Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Why does this even matter? it’s just superstitious, OGS is not a stranger to this club, he won’t become complacent all of a sudden, and I don’t see why there should be any extra pressure because of this announcement.
He did fantastically well, beyond anyone’s expectation, it makes sense.
Why cause unecessary disruption? And there will be from the press. Endless interviews plus all the needless social bollocks the club will put out as a result. Let Ole straight bat the questions as he has been doing until the summer.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why cause unecessary disruption? And there will be from the press. Endless interviews plus all the nedless social bollocks the club will put out as a result. Let Ole straight bat the questions as he has been doing until the summer.
I agree with this. No need, he’s caretaker till the summer, everyone’s happy, no need for this.

LInkash

You could argue..why not get it out of the way? He's being asked about his future every interview and it gets tedious.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Mirror piece is from John Cross and he's a decent Journalist.

Cross also writes, that we want to make the announcement very soon, so we can start planning for next season.

Which is music to my ears..^

peridigm

Some pundit or other suggested that the players want Ole, and are playing out of their skin to ensure he gets the job. If confirmed too early, they might let their shoulders down and our results could suffer.

I honestly just think the players like Ole, and that they'll continue doing their best for him regardless of if he's confirmed or not.
That pundit sounds like the stupidest son of a bitch I’ve ever heard. Oh, oh, Ole has the job so let’s all relax a play EL next season.

Captainkit

I don't get the fuss about announcing anything now. For all we know, he might have been told by Woodward or the Glazers that the job is his but they are avoiding announcing it because of the effect it might have on our season (which makes absolute sense).

I'll say no need to announce anything. The club should carry on as it is till the end of season. Would be a nice feeling when we lift the UCL on June 1st and on June 2nd the club announces it with Ole on the famous piano playing "Ole's at the wheel"

OohAahMartial

We are probably already negotiating player transfers, as well of course as player contract extensions. A key part of that will be players wanting to know who the manager is and will be. Need to get it sorted soon.

Nirv

We are probably already negotiating player transfers, as well of course as player contract extensions. A key part of that will be players wanting to know who the manager is and will be. Need to get it sorted soon.
This is probably true for existing players contract extensions as they have experienced first hand how the manager is like and be influenced by that. But for player transfers, OGS name as a manager I doubt will be the attraction outside of our club and players who are already man utd supporters, at least for now.

Moyes not being able to sign any big names whom he claimed he targetted in contrast to LVG and JM is a good example of players being drawn to the manager name.

Ultimately, there are pros and cons to when it is annouced as the various posts above have debated, but I am in favor of doing it soon, purely for the certainty it brings to the club, rather than have it being a continued question in everyone’s mind.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not announcing it when it would already be a done deal would be even more disruptive and become farcical. It should never become the worst kept secret in football.

Beat Wolves and it can then be announced on the Monday after, in a fairly low key manner with the focus on providing stability and certainty for the rest of the season and the summer. By the time the next match came around, it would just be business as usual again.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Non United fan point of view......

Ole was given the job after Mourinho to steady the ship, familiar name, 'safe' pair of hands, it did not matter what he did, he is and always will be a legend. Bring back the love and get to the end of season.

No one was expecting what has happened to happen.

So now, your in a position where you can't not give him the job. There is no one in their right mind who would take it. You'd have the majority of the crowd offside from the get go.

Which is fine as far as it goes, and you may have stumbled across a football genius.....but none of it smacks of a long term plan or vision. If Ole was the right choice from the get go, he'd have been given the permanent contract from the start.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

TRUERED89

Ole was given the job after Mourinho to steady the ship, familiar name, 'safe' pair of hands, it did not matter what he did, he is and always will be a legend. Bring back the love and get to the end of season.

So now, your in a position where you can't not give him the job. There is no one in their right mind who would take it. You'd have the majority of the crowd offside from the get go.

Which is fine as far as it goes, and you may have stumbled across a football genius.....but none of it smacks of a long term plan or vision. If Ole was the right choice from the get go, he'd have been given the permanent contract from the start.

Maybe because no-one expected him to win so many games, now that he has turned it around and got us within touching distance of top 4/3 things are completely different. He obviously was interim at the beginning but now he has gone beyond expectations. Silly comment, and why are there so many Liverpool fans on our forum? is yours that awful seriously? Feck off!

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
A loss can never be a win but for Ole it's about how we bounce back. We now have a chance and I don't doubt we will bounce back. If we went the rest of the season undefeated, then it would hype up the levels for next season to crazy levels. Now it's Oles Job to say same again. If you create the chances, your quality will pay off and that's what we have to do. We have to KNOW who we can beat. We can beat many teams 9/10 with the quality we have - they need to believe and be free to play so a loss was disappointing but we're in a pretty good position now to put pressure on

Marcelinho87

Because it wasn't a long term plan, your first sentence said exactly what it was.

The idea was the club worked on a long term plan while Ole was on the deck steadying the ship.

rotherham_red

A loss can never be a win but for Ole it's about how we bounce back. We now have a chance and I don't doubt we will bounce back. If we went the rest of the season undefeated, then it would hype up the levels for next season to crazy levels. Now it's Oles Job to say same again. If you create the chances, your quality will pay off and that's what we have to do. We have to KNOW who we can beat. We can beat many teams 9/10 with the quality we have - they need to believe and be free to play so a loss was disappointing but we're in a pretty good position now to put pressure on
I think manner of that defeat is better than to have been totally outclassed a la PSG in the second half of the first leg - we bounced back from that setback fine, and I don't see any reason why we can't on Saturday either. Before the Arsenal game, I was worried about the Wolves game with us potentially taking our eye off the ball, but I now back us to put out a real statement and come through that game with a win.

killerboi2

Some pundit or other suggested that the players want Ole, and are playing out of their skin to ensure he gets the job. If confirmed too early, they might let their shoulders down and our results could suffer.

I honestly just think the players like Ole, and that they'll continue doing their best for him regardless of if he's confirmed or not.
Yes, the people doing this are being overly paranoid and superstitious. You'd have thought the Arsenal loss would have woken them up. Ole should have been announced as manager after the PSG game. Any loss of form after he is announced would be pure coincidental. He has already proven himself as the man for the job.

purgethefallen

So they’re confirming it in the international break? I just hope it doesn’t weaken our hand in the transfer market in some way, or more important mentally effect the squad. At the moment they’re playing for positions in hope they’re trying to impress him.
On the other hand, would not having a permanent manager/coach create uncertainty for any potential signing as they wouldn't know who was going to be the manager/coach?

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe because no-one expected him to win so many games, now that he has turned it around and got us within touching distance of top 4/3 things are completely different. He obviously was interim at the beginning but now he has gone beyond expectations. Silly comment, and why are there so many Liverpool fans on our forum? is yours that awful seriously? Feck off!
It isn't 'silly', but kudos for using an underused word.
Can't speak for other Liverpool fans, I kind of like the place.
No. Seriously.
And...feck you very much.

Swiss_Red89

He has to get the job at this point, thats for sure. He brought the joy of the beautiful game and this beautiful club back to us united fans all over the world, that alone should be enough the give him the chance. I think it will be the perfect timing to announce him during the international break after a win against wolverhampton...;)

But have to admit, it will be interesting to see what happens once we will get the first crisis and the pressure mounts. He isnt a proven topclass manager yet and i feel he will get questioned very soon as soon the results dont go our way. I hope he is up to it because i would love it if he stays here for many years!

Dve

If people worry that the team will start regressing as soon as Ole signs the contract, I don´t get why you want to hire him at all.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'd rather they left it to the end of the season, not comfortable them announcing it early and not entirely sure why I feel this way. Maybe as has been said I want to see how he reacts if things aren't great, although we might not actually get to find out.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Simple logistics.
preparation for Pre-Season.
Transfers.
Just the process of finding and hiring a new manager...assuming it is not Ole.

Strong speculation Ole will be appointed after the Wolves match. 2 weeks before Watford. No disruption.

Grande

All reasonable thoughts, please don’t mind the crude colleaugues ... you’re right, it does smack of short term/bad planning - which to me actually is one of the biggest pro Ole factors: Our (read: economist Woodward’s) football planning since Ferguson has been close to disastrous, leading to three incompatible and ill-fitted managers coming and going, and a lot of players bought that made little sense in the long term view. Before we get a hopefully clued up sporting director (who might also be ill-fitted and will take time making his mark on the club), the chances are a new managerial choice now would again be haphazard and we’d buy yet more players maybe belonging here or not.

Instead, by a stroke of luck, we have stumbled across a chance to do a Paisley/Dalglish that makes sense. The best candidate has shown now he always was the best candidate, and with Phelan, Carrick, Dempsey, Fergie in the Boot room and the Butt boys knocking at the back door (sorry about that), we actually look all of a sudden as if we have had a brilliant, in-house sporting director for several years (when in fact we’ve had a bunch of accidental tourists). Solskjær was a very good candidate, if an unsure bet, and now it seems all bets are off with good reason.

I think this project has better chances than any of the last three, at least as good as a round of Poch with new staff and players bought by Woodie etc, and makes much more sense. Will it go? Who knows. Even Pep or Klopp weren’t regarded as sure things, and did take more than a full season to settle. But nothing is more worthy right now of a real shot. If we’re even more lucky, Solskjær will influence us towards getting a sporting director that ‘gets’ Man Utd, rather than someone Ed has been recommended at a Sports Pub.

Last edited:

DBT85

The Mirror piece is from John Cross and he's a decent Journalist.

Cross also writes, that we want to make the announcement very soon, so we can start planning for next season.

Which is music to my ears..^
I don't understand why they can't plan for next season without announcing anything at all.

JMack1234

I don't get why anyone would not want Ole appointed ASAP unless you're not actually that confident in him as a manager.

The_Bloods

We have to make it official, in terms of attracting players, it's vital - Ole is respected throughout the sport - nobody has a bad word to say about him, everybody loves what he stands for and how, if you cut him in half, he'd be red and white. His enthusiasm can often be child-like, but it's infectious and I think he's well capable of attracting any player we chose to pursue.

The problem with worst-kept-secrets is they become an albatross around your neck.

Get it announced on Monday and cut the speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DBT85

I think it's important our potential targets know who the manager is.
Do they read the papers? If you're serious about who you are talking to you can tell them. Its hardly a shock if it leaks as everyone is saying it anyway.

The_Bloods

Do they read the papers? If you're serious about who you are talking to you can tell them. Its hardly a shock if it leaks as everyone is saying it anyway.
Well, you can get people to sign non-disclosure agreements - but the last one of those I was involved with ended up with a front page headline in the Daily Mirror, because it's almost impossible to track it back to the source of the leak.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's not about them reading the papers. We're most probably talking to many intermediaries right now to plan for next and potential targets want to know who the manager is before they make a commitment. The sooner we announce Ole the better.

Jazmodo

Why are "Yes" or "No" still options? :nono::nono:

Either you love Ole unconditionally, or your a non-supporting member who thinks "eboue" is funny :D which to be fair it is.

But seriously, unconditional love. Even if the absolute worse happens and he leaves in a year or 2, his foot scored the final goal in the final minute of the final game that won us the Treble.

Unconditional love :devil:

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Ole has almost done too well...every victory especially at PSG, just enhanced the belief that he was virtually unbeatable, so defeat at Arsenal burst that bubble and for some of those who did believe he was unbeatable, he then became a doubt. Well he was never going to be unbeatable, because no team, and no manager, ever is.

podurban2

Woke up from a nightmare that Jose had taken over the job forcefully from Ole. It was horrible. Glad that was just a bad dream :D

RedDevilRoshi

Think like everyone else that he already has the job. It’s just a matter of when and not if now. I think the players know it as well but it’s been drilled into them not to say a word and the club will announce it in due course when they feel it is right. Don’t see either problem if we announced it after the Wolves game or at the end of the season.

Why would he be in discussions with Glazers, Woodward etc about plans for next season if he wasn’t going to be here? It wouldn’t make sense. He’s got the job :drool:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
don't think they should announce him now, what's the point? What if we lose the FA cup, finish 6th in league and get blown away by Barca?
Which is what we all expected anyway. Ole did exceptionally well and 3 results should not change that. That would be daft as feck.

Gator Nate

I don't understand why they can't plan for next season without announcing anything at all.
The behavior of the club would change noticeably if they actually started making visible moves (like Real Madrid just did) before the end of the season. That would lead to annoyingly uncomfortable pressers for Ole.

And if everyone inside knows it, what advantage is it to hide it?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Who do people think will happen if we announce him now - the wheel will fall off? How'd you deduce that?

deadrevelz

They will announce him soon. Molde's first match of the Norwegian league is on 31st March. They will have to get a new manager sorted, if they haven't already, which is as good as confirming Ole as United's new manager.
Rumours are it will happen in the international break, which syncs nicely. No messing up the Wolves preparation, 2 week break where he can go back to Norway, story dies down before his next match.