Ole's Press Conference

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But you do notice when they don't play, just look at the Everton game, 4-0 loss.
Still, most of the time they were ineffective. As said, we can't keep replacing good players with less good players. Else the only way is down not up.

OohAahMartial

I actually found the Martial bit interesting. He hasn’t impressed, yet Solskjær praises his attitude. As opposed to in april. He also calls biggs him up, calling him world class in sted of just ‘a fine lad who can do well’ as he might say if he was going to downplay his role.

Looking at Martial so far, I was wondering if he’s beeing marginalized a bit and maybe on his way out. It doesn’t sound like it, though.
In pre-season you will only hear positive comments from him, to boost team morale and spirit, and individual player confidence. He did also say that his workrate is better, which highlighted that it wasn't before. What no one asked him, as usual, was why Martial is playing as a #9 and not on the left-wing. It is starting to look like James is replacing Martial on the wing, and with Rashford first choice up front, Martial is shifted to being a squad player.

Allas8

Still, most of the time they were ineffective. As said, we can't keep replacing good players with less good players. Else the only way is down not up.
The fact that they are ineffective comes down to the manager, not the players.

devilish

Of course Keane, Carrick and Scholes were better players, I'm not arguing that at all. I said they were two of our most important squad players, which is invaluable when chasing silverware. Butt wasn't the best player but he completed his role diligently and allowed the others around him to play due to the work he done, guys that played with him said as much. Fletcher was an excellent player in my opinion and you are right that it was a shame what happened to his career for us with that illness.
As said, valuable squad players. Butt covered a role ie that of Keane's cover. That was his function and did reasonably well especially at a time when good players rarely accepted the bench. But lets not overrate him in saying that he was highly important because he wasn't. We could have easily won what we won without him.

The least I say about Fletcher the better. The end of his career was nothing short but tragic and he was a way better player then Butt was.

MisterLupus

Squad players is the key phrase here. We won the lot because we had Keane, Carrick and Scholes in midfield, not Nicky or Darren.
We won because we had all of them. Squad players play an important part of any team's success. If they're either inadequate or half-arsing it - you will feel the consequences of this throughout the length of a campaign. Also one could argue that the squad players we had back then were of such class they would be considered key players elsewhere.

devilish

The fact that they are ineffective comes down to the manager, not the players.
Ah that's BS. Managers do matter to an extent but not even SAF can take a bunch of donkeys to a historic treble win.

devilish

We won because we had all of them. Squad players play an important part of any team's success. If they're either inadequate or half-arsing it - you will feel the consequences of this throughout the length of a campaign. Also one could argue that the squad players we had back then were of such class they would be considered key players elsewhere.
We won because we had a brilliant side + committed reserves who were often decent enough to fill their boots for a short period of time. Don't think for one second that Butt could replace Keane or Phil could replace Irwin. Phil nearly cost us the treble against Arsenal (FA cup semi final) with his typical lousy tackle inside the box. Thank god our 2 WC players (Schmeichel and Giggs) saved the day, turning a brainfart into a magnificent goal.

I also feel uncomfortable to pit Fletch with the Butts, the Phils and the Osheas. The former actually had the talent to be more then a reserve. He's more of a Wes then an OShea.

Allas8

Ah that's BS. Managers do matter to an extent but not even SAF can take a bunch of donkeys to a historic treble win.
But SAF was able to win the league with Cleverley starting.

Camilo

Squad players are of course important, but far less so than the starting eleven. Herrera wasn't good enough to start for us, so I'm sure as shit Pereira isn't good enough. Maybe McTominay makes it, maybe not. It doesn't matter. A team striving to be at the top doesn't have inexperienced youth players in the starting lineup.

MisterLupus

Squad players are of course important, but far less so than the starting eleven. Herrera wasn't good enough to start for us, so I'm sure as shit Pereira isn't good enough. Maybe McTominay makes it, maybe not. It doesn't matter. A team striving to be at the top doesn't have inexperienced youth players in the starting lineup.
Yeah you're right. Can't win anything with kids - after all :smirk:

Johan07

In pre-season you will only hear positive comments from him, to boost team morale and spirit, and individual player confidence. He did also say that his workrate is better, which highlighted that it wasn't before. What no one asked him, as usual, was why Martial is playing as a #9 and not on the left-wing. It is starting to look like James is replacing Martial on the wing, and with Rashford first choice up front, Martial is shifted to being a squad player.
I see it more as a sign of or even hedging for Lukaku leaving.
If Lukaku does leave, Martial will get more minutes at No9 and needs to be comfortable with that position as well.
I would be extremely surprised if OGS starts James before Martial on the left against Chelsea.
EDIT
Its also probably a consequence of Lukaku not taking part in any pre-season games as well.

Matt007a

You can't have 11 world class players unless you're Man City and have an unlimited pool of cash. McTominay has been improving steadily over the last 2 years and I think he's good enough to play CDM this season. He's no Makelele or Kante but he's decent enough that it's not a priority position this window.

United Hobbit

No Lukaku again... not that I particularly want him to feature but why isnt he making the effort to get fit? He was widely criticised for being too big last season so would have thought he would put in some extra effort to get fit....

I also note the wording it's not that he's still recovering from injury just that he isn't fit. Everyone else there has been fit enough to play so why not him? He wasn't even allowed extra holiday was he?

Maybe it's a cover up for him not to be used until he's had talks with Inter

Matt007a

I suspect Ole doesn't really want to spend time getting him match fit when he's leaving. Better to let the other forwards get all the game time.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Would you be fine with paying £50m for Longstaff?
Firstly, I'm pretty sure our scouted list of footballers is longer than Sean Longstaff.

Secondly, I don't care about fees, if we aren't spending it on the squad it will be sent on debt interest payments or go in the Glazers pockets.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Not very encouraging stuff.

At this stage I would be glad with selling Lukaku, keeping Pogba and get in Fernandez and Maguire. Not enough at all but at least that would be a start.

Allas8

Firstly, I'm pretty sure our scouted list of footballers is longer than Sean Longstaff.

Secondly, I don't care about fees, if we aren't spending it on the squad it will be sent on debt interest payments or go in the Glazers pockets.
So since Manchester United makes so much money we should just start handing it out to our rivals to keep the Glazers from making money? Never understood this argument, but I guess fair enough.

OohAahMartial

I see it more as a sign of or even hedging for Lukaku leaving.
If Lukaku does leave, Martial will get more minutes at No9 and needs to be comfortable with that position as well.
I would be extremely surprised if OGS starts James before Martial on the left against Chelsea.
EDIT
Its also probably a consequence of Lukaku not taking part in any pre-season games as well.
Maybe a bit of both, but if Lukaku goes, we will sign a replacement, who would probably jump ahead of Martial. Martial really has to work to compete this season.

romufc

So since Manchester United makes so much money we should just start handing it out to our rivals to keep the Glazers from making money? Never understood this argument, but I guess fair enough.

Yes, lets stop buying players because it will improve our rivals. Let us not buy anyone. Keep the money and give it to the Glazers.

Allas8

Yes, lets stop buying players because it will improve our rivals. Let us not buy anyone. Keep the money and give it to the Glazers.
In the future when we try to sign a player from our rivals, we should just hand them a blank check and ask them to fill in a sum, then pay that no matter what it is.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
So what's your alternative, we move into next season with the same squad that has failed every season since Fergies retirement?

We cause our own problems by not investing so clubs know we are desperate and hike up the prices. City can afford to walk away from deals because they have a good squad. We don't and we struggle to attract players because of our lack of success and so overpay on wages too. We created this whole environment for ourselves and are now sitting here complaining about it rather than doing anything to change it.

Smores

Not very encouraging stuff.

At this stage I would be glad with selling Lukaku, keeping Pogba and get in Fernandez and Maguire. Not enough at all but at least that would be a start.
At this rate I'll be pleased with the one transfer. It's fecking madness the situation we find ourselves in and strange that most seem to have just accepted our lack of business.

GlasgowCeltic

You can't have 11 world class players unless you're Man City and have an unlimited pool of cash. McTominay has been improving steadily over the last 2 years and I think he's good enough to play CDM this season. He's no Makelele or Kante but he's decent enough that it's not a priority position this window.
The top clubs have world class players all over the pitch, the ones that don't have world class managers who can get away with it.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Of course Keane, Carrick and Scholes were better players, I'm not arguing that at all. I said they were two of our most important squad players, which is invaluable when chasing silverware. Butt wasn't the best player but he completed his role diligently and allowed the others around him to play due to the work he done, guys that played with him said as much. Fletcher was an excellent player in my opinion and you are right that it was a shame what happened to his career for us with that illness.
Wasting your time mate. I used to have this argument with him about Fletcher years ago. He thinks the only players United should have should be ones which everyone would say are world class. Anything less and it's not good enough for him.

Someone the other day pointed out how often Nicky Butt played in midfield with Keane in the treble season. He averaged 38.4 games per season for us over a 10 year period in which we won 6 league titles, 3 FA cups, 1 European cup and an Intercontinental cup.

He played 47 times in the treble season.

But he's just a workhorse who is overvalued by United fans.

Edit: Oh and I see we could apparently have easily won all that without him. Embarrassing that I support the same team as this bloke.

Grande

If he’s commenting on his attitude, that’s obviously what he’s seeing working alongside side him day in day out. Not 2 45 minute performances in pre season games.
Martial is exceptionally talented, getting the best out of him is pretty vital for Ole.
Exactly, as it was in April. I think Ole’s tone about him has changed. Hopefully that’s because Martial is doing the right things in the right way.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Wasting your time mate. I used to have this argument with him about Fletcher years ago. He thinks the only players United should have should be ones which everyone would say are world class. Anything less and it's not good enough for him.

Someone the other day pointed out how often Nicky Butt played in midfield with Keane in the treble season. He averaged 38.4 games per season for us over a 10 year period in which we won 6 league titles, 3 FA cups, 1 European cup and an Intercontinental cup.

Edit: Oh and I see we could apparently have easily won all that without him. Embarrassing that I support the same team as this bloke.
Even if you don't accept he was United first team quality then surely you must see how important he was given the number of games he played as it means the main guys could be rested or recover from injuries without too much bother.

Grande

That’s what I thought first as well. Maybe Im making too much out of it, but if Ole was thinking like that, I doubt he’d have called him a world class player, regardless of the need to create a good atmosphere. At least I wouldn’t want to make the impression I was putting a world class player on the bench while playing James and Rashford. The only reasons I could see for that would be either if he knows he’s going to play Martial and Rasford both, and he want to use the early games to test a few things for the wing positions (how ready are James, Chong, Greenwood and Gomes?) and regardi g the striker role (how much do we need a replacement for Lukaku/how ready is Martial to play that role at a high level is Rashford is out/out of form). But yeah, I am making a meal out of it.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I still have the Treble DVD (one of my favourites :drool:) and it did always strike me just how much Butt played that season, in all competitions. That alone shows you the value he had as an important squad player for us. No one is saying he was as good as X player either, just that he had a lot of worth that was greatly appreciated by the team.

Never underestimate the value of having squad players who do the thankless roles to help make other's jobs easier.

TRUERED89

Do the people who don't rate McTominay actually watch him play?

The lad has done nothing wrong in any game I've seen him. Darren Fletcher and Nicky Butt used to get the same treatment from some of our fanbase. Rarely did anything wrong and put in 7 out of 10 or higher in nearly every game yet fans still didn't rate them.
Agreed, McT has been great under Ole, under-rated by the majority..

romufc

Agreed, McT has been great under Ole, under-rated by the majority..
This is why I don't understand people saying DM is more important than CB, I think between McT, Matic, Fred, we should be ok in that position this season?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
No Lukaku again... not that I particularly want him to feature but why isnt he making the effort to get fit? He was widely criticised for being too big last season so would have thought he would put in some extra effort to get fit....

I also note the wording it's not that he's still recovering from injury just that he isn't fit. Everyone else there has been fit enough to play so why not him? He wasn't even allowed extra holiday was he?

Maybe it's a cover up for him not to be used until he's had talks with Inter
Took your time getting there!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
This is why I don't understand people saying DM is more important than CB, I think between McT, Matic, Fred, we should be ok in that position this season?
Fred shouldn't play as a DM, Matic and McT may be but it depends on Matic fitness and mobility or McT continuous development.

Tarrou

Highly important? They were valuable squad players nothing more nothing less. Butt had as much of a chance of being a first teamer with us as I had to beat prime Tyson. He then went on at Newcastle were his true worth and, well, we know how that ended up. Fletch was slightly better. I admire his attitude for not losing hope even when he was 5th choice with us (after Carrick, Scholes + new signings Hargreaves and Ando). At one point he was close to snatch a first team place. Its a shame it turned out the way it did.

I've never seen fans idolising the work horses more then we do. No wonder why we're now filled with them (and only them)
Nicky Butt did become a first teamer with is, for several seasons.