Ole's Press Conference

TRUERED89

This is why I don't understand people saying DM is more important than CB, I think between McT, Matic, Fred, we should be ok in that position this season?
Matic definitely needs replacing ASAP, he's a complete waster, but next window may be more plausible. You're right though CB is far more pivotal for our team right now than CDM. Also if we get Bruno and retain Pogba then we're looking decent in MF for now..

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Matic definitely needs replacing ASAP, he's a complete waster, but next window may be more plausible. You're right though CB is far more pivotal for our team right now than CDM.
Whilst I agree, if the right CB isn't available (which I am personally incredulous of as there are many CBs better than what we have), but the right DM were available then I would still sign the DM and hold off on the CB.

romufc

Matic definitely needs replacing ASAP, he's a complete waster, but next window may be more plausible. You're right though CB is far more pivotal for our team right now than CDM. Also if we get Bruno and retain Pogba then we're looking decent in MF for now..
Exactly Bruno will compliment Pogba well because at the moment, if Pogba plays higher up, we haven'y got a player that can find Pogba. I would prefer Pogba playing 6, passing to Bruno, James, Rashford then making his run. This will balance our midfield IMO.

TRUERED89

Exactly Bruno will compliment Pogba well because at the moment, if Pogba plays higher up, we haven'y got a player that can find Pogba. I would prefer Pogba playing 6, passing to Bruno, James, Rashford then making his run. This will balance our midfield IMO.
Look at how shite Liverpool's midfield is, and look at the impact a quality CB like VVD made on them (2 CL finals, 2nd in PL), didn't matter if they didn't have technical MF's in the end, CB is definitely the main priority without question, which will solidify our back line finally..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Look at how shite Liverpool's midfield is, and look at the impact a quality CB like VVD made on them (2 CL finals, 2nd in PL), didn't matter if they didn't have technical MF's in the end, CB is definitely the main priority without question, which will solidify our back line finally..
They're a bit different though. They have 3 VERY good attackers who score/assist plenty themselves. Their fullbacks are the highest assists going.

The midfielders are water carriers who just pass the ball wide or forwards, and sweep up after pressing. no intention of scoring unless desperate.

We don't have that luxury yet.

romufc

If you look at my initial post, I did say CB is the most crucial position we need to change. We can get away with a Cb and having Pogba, McT, Fred, Matic, Gomes, Mata.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
The only interesting part in the presser was about our transfer activity. The rest was “yada yada” to paraphrase HOF Shannon Sharpe on FOX.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am not sure about that. Bruno is a no 10. At max he can play as the most advanced CM. That means we will have to ask Pogba the impossible ie to defend and track back. Matic will need help on that.

romufc

I am not sure about that. Bruno is a no 10. At max he can play as the most advanced CM. That means we will have to ask Pogba the impossible ie to defend and track back. Matic will need help on that.

I dont think Matic will start, looks like McT is getting the CDM role.

devilish

I dont think Matic will start, looks like McT is getting the CDM role.
I doubt it. Mctominay adds mobility as opposed to Matic but he lacks the experience to keep the midfield's composure especially if pitted alongside two very attacking minded midfielders

midnightmare

I doubt it. Mctominay adds mobility as opposed to Matic but he lacks the experience to keep the midfield's composure especially if pitted alongside two very attacking minded midfielders
You mean like if he’s asked to do a job against midfielders like Verratti?

devilish

You mean like if he’s asked to do a job against midfielders like Verratti?
FFS lets stop mentioning that game. First of all Verratti is not Maradona. Secondly PSG were the better side in that game and we won because 90 year old Buffon messed it up.

Raven

Squad players are of course important, but far less so than the starting eleven. Herrera wasn't good enough to start for us, so I'm sure as shit Pereira isn't good enough. Maybe McTominay makes it, maybe not. It doesn't matter. A team striving to be at the top doesn't have inexperienced youth players in the starting lineup.
"You can't win anything with kids."

:rolleyes:

Raven

I would disagree with that. Fabinho, Lallana, Keita, Gini are all better than what we have after Pogba.
Mehh, Lallana and Keita have only been alright. Keita just taking a while to settle I'd think. Gini has only really hit his stride in the last couple of seasons. It's not inconceivable that the players we have could reach that level in the next 2 or 3 years.

Would be nice to get a DM like Fabinho though.

romufc

Mehh, Lallana and Keita have only been alright. Keita just taking a while to settle I'd think. Gini has only really hit his stride in the last couple of seasons. It's not inconceivable that the players we have could reach that level in the next 2 or 3 years.

Would be nice to get a DM like Fabinho though.
In all honesty, I cannot see how Liverpool are doing so well. They have an OK midfield, upfront Mane, Salah, Firminho... which of those would you take?

Probably only Mane?

Shows what a top draw manager can do.

Raven

In all honesty, I cannot see how Liverpool are doing so well. They have an OK midfield, upfront Mane, Salah, Firminho... which of those would you take?

Probably only Mane?

Yeah, they all fit perfectly with Klopp's style, nothing more to it really.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Probably only Mane?

Is this a joke? They have a workhorse midfield, sure, no world class quality there but total commitment. They've got the best full backs in the league, the best centre back, a top class GK, and a world class attacking frontline where two are allowed to shine while one works his socks off for the team.

Their first XI is pretty brilliant. They could improve on a CB if Gomez continues to struggle with injuries and they could improve their attacking depth, but they look pretty set when everyone is fit. They might improve in midfield with more creative quality, but they'd need to ensure anyone coming in has the same amount of work rate.

It's a shame to say it, but they have a top class team. I'd take Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, Firmino and so would everyone else who recognises quality.

romufc

Is this a joke? They have a workhorse midfield, sure, no world class quality there but total commitment. They've got the best full backs in the league, the best centre back, a top class GK, and a world class attacking frontline where two are allowed to shine while one works his socks off for the team.

Their first XI is pretty brilliant. They could improve on a CB if Gomez continues to struggle with injuries and they could improve their attacking depth, but they look pretty set when everyone is fit. They might improve in midfield with more creative quality, but they'd need to ensure anyone coming in has the same amount of work rate.

It's a shame to say it, but they have a top class team. I'd take Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, Firmino and so would everyone else who recognises quality.

I didnt say anything about their defensive line up.

In backup they have Origi, Shaqiri, Milner, Hendo.

But sure I struggle to accept quality.

Treble

Probably only Mane?

Serious? Any of them has done a lot more than their counterparts at United. The latter are mostly about potential.

You have a point though. Their manager makes their team way more than the sum of their parts. Which any top top manager should do anyway.

romufc

Serious? Any of them has done a lot more than their counterparts at United. The latter are mostly about potential.

You have a point though. Their manager makes their team way more than the sum of their parts. Which any top top manager should do anyway.
Agreed they have done more. But to achieve what they achieved in the last two seasons with that team?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didnt say anything about their defensive line up.

In backup they have Origi, Shaqiri, Milner, Hendo.

But sure I struggle to accept quality.
Fair enough then about the backline, but Firmino and Salah are absolute top drawer. Yes, they don't have enough depth up front, but those three cause any defense to panic.

romufc

Fair enough then about the backline, but Firmino and Salah are absolute top drawer. Yes, they don't have enough depth up front, but those three cause any defense to panic.
I agree the pace is frightening, but on paper we should be getting Rashford, Martial, Pogba to be playing hell of alot better, surely they have the quality to compete against them?

Doesn't this come down to the manager as well?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I agree the pace is frightening, but on paper we should be getting Rashford, Martial, Pogba to be playing hell of alot better, surely they have the quality to compete against them?

Doesn't this come down to the manager as well?
Of course the manager has a huge input, and I'm not trying to underplay what Klopp has done, but those players have exhibited fantastic attitude unlike Martial and Pogba, in particular. I think both Martial and Pogba can become as good as they want to be, but I'm not sure if they'll truly become world class unless their attitude changes dramatically. Rashford is already benefiting from Ole's support.

The problem with on paper is it's "on paper". These players have to go out there and deliver, consistently, and that's not only down to the manager's influence. If you're going to achieve anything, anywhere, you need to be self-motivated.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Fletcher and Butt were two of our most important squad players at different times under Ferguson. I think they are underrated if anything.
Agree with this. Butt played in the champions league final in 99, he was quality. I don't think there were many players at the time anywhere that could break into a Midfield of Keane and Scholes.

Fletcher was fantastic and big game player especially in 08/09 season and unfortunate to miss the champs league final.

Both definitely underrated.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Is there a press conference on right now? I don't have access to MUTV right now.
Yeah:

Ole on Lukaku: Not feature in this one too. Got injured in training, working with the physios.

Ole on Lindelof: Is fit

Ole on if he doesn't get any new players: I believe in these players. I identify if we need someone, it's about finding a way we need to play. If it’s to be or not to be, we will see.

Ole on playstyle: Important to play on the front foot. Easier in preseason than in midseason, spoke about this last 6 months as well. Tour has been very good for team building as well

Ole on new signings: It would take time for any player to adjust to Man United. I am very happy with the two players(AWM and James). Sometimes it takes time. My feelings are not frustrating at all.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Gone from "it will be the last time you will see some of these players" to fully believing in them in the matter or 6 weeks.

Already trying to cover Woodwards dealings.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He still clearly believes we will do business. Our biggest failing is our inability to move players on.

vanderpants

Gone from "it will be the last time you will see some of these players" to fully believing in them in the matter or 6 weeks.

I find it embarrassing, after the low points at the end of last season, getting hammered by Everton then losing to Cardiff etc, ole was tough talking and now we haven't signed half the players he wanted or shipped anyone out, Ed Woodward you are a true cnut

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

I don't think that's what he's saying.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Ole on fan backlash 'Those sitting there refreshing transfer tabs and demanding we sign some teenager from a league they've never watched are pathetic and a small minority of fans. They need to get out, it is sunny in England no?'

It's good to hear him with a bit of fire!

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

He still clearly believes we will do business. Our biggest failing is our inability to move players on.
I find it embarrassing, after the low points at the end of last season, getting hammered by Everton then losing to Cardiff etc, ole was tough talking and now we haven't signed half the players he wanted or shipped anyone out, Ed Woodward you are a true cnut
I don't think that's what he's saying.
His comments about not looking for a different route because of hurdles implies we won’t be switching targets just because the fees maybe proving a hurdle at first. Which implies we will still go all out for Maguire and co.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Ole on fan backlash 'Those sitting there refreshing transfer tabs and demanding we sign some teenager from a league they've never watched are pathetic and a small minority of fans. They need to get out, it is sunny in England no?'

Don’t think this is a real quote. I doubt ole would call any fan pathetic.

Bestietom

Going back on what he said after last game of season. I can see a CB coming in and that's it.
More excuses. Gawd they do pull the wool over our eyes each season now.

R'hllor

Cute