Onana back in the Cameroon squad | Will likely be gone for AFCON

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeh and that's why it's so hard to find topics, because it all gets lumped in there. This is clearly quite a different topic to his performances. I'd have probably only found out about this when he'd have gone missing in Jan for a few weeks had it not been it's own thread :lol:
to be fair to me it's since been put in its own thread. it was originally in the 'onana signs for united' one

agree with you though

el3mel

People honestly make a meal out of this. I don't remember Liverpool season being ruined by Salah and Mane going to AFCON.

It's just few games. We'll manage.

colombianmancunian

I don't like the unease I feel when Europeans are discussing African players heading home for AFCON and missing European games.
I’m not European, and I am worried about not having our GK for up to four games.

Why is the Afcon played on those dates and not in June/July?

Rake

People honestly make a meal out of this. I don't remember Liverpool season being ruined by Salah and Mane going to AFCON.

It's just few games. We'll manage.
The issue here is that his replacement would have hardly played any games (if any at all)... Rotating keepers during games or on week in, week out is uncommon practice, unlike outfield players.

On a lighter note, all those jokes about losing him to AFCON :D

TheGame

Liverpool coped well without Salah and people on here wetting the bed over Onana missing a few games. Goodness me, it's what backup keepers are for and there is no guarantee Cameroon lasts the full tournament.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The World Cup at South Africa was played in summer.
You are talking about an entire continent. The climate in South Africa isn't representative of other regions. The majority of countries, the ones around the Equator basically have two seasons dry and rain, the raining seasons starts around summer and good luck scheduling Football games, the rains would delay games for days or weeks.

el3mel

The issue here is that his replacement would have hardly played any games (if any at all)... Rotating keepers during games or on week in, week out is uncommon practice, unlike outfield players.

On a lighter note, all those jokes about losing him to AFCON :D
That's not a big deal. The sub GK should be ready to step in at any moment because no one knows when an injury could happens. It's the GK coach's job and I think he'll have an idea about what's going to happen when Onana misses these few games and will prepare the sub for it. Beside, it's just usually only few games. We'll manage I'm sure.

Rake

That's not a big deal. The sub GK should be ready to step in at any moment because no one knows when an injury could happens. It's the GK coach's job and I think he'll have an idea about what's going to happen when Onana misses these few games and will prepare the sub for it. Beside, it's just usually only few games. We'll manage I'm sure.
Maybe I'm overthinking things, but, if we don't have issues when Onana is away/injured, that just means we are not utilizing him as we should. Doubt our second keeper will be anywhere close to Onana's level on the ball and that should be an integral part of our build-up play.

philippexyz

I thought he got into a fight at the World Cup with the manager of Cameroon national team because of his "wild and unconventional" goalkeeping style. I remember that just before they faced my country(Serbia) and he was expelled from the squad. I also thought that he permanently retired from the national team after that...

Surprised, disappointed by this.

el3mel

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but, if we don't have issues when Onana is away/injured, that just means we are not utilizing him as we should. Doubt our second keeper will be anywhere close to Onana's level on the ball and that should be an integral part of our build-up play.
He won't but as I said it's just for 2-3 games.

GBBQ

He won't but as I said it's just for 2-3 games.
Looking at the fixture list (spurs, West Ham, Villa, Wolves). They’ll be hard fought matches but nothing like Liverpool or City where you’d have to have a world class keeper on top form.
Not ideal but could be worse.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Losing our new keeper for 3 months of the season is hardly ideal

lex talionis

It’s not just “four games”, of course. There’s an FA Cup match and there’s at least two weeks of recovery. Bit of a problem to chop and change a keeper at that time of the season, when the wheat is cut from the chaff.

jadaba

It’s not just “four games”, of course. There’s an FA Cup match and there’s at least two weeks of recovery. Bit of a problem to chop and change a keeper at that time of the season, when the wheat is cut from the chaff.
If Mo Salah was able to return from the AFCON final on a Sunday and played four days later for Liverpool’s Thursday fixture, can I ask how you’re estimating this two week recovery period for a goalkeeper?