Oleksandr Zinchenko: The most underrated player in the PL?

eire-red

Let's see how he fares vs an in-form Mahrez, because he can be got at when being ran at 1v1.

I'd say he's a bit overrated on my eyes, just like Jesus. Arsenal fared just fine while he was injured, and if Jesus is playing today he probably doesn't score at all.

Saka, Partey and Odegaard are far and away Arsenal's best players. Without Zinchenko, I think they'd still be top with Tierney filling in.

Eddy_JukeZ

You may like Luke Shaw but Zinchenko is the epitome of what the level is of a world class LB, the intensity and decision making are qualities I just don't see from the former.
Luke Shaw is excellent though.

He filled in for Lisandro as LCB and was excellent when he played there.

There's more players in our XI deserving of such criticism.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah. He's good on the ball, calm, progressive and takes up good positions but he's a midfielder, who's a hard worker playing as a left back. It's not natural defensively.

Off the ball, his area was pretty much open season for us. Shame we didn't really get to exploit it.
Defending is his biggest weakness by far (for that reason I'd prefer KT against quality wingers). Our game plan does well to mitigate his exposure against quality wingers in dangerous areas.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Dumbest thing we did in the transfer market since selling Dzeko to accomodate Wilfried "I am too heavy to play football" Bony

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Dumbest thing we did in the transfer market since selling Dzeko to accomodate Wilfried "I am too heavy to play football" Bony
I would believe both him and Jesus reached to a stage they want to be a first team starter than being squad players in City. Sometimes you also need to refresh the squad a bit to have more competition and avoid being complacent.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
I would believe both him and Jesus reached to a stage they want to be a first team starter than being squad players in City. Sometimes you also need to refresh the squad a bit to have more competition and avoid being complacent.
Problem is that you get the excact opposite when you are selling Zinchenko. You take away competition from Cancelo and watch his form nosedive. The risk of getting complacent gets higher because you remove someone like Zin from the dressing room. He is not consistently an elite player but his mentality truly actually is elite.

Jesus probably needed to go to give himself a chance to fulfill his potential as the main man somewhere, even though he would be perfect alongside both Erling and Julian, and Sterling never bothered me even though we sold him to, at the time, a closer rival. He hasn't been the player he once was for several years now, and many of the qualities that made him a unique player has slowly disappeared with time. I am reasonably confident he won't ever have a season again in his career that is worth anything close to his price tag. But Zin is a bit different, every top team need a Zin

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Problem is that you get the excact opposite when you are selling Zinchenko. You take away competition from Cancelo and watch his form nosedive. The risk of getting complacent gets higher because you remove someone like Zin from the dressing room. He is not consistently an elite player but his mentality truly actually is elite.
That's on Pep though, they got a good fee for him (not that it matters to City) and decided to buy some dude from Belgium. On the right if Rico Lewis doesn't come out of nowhere, you have to shift a CB there. It's just bad squad building. Halaand is great but not sure it will be enough in the latter stages of the CL if Dias, Walker and Cancelo don't get back into it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Awful. Might actually be a sleeper agent sent by Pep to destabilise the team. His positioning makes Trent look competent.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Alternative AFC commentary on that huddle.

Gerrard or Keane? Gerrard or Keane? Gerrard or Keane? 100% pure Gerrard.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
He's shit at defending but hey he's the best huddlemaker in the PL.
That was genuinely such a cringe moment. You knew they’re rattled and would drop points from that moment.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Running away from his man on the corner for the 3rd goal leaving him with a 3 yard free header was piss poor.

But that's oleks, his attacking and on the ball ability make up for his defensive shortcomings

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Running away from his man on the corner for the 3rd goal leaving him with a 3 yard free header was piss poor.

But that's oleks, his attacking and on the ball ability make up for his defensive shortcomings
I do sometimes wonder if he should just be an attacking midfielder in slightly worse teams than us and Arsenal. But then again his mentality is truly elite. Arsenal can go again next season with heads like his around

Pirlo'sBeard

Calling those embarrassing huddles like he's some sort of leader. You're not that guy. Focus on your defending.

Awful defensively for Liverpool's equaliser in the 2-2 and Southampton's third tonight.

Fts 74

I think the love in for this guy is ridiculous.

He waves his arms around a lot has that look of I'm too big for Arsenal your lucky to have me and as for that huddle out of the Phil Brown school embarrassing.

Nero

Few things more cringey in football than player huddles.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Doesn't really, just like it doesn't for TAA. Just costs their respective teams too much when everything else isn't going absolutely fine.

hobbers

He was shite for City and he's flattered to deceive for a few months. He's still shite.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Doesn't really, just like it doesn't for TAA. Just costs their respective teams too much when everything else isn't going absolutely fine.
He was shite for City and he's flattered to deceive for a few months. He's still shite.
He has transformed us and is an integral reason we're even in a title race instead of scrapping for top 4 as usual. The problem in the last few games has been without Saliba and Tomiyasu, we are playing with our 4th choice CB and it's telling. Holding is only really useful coming on to defend a lead. But with Zinchenko's inverted fulback role, we need our back 3 to be able to cover and quickly swarm any potential chances, which Holding cannot do as he lacks the physicality.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
He is genuinely shit but Arsenal fans will cream themselves because he can receive a ball in midfield. :lol:

Dominos

He was the one crying at 2-2 Vs Liverpool right? ...
He put his hands on his face for like 1 second and the internet has turned that into he must have been in floods of tears :lol:

I've still not seen any evidence of him crying, just a player frustrated that they'd lost a 2 goal lead.

Robertd0803

Calling those embarrassing huddles like he's some sort of leader. You're not that guy. Focus on your defending.

Awful defensively for Liverpool's equaliser in the 2-2 and Southampton's third tonight.
Arsenal dont have too many leaders as such in the team though do they? Genuine question because other than Odegaard and maybe Ramsdale I cant think of too many players that would be the kind to rally the troops.

Unrelated to that everytime someone refers to his inverted fullback role it really annoys me for some reason.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I do sometimes wonder if he should just be an attacking midfielder in slightly worse teams than us and Arsenal. But then again his mentality is truly elite. Arsenal can go again next season with heads like his around
Elite mentality? :lol:

He’s a Ukrainian Phil Brown.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal dont have too many leaders as such in the team though do they? Genuine question because other than Odegaard and maybe Ramsdale I cant think of too many players that would be the kind to rally the troops.

Unrelated to that everytime someone refers to his inverted fullback role it really annoys me for some reason.
Jesus and Zinny definitely, and Xhaka has now redeemed himself too.

Why does it annoy you re inverted fullback?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The problem in the last few games has been without Saliba and Tomiyasu, we are playing with our 4th choice CB and it's telling. Holding is only really useful coming on to defend a lead. But with Zinchenko's inverted fulback role, we need our back 3 to be able to cover and quickly swarm any potential chances, which Holding cannot do as he lacks the physicality.
Poor Arteta. The fact that you're still picking up points after *checks notes* 1 injury to a starting player shows how much of a miracle worker he is. If only you had spent money a CB in January to compensate for the impact felt by a Saliba injury...

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Poor Arteta. The fact that you're still picking up points after *checks notes* 1 injury to a starting player shows how much of a miracle worker he is. If only you had spent money a CB in January to compensate for the impact felt by a Saliba injury...
The drop off from Saliba to Holding is immense. And if it was just Saliba out, we'd play White in CB and Tomi in RB. Unfortunately Tomi is out too, so we're with our 4th choice CB, perhaps til the end of the season (or at least for another few weeks). We have no idea how bad Saliba's back injury is. The decision to let Cedric go in Jan has also come back to hurt us.

Tbh not sure why we spent on Kiwior, he looks poor so far and looks more like a project, not someone ready to contribute to a title challenge now.
I've always said to have any hope of fending off City we'd pretty much need to have everyone fit, especially for the run-in.

chay chay okocha

Somewhat surprising to see so many reactionary posts in here - I liked seeing a player with championship experience try to calm his less experienced teammates down after a really rough start. He wasn't good today, but I have been hugely impressed with his entire body of work over the past 2 seasons, particularly his technical excellence and intelligent decision making.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The drop off from Saliba to Holding is immense. And if it was just Saliba out, we'd play White in CB and Tomi in RB. Unfortunately Tomi is out too, so we're with our 4th choice CB, perhaps til the end of the season (or at least for another few weeks). We have no idea how bad Saliba's back injury is. The decision to let Cedric go in Jan has also come back to hurt us.

Tbh not sure why we spent on Kiwior, he looks poor so far and looks more like a project, not someone ready to contribute to a title challenge now.
I've always said to have any hope of fending off City we'd pretty much need to have everyone fit, especially for the run-in.
Kiwior is a strange one. When you've got yourself in a position in Jan where it's your best chance in 20 years to win the PL, you would've thought you'd take advantage of the situation and sign a ready-made CB.

On the bright side: when the summer transfer window opens, it would just be typical Pep to feel sorry for his mate Arteta and sell Laporte to Arsenal.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Kiwior is a strange one. When you've got yourself in a position in Jan where it's your best chance in 20 years to win the PL, you would've thought you'd take advantage of the situation and sign a ready-made CB.

On the bright side: when the summer transfer window opens, it would just be typical Pep to feel sorry for his mate Arteta and sell Laporte to Arsenal.
The only way I can explain it is Arteta didn't anticipate losing both Saliba and Tomiyasu at the same time. He never would have imagined he'd have to play Holding for 5+ games in the run-in. For much of the season I've been confident of our defensive depth too :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Zinchenko is what he is, a midfielder playing in defence. With that, you need to take the rough with the smooth, and realise that you aren't going to get the same level of defending without the ball as you are going to get when he's in possession of the ball.

Perhaps that's why he wasn't first choice for the position, and Martinez was. A better balance of defending and on the ball play.

Kiwior is a left centre back brought in to cover Gabriel. As Gooner Girly said, the cover at right centre back is White, Tomiyasu and Holding.
Kiwior isn't a kid, he's 23 and has Serie A experience and player nearly a dozen games for Poland including playing well at a World Cup. Sometimes signings fit straight away, other times it can take time, especially when they aren't playing every week.

It's not great cover, but Utd can testify how levels can drop when you miss a couple of players in defence.

Robertd0803

Jesus and Zinny definitely, and Xhaka has now redeemed himself too.

Why does it annoy you re inverted fullback?
I totally forgot about Xhaka.

Theres no logical reason behind my dislike of the inverted fullback phrase, other than when I read the phrase I picture the fullback running backwards in the wrong direction :lol: