Ole's transfer strategy

Cliche Guevara

Ole needs to learn to work with what he has, and come up with tactics to make the most out of our players and we will win the league.
Disagree entirely!

If we are serious about investing in Ole, and the future at the same time, we need significant additions.

Even if it doesn’t work out for Ole I still expect the profile of the signings to be players of sufficient quality, an understanding of the modern game, and to have longevity.

There’s no justification to having to work with players who haven’t been involved in even a title challenge in six years. Nobody is winning the league with this squad.

wolvored

Nonsense! We have spent shetloads on our squad, and we have a squad that finished second in the league.

Ole needs to learn to work with what he has, and come up with tactics to make the most out of our players and we will win the league.
Is that you Mr Glazer?

captain666

In theory we could be left with a squad of just Romero,Grant,Dalot,Young,Smalling,Jones,Lindelhof,Shaw,Matic,Martial,Rashford,Greenwood,Chong,Gomes plus returning loans,good luck with winning the Premiership without some serious additions!
I am of course forgetting to include Garner,McT,Fred,Pereira,Dearnley,Hamilton,Lingard,Olusunde and Ro-Shaun Williams,my bad!

Devils11

Out: £250m

DDG - £50m PSG
Valencia - free(already done)
Darmian - makeweight for Skriniar
Bailly - £15m Fenerbache
Jones - £15m West Ham
Rojo - £5m Estudiantes
Young - £5m Villa
Matic - £10m Milan
Herrera - free(already done) PSG
Pogba - £150m Madrid
Mata - free(all but done) Barca
Lingard - makeweight for Eriksen
Sanchez - free(hell, subsidize his wages) China
Lukaku - makeweight for Oblak

In: £350m

Oblak - £30m + Lukaku
Meunier(final contract year) - £20m
Skriniar - £70m + Darmian
Neves - £50m
Eriksen(final contract year) - £50m + Lingard
Sancho - £80m
Felix - £50m

First XI

Rashford—Martial—-Sancho
———Eriksen—McTom
—————-Neves
Shaw-Lindelof-Skriniar-Meun
—————-Oblak

Subs: Romero Dalot Mike Fred Pereira Felix Greenwood

Properly promoted: Henderson Laird Tuanzebe O’Connor Garner Gomes Chong

It’s so simple.
Out : 250m
1) Pogba 120m ( no we are not giving u 500k )
2) De Gea 40m ( no we are not giving u 350k )
3) Lukaku 50m
4) Sanchez FREE
5) Mata FREE
6) Herrara FREE
7) Darmian + Bailly + Rojo : 40m

In : 300m
1) David Alaba 40m ( Bayern just bought Hernandez , so he might be available plus he could cover the whole back 4 )
2) De Ligt 80m ( the new Jaap Stam )
3) Douglas Costa 40m ( Explosive Winger can play both side )
4) Neves 80m ( Classy DM )
5) Rabiot FREE ( Industrious elegant CM )
6) Nabil Fekir 60m ( Gifted attacking flair AM )

First 11

----------Rashford
Martial-----Fekir------Costa
--------Neves---Rabiot
Shaw--Lindelof--De Ligt--Alaba
-------Romero/Deano

Last edited:

soapythecat

DDG - £50m PSG
Bailly - £15m Fenerbache
Jones - £15m West Ham
Rojo - £5m Estudiantes
Young - £5m Villa
Matic - £10m Milan
Pogba - £150m Madrid

Oblak - £30m + Lukaku
Neves - £50m
Sancho - £80m
Felix - £50m

First XI

Rashford—Martial—-Sancho
———Eriksen—McTom
—————-Neves
—————-Oblak

It’s so simple.
I love these kind of posts. Talk about head in the clouds!
Put the crack pipe down lad, this isn't Football Manager

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In theory we could be left with a squad of just Romero,Grant,Dalot,Young,Smalling,Jones,Lindelhof,Shaw,Matic,Martial,Rashford,Greenwood,Chong,Gomes plus returning loans,good luck with winning the Premiership without some serious additions!
Winning the PL should be the aim but realistically I still don't think we'll compete seriously even next season.

MDFC Manager

DDG - £50m PSG
Bailly - £15m Fenerbache
Jones - £15m West Ham
Rojo - £5m Estudiantes
Young - £5m Villa
Matic - £10m Milan
Pogba - £150m Madrid

Oblak - £30m + Lukaku
Neves - £50m
Sancho - £80m
Felix - £50m

First XI

Rashford—Martial—-Sancho
———Eriksen—McTom
—————-Neves
—————-Oblak

It’s so simple.
Wow, the state of this :lol:

Reddevil1977

The players below I would like us to get rid and that's because they can also fetch decent transfer fees which is important in order to build a team which is better than our current squad.

Antonio Valencia (Free)
Marcus Rojo (5M-10M)
Eric Bailly (25M-35M)
Alexis Sanchez (£35M-50M)
Romelu Lukaku (£60M-70M)

I believe selling the above 5 players would bring in (£125M-165M)

We need to promote 2 players from the U23 squad to the first team and 2 players from the U18

Andre Gomes (Under 23)
Tahith Chong (Under 23)
James Garner (Under 18)
Mason Greenwood (Under 18)

We need to to buy the following players for next season if we qualify for champions league this season.
Although I don't agree with player prices but I believe this is what it will cost to secure these players

Jadon Sancho (80M-100M)
Bruno Fernandes (65M-75M)
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (£80M-95M)
Matthijs de Ligt (70M-100M)

Securing the above players would cost whopping (£295M-£365M)

Our net spend for next season could be (£170M-200M)

Its important for us to retain players like Pogba & De Gea

Our First XI for next Season

De Gea (GK)

Defenders

Dalot
Lindelof
De Ligt
Shaw

Midfield

Pogba
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Bruno Fernandes

Forward

Jadon Sancho
Martial
Rashford

George The Best

The players below I would like us to get rid and that's because they can also fetch decent transfer fees which is important in order to build a team which is better than our current squad.

Antonio Valencia (Free)
Marcus Rojo (5M-10M)
Eric Bailly (25M-35M)
Romelu Lukaku (£60M-70M)

We need to promote 2 players from the U23 squad to the first team and 2 players from the U18

Andre Gomes (Under 23)
Tahith Chong (Under 23)
James Garner (Under 18)

We need to to buy the following players for next season if we qualify for champions league this season.
Although I don't agree with player prices but I believe this is what it will cost to secure these players

Jadon Sancho (80M-100M)

De Gea (GK)

Defenders

Dalot
Lindelof
De Ligt
Shaw

Midfield

Pogba
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Bruno Fernandes

Forward

Jadon Sancho
Martial
Rashford
Nobody will be paying £35 - £50m for Sanchez with his wages. We’d have to pay him to go most likely.

DSG

The fact that none of us can agree on any single transfer, much less how we can completely rebuild the squad shows you just how difficult a task it is.

Ole will be backed by a net spend of at least 150m, and I hope we can unearth some quality for relatively little outlay. We need at least 7 players and it’s doubtful we’ll be able to bring in that many in a single window.

Christie

Disagree entirely!

If we are serious about investing in Ole, and the future at the same time, we need significant additions.

Even if it doesn’t work out for Ole I still expect the profile of the signings to be players of sufficient quality, an understanding of the modern game, and to have longevity.

There’s no justification to having to work with players who haven’t been involved in even a title challenge in six years. Nobody is winning the league with this squad.
Are you saying we wrongfully sacked Mourinho and should have sacked Ed and the board for not backing him instead?

nameischarles

Antonio Valencia (Free)
Marcus Rojo (5M-10M)
Eric Bailly (25M-35M)
Romelu Lukaku (£60M-70M)

Andre Gomes (Under 23)
Tahith Chong (Under 23)
James Garner (Under 18)

Jadon Sancho (80M-100M)

De Gea (GK)

Defenders

Dalot
Lindelof
De Ligt
Shaw

Midfield

Pogba
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Bruno Fernandes

Forward

Jadon Sancho
Martial
Rashford

No one is buying Sanchez for £35-50 million. I don’t think there will be any takers, he’ll probably be bought out. Lukaku will probably be between £50-60 million or £50 million but with add ons.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know one thing. To bring 3,4 talented young(ish) is not the thing that we need now. Yes, sure that we can sign De ligt or Sancho if we can, but we need also to bring players who will make difference now, not after 3 years.
I am not saying that we should sign 30y old players but bringing 3 young players in this squad is not solution. We need leader in defence and we need proven attacker/inside forward.

wolvored

Antonio Valencia (Free)
Marcus Rojo (5M-10M)
Eric Bailly (25M-35M)
Romelu Lukaku (£60M-70M)

Andre Gomes (Under 23)
Tahith Chong (Under 23)
James Garner (Under 18)

Jadon Sancho (80M-100M)

De Gea (GK)

Defenders

Dalot
Lindelof
De Ligt
Shaw

Midfield

Pogba
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
Bruno Fernandes

Forward

Jadon Sancho
Martial
Rashford
No way will anybody offer that money for Sanchez. If we can shift him it will be on a free to get shut of

John Blund

I just hope we buy talent who has shown form the last year. Picking up "established" falling stars for millions is NOT the way ahead. Sanchez didn't have a great season for Arsenal when we picked him up. Look at Torres to Chelsea - he was in a decline before Liverpool cashed in on him.

Bale. I'm in the "please not Bale"-camp. Bale is currently probably in his worst season in Real since he signed for them. And this was the season he was supposed to step out of CR7s shadow.
Coutinho? Please. I rather have Sancho if we'll break the bank for someone. If Barca axe him, and we can pick him up for £40-50M, then it's another story...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I am referring to the era Ole was here so RVP is out. RVN and Dwight Yorke weren't exactly proven signings. The former was playing in Holland at the time which was still a better league then it is now but not exactly at par to the EPL. Meanwhile there was plenty of question marks about the latter with Edwards & Kidd pushing for Hartson instead. Teddy was indeed proven but these sort of signings were usually the exception with SAF rather then the rule

During his early/mid time at United, SAF's transfer strategy was mainly about getting <26 years old players and then take them to the next level. We would sign young talent like Rio, RVN, Stam, Vidic, Rooney and Ronaldo then make them world class.
but my point was that SAF often went for proven talent at times so RvP very much counts and Yorke was most certainly proven - scored lots for Villa. RcN was scoring for fun in league and for Holland so that's proven in my mind. thank goodness w didn't go with Hartson (never heard that story)

Dve

The United way during Ole's time

Many see SAF’s united way as a one constant strategy that never changed through time. I disagree. SAF of the early and mid-years was a different beast to the cautious SAF of the latter years who built his strategy around 3-4 ageing stars with the rest providing the leg work.

Now Ole stayed with us from 1996 till 2007. What’s sort of United’s way was he introduced to?
Between 1996 and 2007 we signed 52 players. Out of those 52 only 14 were British or Irish ( Coton, Sheringham , Greening, Carroll, Richardson, Ferdinand, Steele, Martin, Alan Smith, Miller, Rooney, Foster, Carrick, Hargreaves). Out of those 14 just 4 players were an outstanding success (Rooney, Carrick, Rio and Teddy) which means a global success rate of 7.65%. Some might want to add Hargreaves to the list. However, I don’t think that someone whom we paid good money for and who gave us just 1 season can be added here.

On the other hand we had 38 foreign players who weren’t British. Out of those 38 we had 13 who were an outstanding success ( Van Del Gouw, Johnsen, Ole, Stam, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Saha, Vidic, Evra, VDS, Park and Tevez). That’s a staggering 25%. Some might add Blomqvist and Heinze to that list as well. I felt it wouldn’t be fair since the former got injured after a season and the latter, well, he was Heinze.

What’s truly amazing the absence of big name signings in that list. An optimistic approach would say 8 (Stam, Barthez, RVN, Veron, Ferdinand, Rooney, Hargreaves and Tevez). However I understand (since I share that same opinion) those who contest that by saying that the likes of Stam, RVN, Ferdinand and Rooney were bought mainly because because of their potential and were not big name signings at PSV, Leeds and Everton respectively

Having analysed the list you notice a strong trend towards young players (<26) and players coming from smaller leagues (Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Russia, Norway or the English lower leagues). We were incredibly successful in buying Dutch based leagues (RVN, Stam, Park, Rai Van Del Gouw)

Ole’s signings at Cardiff

Ole signed a staggering 17 signings (Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moller Daehli, Wilfried Zaha, Juan Cala, Kenwyne Jones, Fabio, Jo Inge Berget, Guido Burgstaller, Adam Le Fondre, Kagisho Dikgacoi , Javi Guerra, Federico Macheda, Tom Adeyemi, Sean Morrison, Anthony Pilkington, Bruno Manga, Danny Gabbidon). I tried to find data about his time at Molde but I failed on that regard. Having said that, a poster in here said that he was quite active on the transfer market at Molde as well.

Anyway basing ourselves on his time at Cardiff we can see similarities between SAF (Ole's period) and Ole. Similarly to SAF during Ole’s period most of Ole’s signings at Cardiff were not British and they were also <26 years signings

So what to expect?

If we base our opinion on this data then we can expect a lot of transfer activity. Ole will be targeting young players with potential, who provide value and therefore we won’t break the bank. That means we’ll probably be targeting leagues such as France, Holland and Germany + the lower English leagues. I think there's a bigger chance of us signing the likes of Lozano and Bergwijn then breaking the bank for Rice, Dybala and Jadon (unless of course he can get them on a realistic fee)

Meanwhile we can expect Ole to base himself heavily on our youth academy whom he rate highly (Eikrem, Daehli, Fabio and Macheda were all our youths)
I don´t think Ole will go mad in the player marked like he did at Cardiff. To get anywhere with Cardiff, he could only hope that someone would blossom more than the prize they were coming for. The profile of Ole´s signings were as you say, young, talented players AND players who used to be good, but were struggling to regain old form (the likes of Jones, Guerra, Macheda).

At United he does not have to buy so many unproven players and hope that some will become good - he can pick among those who have already proven their quality. And also, I´m not convinced Ole is 100 % satisfied with how he handled the freedom he had at Cardiff. The signings of Eikrem and Berget must have been based on pure optimism. I think he´ll be more carful about his signings this time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don´t think Ole will go mad in the player marked like he did at Cardiff. To get anywhere with Cardiff, he could only hope that someone would blossom more than the prize they were coming for. The profile of Ole´s signings were as you say, young, talented players AND players who used to be good, but were struggling to regain old form (the likes of Jones, Guerra, Macheda).

At United he does not have to buy so many unproven players and hope that some will become good - he can pick among those who have already proven their quality. And also, I´m not convinced Ole is 100 % satisfied with how he handled the freedom he had at Cardiff. The signings of Eikrem and Berget must have been based on pure optimism. I think he´ll be more carful about his signings this time.
United aren't Cardiff however we do share a similarities. We're both clubs with a relatively inadequate side which is expected to punch above its weight (ie Cardiff was expected to remain in the EPL, United is expected to compete for big honours). Ole would of course go for different type of players in terms of quality. However I think the philosophy will be the same (ie promising young players, who won't break the bank). That's the United way Ole remembers at United during his time and its the same United way he tried to utilise at Molde and Cardiff.

Litch

Somehow the end of each season, we still need 5 players for pretty much the same positions. To add to this, this season the players we thought we would be adding to sounds like they could be leaving too? We also have in the likes of Jones, Young, Rojo, Damian, Bailly that we cant sell cause either no one wants them or we cant sell them cause at this rate, there will be no fecker left here but a bunch of teenagers and forwards....

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I genuienly wouldn't mind selling our "stars" and replacing them with talented and hungry that actually want to make it here.

Lukaku "considering his future"
DDG, love him but won't sign the new contract
I'm not even going to start about Pogba

Foxbatt

I am nervous too. There are players like De Ligt and others who would fit into the attacking football style yet we are not going after them.
Many players in midfield who are better than what we have. Many strikers too and of course defenders.
I felt that when Quiroz left our football did suffer and have no faith in Phelan to overcome tactical nous that needs to win against better opposition.

johanovic

We need a lot of investment for sure but also think we have a good core to build on.

GK: De Gea, Henderson
RB: Dalot,Laird,O´connor + Wan Bissaka
CB:Lindelof,Smalling,Jones,Tuanzebe + Koulibaly
LB:Shaw+ New leftback as cover/competition

DM:McTominay,Garner + Ndombele or Partey
CM:Pogba,Fred,Lingard,Gomes,Pereira + Eriksen and Rabiot

Forwards:Rashford,Martial,Greenwood,Chong+L.Jovic and Hirving Lozano

Say that Bailly,Rojo,Young,Fosuh Menash,Valencia,Darmian,Mata,Herrera,Matic,Sanchez,Lukaku would leave. I know some will say that will not happen but with Herrara and Lukaku reportedly set on leaving would we miss any of the other players?

Starting lineup of:

De Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Koulibaly Shaw
Ndombele
Eriksen Pogba
Lozano Rashford Jovic
with a 20 man squad made up of:
Henderson,Dalot,Smalling,McTominay,Rabiot,Lingard,Martial,Greenwood,Fred,

Dve

United aren't Cardiff however we do share a similarities. We're both clubs with a relatively inadequate side which is expected to punch above its weight (ie Cardiff was expected to remain in the EPL, United is expected to compete for big honours). Ole would of course go for different type of players in terms of quality. However I think the philosophy will be the same (ie promising young players, who won't break the bank). That's the United way Ole remembers at United during his time and its the same United way he tried to utilise at Molde and Cardiff.
Yes, he would still want to sign young, talented players (which team does not?), but I think there could be some big names coming in as well - players that will go directly into the first team. Koulibaly, for instance, does not fit into the category "young and talented". Ole won´t spend 200m on talent only.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yes, he would still want to sign young, talented players (which team does not?), but I think there could be some big names coming in as well - players that will go directly into the first team. Koulibaly, for instance, does not fit into the category "young and talented". Ole won´t spend 200m on talent only.
Many players we've currently have in the squad won't be here next year. Darmian, Valencia, Rojo & probably Jones, Sanchez, Herrera, Fred, DDG and Lukaku as well will be on their way out. Under such circumstances I can see United's budget stretched to the limit. Under such circumstances I can see us go for value signings like Rabiot, Lozano, Brandt and Bergwijn. The latter three are young, they won't cost a bomb, they are fairly experienced and they are extremely versatile which will give Ole options.. If the gaffer wants some experience to the mix then he'll probably go for Toby (25m minimum fee clause), Hector Herrera or Rafael all of which are heading towards the end of their contract rather then smash the budget with a 100m rated Koulibaly.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
The hypothetical in and out posts in this thread are amazing.

MrSingh2002

We've got to buy the best young players in the world. Players like Ronaldo, Rooney, Ferdinand, De Gea, Pogba, Dalot, Martial.

Those purchases are low risk even if they're at times for considerable transfer fees.

Those type of players are now also going to clubs like PSG, City, Bayern, Atletico etc so there's more competition. But we should be going for players that have proven themselves at the top level for atleast a season or so who still have room to improve.

Wan Bissaka
De Ligt
Idrissa Gueye
Neves
Doucoure
Milinkovic Savic
Sancho

Experienced signings if needed to improve mentality within the squad:

Alderweireld
Meunier
Thiago
Kroos
Dybala

Theres so much talent out there that if United don't get it right this summer there needs to be a huge change at the club in terms or decision makers and scouting.

MrBest

Option One:
Rabiot - free
Nevez - 70m
Sancho - 80m
Wan Baska - 50m
Koulibaly/Di Lgit - 100m

Gross Spend of 300m, hugely unlikely.

Option Two:
Rabiot - free
Toby A - 25m
Wan Basaka - 50m
Lozano - 50m
Bruno Fernandez - 50m

Gross Spend of 175m, likely.

I reckon we will shify 4 or 5 players by choice and end of contract. Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Ander, Valencia and Sanchez the likely guys to leave. Hopefully we can bring in 30m and save a lot on wages.

Net spend either 270m or 145m and i think i know the answer. Either way, i really think a right back, centre back, 2 midfielders and a right winger woukd be a great swoop.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Option One:
Rabiot - free
Nevez - 70m
Sancho - 80m
Wan Baska - 50m
Koulibaly/Di Lgit - 100m

Gross Spend of 300m, hugely unlikely.

Option Two:
Rabiot - free
Toby A - 25m
Wan Basaka - 50m
Lozano - 50m
Bruno Fernandez - 50m

Gross Spend of 175m, likely.

I reckon we will shify 4 or 5 players by choice and end of contract. Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Ander, Valencia and Sanchez the likely guys to leave. Hopefully we can bring in 30m and save a lot on wages.

Net spend either 270m or 145m and i think i know the answer. Either way, i really think a right back, centre back, 2 midfielders and a right winger woukd be a great swoop.
Option one would be more in line with “doing things in the transfer market other clubs can only dream of”
Option 1 with Fernandes or Felix at benfica instead of rabiot and we’d be getting somewhere. That’s the level of investment needed. Watch as Madrid go out and duly buy everything needed to make it to the CL final again next year while our fans make lists and get sad. I want to be optimistic but I can’t let myself anymore. We are either the big swinging mickeys at the top of this supposed food chain and splash the cash or else we try and get smarter and spot talent better and let it grow into something

Woziak

Most of these lists are simply unrealistic. Some of these players are simply using us for a new Contract, like Raphiel Varane and others will not want to join on the basis of maybe not having Champions League football.

Realistic Summer Window;

Out;
Darmian 10M, Rojo 10M , Herrera Free, Mata Free, Sanchez 20-30M (China), Valencia Free

6 players out with a £40-50M sales revenue and reduction of wages of £1.1M per week added to Feillani 160k per week means a £1.25M per week reduction

In;
T Auderweireld 25M, T Meunier 25M, D Rice 50M, H Lozano 40M, J Rodriguez 55M

5 players in costing £195M - 45M = Net Spend of £150M net, wages for these players will be 200K for TA, 100k for TM, 80k for DR, 100k for HL and 200k for JR or £680K for all new incomings leaving approximately £550k per week to sign and keep P Pogba, D D Gea and M Rashford.

Conclusion - We simply will not have the budget to buy J Sancho, A Griezmann, P Dyballa, N D'ombele, C Ericssen, T Kross, Koulibaly, Saul because the club will not want to lose any of the key players like Pogba, Rashford and De Gea and the priority will be to make sure the club lose no more than 7 players this summer so Lukaku will not be sold either. The only exception I can see is maybe W Bissaka for Meunier and if Baily or Jones is Sold, we may try and buy De Light from Ajax. If we make the Champions League, then maybe the policy will change.

The Nani

So we're asking a chap who has no experience managing at this level to manage the team as well as the transfers.

It's an absolute farce.

I pray I'm wrong, but it is beyond unlikely that we get the number and quality of player we need this summer. Even if Ole is a steely genius in identifying players, you still have Ed and his banker buddy doing the negotiating. Never mind the fact that a number of players have one foot out the door. It's an absolutely dire situation.

I love Ole. One of my all-time favorite players and one of the more likable persons in football. But that actually makes it worse. He's been offered an impossible situation that he simply couldn't turn down. It could be construed that the board is manipulating via sentiment with his appointment. As I've said before, if this goes as badly as it could, I'll have a real problem with the club effectively throwing Ole under the bus.

ship50

Some posters are assuming that we will get the likes of Sancho or De Ligt easily. Don't think that would be possible, realistically. If we fail to qualify for CL, not many big names would want to join, regardless of their age. Then, if players like DDG and Pogba leave, there would be big holes to fill. The rebuild will take more than one season and if we again fail to get a CL place and win some silverware, the same situation will happen. We have put ourselves in a difficult position. Signing young, hungry players who are not overhyped is crucial but some experienced heads are also needed. Would be interesting to see how Ole handles this.

Siddharth

Why are people posting Pogba is about to leave. He may be admiring other clubs but we still have effectively 3 years contract with him after this season. We hold all the cards. De gea, i agree, wants to leave for trophies or in lieu of that wants to be heavily monetarily compensated by the club. So, i think we need to sell him. As for herrera, i think he is easily replaceable. Lukaku also must have 2-3 years left in his contract, so even there we are in control.

MrBest

Option one would be more in line with “doing things in the transfer market other clubs can only dream of”
Option 1 with Fernandes or Felix at benfica instead of rabiot and we’d be getting somewhere. That’s the level of investment needed. Watch as Madrid go out and duly buy everything needed to make it to the CL final again next year while our fans make lists and get sad. I want to be optimistic but I can’t let myself anymore. We are either the big swinging mickeys at the top of this supposed food chain and splash the cash or else we try and get smarter and spot talent better and let it grow into something
Good point on Madrid which is why option one is so unlikely for us. The funny thing is we have the cash and if we gets champions league again, thats also big money. Spend big this season, add a few more next and we are ready. The option would be to sell pogba for 150m.

Neville speaks a lot of sense here:

The strategy under SAF was always to sign the players who were a level below the best but had age on their side, in the hope they would develop into world beaters. Over the last few windows we've left that behind, instead signing older players on the decline and hanging on to players clearly not good enough because we can't find anyone else, and its going to take some time to get rid of that. Either way, Ole has to start somewhere and we still have the clout to get that profile of young player. We just need to avoid getting into the trap of going after the Gareth Bales and Antoine Griezmanns of the world again.

Carragher is also spot on with his comments that at Liverpool they often had an average squad and it only took one player to come in and lift everyone to a title challenging level. If we could have signed the 2012 Van Persie instead of Lukaku does anyone think we wouldn't have been challenging again? It's not enough long term but it gives you breathing space to bring in the other players you want.

Last edited:

StrettyEnder07

Hope he just spends it wisely, if he is getting the reported 200/250m and the prices being set at the moment, that is not a great deal of money to get in 4/5 top class players that we could do with.

Seen this morning that we are looking to pay the 25m tigger clause for Alderweireld which I think would be great business. Spending half of our budget on Koulibaly (although he would be phenomenal) or even worse 80m on Harry bloody Maguire, just would not make sense.

Alderweireld/Lindelof first choice next season would be solid, and only for 25m it would allow us to go and spend money on a Meunier/Wan Biasska, 2 CMs if Herrera does go and a RW.

Alderweireld 25m
Wan Biassaka 40m
2 CMs 90m for the two?
Sancho 90m

245m - Sounds doable to me

laughtersassassin

The fact that none of us can agree on any single transfer, much less how we can completely rebuild the squad shows you just how difficult a task it is.

Ole will be backed by a net spend of at least 150m, and I hope we can unearth some quality for relatively little outlay. We need at least 7 players and it’s doubtful we’ll be able to bring in that many in a single window.
150 mil isn't backed nowadays when our rivals who are miles ahead in terms of quality of players will spend similarly.

laughtersassassin

Hope he just spends it wisely, if he is getting the reported 200/250m and the prices being set at the moment, that is not a great deal of money to get in 4/5 top class players that we could do with.

Seen this morning that we are looking to pay the 25m tigger clause for Alderweireld which I think would be great business. Spending half of our budget on Koulibaly (although he would be phenomenal) or even worse 80m on Harry bloody Maguire, just would not make sense.

Alderweireld/Lindelof first choice next season would be solid, and only for 25m it would allow us to go and spend money on a Meunier/Wan Biasska, 2 CMs if Herrera does go and a RW.

Alderweireld 25m
Wan Biassaka 40m
2 CMs 90m for the two?
Sancho 90m

245m - Sounds doable to me

100% agree on Toby. If it means we can buy 5 players instead of 3 it makes way more sense to buy Toby than a 100 million centre back.

StrettyEnder07

100% agree on Toby. If it means we can buy 5 players instead of 3 it makes way more sense to buy Toby than a 100 million centre back.
I think so mate, 30 now so for a CB still has a good 3 maybe 4 years left (just look at the Italian CB's, Godin etc. all still going strong), you could then maybe off Jones or Smalling next summer and go big on a CB then but we have a little to much to do this summer and paying top dollar for a CB would cripple us, especially if we lose Herrera on a free.

Sounds like we are going after Rice to replace Matic, and I would take one of Neves/Doucoure as a Herrera replacement.

deadrevelz

Neville speaks a lot of sense here:

The strategy under SAF was always to sign the players who were a level below the best but had age on their side, in the hope they would develop into world beaters. Over the last few windows we've left that behind, instead signing older players on the decline and hanging on to players clearly not good enough because we can't find anyone else, and its going to take some time to get rid of that. Either way, Ole has to start somewhere and we still have the clout to get that profile of young player. We just need to avoid getting into the trap of going after the Gareth Bales and Antoine Griezmanns of the world again.

Carragher is also spot on with his comments that at Liverpool they often had an average squad and it only took one player to come in and lift everyone to a title challenging level. If we could have signed the 2012 Van Persie instead of Lukaku does anyone think we wouldn't have been challenging again? It's not enough long term but it gives you breathing space to bring in the other players you want.
Problem is that strategy applied to an era when we were the best side in the league. Is was about maintaining success, not creating it from new which is essentially what we have to do now. We only have De Gea and Smalling from Fergie's last winning side and arguably only De Gea deserves a starting place.
Fergie bought some established stars too and had experienced to players in every team. It's not just a choice between young talent vs past it overpaid stars.

And Carragher isn't spot on... Liverpool bought VVD and Allisson and they already had Salah, Firmino and Mane who were in great form. They reached the CL final the previous season.