Ole when sacked vs Ten Hag currently

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
At the time of writing this I am not in favor of sacking Ten Hag, just to make that clear. I just want to jot down the numbers so that we have something concrete to compare the situation with. I will update this thread until we are past round 12 (when Ole got sacked).

Ten Hag currently (After 7 PL rounds):
- 9 points
- Goal difference: -4 (7/11)
- League position: 10
- Points behind top four: 7

Ole after 7 rounds:
- 14 points
- Goal difference: +8 (14/6)
- League position: 4

Ole at the time he got sacked (Round 12):
- 17 points
- Goal difference: -1 (20/21)
- League position: 8
- Points behind top four: 6

(Holy shit Ole's collapse was brutal)

------------

Ten Hag needs 8 points in the next 5 games to match Ole's collapse. We got Brentford, Sheffield United, City, Fulham and Luton next so he should be able to pull this off even with poor performances.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Both lost the dressing room

Ibrahimorich

Why is everyone such a doom monger? Did we get better when we sacked Ole? No. We got much worse.

el3mel

Ten Hag needs 8 points in the next 5 games to match Ole's collapse. We got Brentford, Sheffield United, City, Fulham and Luton next so he should be able to pull this off even with poor performances.
Here I present to you United's new standards, everyone!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
At the time of writing this I am not in favor of sacking Ten Hag, just to make that clear. I just want to jot down the numbers so that we have something concrete to compare the situation with. I will update this thread until we are past round 12 (when Ole got sacked).

- 9 points

Ole after 7 rounds:
- 14 points

- 17 points

------------

My God, what in fcuk’s name happened to Ole during those 5 matches?!

James35

I don’t see more than 5 points from next 5 games. Throw in a CL game that will probably end our very slim hopes and Newcastle getting revenge in the cup, I think it’s going to get brutal. I can’t see him surviving 2023. Players are at rock bottom and I’m sure he has lost a few of them, our keeper is prime Karius right now and the injuries we have. Yeah not good at all.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Here I present to you United's new standards, everyone!
Don't be so miserable. I don't think that the bar should be this low.

It's useful to look at the situation to see whether the club is consistent with its sacking policy or where they draw the line.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Harry Maguire. And Im not even joking.

His plethora of personal mistakes cost us games. Oles undoing was sticking with his captain and not dropping him. The unrest in the dressing room was clear, with Bailly being furious it had no consequences.

Similar to what Ten Hag is doing now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ole has been a better manager for us then Ten Hag full stop. Only thing that is preventing people from seeing that is the fact he’s former player, not a Dutch faux philosopher and didn’t have high pedigree before joining. If he did have those things, there’s absolutely no way his time here would be looked at as inferior.

KeanoMagicHat

I think one of the main issues was he started to try to go toe-to-toe with teams rather than playing a counter attacking approach that had served him well - but then he also bought Ronaldo who was slowing down the attack and allowing the opposition to build-up without any difficulty. Brendan Rodgers even mentioned it in his press conference how easy it was when there was no pressing.

The Liverpool game was embarrassing because they were well up for the game, wasn't through lack of passion or effort but just got completely picked off at will as they decided to go high-line, high-press instead of sitting back. Bruno would try to cover Ronaldo's pressing and then leave a massive gap in midfield and they'd play it around McTominay-Fred and all of a sudden it's 3-on-3 heading for the goal. Liverpool were actually more dominant than the game they won 7-0 this year, they honestly could have scored 9 or 10 but eased up. One of the worst United games I've ever seen. The only good game in that time was against Spurs who were even more dead than United were and sacked their manager straight afterwards.

Pirlo'sBeard

I'd expect 12 points there.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
The reign of a talentless and weak manager such as Ole permitted the players to consolidate their importance on and off the pitch. And since then no manager has managed to wrest control from the players. The next truly great coach to get the managerial seat would have to be someone who destroys this shortsighted mentality from the players. What I do not know is whether new players are and will keep being blooded and inculcated into this player mentality. Good luck to whoever gets the gig after ETH.

quadrant

Ole was in his 4th season and it was supposed to be the finished article. When it all went wrong, it wasnt just a run of poor form, it seemed to demonstrate that his entire project had failed.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why is everyone such a doom monger? Did we get better when we sacked Ole? No. We got much worse.
We were eighth with Ole and we finished the season in sixth place with Rangnick. We were bad under Rangnick, but better than how we were playing under Ole

prateik

We finished 6th in his first half season.. 3rd and 2nd. Reached a few cup finals..

We desperately needed a midfielder in his final summer. Didn't get one. we signed Ronaldo at the end.. fecked up the midfield and the attack.. ended his time at the club.

Ole was not the answer.. but ETH certainly isnt either.. ETH was made to look good because of Rangnick's time at the club..

ETH won the lottery.. good for him.. I have an issue with the idiots running the club..

GuyfromAustria

I love that in the midst of possibly the worst collapse I've ever seen we still managed to beat Spurs 3-0 :lol:
away :lol:

The Liverpool game was embarrassing because they were well up for the game, wasn't through lack of passion or effort but just got completely picked off at will as they decided to go high-line, high-press instead of sitting back. Bruno would try to cover Ronaldo's pressing and then leave a massive gap in midfield and they'd play it around McTominay-Fred and all of a sudden it's 3-on-3 heading for the goal. Liverpool were actually more dominant than the game they won 7-0 this year, they honestly could have scored 9 or 10 but eased up. One of the worst United games I've ever seen. The only good game in that time was against Spurs who were even more dead than United were and sacked their manager straight afterwards.
The City game could have been much much worse too, 0-2 was very flattering.

Judas

Open to offers
We were eighth with Ole and we finished the season in sixth place with Rangnick. We were bad under Rangnick, but better than how we were playing under Ole
Were we really? I remember us being utterly dreadful to the point it was probably the bleakest period I’ve had watching us. It was horrific stuff. We might have gone up the table a bit, but that probably had more to do with those around us.

Jeffthered

Don't even want to talk nor read about OGS as Man Utd manager. He was an unmitigated disaster, and ETH is having to clear up a lot, a lot of his mess. And it will take time.

flappyjay

The reign of a talentless and weak manager such as Ole permitted the players to consolidate their importance on and off the pitch. And since then no manager has managed to wrest control from the players. The next truly great coach to get the managerial seat would have to be someone who destroys this shortsighted mentality from the players. What I do not know is whether new players are and will keep being blooded and inculcated into this player mentality. Good luck to whoever gets the gig after ETH.
Jose and Lvg weren't weak yet the same still happened.

We've got to stop talking about sacking him. It will make no difference and delay us addressing the real problems in the club. Ole had no qualifications whatsoever for the job, Ten Hag was one of the most promising coaches in world football. He's perfectly capable of managing a well run football club and we should keep him until we can give him that.

RuudTom83

A manager should be able to have a bad spell without it meaning the end.
Otherwise you are forever going to be changing managers.
EtH hasn't been here 18 months yet.

Revan

Assumptionman
Were we really? I remember us being utterly dreadful to the point it was probably the bleakest period I’ve had watching us. It was horrific stuff. We might have gone up the table a bit, but that probably had more to do with those around us.
We also improved point wise from 1.42 with Ole to 1.58 with Rangnick. Nothing groundbreaking but enough to improve a couple of positions.

So yes, we were a bit better. And with a better manager, we would have been even more better.

Revan

Assumptionman
A manager should be able to have a bad spell without it meaning the end.
Otherwise you are forever going to be changing managers.
EtH hasn't been here 18 months yet.
And that's what most big clubs do (unless you manage to get a freak like SAF or Pep). So it is not a bad thing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And that's what most big clubs do (unless you manage to get a freak like SAF or Pep). So it is not a bad thing.
We rage quit when the going gets tough. You can look at the blueprint Arsenal have adopted for Arteta recently to see the upside.

Von Mistelroum

It seems apparent that actually certain elements within the dressing room are sabotaging our managers. The issue is that you can't ship them all out and by the time one or two are gone, there are more who have been sucked in to take their place.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m not sure that he’s lost the entire dressing room but I do think not being able to shift deadwood has resulted in a negativity and harmed the focus of the squad and general camaraderie which is devastating at this level.

tomaldinho1

- 9 points

Ole after 7 rounds:
- 14 points

- 17 points

------------

Ole had multiple periods where he was ‘one game’ from the sack, then we’d pull out a run of results and things would then fall away again. This is ETH’s first genuine period of real sustained pressure, let’s see how we come out of this (if we do)

Revan

Assumptionman
We rage quit when the going gets tough. You can look at the blueprint Arsenal have adopted for Arteta recently to see the upside.
At the contrary, we do not act until the entire season is lost, and also lose the chance to play in UCL the following season.

Red Star One

It seems apparent that actually certain elements within the dressing room are sabotaging our managers. The issue is that you can't ship them all out and by the time one or two are gone, there are more who have been sucked in to take their place.
Well if only we had a manager that clearly stated that the club needs a complete revamp and an open heart surgery and if only we listened to the hard truth rather than going again with the model “give the manager full power and let him recruit whoever he wants, maybe he’ll become another Sir Alex”

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
At the contrary, we do not act until the entire season is lost, and also lose the chance to play in UCL the following season.
The only ones who are acting like the season is lost are the ones wanting him sacked.