Ole's transfer strategy

Hope he just spends it wisely, if he is getting the reported 200/250m and the prices being set at the moment, that is not a great deal of money to get in 4/5 top class players that we could do with.

Seen this morning that we are looking to pay the 25m tigger clause for Alderweireld which I think would be great business. Spending half of our budget on Koulibaly (although he would be phenomenal) or even worse 80m on Harry bloody Maguire, just would not make sense.

Alderweireld/Lindelof first choice next season would be solid, and only for 25m it would allow us to go and spend money on a Meunier/Wan Biasska, 2 CMs if Herrera does go and a RW.

Alderweireld 25m
Wan Biassaka 40m
2 CMs 90m for the two?
Sancho 90m

245m - Sounds doable to me
Yeah I saw the story I posted it in the CB thread, he's not my first choice but we have more pressing issues.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
With the sheer quantity/squad turnover which we need, without even considering whether or not deadwood are going to be sold, or players like Herrera, Pogba & DDG are staying (the latter 2 I'm sure will stay)....I think it's probably most realistic to expect a similar transfer strategy as mentioned in the OP @devilish

Maybe one big/mega signing, which fits the bill - young, hungry, English & in a position we're desperate - like Sancho at 100m - if he's available, but I doubt he'll be available according to Zorc.

Unless we're able to get in a talent like De Ligt, I'd probably not be too disappointed if we signed a stop gap like Alderweireld - experienced, classy and he'll be affordable considering his out of contract. It would only be short term - but it could mean that we have more money to plug some other gaping holes (RW, CM, DM, RW). Even Eriksen should be an option, though fitting him and Pogba into the same team might prove tricky (diamond, anyone?) and I doubt Spurs would sell to a domestic rival. Even considering his contract situation.

The rest is anyone's guess. Rakitic might be another option - most likely to be available, though he's also getting on in age. So a compliment of youth, signed with 1 or 2 experienced players would be ideal.

StrettyEnder07

Yeah I saw the story I posted it in the CB thread, he's not my first choice but we have more pressing issues.
Yeah if an open cheque book and we qualify for UCL etc. you would go for De Ligt or Koulibaly, he would probably be 3rd choice for me as rate him Maguire/Manolas etc.

I would put Varane in there but we all know he is using our name yet again to bulk up his wage demands, as per usual.

25m is a bit of a snip for him as well as he is still top top class. We will see, knowing Woodward we will go and pay 100m for Harry Maguire you watch haha

Yeah if an open cheque book and we qualify for UCL etc. you would go for De Ligt or Koulibaly, he would probably be 3rd choice for me as rate him Maguire/Manolas etc.

I would put Varane in there but we all know he is using our name yet again to bulk up his wage demands, as per usual.

25m is a bit of a snip for him as well as he is still top top class. We will see, knowing Woodward we will go and pay 100m for Harry Maguire you watch haha
I agree I think if we can get a solid DM we'll be fine. That's the postion we need to seriously invest in.

Problem is that strategy applied to an era when we were the best side in the league. Is was about maintaining success, not creating it from new which is essentially what we have to do now. We only have De Gea and Smalling from Fergie's last winning side and arguably only De Gea deserves a starting place.
Fergie bought some established stars too and had experienced to players in every team. It's not just a choice between young talent vs past it overpaid stars.

And Carragher isn't spot on... Liverpool bought VVD and Allisson and they already had Salah, Firmino and Mane who were in great form. They reached the CL final the previous season.
Ferguson always approached it that way, even before we were the best team in the league. We bought the best young talents like Pallister and Ince and turned them into world beaters. Look through SAF's transfer history, he loved buying players in their early to mid 20s who had done well but weren't quite at the top level yet. Some worked out and some didn't but he would almost never buy someone with the profile of Sanchez or Matic. That only came later on and he only did it a handful of times to fill a short term gap.

Carragher wasn't on about the current team. He was on about the sides he played in when players like Torres and Suarez lifted them beyond their level.

deadrevelz

Ferguson always approached it that way, even before we were the best team in the league. We bought the best young talents like Pallister and Ince and turned them into world beaters. Look through SAF's transfer history, he loved buying players in their early to mid 20s who had done well but weren't quite at the top level yet. Some worked out and some didn't but he would almost never buy someone with the profile of Sanchez or Matic. That only came later on and he only did it a handful of times to fill a short term gap.

Carragher wasn't on about the current team. He was on about the sides he played in when players like Torres and Suarez lifted them beyond their level.
You are forgetting the quality we already had in the squad when Fergie made those signings. He bought a lot of top players for big money throughout his time at United. It also took him 6 years to win the first PL title. We don't have that time. Two of his best signings were VDS and RvP.

Again, there is a difference between signing top quality players at their peak and over the hill players with injuries, poor mentalities etc like Sweinsteiger, Facao, di Maria, Matic. Ultimately it depends on whether we are trying to win the league in the next year or two... if we are we need some big signings. If we are happy to wait 3-5 years then only buying young players might work. No guarantee though.

Re: Carragher, I replied before watching the video, though my point still stands. He says we don't need a big turnover of players at United which is simply not true. Lots of deadwood to shift, lots of quality needed. Remember that Liverpool didn't win the league with Torres or Suarez. And considering the point tallies City are setting, there is no way Liverpool would be competing now if not for the signings of VVD and Allisson.

deadrevelz

I think the club need to start offering bigger transfer fees and lower wages. Inflation means that what seems expensive now looks normal in two years. The initial fee can replace high wage demands, which reduces the domino effect of current players asking for increased wages. We have the money, time to spend.

StrettyEnder07

I think RW, CB, CM & RB are more vital tbh.
All depends on Herrera going, if he does, personally would like to see

DDG
Wan-Biasska
Lindelof
Alderweireld
Shaw

Rice or Doucoure
Neves or Ndombele
Pogba

Sancho
Rashford
Martial

That would big time do me this summer, all for under 250m without considering sales.

TRUERED89

DDG
Wan-Biasska
Lindelof
Alderweireld
Shaw

Rice or Doucoure
Neves or Ndombele
Pogba

Sancho
Rashford
Martial

That would big time do me this summer, all for under 250m without considering sales.
----------------------DDG----------------------

Wan-Bissaka----Lindelöf---Aldewerald---Shaw

---------------------Rice-------------------------

---------Ndombele-------Pogba----------------

-Sancho----------Rashford----------Martial---

If Ed pulls that off I'll set my hair on fire :lol:

Web of Bissaka

Fair theories and speculations so far.

Wonder what Ole's transfer strategy would be with United. Clubs operation, strengths of inherited team and financial muscle should be considered though since all three can effects manager's transfer dealings at top club United and small club Cardiff (and his other clubs, not sure) are totally different.

I doubt he totally follow the Ferguson way. I felt that SAF's way is an adaptation of the Busby way, SAF and SMB have totally different way in transfers and all. Similar in some sense yet clearly different. Anyway, the United way specific in transfers is not really that specific imo, just that there are some key criterias there, so it's more like a general way of the club consistent with the Untied way in other aspects (not all the managers after Busby including post-saf follow it). I bet Ole will only merely adapt some of the key styles of the Ferguson way into his own way.

Ferguson way, specifically transfer-in-strategy is more balanced though - he signed promising youngsters, promoted many youths, signed before-to-prime-age players, crucial good squad players, players that can still improve, ready-made superstars, and even declining veterans with huge exps that can still contribute. A nice balance really, with a purpose to mix 'em all up. Transfer-out strategy is to get rid of problematic no-longer-manageable players, and past-it players who just can't contribute anymore. His final last 3-5 seasons though while still maintaining the transfer in strategy but having problems with it and didn't solve it, his out-strategy unfortunately changes to keeping a lot of deadwood.

My speculating theory of Ole's way is, from the impression I got so far, heavily youth and young players oriented. So expect 18 to 23 y.o. players to join in. More youths breaking through, less players send out on loan, and more young players join. His transfer-out-strategy is more on to letting the useless players leave on their own willingly, while he will still give em' good comments and games to play, but fewer and fewer. In addition to his transfer-in strategy, he even convince/insist on Pereira (youth, young, promising) to stay, so he'll be convincing the likes of Pogba and De Gea to stay even longer as much as he can with his positivy.

Just a theory, can easily be wrong. Lack of info so far.

Would be a fun this summer getting to know Ole's Summer Masterplan (OSM).

StrettyEnder07

----------------------DDG----------------------

Wan-Bissaka----Lindelöf---Aldewerald---Shaw

---------------------Rice-------------------------

---------Ndombele-------Pogba----------------

-Sancho----------Rashford----------Martial---

If Ed pulls that off I'll set my hair on fire :lol:
Hahaha you and me both, I am expecting Maguire in there for 90m, Matic to still be there, maybe 150m on Bale and that be about it haha

Web of Bissaka

All in all, Ed and co seriously need to back up Ole this summer.

I mean, yeah he did backed the manager trio before Ole except last summer where he refused to get another CB, eventhough it's plain as day the back especially centre needed upgrades. The prev manager making a meal, dinner and dessert tantrums out of it and messing up the team morale doesn't help the situation either. Still it showed Ed and co have no clue, and possibly getting more bold in financially supporting the manager (hope not).

Ole's transfer strategy would be pointless if he wasn't backed by the club.

Green_Red

Do we have any right wingers coming through the academy that might get a shout in the first team in the next year or two?

Sp00ks11

Out : 250m
1) Pogba 120m ( no we are not giving u 500k )
2) De Gea 40m ( no we are not giving u 350k )
3) Lukaku 50m
4) Sanchez FREE
5) Mata FREE
6) Herrara FREE
7) Darmian + Bailly + Rojo : 40m

In : 300m
1) David Alaba 40m ( Bayern just bought Hernandez , so he might be available plus he could cover the whole back 4 )
2) De Ligt 80m ( the new Jaap Stam )
3) Douglas Costa 40m ( Explosive Winger can play both side )
4) Neves 80m ( Classy DM )
5) Rabiot FREE ( Industrious elegant CM )
6) Nabil Fekir 60m ( Gifted attacking flair AM )

First 11

----------Rashford
Martial-----Fekir------Costa
--------Neves---Rabiot
Shaw--Lindelof--De Ligt--Alaba
-------Romero/Deano
I stopped reading at De Gea out for 40m :lol:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Neville speaks a lot of sense here:

The strategy under SAF was always to sign the players who were a level below the best but had age on their side, in the hope they would develop into world beaters. Over the last few windows we've left that behind, instead signing older players on the decline and hanging on to players clearly not good enough because we can't find anyone else, and its going to take some time to get rid of that. Either way, Ole has to start somewhere and we still have the clout to get that profile of young player. We just need to avoid getting into the trap of going after the Gareth Bales and Antoine Griezmanns of the world again.

Carragher is also spot on with his comments that at Liverpool they often had an average squad and it only took one player to come in and lift everyone to a title challenging level. If we could have signed the 2012 Van Persie instead of Lukaku does anyone think we wouldn't have been challenging again? It's not enough long term but it gives you breathing space to bring in the other players you want.
I’ve been saying this since 2015 when it was beyond doubt the club were rich and willing to spend but absolutely clueless in the market. We haven’t unearthed anyone to the level our rivals have. Maybe Lindelof, martial and shaw. Nearly all our average players from 2013 are still here on bigger money and we’ve just offered mata a new contract. It’s head scratching stuff. Why are you protecting an average investment that guarantees you no success. Let the players go and start again.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Do people not get the irony of wanting spurs players who are running down their contracts? Us, the supposedly way bigger club. It only goes to show how we are actually behind them when it comes to recruitment ideas. They are good players and I’d have Erickson here at any stage but we need to stop this buying older players on bumper deals. Spurs could easily match our wages and keep said players but are insistent on getting the correct value from their players. Something we seem to know nothing about anymore. We need to think outside the box we’ve put ourselves in and get the talent before the likes of Spurs Dortmund Ajax or Monaco get them and actually give the players chances, we’ve got nothing to lose. That’s the level we are at. We can’t attract the really top in demand players at those clubs when Barca or Real are in the picture and we need to stop acting like we can. Even city for all their money recruit far far more shrewdly than us. They nearly always get players on the up and ship them out straight away if they don’t fit. Not exactly rocket science.

sam147

Out: £250m

DDG - £50m PSG
Valencia - free(already done)
Darmian - makeweight for Skriniar
Bailly - £15m Fenerbache
Jones - £15m West Ham
Rojo - £5m Estudiantes
Young - £5m Villa
Matic - £10m Milan
Herrera - free(already done) PSG
Pogba - £150m Madrid
Mata - free(all but done) Barca
Lingard - makeweight for Eriksen
Sanchez - free(hell, subsidize his wages) China
Lukaku - makeweight for Oblak

In: £350m

Oblak - £30m + Lukaku
Meunier(final contract year) - £20m
Skriniar - £70m + Darmian
Neves - £50m
Eriksen(final contract year) - £50m + Lingard
Sancho - £80m
Felix - £50m

First XI

Rashford—Martial—-Sancho
———Eriksen—McTom
—————-Neves
Shaw-Lindelof-Skriniar-Meun
—————-Oblak

Subs: Romero Dalot Mike Fred Pereira Felix Greenwood

Properly promoted: Henderson Laird Tuanzebe O’Connor Garner Gomes Chong

It’s so simple.
Firstly, with your ins and outs we would have a net spend of 100 million which is unacceptable especially after last summer and no spending in January. The team has zero depth. You also manage to bring in 350m worth of signings while making the team worse and having a front trio with an average age of around 21. This is not fifa. You need experienced proven goalscorers to win titles. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood as ST rotation are not enough to win the league unless both wingers add 15 goals each. Yet you would also replace Lukaku and promote Greenwood to the first team, taking even more goals out the team. Also the Oblak for Lukaku signing has to be a joke right? Its not so simple. We need 3 windows minimum.

Out:
Darmian, Rojo, Valencia, Herrera and Mata.

In:
Wan Bisakka (40m)
Skriniar (70m)
Partey (40m)
Lozano (40m)

Thats a more realistic window. Ideally, we add an experienced consistent forward and a back up LB. Icardi for 80m if Lukaku wants to leave. We have Pogba with 3 years left on his contract. He needs to stay for another year minimum. De Gea cannot leave this window because we have many other areas that need to be improved. The only way he should be allowed to leave is with a swap for Varane. That way we can focus on Oblak rather than signing another CB.

Our team could potentially be:
Oblak: Wan Bissaka-Varane-Lindelof-Shaw; Fred-Partey-Pogba; Lozano-Icardi or Lukaku-Martial

We need to make the right signings with the right type of work ethic and mentality. Then we can focus the next windows on the 1-2 top quality additions.

SER19

Mctominay and dalot should be saving a fortune on wan bisakka and rice. Prioritise other areas and get top class players. We need back up in full back but we're not city and can't spend 200m on them.

Negan

An experienced top class RB who knows the Prem and can bomb forward and actually cross (Ricardo Pereira)
A world class CB (Kalidou Koulibaly)
An attacking world class LB (Alex Sandro)
A replacement for Matic (Ruben Neves)
A right winger (Jadon Sancho)
A backup/versatile rotation player (Wilfried Zaha)

All of these will be available and would make a massive improvement to our squad. It’s all about whether Woodward will get the cheque book out.... My guess is we won’t sign any of them. We’ll probably sign somebody like Maguire or Rice for an absolute bomb and yet they won’t make any fecking difference to the quality in our team.

We could easily ship out Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic, Young, Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Darmian. And Herrera and Valencia are off the wage bill now so that would free up some space to give actual good players the wages they require.

I want a squad overhaul next season. I don’t care how much it costs. We can’t afford any of our rivals to land those players I mentioned...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

DDG - £50m PSG
Bailly - £15m Fenerbache
Jones - £15m West Ham
Rojo - £5m Estudiantes
Young - £5m Villa
Matic - £10m Milan
Pogba - £150m Madrid

Oblak - £30m + Lukaku
Neves - £50m
Sancho - £80m
Felix - £50m

First XI

Rashford—Martial—-Sancho
———Eriksen—McTom
—————-Neves
—————-Oblak

It’s so simple.
You know this kinds of fantasy football stuff never happens in real life... right?

Aloysius's Back 3

6 players

De ligt
Rice
Wan Bissaka
BALE
Bruno Fernandes or Rabiot on a free
Jaoa Felix or Sancho

Rashford or Martial - Bale or Greenwood
Sancho/ Felix
Pogba - Bruno Fernandes
Shaw- rice - wan bissaka
De ligt - Lindelof
De gea

Out
Herrera free
Sanchez
Lukaku
Valencia
Darmian
Bailly
Matic

Subs
Romero, Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Dalot, Mctomminay, Fred, Mata, Martial or Rashford depending on form.

Lifted to first team

Laird, Greenwood, Tuenzebe, TFM, Garner, Gomes

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
An experienced top class RB who knows the Prem and can bomb forward and actually cross (Ricardo Pereira)
A world class CB (Kalidou Koulibaly)
An attacking world class LB (Alex Sandro)
A replacement for Matic (Ruben Neves)
A right winger (Jadon Sancho)
A backup/versatile rotation player (Wilfried Zaha)

All of these will be available and would make a massive improvement to our squad. It’s all about whether Woodward will get the cheque book out.... My guess is we won’t sign any of them. We’ll probably sign somebody like Maguire or Rice for an absolute bomb and yet they won’t make any fecking difference to the quality in our team.

We could easily ship out Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic, Young, Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Darmian. And Herrera and Valencia are off the wage bill now so that would free up some space to give actual good players the wages they require.

I want a squad overhaul next season. I don’t care how much it costs. We can’t afford any of our rivals to land those players I mentioned...
Shaw is probably near the top of players we don't need to prioritise upgrading to me!

A lot of other good calls there though, but I can't see us going for Zaha as a mere backup, as he'd be 60-70m! Even with our sell on fee, taking say 10-15% off, it'd still be a heck of a buy.

It'd almost make more sense buying Zaha to be the starting right winger, and Sancho as the backup, bearing in mind he is only 18 still, but then you can't be paying that money for a backup!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need about three or four players max.

A new RB. A new MF. A new RW. And perhaps a new CB.

RW wing i would go for sancho although there are other options.

Have not seen enough of others players for the other positions. Just hope we can get a top RB that is able to retain the ball. Basically the opposite to Young.

Celoti23-81

We need about three or four players max.

A new RB. A new MF. A new RW. And perhaps a new CB.

RW wing i would go for sancho although there are other options.

Have not seen enough of others players for the other positions. Just hope we can get a top RB that is able to retain the ball. Basically the opposite to Young.
The question is, how much budget will he get? I would be very surprised if he got anymore than £150 million, if that. In this day and age, your lucky to get 2 players. Zaha and Bissaka for example would be excess of a 100 million

sp_107

I think better you ignore about Delegit in your line-ups as it seems he is Barca bound and Rabiot as he is keen to join Zidane as per the noise coming from his camp.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

DDG - £50m PSG
Bailly - £15m Fenerbache
Jones - £15m West Ham
Rojo - £5m Estudiantes
Young - £5m Villa
Matic - £10m Milan
Pogba - £150m Madrid

Oblak - £30m + Lukaku
Neves - £50m
Sancho - £80m
Felix - £50m

First XI

Rashford—Martial—-Sancho
———Eriksen—McTom
—————-Neves
—————-Oblak

It’s so simple.
This is just comical stuff. Made me burst out laughing.

dove

DDG
Wan-Biasska
Lindelof
Alderweireld
Shaw

Rice or Doucoure
Neves or Ndombele
Pogba

Sancho
Rashford
Martial

I think we would seriously struggle to score 40 league goals with front 3 of Sancho - Rashford - Martial.

Sancho-Rashford-Martial on paper looks great but in reality it'll be frustrating viewing.
We need a consistent forward who's best days are still ahead of him.We hoped Lukaku would be that player but it doesn't seem to be the case.

DSG

I’m happy to sell De Gea for 50m. He’s been a great servant to the club, but 500k per week for a goalkeeper is outrageous.

I’m happy to sell Pogba for 150m (if he wants to leave). Lukaku is a good player at times, but not clinical enough for me and doesn’t fit Ole’s tactics. I’d drive him to the airport for 60m.

With other odds and ends, I expect you’ll raise 50m+ (Herrera free, Mata free, Jones 15m, Bailly 30m, Sanchez free, Darmian free, Valencia free, Rojo 5m)

Alderweirald (cover at CB for 25m)
Umtiti (30m)
Sancho 120m or Pepe at 50m or Lozano 40m
Fernandes 60m
Wan Bissaka 40m or Pavard 40m
Ndombele 40m
Jovic 70m

AgentP

I hope Ole can do what none of our earlier managers could. Get rid of the dross. We need to sell off Darmian, Rojo, Young, Bailly, Sanchez and release Mata, Valencia and Herrera.

We don't have to replace everyone we lose as most of them are not starters anyway. We just need a RB, RW, CB and CM. Four good signings and we'll be all good to go.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Some of you seem delusional. Get a grip and our gaffer, it's gonna be a muppet summer :)

Roboc7

If over the next two summers in total he isn’t getting 10 out and 8 in he’s in trouble, that’s the kind of revolution we need. No manager or DOF can be perfect with signings so no matter how much is spent he’ll still have work to do and if De Gea and Pogba want out it’s even more to do.

Gopher Brown

Some of you seem delusional. Get a grip and our gaffer, it's gonna be a muppet summer :)
What do you mean we can’t sell 15 players and bring in 7 superstars? All the while complaining that our squad isn’t deep enough at the moment?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A plan, so minimum must be dc, dmc and rw:
Sancho or Dembele
Varane or Skriniar
Brozovic or Neves

B plan( after we buy those 3) is to replace some players with better so sell one and buy other.
Smalling with De ligt
Lukaku with Icardi
Herrera with Rakitic
Young with Wan Bissaka

Lingard,Jones and Matic should be sold no matter what because now we can get some money for them.
A plan is good enough for fight for top4. B plan is to win title

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m happy to sell De Gea for 50m. He’s been a great servant to the club, but 500k per week for a goalkeeper is outrageous.
50m for de Gea would be robbery. If Kepa went for 70m we should easily be allowed to ask for close to 100m.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The question is, how much budget will he get? I would be very surprised if he got anymore than £150 million, if that. In this day and age, your lucky to get 2 players. Zaha and Bissaka for example would be excess of a 100 million
I would say the budget will be between 200 and 270 million. To buy Sancho that is 100 million gone straight away.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A plan, so minimum must be dc, dmc and rw:
Sancho or Dembele
Varane or Skriniar
Brozovic or Neves

B plan( after we buy those 3) is to replace some players with better so sell one and buy other.
Smalling with De ligt
Lukaku with Icardi
Herrera with Rakitic
Young with Wan Bissaka

Lingard,Jones and Matic should be sold no matter what because now we can get some money for them.
A plan is good enough for fight for top4. B plan is to win title
Did you not see AShley Young last night. If our hands were tied and we could only improve one position, it would have to be RB.