Ole's Clean Slate for 2019/20 Season

Eire Red United

Good points made in the OP, Ole needs to be given absolute backing in the summer by the board and by the fans.

He’ll know by now who either isn’t good enough to be here or isn’t mentally strong enough to cut it.

sparx99

So what Ole couldn't do in the last six months he'll miraculously do in about four to five weeks of pre-season?
What exactly did you want mid-season?

He came in December so that was too soon for him to have much say in the January window especially as an interim manager. Despite that we did get rid of Fellaini which almost all of us would be on board with and has disappeared Valencia.

Since the early games under Ole we’ve seemingly run out of steam but even then I can see that compared to Mourinho there was more interplay and more running.

We reached the quarter finals of the FA cup and quarter finals of the champion league knocking out PSG along the way.

We beat spurs, arsenal, Chelsea, PSG away and drew with Liverpool.

Clawed our way back into the top four race before the wheels came off possibly due to fatigue, who knows.

It’s been bad this last few weeks and each bad result has amplified the situation. However, even then defeats to Arsenal, Barcelona and a very good Wolves team isn’t a sign of incompetence. It’s fixture congestion combined with injuries combined with some shocking individual errors. Some of the chances missed have really cost us.

If we had evened our Ole’s results since taking over instead of riding the highs and lows maybe he doesn’t get the job and maybe he does.

However, we’ve given it to him now and we can at least give him a summer to try to implement his ideas.

I don’t really see other managers out there I’d be dying to get. If Pochettino turned down Madrid he would probably turn us down. Does Allegri or Conte play exciting enough football? I’d say no. Has Ten-Hag achieved loads more than Ole? De Boer didn’t exactly succeed at Palace after doing well at Ajax.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
His bias towards Rashford in particular is jarring. Not once did he criticize Rashford the same way he did Sanchez and Martial indirectly for their performances. And it appears Rashford has developed a bigger ego since he came in.

He seems to have the mentality that whatever the academy produces is good, so long as it's young. It will be his big failure.
Again, I fully agree. I’d love to be wrong on this, though.

sparx99

His bias towards Rashford in particular is jarring. Not once did he criticize Rashford the same way he did Sanchez and Martial indirectly for their performances. And it appears Rashford has developed a bigger ego since he came in.

He seems to have the mentality that whatever the academy produces is good, so long as it's young. It will be his big failure.
Rashford’s attitude does appear better from the outside. I don’t think he can be accused of a lack of effort. He’s missed chances and perhaps played injured but Lukaku has been injured as well as has Martial.

The only other option would have been a very young Greenwood who hasn’t really down anything in his cameos yet and doesn’t look physically ready.

Flytan

Rashford’s attitude does appear better from the outside. I don’t think he can be accused of a lack of effort. He’s missed chances and perhaps played injured but Lukaku has been injured as well as has Martial.

The only other option would have been a very young Greenwood who hasn’t really down anything in his cameos yet and doesn’t look physically ready.
Rashford has been awful though. Ever since he scored that one free kick he's been completely wasteful on them.

Almost as bad as having Ashley Young handle corners for the last half of the season despite almost all of them hitting the first man/curving out of bounds.

Also I disagree with the injury assessment to Lukaku. Rashford literally played with injuries under Ole (which is something some people criticized Mourinho for). Like you said Martial could have played striker or even Sanchez. Something about Rashford's selfishness in game shows he needed to be benched for a bit.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"2. Ole has an idea of how he wants his football to be played.". I stopped reading after that.
This is only time ever that people judge manager's style of play based on what that manager said on press conferences. Nobody saw his " fast attacking football" but people talk about it. Amazing stuff.

fps

I really have to object again to the "massively under-qualified" comment which is repeated ad nauseum in threads here lately. Ole has every coaching qualification required in Europe's top leaguers and has been employed as a full time coach for over a decade including the last 8 years as a head coach. He has won league titles and cup competitions as a Manager, implemented playing systems, bought and sold players, hired staff and competed in European competitions.

You can argue he has not won anything at the top level yet but many of the names linked with the job fit that description, however he is clearly more than qualified for the position. This does not have any bearing on how successful he will be but claiming he is unqualified is flat out wrong.
This is a horrifically low bar you're setting for one of the top jobs in football.

Web of Bissaka

1. Having managed for half a season already, Ole doesn't require time wasted in the new season to give this current squad a chance to impress. Moyes, LvG and Mourinho all required using the beginning of their respective debut seasons as a trial period of players inherited from the previous regime. Ole has the benefit from knowing already who is, and who isn't cut out for us next season, which means we at least have a greater chance at starting the season with clarity and focus.

2. Ole has an idea of how he wants his football to be played. He'll have a nice long pre-season in which to work on fitness and tactical improvements. Since he's had 1/2 a season already with this squad, he knows who will be able to work within his system moving into the new season. He'll have space and time at last to get his ideas across and work on implementing them with both the players he believes in at the club, as well as those he brings in to supplement the squad further. Coaching ideas aren't easy to get across in mid-season, since the players carry habits and instincts from the previous manager. A long pre-season will drill Ole's mentality in the squad with more success.

3. Tactically, Ole and co. will have the time to work on multiple formations and systems for next season so that we can more fluidly switch between them next season depending on the opposition and demands of any given game. Players should have a better idea of what is expected of them in different phases of the play, and will be in a better mindset to learn them without the added pressure of being in the middle of a top four chase.

4. Recruitment. Now, I know that there's scepticism because we have such an erratic transfer record post-Sir Alex, and rightly so the scepticism exists, however, every successive manager isn't indelibly linked to the previous manager and so the merits of Ole's recruitment choices deserve to be judged on the basis of what he decides, and not on what the previous management decided. More than any previous manager of the last few years, I'm convinced that Ole understands the areas that we are weak in; he's even made mention in public the issue of work rate of this squad in comparison to others, so, it gives me confidence knowing he's admitting something that previous manager's didn't (at least in public).
Serious OP or sarcastic?

1. I'll believe it when I see it this pre-season.
Looking less likely seeing how Ole still gave chances to the likes of Sanchez previous recent game -- is he blind, or just having dumb blind faith, how many months does he need to see a player is freaking done. So if the many deadwood are still in the first team this summer and start of next season which won't be surprising... future is great!

2. Sounds like he do, but application wise not really.
Sure he said a lot of fancy words about it, but then how the players played are in contrast to what he's saying, so either the players doesn't follow which he then should drop them or his coaching is so bad.

3. Had a look at the pre-season schedule... doesn't seem like there a good time for that.
Too much travelling around. Unless the players all cut short their vacation and came back as early as 20th June, then I don't see how that schedule can help in formations, systems, fitness, etc etc.

4. Yeah the unknown factor, we can only see how he works this summer, his first transfer window.
I care shit nothing about what he said -- too sweets and few of it is lying anyway eg. need to be ruthless but he don't. I care more about what he do. The likes of LVG and Mourinho love to talk a lot of sweet fancy lying things, but deliver shit.

Whiteside '85

I love the thread title, haven't read anything else

Fcku reality
I'm gonna Forget 18-19 ever happened with the assistance of Citeh/Spurs :wenger:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Good points made in the OP, Ole needs to be given absolute backing in the summer by the board and by the fans.

He’ll know by now who either isn’t good enough to be here or isn’t mentally strong enough to cut it.
Again i must ask; why? Based on what do you think this? You watched him in Molde so you know? I don't know how he managed Molde, style and team management but i saw how he did it in Cardiff and i saw how he is doing so far in United. And i don't see anything which can back your statement.

Roboc7

Consolation for him is that we are that bad that he doesn’t have to do much to make us better. If he gets a RB and RW and makes the players run around a bit that will instantly improve us

He’s not going to get to buy or sell who he wants but he has to try to implement whatever his philosophy is and stick with it. He can’t resort back to the same old negative tactics we have had for years.

Top four, a more balanced team and some better football are all attainable next season and give him something to build on.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He’s going to get proper United players who are technically excellent with added quality and an immense hunger and work rate.

He’s going to be stupidly ruthless all Summer, shifting out a mass of players with absolute no sympathy.

We’re going to play excellent football next year with the intensity we saw when he first took over, taking to our new signings immediately whilst blooding a bottomless pit of young talent in the Europa League.

We’re going to challenge on all fronts the following season and dominate the English game throughout the 20’s.
Who is this man who will be managing us and why haven't other top clubs snapped him up on a long term contract?
If he achieves all those things, he'll get a knighthood!

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Well, we know that Young and Jones aren't good enough. What did he do? Awarded them contract extensions and gave Young the captains armband.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What because I'm not blindly supporting a manager that I'm confident is not good enough for the club I love?
You haven't given him a chance ffs. He's managing Jose's misfits. At least let him have 1 transfer window before you write him off ffs.

Our fanbase is pathetic.

Godfather

You haven't given him a chance ffs. He's managing Jose's misfits. At least let him have 1 transfer window before you write him off ffs.

Our fanbase is pathetic.
Nothing he has done so far as a manager (not only at United) tells me he has what it takes. He is a decent lad and all but I just don't think he will make it here. Hope he proves me wrong though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nothing he has done so far as a manager (not only at United) tells me he has what it takes. He is a decent lad and all but I just don't think he will make it here. Hope he proves me wrong though.
Took over at Cardiff in January the season they went down. They were already struggling and they were shite. He'd have had to work miracles to save them.

Jurgen Klopp relegated Mainz once upon a time. It can happen to the best of them when they are starting out.

Support the manager until it's no longer possible ala Jose right at the end. Ole might surprise you.

edcunited1878

What bothers me the most is that while Ole's head is firmly on the chopping block, because that's just the way it is in football management in general and then 100x at United, is that there is way too much emphasis on the manager.

It's always going to be a revolving door, but what shouldn't be a revolving door is the structure that surrounds the manager. It all goes back to the top for me and I'll beat the horse till it's dead because it's so, so important now in modern football or shall we say post-Fergie era.

Ole's future success or failings is going to be dependent on not only himself and his staff, but the football operations, which he doesn't really have an control over. The operations should be clear and transparent in terms of who is in charge and why they are there. Which then dovetails into the broader vision of the football from youth, academy and the first team.

The sides should focus on technical ability with the understanding that counter-attacking football with a press/high back line is ingrained through all players, regardless of level. When in possession, it's quick outlets through a central midfield fulcrum or quickly out wide looking to play the ball centrally then forward with movement ahead to manipulate space and pulling defenders out of position. Then you find players and first team manager who fit this vision.

When players and managers move on, you're just filling the void and everything continues to function. Why do other teams throughout the country and Europe seem to be able to do this, but not United.

Ole's slate might be clean, but the slate around him as it relates to the football structure/operations is bollocks and will continue to handcuff any United manager.

Godfather

Took over at Cardiff in January the season they went down. They were already struggling and they were shite. He'd have had to work miracles to save them.

Jurgen Klopp relegated Mainz once upon a time. It can happen to the best of them when they are starting out.

Support the manager until it's no longer possible ala Jose right at the end. Ole might surprise you.
It just annoys me that we overlooked so many young talented managers out there that let fantastic football play and gave the job to Ole based on a few games after a honey moon period.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It just annoys me that we overlooked so many young talented managers out there that let fantastic football play and gave the job to Ole based on a few games after a honey moon period.
Honestly think you are forgetting how broken the club is mate. Another big name coach would have gone same way as Jose n LVG. There's clearly something wrong behind the scenes. Might be the twat Ed Woodward

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He'll be gone by December. He had half a season to weed out some of the trash and instead of doing that he gave them more prominent spots in his lineups.
Yeah he could have replaced the "Trash" by dipping into our incredible array of squad options.

M16Red

players who have seen off 3-4 managers are still at the club.

They'll be the same no matter who comes in unless the club tell the players that they no longer have any power to down tools on managers. I.e. the manager is here to stay and every player can and will be sold if needs be.
I'd love Ole to send a signal of intent and just sell like Pogba, Martial or Lukaku you know like when SAF sold Beckham people were like "what" or RVN.

just made the players sat up and think okay no one is safe .

This virus comment from Jose was calculated, I'm wondering if it's accurate.

Flytan

I'd love Ole to send a signal of intent and just sell like Pogba, Martial or Lukaku you know like when SAF sold Beckham people were like "what" or RVN.

just made the players sat up and think okay no one is safe .

This virus comment from Jose was calculated, I'm wondering if it's accurate.
I agree with it, but it's one thing if SAF does it after years of success versus a new manager without any successful history in the top leagues as a manager.

Yeah he could have replaced the "Trash" by dipping into our incredible array of squad options.
I mean we have a bright young RB that showed plenty of promise in Dalot but he was constantly put on the bench despite Ashley Young being the worst player in the premier league.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I agree with it, but it's one thing if SAF does it after years of success versus a new manager without any successful history in the top leagues as a manager.

I mean we have a bright young RB that showed plenty of promise in Dalot but he was constantly put on the bench despite Ashley Young being the worst player in the premier league.
Exaggerate much.

SER19

He will only have a clean slate if he gets rid of the worst influencers in the dressing room. Based on nothing but my own guesswork and some tabloid stories I would say we are better off trying to rebuild a proper culture after getting rid of Sanchez, Pogba, and martial. In Pogbas case there is simply no explaining or justifying his capitulation in recent months after performing so well. He can’t blame the big bad manager anymore. He just can’t be relied on and the Pogba circus isn’t worth it.

haram

How do we even know if he is making the right decisions on these players? Being ex Man United does not make him qualified.

passing-wind

How do we even know if he is making the right decisions on these players? Being ex Man United does not make him qualified.
Jones inclusions have already shown me enough to have lost faith in the credibility Solskjaer offers us moving forward. Rashford playing every single game despite horrendous form, Ashley Young playing week in week out and De Gea not benched despite basically costing the club top 4 ?

I too believe Solskjaer will be out by Christmas, it's not what I want but I would genuinely be surprised if Ole makes it until 2020

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Clean slate for everyone.
Sacked in the second year.
Clean slate for the next manager.
Sacked in the second year.
Clean slate for the next manager.

That's how the likes of jones, smailing, mata, valencia, rojo can stay for 10 years with us.

hn4manunited

Our transfer business and targets will determine the success( or lack of) next year. And success isn't the title.
Why can’t Ole do what you are claiming Jose failed to do which is get the best out of the current squad of players?

Also, what is success if it isn’t the title?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why can’t Ole do what you are claiming Jose failed to do which is get the best out of the current squad of players?

Just like why Jose didn't get best of Van Gaal squad and replaced that with bunch of giants to play his hoofball.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Because even if many of these players perform to the best of their ability, we will still be miles behind City and Liverpool. Then you have the likes of Martial who just does not seem to have the attitude and mentality to be a top player.

Title next year is completely unrealistic unless City and Liverpool implode

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Given the current state of the squad, he should be given 2 or 3 windows before any real judgement. Ain't gonna happen though

DSG

Aaaahhhhh. Oppressive negativity.... The Caf is in rare form today.

Whenever I’m feeling a bit too happy, satisfied with my station in life, it’s nice to drop by and read a few hundred posts about how shitty the manager, the club, and the players all are and how there is no way to turn this around.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Aaaahhhhh. Oppressive negativity.... The Caf is in rare form today.

Whenever I’m feeling a bit too happy, satisfied with my station in life, it’s nice to drop by and read a few hundred posts about how shitty the manager, the club, and the players all are and how there is no way to turn this around.
Is there such a thing as "oppressive negativity" ?

wolvored

There's lots of clubs over the years have a new manager come in and within that first transfer window and pre season improve the following season. As long as we see improvement over the season in the style of play, fitness levels, a clear strategy to play to our strengths yet still finish 5th/6th lets say then that is all you can ask as a minimum. We are rock bottom in style attitude fitness and strategy at the moment and a big improvement on this is whats needed over finishing 4th or higher. Obviously if we can finish 4th or higher, all the better.