Onana back in the Cameroon squad | Will likely be gone for AFCON

Rough calculation but still you get the point .
I don’t.

2 important months is a big difference from the truth, that if we assume he makes the semis then he’ll miss what? at most 3 PL games & an FA Cup 3rd & 4th round match.

People always go OTT about AFCON, but the FA Cup starting in Jan ensures they usually miss just a couple of league games.

Last edited:

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
I don’t.

2 important months is a big difference than the truth, that if we assume he makes the semis then he’ll miss what, at most 3 PL games.
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations will be played in Côte d'Ivoire between January 13 and February 11, 2024 and if you include all the group qualification games before this, the rough calculation is 2 months.

If he decide to play in all the matches even the ones in the group stage period (which is almost over for this AFCON but there is always next one) , will be a big problem for us.

And he will miss more than 3 PL games in my opinion. Hopefully you're right that he'll only miss that much, but AFCON doesn't give me that much confidence.

I'm sure that our board and Ten Hag thought they were taking Onana without the African cup bonus.

Last edited:
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations will be played in Côte d'Ivoire between January 13 and February 11, 2024 and if you include all the group qualification games before this, the rough calculation is 2 months.

If he decide to play in all the matches even the ones in the group stage period (which is almost over for this AFCON but there is always next one) , will be a big problem for us.

And he will miss more than 3 PL games as you said.
Eh?

The final group qualifier is during the international break man :lol:

Then we have 3 PL games between 1st Jan & 9th Feb, and 2 early FA fixtures. Even he goes all the way to the final (very unlikely) he misses 4 games.

Not sure you have a clue what you’re talking about here, reckon he’ll miss 2 PL games and 1-2 FA cup matches that he wouldn’t even have played in.

jadaba

And he will miss more than 3 PL games as you said. Hopefully you're right that he'll only miss that much, but AFCON doesn't give me that much confidence.

I'm sure that our board and Ten Hag thought they were taking Onana without the African cup bonus.
Aren't AFCON qualifiers usually during international breaks and the summer break? If Onana is to miss 3-4 league games every other season, that's a pretty minor issue.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Eh?

Then we have 3 PL games between 1st Jan & 9th Feb, and 2 early FA fixtures. Even he goes all the way to the final (very unlikely) he misses 4 games.

Not sure you have a clue what you’re talking about here, reckon he’ll miss 2 PL games and 1-2 FA cup matches that he wouldn’t even have played in.

I'm just worried that he'll miss important games for us in which we will need him, that's all.

MegadrivePerson

If he goes to AFCON he will definitely miss,
Home game vs Spurs
Away game vs Wolves
If Cameroon get to the final he will miss,
Home game vs West Ham
Away game vs Villa

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

GW21 - Spurs
GW22 - Wolves
GW23 - West Ham
GW24 - Villa

RuudTom83

I'm sure the team will cope just fine...what's the point of having a no.2 if he never gets a game.

But add it to the pile of stuff we can moan about.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Damn it... When we sign African players we really need to consider the pros and afcons.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Eh?

Bloody hell RAB :eek: :lol: , that's one way to shut down the hysteria and hyperbole!

JediSith

2 months? :lol:

The entire competition lasts less than a month.
Tbf it does take players a while to get back into their normal form. Noticed it with Salah and Sane there’s usually a drop for a few matches after they return.

Also we should have seen it coming. Cameroon are not going to not select a player who plays for one of the biggest club brands in the world. It does them and the competition more good.

Then you have the footballing side of things. He was Inter’s best player Vs City, and not because he was making save after save but because he was the one creating all their chances.

gaffs

This was always going to happen.

It doesnt matter much anyway as our team isnt able to play in a way that utilize his strengths. Hopefully that changes by January.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
there's a perfectly good player performance thread for discussing Onana. *thread closed*
Yeh and that's why it's so hard to find topics, because it all gets lumped in there. This is clearly quite a different topic to his performances. I'd have probably only found out about this when he'd have gone missing in Jan for a few weeks had it not been it's own thread :lol:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Surely they would've (or at least should've) considered the very real possibility that he'd end up back in the squad eventually?

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
I don't like the unease I feel when Europeans are discussing African players heading home for AFCON and missing European games. Strangely, teams with very important African players have been winning the league consistently these past few years. Calm your tits and stop acting like African players are being sentenced to exile and will return unfit and unable to match the tempo of the European game. Its one month of international football and they will be playing football not shooting darts all through. Jeez!

jadaba

I don't like the unease I feel when Europeans are discussing African players heading home for AFCON and missing European games. Strangely, teams with very important African players have been winning the league consistently these past few years. Calm your tits and stop acting like African players are being sentenced to exile and will return unfit and unable to match the tempo of the European game. Its one month of international football and they will be playing football not shooting darts all through. Jeez!
Agreed. I'll obviously miss Onana when he's away for the month but I'm genuinely hoping Cameroon can perform as serious contenders for AFCON. We want winners at our club don't we? Our players winning international tournaments feeds that winning environment we want to see here.

Eriku

Tbf people largely shit on all internationals breaks on this forum, so no wonder some get a bit worked up with internationals running concurrently with our actual season.