Ole says this season will be used to find next season’s squad

3KDré

If Ole doesn't know by now that Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Matic, Young, Jones, Rojo and Shaw aren't first XI players by now then I have no hope for him.

Nickelodeon

He's had one transfer window. One. Should we be performing better? Yes. Should he be performing to the level some of our delusional fans expect? No. How can you lot learn so little from the last 5 years of mediocrity? It's burgeoning on petulant ignorance at this point.

In the same breath the same posters will be telling us how incredibly shit all our players are, how the Percy penny strings leading our club won't invest, and yet inexplicably choose to believe they are three mutually exclusive problems.

Can't wait to sack Ole and 6 months down the link hear the same poorly conceived ideas floating around again.
Do you know how many windows Brendan Rodgers has had?

On two separate occasions in the past 5 years have the team which finished 14th and 10th have gone on to win the title. We didn't have a huge net spend but we still got 130 million worth of defenders and look where we are.

We have had 5 years of mediocrity because we are too accepting of it. If we don't benchmark ourselves with the best in the league then we can justify all kinds of poor performances with any number of excuses. Yes, our squad is not as good as the top 2. But what about Leicester, Wolves, Sheffield United. We have to draw the line somewhere and say that enough is enough.

Castia

Seems confident he’s here for the long haul. I feel the board are willing to give him time but not that much time if the results are forthcoming.

Rajma

All Ole's signings so far have been great and fit is idea to build our squad in the long term, one of which was Harry.
Literally brainwashed, you didn’t even bother answering to my post when I questioned his judgment and decision making.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's had one transfer window. One. Should we be performing better? Yes. Should he be performing to the level some of our delusional fans expect? No. How can you lot learn so little from the last 5 years of mediocrity? It's burgeoning on petulant ignorance at this point.

In the same breath the same posters will be telling us how incredibly shit all our players are, how the Percy penny strings leading our club won't invest, and yet inexplicably choose to believe they are three mutually exclusive problems.

Can't wait to sack Ole and 6 months down the link hear the same poorly conceived ideas floating around again.
Agreed man.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
People should read the whole interview. But maybe it is too much to ask...

He adressed all the issues imo. And if one has a little insight in football management, then he is doing this the correct way, to ensure future success in stead of thinking short term.
Would you rather have been 3d in the league this year and 4th/5th/6th the next five years, than spend the time building correctly?
I do think a lot will depend on signings in Jan/ summer. With the correct signings, next year will be awesome imo.

People are not patient enough. Better to be patient and succed than repeat the old mistakes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
People in here just can’t accept the reality that we are far behind, it’s a rebuilding process and will take time for it.

I have said this before that even if we don’t get top 4 this season, it doesn’t mean we are not making progress. We have a lot of young players in the squad and we are expecting up and down from these young players.

The manager took this risk because the aim is to improve players & develop players. If players can improve in both skills & mentally by end of this season, next following season we will have an upgrade squad and to me it’s part of progress and improvement for our upcoming next season.

People are talking about United must maintain high standard, we tried it in the past under Jose & LVG, and it just didn’t work.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Excellent, so if last year was used to decide the squad for this year we'll be looking at finishing, what, somewhere around 15th, 16th?

I love Ole, I'd love him to be successful, but let's be realistic here and put things into context - we just got beaten 2-0 by fecking Watford! A team, who until they played us, had won 1 game and scored 9 goals in 17.

pascell

No way that could have been said during the summer after 3 months of abject performances? Why in the world would a coach need a year to decide who's good enough and who is not.
I'm not defending him on the whole here but after the Everton game (I think is was) he actually said some of those players had played their last as a United player and in the summer we sold plenty of players. We all know we didn't replace them properly but that's another matter.

Raven

I thought we knew this? When he signed up full time, he told us that this is a 3 year project.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

I don't think we have shit players. We've players who are not applying themselves for one reason or another. My guess it's to do with coaching. Now, whether I'm missguided about this or not, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Ole take the DOF role or something similar. If he has a certain vision of how the club should be then I believe that he deserves this chance. As a coach he's out of his depth in my opinion. Since PSG we've been absolutely hopeless and one dimensional. People talk about not having Pogba but we've won 1 game in 5 with him in the side. It would also point to a tactic, where we just rely on his individual brilliance. Teams sit deep and we can't do anything about it. We can't utilise our pace because there is nowhere to run to. I'm sure you understand that so I feel a bit condescending even mentioning it really.
I don't rate him as a coach but I can genuinely buy into that he is looking for continuity at the club and we've been claiming to look for DOF for ages now so why not? Hire Poch who worked with Paul Mitchell, let him coach the side and let Ole be the conduit between Woodward and Poch.
It just makes sence to me at this point.

Nickelodeon

People in here just can’t accept the reality that we are far behind, it’s a rebuilding process and will take time for it.

I have said this before that even if we don’t get top 4 this season, it doesn’t mean we are not making progress. We have a lot of young players in the squad, the manager’s aim is to improve & develop players. If players can improve in both skills & mentally by end of this season, next following season we will have an upgrade squad and to me it’s part of progress and improvement for our upcoming next season.

People are talking about United must maintain high standard, we tried it in the past under Jose & LVG, and it just didn’t work.
What has happened on the pitch which has convinced so many fans of this? How poorly does our team have to perform for us to understand that sometimes the manager isn't good enough?

We have examples of clear progress all across the league but yet we continue to justify our poorest ever season.

-Supreme-

He did. That's why Sanchez and Lukaku are no longer in the squad.

This statement is a timely reminder that United's transition is going to take more than one transfer window, so the remaining players shouldn't feel as though they've definitively made the cut.

The coaching staff have probably seen that a few players are resting on their laurels in training, but didn't want to single them out (or hurt their already fragile confidence) ahead of their teammates.
Exactly. He has already got rid of Sanchez, Lukaka, and Fellaini in his first 6 months in-charge, and I have no doubt there will be at least 3-5 more players to follow in the next 2 windows, most probably Matic, Rojo, Jones, Mata and Young (certain). Both Lingard and Pereira will likely to stay unfortunately but they won't get much game time.

Champagne Football

I feel Ole is doing almost everything right with a few poor decisions along the way which is normal. It's obvious he's got the shittest squad in history to work with, but he's fixing some very severe damage that was left by 3 managers, who were all disasters for Man Utd for different reasons. It's going to take time.

My biggest worry with Ole though is, last summer we needed to sign a really top central midfielder. Ole already had half a season to identify and execute this plan. I can't see a Klopp or a Pochettino unable to identify and land a suitable urgent target if given 6 months to look. Tielemans, Grealish, Niguez, Partey etc may or may not have all been available for the right price, but it seems Ole perhaps felt he could turn Andreas Pereira into our deep-lying playmaker, which most certainly has not worked so far, when tried earlier in the season. Would a Klopp or a Pochettino put so much faith in a youngster who has never really shown they can be something special, despite endless opportunities? Or would they raid La Liga or the Bundesliga to make sure they don't enter a season with a huge costly hole in the team?

This season most certainly is a right-off. I feel though to try and make this Ole experiment work, the only way is by taking the pain and torture for now, and hoping he can have a good summer window, and give him till Christmas 2020 to show us what his team looks like after a full rebuild, and not just half a rebuild is complete.

I think he will succeed if given another summer window to spend. And if by 2020 he is succeeding, then we perhaps won't have to worry about having a new manager for another decade.

b82REZ

Didn't he say something very similar after the Goodison Park humiliation last season?

Guys becoming a meme. When is he going to except responsibility for his mismanagement of the squad.

He simply needs to go now. He should not be afforded anymore time to stamp his authority on this squad. We're going backwards. Did a good job cheering the players up after Mou but is not the man to lead this club into any future success.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
And next season for the next season afterwards
And the next season after next season for the next season afterwards
Repeat until We're all dead

I have had enough of this Robbie

norm87cro

At this point I'd rather see him make a huge mistake trying than saying stuff like this. The loss against Watford is completley his fault because we lacked any sort of motivation (and that has nothing to do with tactics). If we lost against Newcastle 0 3 getting caught on the counter it would be more an effort than putting another mild 0 1 or 1 1 performance

IrishRedDevil

So he has forgot all his cheesy one liners then. Seems he has realised that smiling and saying ‘‘We are Man United’’ doesn’t amount to any points.

Rajma

When it takes someone a year to figure out that Lingard is not good enough we’ll probably have many ‘write off’ seasons in the future still.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He did. That's why Sanchez and Lukaku are no longer in the squad.

This statement is a timely reminder that United's transition is going to take more than one transfer window, so the remaining players shouldn't feel as though they've definitively made the cut.

The coaching staff have probably seen that a few players are resting on their laurels in training, but didn't want to single them out (or hurt their already fragile confidence) ahead of their teammates.
Well I certainly hope we don't have many players who would shy away from dressing down in front of their team mates. In fact, this aspect is a part of life. You don't do your job you get told off or sacked.

We should be seeing something tangible on the pitch, regardless of personel. We've arguably regressed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How many has Rodgers had, by the way? Let's not kid ourselves teams aren't just built in the transfer market but also on the training pitch and by using his brain. Lingard has no goal or assist in the league over a calendar year but is Ole's designated starter whilst kids like Greenwood are underused for his benefit, do you think more transfer windows will cure that blindspot and blatant favoritism?
Same old arguments. X is doing better so therefore our manager is shit for not matching him. Love it. The reason why we struggle for creativity isn't because we have no creative players, nah, it's being Ole hasn't used his brain to create it. We have one creative player who has been injured for most of the season. Stating that can be coached is myopic and willfully ignorant. There's a reason why Klopp didn't try to 'coach' Mignolet and Lovren into better players and instead went out and spent £140m on replacements. And Pep has spent circa £750m on improving a squad already capable of winning the league. But you expect Ole to turn Fred into Scholes yes? You expect Young to suddenly become an adequate fullback? Complain about how shit the players are, while bemoaning why the manager isn't doing better with them. Flawless logic.

No Lingard doesn't. And that isn't because he's suddenly become a bad player under Ole. Greenwood is a terrific prospect but the notion we should be relying on an 18 year old without any prior first team experience should be setting alarm bells off in your head about the quality and depth of our squad, not to mention Lingard has a massive 1 more appearance in the league then Mason. The refusal to actually drill down into our issues really is incredible.

Oh yeah, it's favouritism alright. As it apparently was with LVG and Jose. That's a line straight out if the school of Ben Shapiro that.

Toni Roncoroni

Worrying to read that a lot of fans are buying into everything that Ole is saying. What does this mean? See you next year or what? He is buying himself and all of the underperforming players a lot of time again. We want to see improvements. Results are one thing. But I mean style of play.

Everybody who is comparing this situation to Klopp's at Liverpool knows exactly, that the progresses were there to see for everybody and it became more and more obvious that he is only a few transfers away of building a great squad. Honestly I don't see at United. We are playing without heart and passion. This is the least you can desire from every player FFS! Apart from our Coach having no clue how to set up a team in to implement a playing style to break down those "smaller" teams.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What has happened on the pitch which has convinced so many fans of this? How poorly does our team have to perform for us to understand that sometimes the manager isn't good enough?

We have examples of clear progress all across the league but yet we continue to justify our poorest ever season.
The sentence is very clear that it will take time, it doesn’t mean 6 months or a year is enough.

Rebuilding doesn’t give you instant result right away. We have seen sign of improvement from our players which our previous managers never done it because they chose a quick fix. This improvement will be beneficial to our next season or the next 2-4 years.

We have a lot of young players in the squad, inconsistent performance is to be expected but there were games when we showed what we are capable of in our wins against the likes of city, spurs, Brighton, Norwich and etc.

ivaldo

Do you know how many windows Brendan Rodgers has had?

On two separate occasions in the past 5 years have the team which finished 14th and 10th have gone on to win the title. We didn't have a huge net spend but we still got 130 million worth of defenders and look where we are.

We have had 5 years of mediocrity because we are too accepting of it. If we don't benchmark ourselves with the best in the league then we can justify all kinds of poor performances with any number of excuses. Yes, our squad is not as good as the top 2. But what about Leicester, Wolves, Sheffield United. We have to draw the line somewhere and say that enough is enough.
See my other response for your first paragraph.

As for the second; we've had LVG and Jose leading the team at those times, and have since decided they are shit managers. Don't you think, after repeating this same process for a 3rd manager in a row now, that the issue might lay somewhere else? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I feel Ole is doing almost everything right with a few poor decisions along the way which is normal. It's obvious he's got the shittest squad in history to work with, but he's fixing some very severe damage that was left by 3 managers, who were all disasters for Man Utd for different reasons. It's going to take time.

My biggest worry with Ole though is, last summer we needed to sign a really top central midfielder. Ole already had half a season to identify and execute this plan. I can't see a Klopp or a Pochettino unable to identify and land a suitable urgent target if given 6 months to look. Tielemans, Grealish, Niguez, Partey etc may or may not have all been available for the right price, but it seems Ole perhaps felt he could turn Andreas Pereira into our deep-lying playmaker, which most certainly has not worked so far, when tried earlier in the season. Would a Klopp or a Pochettino put so much faith in a youngster who has never really shown they can be something special, despite endless opportunities? Or would they raid La Liga or the Bundesliga to make sure they don't enter a season with a huge costly hole in the team?

This season most certainly is a right-off. I feel though to try and make this Ole experiment work, the only way is by taking the pain and torture for now, and hoping he can have a good summer window, and give him till Christmas 2020 to show us what his team looks like after a full rebuild, and not just half a rebuild is complete.

I think he will succeed if given another summer window to spend. And if by 2020 he is succeeding, then we perhaps won't have to worry about having a new manager for another decade.
100% on this.

Lynty

Not this stupid beyond belief analogy again. Always pops up in the Caf from time to time. It was funny at the start but now i find it weird that people can still think it's a relative point of view.
Oh sorry, let me rephrase that:

"Remember in 2019/20 when half way through the season Ole and United were sitting 8th, in the semi's of the League Cup, knockouts of Europe and still to play in the FA cup? Should have sacked him."

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We need 3 more big signings to beat watford.

GazTheLegend

Ole sounded defeatist in his press conference. What happened to “we are Man United” “ we have great players” and such lines when he bounced in full of smiles... reality hit home. he should be talking about fighting hard and getting top 4 not writing the season off as an experiment. Progression season is in fact regression season. I hate moaning but I’m so disillusioned with watching crap game after game.
Going to Old Trafford is difficult now, there's quite a lot of grumbling going on (or at least there is in the South Stand). It's hard to support your team when you're paying top 3 wages in the world for a side that's losing to the likes of Watford and such.

Rocknrolla69er

For me it was obvious who the problems were at United poor attitudes application etc and to be fair to Ole he's addressing it th best he can while being hamstrung by an inept recruitment team. Out go Lukaku, Sanchez etc but not enough adequate replacements brought in quickly for whatever reasons.

This has left Ole's hands tied with a threadbare squad, plugging the gaps with youngsters with not a lot of experience, giving Ole no option to put trust in the likes of Periera and what you d call decent club mand in Young, Lingaard and Mata who aren't really good enough but what's the alternative with the transfer window closed.

We've learned from this and I'm pretty sure Ole's now putting it out there, there's a lot who have now had chances and have come short, as well as the likes of Matic, Rojo, Young, Mata who will be moved on shortly, some of the younger players such as Pereira and Lingaard are also not good enough.

It's a big big squad rebuild, made very hard by the fall from grace and also the recruitment teams very slow recruitment process, I'd also hazard a guess big questions have been asked on the player identification process and maybe this has been revamped. Hopefully January which is notoriously hard and then the summer bear some fruits in the form of good purchases.

Come away from the shiny new galati do mentality and let's start identifying players who fit the system and have the stats and attitudes/personalitys to be a success here

Runaway Sue

The sentence is very clear that it will take time, it doesn’t mean 6 months or a year is enough.

Rebuilding doesn’t give you instant result right away. We have seen sign of improvement from our players which our previous managers never done it because they chose a quick fix. This improvement will be beneficial to our next season or the next 2-4 years.

We have a lot of young players in the squad, inconsistent performance is to be expected but there were games when we showed what we are capable of in our wins against the likes of city, spurs, Brighton, Norwich and etc.
Why should we give a Molde (lol) caliber manager a chance to live his dream on our expanse? The man is a total charlatan. Absolutely out of his dept and you and the likes are only pushing us back further.

ottosec

Writing off the season in December... The midtable-ization of Manchester United is finally complete.

PoTMS

Pathetic. We have officially turned into Liverpool. Next season is our year.

ivaldo

I don't think we have shit players. We've players who are not applying themselves for one reason or another. My guess it's to do with coaching. Now, whether I'm missguided about this or not, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Ole take the DOF role or something similar. If he has a certain vision of how the club should be then I believe that he deserves this chance. As a coach he's out of his depth in my opinion. Since PSG we've been absolutely hopeless and one dimensional. People talk about not having Pogba but we've won 1 game in 5 with him in the side. It would also point to a tactic, where we just rely on his individual brilliance. Teams sit deep and we can't do anything about it. We can't utilise our pace because there is nowhere to run to. I'm sure you understand that so I feel a bit condescending even mentioning it really.
I don't rate him as a coach but I can genuinely buy into that he is looking for continuity at the club and we've been claiming to look for DOF for ages now so why not? Hire Poch who worked with Paul Mitchell, let him coach the side and let Ole be the conduit between Woodward and Poch.
It just makes sence to me at this point.
You mean those same players who haven't been applying themselves for one reason or another for 5 years and 3 managers now? We can't keep laying the blame at the feet of the manager.

Ole can't do the DoF role. He's woefully under-qualified for it. I don't think people really understand the magnitude of what is required for that job. It isn't an established role for someone to walk into. We need someone to completely structure a new approach from the top down.

I point to Pogba because who else is there? Every top team has a least a few creative outlets. We have one who has been out since August. We have an 18 year old with no prior first team experience as our only attacking option off the bench. We are still playing Young regularly and are expecting a CM with half a season of first team football to hold our midfield together. His partner Fred, has been the subject of fans ire from way before Ole joined the club, and the vast majority simply believe he's not good enough.

You could see the difference Pogba made when he came on. He played a few passes no other player at our club can. But you're right, we shouldn't be relying on Pogba. We shouldn't be relying on a 34 year old converted winger at fullback, we shouldn't be relying on McTominay to hold our midfield together, or Greenwood to be our only impact player. We shouldn't be relying on a bare XI with no variation on players. We can't cross the ball to Martial because he's no good in the air, we can't play through teams because we lack creativity, we can't use our pace against teams that sit deep. We need to improve this squad. We all knew we were rebuilding this season so why are we expecting anything different?

Chairman Steve

I feel like I’m being sold empty promises by someone who has no track record of delivering at anything close to the Premier League level, and any faith I put in it is hopeful and blind. This is like trusting your local electrician to run the space shuttle program

This is nothing like putting trust in Sir Alex in the late 80s before someone makes that comparison. Sir Alex won the Scottish league with Aberdeen of all teams three times and beat Real Madrid in a European final. He’s earned that trust when things aren’t going well. OGS hasn’t done anything close to that.

dove

Fecking hell what a manager we got. Would rather take Moyes back.