Ole's Press Conference | 05:30 BST

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
"There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

Complete opposite of what he said post match against Everton.
Not really. Some players won't be here is what he said Vs Everton is that right? Doesn't mean the remaining players won't be successful.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To be honest, how good is his reputation really? He managed one pl club and he relegated them.

It's nauseating reading some of the stuff @SER19 and the likes write. They dont care about the club, they just want to see their favorite person at the helm no matter how unqualifed they are. People like that cant seperate feelings with logic and that is a very destructive way of living and will always end bad. Its goes against all logic to hire a nobody like Ole.

@SER19 Lets be frank, if his name was Joe Nobody with the exact same resume as Ole, would you want him? Of course you wouldnt. But because he is an idol of yours you throw away all reason and going with your feelings. This is why we are in this position, we need to me far more ruthless and base our decisions of logic, not sentimental feelings.
Not having a go at your SER19, im sure you are a nice guy and all but its clear you are going with feelings on this one rather than logic.

I loved Ole the player but Ole the manager is a dud.
I am referring to his reputation as a United's legend. Should he tarnish that reputation for a few more months of contract?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Definitely prefer to hear the manager say he rates his squad and we don’t have any urgent need to sign players than the exact opposite vibe we got this time last season. A negativity straight out the gate that was only ever going to end one way. Whatever the reality is, behind the scenes.

arthurka

Because contrary to popular belief - Phil Jones is a decent defender. Not good enough to be a regular - but more than good enough to be a squad-player and he seems happy to stay. Will Jones and Smalling be here in 2 years ? Probably not - but in our current situation we need as many reliable players as possible. And by reliable I mean someone you know what you are gonna get from....and even if Jones makes the odd mistake, 4 out of 5 matches he is solid.
Jones and reliable are two things that don´t go together at all. He could be called many things but reliable really isn´t one of them.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Is in your books moaning and criticizing the same thing?
No, not at all mate. Just the way I interpreted his comments.

Fans every right to be shouting and screaming, the club is horrendously run from top to bottom. But we are being told to shut up and accept mediocrity. Stupid comment from Solskjaer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What's he supposed to say? He was never going to get an entire new team and if we can't work with or improve the players at his disposal, then he's not the right manager anyway. It's been said multiple times, but it wasn't just the players over the last 6 years. The managers also failed to improve the players that they had. Why is it that quite a few players looked better before they joined or in Memphis' case improved once they left? I can't stand most of them either, but he still has to work with what he's got, even if we bring in 3 more players for example.
He probably doesn't believe certain players will succeed, but what does saying that publicly in pre season achieve?
I don't disagree. If he says what he thinks he ends up like Mourinho. Hence, the useless nature of press conferences in general. I would say his true feelings were expressed post Everton when his emotions were still raw.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

An injury prone and error prone defender is as useful as bull tits. He will probably be injured when you need him or if he's fit he'll commit a brainfart. Id rather see us giving tuanzebe a real shot then flogging this dead horse
Watched a club training clip from Perth on YouTube yesterday. Walking off the pitch at the end Jones was hobbling.

Injured after the first session on tour! :nervous:

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
This has been a refreshing change from the drab and depressing press conferences we got last pre season.

Ole really can't say anything else regarding transfers in and out. In these negotiations, you don't want to show your hand as a football club and say you're desperate to sign players and get rid of players because teams will offer you much less for yours and much more knowing you're desperate to offload and sign players. I know people point to him saying about being ruthless in the market but he was probably very emotional at the point and his true thoughts came out. I guarantee he hasn't changed his mind about it, he's just being more calculated in what he says to the media which isn't a bad thing. He probably also realises that his comments last season contributed to the massive dip in form so if he still has to work with these players, he can instill some belief into them before the season starts.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
No, not at all mate. Just the way I interpreted his comments.

Fans every right to be shouting and screaming, the club is horrendously run from top to bottom. But we are being told to shut up and accept mediocrity. Stupid comment from Solskjaer.
No. Most of those mashing their keyboards couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Some of them would sooner see us sold to the fecking Saudi's just so they can have their shiny FM toys. Those idiots are who he is referring too in those comments.

Not everyone who is loud has the best interests of the club at heart.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No of course he shouldn’t, I just don’t see the point of the statement, anyway it doesn’t really matter.
There was a clear point to the statement but as usual with most things here you missed it quite spectacularly.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No. Most of those mashing their keyboards couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Some of them would sooner see us sold to the fecking Saudi's just so they can have their shiny FM toys. Those idiots are who he is referring too in those comments.

Not everyone who is loud has the best interests of the club at heart.
I thought it was fairly straight forward to understand from Ole to be honest.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seems to match up with his reputation as a Glazers yes man who will accept mediocre transfer windows which cement out position well outside of the top 3. Also sounds like Dan James is actually intended to be a first teaser with that "chip in" comment, he got 4 goals in the championship last season playing with far more space in behind the opposition then he'll get at United so I wouldn't expect too many from him.
How on earth do you take that he is a Glazer yes man and will accept mediocre transfer window from that presser. Unbelievable

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There's literally nothing to moan about in this press conference. He says we need a "few" more in. Said that we won't be bullied in the transfer market.

and yet fans here are moaning. Incredible.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
“Positive attitude” !?

Have you seen the presser on YT? If so look at his eyes and then tell me that’s a positive attitude. Then listen to his voice. It’s anxious and defensive. Please check again and then tell me I’m wrong.

In his first answer about our players he starts to answer a question about Pogba, bla bla “heart of gold”and “top bloke” and so on and then he smoothly criticize the media for reporting it negative and when the second question comes he then says he don’t want to talk about it. Is that your definition of a good answer and a positive attitude?

Third question is about when he said being “ruthless”. Sorry. Lost for words.

I can go on. About Pogba wants to leave. “Paul never been a concern for me” bla bla ...

I don’t care if the whole world find those answers positive because I don’t buying it. Listen to what he says and look at his face. Do you see a man who believe in his own words? Two questions away he says he didn’t want to talk about it then he still continue to talk about everything and nothing. That’s not good enough. Journalists are not stupid. They will eat him alive if this continue.

Then the worst part. He can’t criticize his own fans!

Doesn’t matter if he’s right or wrong you can’t just do that. “The loudest is not the best fans”, wtf does it mean? So he wants fans who don’t criticize him, the team and the shit that they see. Is that what he wants? Crazy comments! This is a war he never can win. Absolutely crazy and I’m 100% sure that any media strategist will tell him that’s suicide to say things like that.

I hate to criticize him. It sucks but he just can’t attack his own supporters. Sorry to be negative but...

settembrini

Not the best conference from Solskjaer.

He must surely have been expecting the question about Pogba and Raiola publicly talking about leaving United but his response was confusing and, frankly, a bit weird. He didn't really address the issue and just started rambling about how their is an agenda against Pogba because United's own press team put out a video that showed him and Lingard having a tiff.

Kudos to the guy that brought up Solskjaer's own comments about United being ruthless vs United seemingly intent to go into the season with the same players that have been letting us down for years. That was definitely the question I wanted asked the most and I was happy that Solskjaer admitted he could see his point. Again though the response was lacklustre. Everyone knows that United have a squad packed with mediocre players who need shifting and Solskjaer won a lot of brownie points from fans last season when he talked about being ruthless/survival of the fittest/certain players won't be here next season etc. Now he's talking about how great out players are and how he can trust them and we don't need to sell... either he was wrong last season or he's wrong now and I'm afraid we all know which it is.

On the positive side he's infinitely more pleasant to listen to than our previous manager. Mourinho's negativity towards our young players was awful this time last year so Solskjaer bigging up Greenwood was nice.

Litch

Pretty straight bat type of press conference I guess. Thought he handled the questions well and in fairness to him not much more he could do given the situation. It's clear to me we have given up winning anything for a while and we are almost waiting for the city and Liverpool projects to run their course, and it's our turn again. Maybe we are waiting for Klopp and Pep to bloody leave....

Zlatans Knee

Those of us that moan aren’t real fans.
No, I think that more that the best fans are not fair weather fans. We all want the best players, facilities, stadium, playing style, etc...but it is not that straightforward. These things always go in cycles (unless you play in the Spanish, Italian or German leagues). For once I think we are taking a much more pragmatic approach to the transfer window. We have 2 good recruits and obviously we need a couple more for which there is still time. They are managing the Pogba and Lukaku situations, and they are ensuring that we are not an easy target to lose our best players (or even the rubbish ones like Jones).

Reactions: KM

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
There was a clear point to the statement but as usual with most things here you missed it quite spectacularly.
Is there any need to be rude, really? I’m not quite sure what else I have missed. Not every opposition fan is here on a trolling capacity. I don’t see you talking the same way to United fans questioning what Ole is saying.

Adamsk7

We’ve got some very weird fans. This is getting Liverpool-esque.

Perfectly fine first Presser of the season. What did you want him to say?

“Yeah this squad is shit. Ed isn’t getting me anyone decent because he’s just as bad.”

Or

“Paul asked to leave. I can understand that because we finished 6th and are a bit poor, aren’t we? His agent could do with shutting his mouth and laying off the Pizza Pies”

Bare in mind that the greatest Manager that ever lived also rarely criticised his players, spoke about transfers or said anything other than positive things about the board or the Glazers.

Zlatans Knee

“Positive attitude” !?

Have you seen the presser on YT? If so look at his eyes and then tell me that’s a positive attitude. Then listen to his voice. It’s anxious and defensive. Please check again and then tell me I’m wrong.

In his first answer about our players he starts to answer a question about Pogba, bla bla “heart of gold”and “top bloke” and so on and then he smoothly criticize the media for reporting it negative and when the second question comes he then says he don’t want to talk about it. Is that your definition of a good answer and a positive attitude?

I can go on. About Pogba wants to leave. “Paul never been a concern for me” bla bla ...

I don’t care if the whole world find those answers positive because I don’t buying it. Listen to what he says and look at his face. Do you see a man who believe in his own words? Two questions away he says he didn’t want to talk about it then he still continue to talk about everything and nothing. That’s not good enough. Journalists are not stupid. They will eat him alive if this continue.

Doesn’t matter if he’s right or wrong you can’t just do that. “The loudest is not the best fans”, wtf does it mean? So he wants fans who don’t criticize him, the team and the shit that they see. Is that what he wants? Crazy comments! This is a war he never can win. Absolutely crazy and I’m 100% sure that any media strategist will tell him that’s suicide to say things like that.

I hate to criticize him. It sucks but he just can’t attack his own supporters. Sorry to be negative but...
Glad we have a mentalist in our midst. Otherwise I might only take what Ole says at face value.

Reactions: KM

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Some supporters had issue with Jose 'criticizing' some of our supporters at times, yet it looks like Ole has started to venture down that path today.

If they don't want supporters to react, then fecking interact with the supporters...tell us the papers are talking crap. Instead we get radio silence. They just seem to think we are mindless sheep that should think everything is rosy, as they seem to.

Litch

“Positive attitude” !?

The fans comments were bizarre to say the least. Ole kind of reminds me of the Moyes appointment where he appeared so grateful to get the opportunity, it was like he left his balls at OT entrance when he arrived. Ole needs to be careful as he's coming across like a bit of a 'yes man' and the one thing that he had over the many things that he hadn't when getting the job was the backing of the fans. Loses that and he'll be gone by Christmas.

Johan07

Or was it the protests that seem to have been popping up? Also it seems Woodward is turning into Levy with transfers, publicly stating we don’t have to overpay.
When did Woodward state that? Source? Thats a very tabloid thing you just did. You are a better poster than pulling stuff like that.

NoMidfielders

How on earth do you take that he is a Glazer yes man and will accept mediocre transfer window from that presser. Unbelievable
What do you take from it? It's very clear he's not a man who's gonna stand up to them even if they fail to deliver for the rest of the window and it matches the reports we've had since he took over.

Eriku

If he means to disrespect the fan base, the largest portion of the fan base, then he will not be here for a long time, being an as* kisser to Ed and the Glazers will not save his job if he fail and talk shit like this.
So the largest portion of the fanbase is the group who are shouting about how the sky is falling?

Good riddance to those fecks, they make following United feel like a chore. I think you’ll find most match-going fans are about supporting rather than going «reee!» at every opportunity.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Watched a club training clip from Perth on YouTube yesterday. Walking off the pitch at the end Jones was hobbling.

Injured after the first session on tour! :nervous:
There goes our 'reliable' squad player. However there's more that meets the eye. Jones hasn't been carrying his weight for more then half a decade. By the end of his contract he would have been with United for 10 whole years. How can anyone take Ole or any other manager seriously regarding the survival of the fittest or keeping high standards if someone whose as useless as him keep staying at the club? Such decisions tend to demoralise the talented players who want to to play with an ambitious club while creating an aura of complacency within the club among those who do not.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The fans comments were bizarre to say the least. Ole kind of reminds me of the Moyes appointment where he appeared so grateful to get the opportunity, it was like he left his balls at OT entrance when he arrived. Ole needs to be careful as he's coming across like a bit of a 'yes man' and the one thing that he had over the many things that he hadn't when getting the job was the backing of the fans. Loses that and he'll be gone by Christmas.
haha!!

It's quite amazing how people are getting this "yes man" theory from. It's quite astonishing how some fans can completely fabricate a situation and make it reality.

Oh, so you're expecting him to s**t all over the very people that employ him, or become argumentative and hard to work with? Look how well that turned out for Jose.

Like a poster said above, SAF NEVER Criticised the owners.

TBF the owners have always given the manager money when he's asked for it (baring last summer with Jose) never been an issue. I really don't understand why people have a problem with the glazers.

I think the clubs run quite well and have no issue with the way things are going. Sure the DoF is a bit farcical when all of our rivals are getting people in, yet when there's briefings in the press of ex players in the running for it. They're criticised, yet other clubs such as Arsenal with Edu and Chelsea with Cech, nothing. No criticism what soever. Yet because our fans have a somewhat elitist view of the club we should always have the best of the best. We haven't been the best of the best for the best part of a decade!

Litch

We’ve got some very weird fans. This is getting Liverpool-esque.

Perfectly fine first Presser of the season. What did you want him to say?

“Yeah this squad is shit. Ed isn’t getting me anyone decent because he’s just as bad.”

Or

“Paul asked to leave. I can understand that because we finished 6th and are a bit poor, aren’t we? His agent could do with shutting his mouth and laying off the Pizza Pies”

Bare in mind that the greatest Manager that ever lived also rarely criticised his players, spoke about transfers or said anything other than positive things about the board or the Glazers.
....not sure he'd have commented about the fans either. Taking on board what you rightly said, why comment about the fans as it was fodder for the media and could easily be interpreted wrongly depending how you heard it?

Abhinav

The real fans will stand behind him as long as they see he is approaching the job with honesty, integrity and enthusiasm that he has shown so far. The 'moaners' will continue to moan irrespective of whatever happens as you can't please everyone and the internet has unfortunately given voice to a lot of these people who have nothing better to do than moan. That's what Ole meant when he said the 'loud' ones are not representative of what the fan base as a whole feels.

People are criticizing him for his well thought out answers, maybe they would rather hear him throw his players under the bus, declare that Pogba will rot in reserves, and that he has a shitty squad that he can't hope to achieve anything of note with. I am sure that will make some of these media 'experts' happy, although I doubt it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sometimes loyalty and love towards an organisation can make people do or accept silly things. It happened to me as well
Forgive me for being dubious of that. I can’t remember a single positive thing you’ve said about either.