Omar Berrada | Man Utd CEO

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I personally think the pile on on ETH has been way over the top. I absolutely think he’s made mistakes this year but he’s far from alone in the poor showing this season.

I’m also a huge believer that you only get rid of a manager if there’s a better alternative out there. I just don’t see who’s available that would come in and do a better job considering the shit show that the club has been in for some time.

As was posted before, ETH hasn’t become a bad manager over night. Given time, a better structure around him, more belief and confidence in and around the club and I really do think we can turn a corner and show what we’re capable of.

I’m so fed up of the ‘sack the manager rinse and repeat cycle’ that we’ve been on.
Some very weird takes on this..

1. You only get rid when there is better alternatives, - you get rid when results are not improving. Or it becomes untenable to be with. How comes we can bin Ronaldo mid season for bad behavior without alternatives but for a coach we need alternatives before deciding otherwise.

2. ETH hasn't become bad manager over night - - - Question should be When did ETH become a good coach? When? In Holland? Even De Boer won the league there. One champions league semi final run then eliminations in R16 is what makes one a good coach. Even Ralf Rangnick was Schalke O4 coach when they reached Semi in 2011. Even Spurs reached CL final.

ETH is 53 years old. Same age as Pep.
ETH has managed only once in a Champions League Semi-final game in HIS LIFE.
Pep has had 9 ( NINE) champions league appearances. Klopp has 4 (FOUR) Final appearances.

Good and better managers compete for big trophies consistently.
Ferguson had 3 finals in 4 year period (2008,2009,2011 finals)
Klopp has had 3 finals in 4 year period in Liverpool (2018,2019, 2022)
Pep is on a 2 Finals in 3 year period for City (2021,2023)

3. Given time, a better structure he will do better - another very weird take I have seen it on this forum.

If ETH had total control, who to sign, how to play, who to bin off, how to train etc and he was unable to imprint his method to the team he had total control over what makes you think he will do better when all or some of those powers he had are taken away from him.

In that, you had power to do what you wanted to achieve success you're unable, but now you will achieve success when the powers you had will be taken away from you.

Then how comes, United is the only team with 'bad structure'. You mean Manchester United is the only team which complains of bad structure in the whole world.

Manchester United has incompetent employees not bad structures. From management to manager to players competent employees at Man United are few.

In my own assessment ETH is like Antony. A player he signed. Looked very good from Netherlands but EPL is a step steep ahead of him. Nothing to do with excuses, but or if's. It's just Antony is not cut for EPL.

Same ETH is not cut for EPL. Nothing to do with ETH as a human being it's just the League competition demands and quality is abit to much for him.
ETH is in the bracket of Poch, Arteta as a coach. Who will never beat Pep or Klopp consistently and who by 95% chance will never win a league title as long as Pep or Klopp are around.

Sad but true.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ten Hag is a good manager. Whether it works out at United is another story but if he leaves United then you can be sure he'll get another very good job and will likely do a very good job.

You're struggling to tell the difference between bad and a bad time. He came to the club a good manager. A sought after manager. He was a good manager last season, it's very easy to find PLENTY of United fans who agreed for most of the year.

He hasn't just become a 'bad' manager. Good managers and good players go through good and bad times. Pretty much like everyone in every field of work really.

Was Klopp a bad manager last season but good the season before and now back to being good again? Did he go to coaching school in the summer and relearn what he'd forgotten or something? When you're so short sighted and reactionary you have to jump around these ridiculous stances.

Our fan base has become one whose support is solely reliant on winning. That's not actual support. Support, much like many human relationships is tested when times are bad, not when times are good. It's dead easy to be a fan of a winning club, you clap like a seel and take credit online for the achievements of others. Well done, you're a real contribution to the institution of Manchester United Football Club.

He's a good manager who should (and most likely will) get the rest of the season to turn things around. If it doesn't work out, he'll go to Bayern or Dortmund or some other European club and will no doubt do well. Not doing well with Manchester United, particularly with how we've been ran and various other mitigating factors does not simply mean you're "bad".
Agreed. And we've tried all sorts of manager. The gormless one, the stubborn one, the proven one, the United way one and now the upcoming and talented one. None of them can be classified as a success. When it comes into players it's the same thing. We've tried from top class players, young players, players nearing their peak, aging proven players, etc. and the club is still nowhere it should be. Which means it has to be something else. The problems stem from the lack of general direction at the club. The club was just sort of throwing bucket of paints at a giant wall hoping the paint will cover the entire surface automatically. Now what INEOS is trying to do is to replace the idiots that kept throwing those buckets.

Infra-red

My only concern is him being implicated
Individual members of staff are unlikely to be directly implicated. The club as a whole will be either be exonerated or punished. We will never know who did what or when, but most of the media's criticism if City are punished will likely be directed at the public face of the club - Guardiola (and, to a lesser extent, Soriano/Begiristain/Khaldoon Al Mubarak).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm not really worried about the FFP charges impacting him - it's unlikely individuals are implicated and I assume there will be clauses in his contract that cover that unlikely eventuality anyway

Even better would be if he can turn into whistleblower though

OverratedOpinion

1. You only get rid when there is better alternatives, - you get rid when results are not improving. Or it becomes untenable to be with. How comes we can bin Ronaldo mid season for bad behavior without alternatives but for a coach we need alternatives before deciding otherwise.

2. ETH hasn't become bad manager over night - - - Question should be When did ETH become a good coach? When? In Holland? Even De Boer won the league there. One champions league semi final run then eliminations in R16 is what makes one a good coach. Even Ralf Rangnick was Schalke O4 coach when they reached Semi in 2011. Even Spurs reached CL final.

Pep has had 9 ( NINE) champions league appearances. Klopp has 4 (FOUR) Final appearances.

3. Given time, a better structure he will do better - another very weird take I have seen it on this forum.

If ETH had total control, who to sign, how to play, who to bin off, how to train etc and he was unable to imprint his method to the team he had total control over what makes you think he will do better when all or some of those powers he had are taken away from him.

In that, you had power to do what you wanted to achieve success you're unable, but now you will achieve success when the powers you had will be taken away from you.

Then how comes, United is the only team with 'bad structure'. You mean Manchester United is the only team which complains of bad structure in the whole world.

Manchester United has incompetent employees not bad structures. From management to manager to players competent employees at Man United are few.

In my own assessment ETH is like Antony. A player he signed. Looked very good from Netherlands but EPL is a step steep ahead of him. Nothing to do with excuses, but or if's. It's just Antony is not cut for EPL.

Same ETH is not cut for EPL. Nothing to do with ETH as a human being it's just the League competition demands and quality is abit to much for him.
ETH is in the bracket of Poch, Arteta as a coach. Who will never beat Pep or Klopp consistently and who by 95% chance will never win a league title as long as Pep or Klopp are around.

Sad but true.
I'm open to hiring a new coach but it is extremely ironic that you mentioned "weird takes" then proceeded to post this.

1. Yes it would only be logical to change your manager if you believed a replacement would perform better in that role. The comparison with Ronaldo is weird, one is a player and one is the manager. The differences that answer your question are plainly obvious.

2. Whether Ten Hag is a good manager or not and whether he has proved it or not is probably subjective but your argument strongly seems to boil down to the fact that Klopp, Pep and Sir Alex Ferguson are all better than him.

Yes they are, I'm sure if one of them was available and wanted to come to us (and 30 years younger in Sir Alex's case) we would sack Ten Hag quicker than a hiccup. As would nearly any club in the world sack their manager for one of them.

OverratedOpinion

Seems our new CEO fancies De Zerbi as the manager.
Only thing I've heard about that has been a couple of journalists mentioning that De Zerbi is well liked at City and pondering whether Berrada will look at him.

Less concrete than a bouncy castle right now.

croadyman

I think he made an appearance at the end of the Guardiola documentary last night

Herman Toothrot

Nickelodeon

THis is more ridiculous fantasy stuff. He came to United as a promising manager, from a small league where he managed the giants. Last year was OK but there were some terrible performances and losses. His signings from the outset were awful and have got worse. This year is the real test and he is utterly lost. To suggest he goes to Bayern or Dortmund after United is laughable. Also, why 'should' he get the rest of the season? If the INEOS deal had gone through earlier I am pretty sure he would be gone by now. He has shown nothing this season to suggest a top level manager, he consistently deliver the worst football I have seen in 40 years of watching United. How low standards have fallen at this club
I agree with the post you have responded to.. The question is if Ten Hag is a poor manager, or just having a poor season. Players are afforded this situation, if we believe that the manager can turn it around, we should do the same with him. I agree with the signings part, but that wasn't a job he was doing at Ajax, why did we allow him to pick and choose the players that too at insane valuations?! It definitely casts a question mark over Ten Hag, but I believe that he should be allowed time till the end of the season and if there's no marked improvement, then he goes. Under a stable structure and different club culture, he may ultimately end up succeeding as he has done previously.

crossy1686

career ending

These decisions are only successful in hindsight, doesn’t make sense to be patting ourselves on the back before he’s even started working for us. Same thing for Ronaldo, no one was saying it was an elite move when a spotty 18 year old one trick pony first arrived.

Orange Tree

Dude must know a lot of people in the media if so many are praising this appointment.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
These decisions are only successful in hindsight, doesn’t make sense to be patting ourselves on the back before he’s even started working for us. Same thing for Ronaldo, no one was saying it was an elite move when a spotty 18 year old one trick pony first arrived.
Yeah hope he is not the Wan Bissaka of CEOs.

cyberman

Not one United figure or fan is quoted in those tweets?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Dude must know a lot of people in the media if so many are praising this appointment.
Happy that we have done something 'discreetly' as they say instead of announcing it to the world months ahead. Also that we have gone for an elite appointment instead of promoting from inside an system that is so obviously faulty and just hoping it will work, the cheap method.

crossy1686

career ending
Not one United figure or fan is quoted in those tweets?
No, but people are talking like we're going to win the league now because we've appointed a new CEO. There's a lot still to do, it doesn't make sense to celebrate an 'elite' appointment before he's even started working.

Herman Toothrot

No, but people are talking like we're going to win the league now because we've appointed a new CEO. There's a lot still to do, it doesn't make sense to celebrate an 'elite' appointment before he's even started working.
Are these people in the room with us now?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No one’s talking like that at all.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Agreed, how many times have we talked about one player or manager turning us into title winners?

We've needed like for like replacements in terms of quality replacement we had for our squad at the end of the 2000s and that hasn't happened.

SirAF

Ageist
Agreed, but considering the absolute amateur hour that has ravaged the club for a decade this seems pretty promising. Still one hell of a long way to go though.

spiriticon

Surely the best CEO since CEOs were invented :drool:

He's so good that I reckon he's also better than Sancho on the right wing.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He better has immediate impact or all these media outlets will go after him after all the praise

Gordon S

He better has immediate impact or all these media outlets will go after him after all the praise
Not just the media! I`m predicting the inevitable ”What the hell does Omar Berrada do? thread will be started in July :drool:

Giggsy13

We dont play again until February so we will officially have -5 goal difference in the league. In February.

An absurd statistic for a club who's manager has spent £400m in 3 transfer windows on his own choices.
Take your complaining to the manager thread. This is a major pick up and a positive development.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Sad but true.
Agree with all of this. Regarding point 3, I think people are hoping we get such good people in other positions, and sign such good players, that they can take Ten Hag along for the ride. It won't happen. They also see it as another chance for Ten Hag to get another shot at it. I've never quite seen anything like it really, where a set of fans are so hellbent on seeing the manager succeed, even if it is proving detrimental to the club in the meantime. They'd happily sacrifice a potential 12-18 months of no progress just to see him have another chance. Ed Woodward wasn't wrong when he described Old Trafford as Disneyland, it's a managers dream come true being hired by us. Loads of money, blind support, huge backing in the transfer market....

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Well that's it then if he speaks that means baldy is probably behind it. How many times have we signed players "he wanted" only for them to be an absolute disaster? If baldy is bigging up Omar like this that can only mean one thing: the destruction of the club. I'd rather him not saying anything about it honestly. Wishing the best my arse.

Gordon S

He’s going to have a heart attack when he sees the contracts we’ve handed out to the dross.
Huge opportunity for a documentary series here, ” The tears of Omar” ! Follow poor Omars slow but steady descent into madness as he hears about his predecessors ideas on how to run a football club.

RuudTom83

Get the director of football sorted and the zoom calls will be busy in the background planning for summer.

sugar_kane

Well that's it then if he speaks that means baldy is probably behind it. How many times have we signed players "he wanted" only for them to be an absolute disaster? If baldy is bigging up Omar like this that can only mean one thing: the destruction of the club. I'd rather him not saying anything about it honestly. Wishing the best my arse.
Possibly joking but honestly it's crossed my mind. History has proven when we have 'beaten' City to someone they've gone on to either be awful, a massive waste of money or downright disastrous.
  • Sanchez
  • Ronaldo
  • Maguire
  • Fred
  • Pogba
I'm sure there are others