

Conceding possession and playing on the counter attack is extremely pragmatic and all you can hope for after only a month or so coaching, so I get that. It's just Matic, Pogba and Herrera should really be able to dominate midfields one-to-one and control games against Spur's and Arsenal's midfield easily if we set up for it.

Defensively, our line needs to be higher and more aggressive. Then our team pressing can be more tighter/tactical. Right now we are being coached very smartly by relying on fundamentals, good man management and individual brilliance/ability across the pitch.
Really good post and agree.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Give him a 2 years contract.

Last edited:

RedFish

In no time at all he's got us purring, and chomping at the bit to see our next game. And to think I was willing to give more time to (Moyes, LVG and then Mourinho). He's made a fool out of me and I couldn't be happier.

Getting everything to click is so difficult and Ole's made it look easy. Getting in an outsider at this stage would be a brave, brave decision. I don't care where we finish ( he's clearly enabled us to compete for top 4), he's shown he can win under difficult circumstances and there's clearly much more to come. I've seen enough, I want him in the job long term.

Red Stone

The inbreds over at RAWK still loving the fact that we're winning every game because they're convinced Ole will be a failure if he's brought in permanently. Special bunch.

Mr Smith

Give him a proper CB like Koulibaly or De Ligt. Get him a young RW with world class potential like Sancho and a top quality CM and I think he could make us title contenders. Now my only worry is how he and the team will react to a negative result which will happen sooner or later. But yeah if the performances keep looking like this till May then I'd give him the job.
This is the only thing holding me back from being 100% in the Ole camp. He's ticking almost every other box at the moment.

FujiVice

I think the dream is he handles a loss like Sir Alex used to. How many times did we see him lose to Chelsea or go to Anfield and get beat or even just have one of those Fergie off days where Portsmouth or Bolton would randomly smash us. And then we'd go on a run of 12 unbeaten as a reaction to it. Defeats are part of the game. Its how you handle them, and I think Solksjaer and Phelan will be prepared for it. I mean, I dont even think they expected us to go 8 out of 8. Its a ridiculous run of form. Also a run of form few have done in the English game over this period. Who wins every game over Christmas and continues to keep the form up? This is a fantastic achievement, regardless of how shite we were or werent prior to Decemeber 15.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes given me hope that with a bit of luck, who knows whatll happen in the CL. What else do you want?

Red Stone

This is the only thing holding me back from being 100% in the Ole camp. He's ticking almost every other box at the moment.
I see the point, but it's weird that he has to lose a game to fully convince us he's the right choice.

The United

I get it that people want to see how he and the team will react once they lose.

But, ffs, just enjoy the dam wins for now. The longer we have to wait for it to see, the better for us.

Lam

Mou won 3-1 last season despite Pogba trying to sabotage it by getting sent off.

Ole hasn’t won after going behind. We are still 6th. No players signed in January.

Sack Ole. Sell Rashford (I’ll be happy if I can say this 5 years later).

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Watching the Café these days is like night and day compared to before Solskjaer. I struggle with handling the positivity in here ;)What a crazy transformation you have gone through. Not even the most positive Man Unitedfan would have predicted that I'm sure. You've had some tough games recently and managed them too, so the optimism is understandable.

Whether it's form or your real strenght remains to be seen, but you're on fire right now that's for sure. If you keep it up and get top4, or even third, with deep cupruns, there's no way Solskjaer isn't getting the job, and rightly so.

automaticflare

I think the dream is he handles a loss like Sir Alex used to. How many times did we see him lose to Chelsea or go to Anfield and get beat or even just have one of those Fergie off days where Portsmouth or Bolton would randomly smash us. And then we'd go on a run of 12 unbeaten as a reaction to it. Defeats are part of the game. Its how you handle them, and I think Solksjaer and Phelan will be prepared for it. I mean, I dont even think they expected us to go 8 out of 8. Its a ridiculous run of form. Also a run of form few have done in the English game over this period. Who wins every game over Christmas and continues to keep the form up? This is a fantastic achievement, regardless of how shite we were or werent prior to Decemeber 15.

It really is an incredible run and no one would have predicted it. Really enjoying watching us at the moment

automaticflare

I get it that people want to see how he and the team will react once they lose.

But, ffs, just enjoy the dam wins for now. The longer we have to wait for it to see, the better for us.
Yeah fook that just keep winning for the next 20 years no problem

littleman

Why do we need to wait and see how he handles a loss? He's managed for years and has lost a lot.

Given how well the team is playing and Ole's personality, I have no doubt they will be resilient and bounce back.

I think managing the team against the upcoming calendar is a bigger test than bouncing back from a loss. It's not clear to me what Ole would prioritize and if it's the right call. Utilizing Sanchez, Lukaku, Fred, McT, Darmian and Valencia appropriately for the rest of the season is important because it's a dressing room where the egos are larger than he's ever managed.

I suspect it'll all go swimmingly; can't imagine Poch or Zidane doing better although the latter being a BPOTW will automatically command a lot of respect.

Ole
Zidane
Poch

For me

hn4manunited

Even his celebration after goals look like young Fergie. :drool:
I agree. He does have a way of carrying himself and at times he does resemble fergie at a glance. Charming personality for sure and have done a great job so far.

What I want to see is how he handles keeping these players playing at this level. I have a suspiscion that the day will come where some or most players will no longer be performing at this honeymoon period level. Yes, we may be a bit beyond the honeymoon period but as long as we’re winning the honeymoon period and momentum continues.

Don’t get me wrong...IMO, it is and should be Ole’s job to lose now. I’m enjoying our run of form and happiness.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The biggest compliment I can give him is the fact that our team now has a natural rhythm during the game. Every player knows exactly where they can pass it comfortably without thinking and every player is now more comfortable making dribbles and taking riskier touches much more than before. When that is the case we can play and punish any ANY opposition. I can’t remember the last time we looked that fluid.

Pogba links the left side of the field with Shaw, martial, rash, matic beautifully. Herrera effortlessly links young, Dalot, lingard, mata and lulaku down the right. These passing lanes are just always there. Things were never fluid and last time I remembered it looking this easy for our players was 08/09.

There’s no team that can play us now and feel comfortable. It’s impossible with pogba, rash, martial, lingard, lukaku and Sanchez ready to pounce. We are feared again :devil:

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We are beyond the new manager bounce and honeymoon phase (ended Vs Spurs) and the machine keeps on humming. He is making a compelling case for the permanent spot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's made some very astute tactical decisions to out fox the two North London clubs. If he gets us into the top 4 after many had written us off, then he deserves the job. I'd rather have Ole over Poch. With Ole, we'll keep Phelan and McKenna too, which will be fantastic for us going forward.

Adnandos

You could argue that the Spurs game was the real “test of adversity” instead of response to a loss. The fact that we managed to win that game despite Spurs insistently hammering De Gea’s gloves shows we had the character and belief to hold out and get the win

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He had made changes to affect he game. There's been times we have dropped off and his subs have closed the win out.

Even today taking lingard off was sensible.
Off the top of my head there was the match where he subbed Herrera (another of his first choices) in for Fred to regain control, and another when Lukaku came on to score in a match we were already dominating. While obviously they were good moments, they aren't quite what I am talking about. If we already have our strongest team out there, can he make changes (either tactical or subs) during a match to get us on top when we are struggling? It hasn't really happened the two or three times we've been in that situation yet. On the flip side it's only been a couple of times and the players we'd probably been hoping would give him the options have been injured or not played well previously when they had their chances.

It is something I'm interested to see in the future though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Someone should take Ince to the conference room and explain how many tactical changes Ole did to win 8/8.

His decision to move Lingard as false 9 is looking very good, especially vs FBs who attack a lot. Wide forwards stay higher up the pitch, so it's easier to counter attack with few options to pass the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Off the top of my head there was the match where he subbed Herrera (another of his first choices) in for Fred to regain control, and another when Lukaku came on to score in a match we were already dominating. While obviously they were good moments, they aren't quite what I am talking about. If we already have our strongest team out there, can he make changes (either tactical or subs) during a match to get us on top when we are struggling? It hasn't really happened the two or three times we've been in that situation yet. On the flip side it's only been a couple of times and the players we'd probably been hoping would give him the options have been injured or not played well previously when they had their chances.

It is something I'm interested to see in the future though.
Vs Huddersfield at home, subbed in Young and Herrera for Fred and Dalot and then we looked very comfortable in the game. It was good change.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Vs Huddersfield at home, subbed in Young and Herrera for Fred and Dalot and then we looked very comfortable in the game. It was good change.
Yes, but that was bringing two of our first choice players on (I forgot about Young for Dalot as well) for the two squad players that had taken their spot for the game and were struggling. It was a very good change, but it was also quite an obvious one to make. Much like bringing on Rashford and Martial in this match. Good change, but relatively easy and obvious that most people expected. I want to see what he can do when the strongest 11 isn't working and it's not so obvious what he should do.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I want to see what he can do when the strongest 11 isn't working and it's not so obvious what he should do.
Mata, Fellaini, Lukaku, Sanchez, McTominay or youngsters. The options are still the same as under Mourinho. If we had a player like Hernandez, Solskjaer, or even a young Mata, generally better alternatives, then I would look forward to see him changing things up in game. But with our squad if our strongest 11 isn't working, we are in for some trouble. Sanchez is probably the only potential match-winner on the bench.

Thiagoal

The thing I have noticed most since Mou is the way all our players are attacking the space! Even the CB's are dribbling/ running FORWARDS which instantly puts the opposition on the back foot. I didn't think Matic had it in him but he's looking like a new player! Our second goal yesterday was due to Shaw running forward diagonally and taking four or five players out the game before putting Rom through. Love how aggressive we are: long may it continue!

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Yes, but that was bringing two of our first choice players on (I forgot about Young for Dalot as well) for the two squad players that had taken their spot for the game and were struggling. It was a very good change, but it was also quite an obvious one to make. Much like bringing on Rashford and Martial in this match. Good change, but relatively easy and obvious that most people expected. I want to see what he can do when the strongest 11 isn't working and it's not so obvious what he should do.
Plus I want to see how he reacts in an armagedon situation, what he does when a player goes suiciadial and how he reacts to another terror attack in the city.

Can we stop with looking for artificial challenges for Ole? He has does magnificiently well, hes not a rookie coach, he was tought by the greatest manager of all time and was part of a team with the strogest charcter of all time. If jose got those players beating Newcastle from 0-2 down, than Ole could as well. As he always says, the players are there and they are good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bringing on Rashford and Martial when we're up 2-1 away from home at Arsenal. Abso-fecking-lutely love it. A refreshing change and exactly what United fans have wanted for a long time

Pavl3n

We've been great. Every time someone has doubted us we came with the win.
Happy that today's win was more comfortable, with less nail biting at the end. Is it because Arsenal are a weak opposition or because we are executing our tactics better? I don't know. Time will tell.
Still, as much as I'm enjoying all the results, which I really am, I am cautiously looking forward at the games we have in February and March. PSG, City and Liverpool. These are really the tests that will clear the picture.
I know all three teams have very dangerous attacks, but if we go to our strength and put them to the sword and we fail to come on top because of lack of quality at the back, then I'll be both arms and legs for Ole.
Now I am both legs and one arm.

The United

We've been great. Every time someone has doubted us we came with the win.
Happy that today's win was more comfortable, with less nail biting at the end. Is it because Arsenal are a weak opposition or because we are executing our tactics better? I don't know. Time will tell.
Still, as much as I'm enjoying all the results, which I really am, I am cautiously looking forward at the games we have in February and March. PSG, City and Liverpool. These are really the tests that will clear the picture.
I know all three teams have very dangerous attacks, but if we go to our strength and put them to the sword and we fail to come on top because of lack of quality at the back, then I'll be both arms and legs for Ole.
Now I am both legs and one arm.
Well, any manager could lose any of those games if not all.

I do think that the way we play would suit against teams like those you mentioned above as they don't use hoofball too much and they use FBs who leave space behind them. Our back line need to dominate in the air a bit more and win 2nd ball imo. But, if teams play on ground mostly, our back line is not that bad.

So, I would fancy us against any of those teams.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's making a strong case. We know Oles Character. He lost games in a United shirt before. So I've no doubt we're seeing good signs. Even conceding last night, we didn't get nervous. Our moral and excitement have been raised to a high level. I've enjoyed all 8 games. Even if it's not always clicking, there are often patches of intent and the players are creating a healthy environment that now we would be an attraction to play for. A club where the fans, players and management are in sync. Even if we lose a game, I've no doubt Ole would know what to say. Ole is getting the maximum out of this group. Players are happy and he's rotating and he can relate to players because that was how it was for him and he's got the perfect example of patience by scoring a goal in champions league final. It would be easy almost at this point, to have forgotten how far we'd fallen. This is now the group who finished 2nd in the league last season. There's still much to do but an improvement in results/performance spells job. Hopefully it continues