g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was apparent early on the biggest issues with him are his actual basic skills. At this point in his career, can he improve those technical issues, or not?
If anyone remembers his save against Ansu Fati, it was a good save but it was fundamentally wrong. It's no surprise he's getting exposed. He doesn't seem natural which is bizarre

Last edited:

Hughes35

I'm no fan of Onana but was he that bad yesterday? Didn't look much he could do about the goals?

Talk of bringing back De Gea is just mental. Lets move forwards, not back.

Next season needs to have a completely new look and feel.

Gavinb33

I'm no fan of Onana but was he that bad yesterday? Didn't look much he could do about the goals?

Talk of bringing back De Gea is just mental. Lets move forwards, not back.

Next season needs to have a completely new look and feel.
I mean Olise 2nd was in the middle of the goal, Mateta's whilst hit well was in his near post, Edouard would have scored near post again with the GK nowhere near

If you want to score past this clown his near post is always open

Dr. T

That second Olise goal last night was another example of his poor positioning/awareness. At first glance it looked like a really great finish, but then you see the replay behind Olise, the ball goes into nearly the middle of the goal, and Onana at full stretch is nowhere near it..?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
De Gea was physically and technically declining and regressing, please don't have short menories. It can be both true that Onana is bobbins and de Gea should have been moved on.

M Bison

Supports
York City
De Gea was physically and technically declining and regressing, please don't have short menories. It can be both true that Onana is bobbins and de Gea should have been moved on.
Both can of course be true but we'd be in a better place if we had DDG in net this season, it was a colossus cock up which has cost us a fortune, both in league position and transfer fees. I cant believe anyone still thinks it was the right decision to push DDG out of the club when we did.

Kostov

Was doing really well for a solid run of games but in the past couple of games the mistakes are back and pretty bad. De Gea was the same but with worse distribution, but obviously we were spending a lot of money hoping to get a top keeper. He's had several good shot stopper games but overall his shot stopping isnt that great and was too easily beaten against Palace.
I genuinely can't understand how some of you come up with this. Yes DDG did make mistakes but this bad? I've really never seen him this bad, in situation where week in week out I think that is a saveable goal, with Onana it seems the case much more often.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Said it in the matchday thread, but I’ll say it again. I think the first thing the new boss does is offer De Gea a 1 year contract.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I genuinely can't understand how some of you come up with this. Yes DDG did make mistakes but this bad? I've really never seen him this bad, in situation where week in week out I think that is a saveable goal, with Onana it seems the case much more often.
De Gea was regressing to this level of bad since 2018. He was pathetic in the fa cup final and at fault for all the goals. Not to mention all the pounts he dropped that cost us top 4 at least once or twice.

Rista

He's just not very good at all. Prone to mistakes, bizarre technique. Should have kept DDG for this season and invested the 50 million somewhere else. Onana will never ever be a dependable goalkeeper, another expensive mistake.

RoyH1

Said it in the matchday thread, but I’ll say it again. I think the first thing the new boss does is offer De Gea a 1 year contract.
I think we should move on to be honest. He was rapidly declining in form and I'd rather we remember him fondly than bring him in to be completely past his prime.

Scour Europe for a no nonsense veteran keeper. I'd make a cheeky bid for Ter Stegen considering Barcelonas liquidity issues.

Lee565

Amazing how many goalkeepers look just as competent as onana without costing 10 million let alone 40, this period of spending under ten hag has set us back massively.

City bloody back up keeper looks better than onana

flameinthesun

Just watching the highlights back again....get him out the club as soon as possible. His positioning is actually insane.

Ekeke

Then you didnt watch his last 4 seasons. Every weak shot towards him I had my heart in my mouth because he couldnt be trusted to make the simplest of saves on a regular basis. His consistancy and concentration were a 1/10

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think we should move on to be honest. He was rapidly declining in form and I'd rather we remember him fondly than bring him in to be completely past his prime.

Scour Europe for a no nonsense veteran keeper. I'd make a cheeky bid for Ter Stegen considering Barcelonas liquidity issues.
I was sick of De Gea as well by the end of last season, but Onana is even worse. A one year deal gives the new boss chance to push the issue down the road a bit, as I doubt he’s able to come straight in and fire Onana. Unless of course like you say there’s another decent keeper available. But there happens to be one twiddling his thumbs in Altringham!

Kostov

Then you didnt watch his last 4 seasons. Every weak shot towards him I had my heart in my mouth because he couldnt be trusted to make the simplest of saves on a regular basis. His consistancy and concentration were a 1/10
I haven't missed more that 5 games a season for the last 20 years, and if DDG made you have your heart in your mouth, not sure how you manage watching Onana.

Judas

Open to offers
If anyone remembers his save against Andy Fati, it was a good save but it was fundamentally wrong. It's no surprise he's getting exposed. He doesn't seem natural which is bizarre
Natural is the perfect word. He doesn't look comfortable as a keeper, the way he makes saves, foot work etc., almost plays like an outfield player who has had to go in goal because the actual goalie has been sent off.

Kostov

De Gea was regressing to this level of bad since 2018. He was pathetic in the fa cup final and at fault for all the goals. Not to mention all the pounts he dropped that cost us top 4 at least once or twice.
Yes yes, he cost us a game in which we couldn't create a chance, we all know that. Takes like this in which blind hatred and being unable to recognize being wrong deserve crap like watching Onana pretend to be a GK.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why do people always think the solution to a poor signing is to bring back the poor player they replaced?

Judas

Open to offers
Yes yes, he cost us a game in which we couldn't create a chance, we all know that. Takes like this in which blind hatred and being unable to recognize being wrong deserve crap like watching Onana pretend to be a GK.
How on earth is the post you quoted a take of blind hatred?

Jund

The worst part of the DDG vs Onana debate is that everyone is missing the point. It's not about "the shiniest of two turds". They are both bad. But one of them would have cost us only his wages for a year. The other one costs 50mln + his wages.

That's where Onana shines. Because of his price tag we weren't able to also buy Amrabat. So that's a bullet dodged.

Kostov

How on earth is the post you quoted a take of blind hatred?
How else can you describe that? Pathetic in the FA cup final in a game we were outplayed like some U18s team, conceded a wonder volley goal and a soft goal that Onana concedes regularly but is being constantly excused on here? Never mind the "cost us top 4".

Judas

Open to offers
How else can you describe that? Pathetic in the FA cup final in a game we were outplayed like some U18s team, conceded a wonder volley goal and a soft goal that Onana concedes regularly but is being constantly excused on here? Never mind the "cost us top 4".
You are literally posting in a thread full of people doing the exact opposite of excusing Onana's goalkeeping. This weird notion that De Gea was still playing at his peak and a absolute goalkeeping machine when we finally moved him on is so typically nonsensical.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
De Gea was practically chucking them in by the end. Onana continuing that trend doesn't mean bringing back De Gea is the answer.

Kostov

You are literally posting in a thread full of people doing the exact opposite of excusing Onana's goalkeeping. This weird notion that De Gea was still playing at his peak and a absolute goalkeeping machine when we finally moved him on is so typically nonsensical.
I haven't seen anyone talking about how DDG was still in his prime or ideal. People are just frustrated that while not being our biggest priority last summer, we managed to spend 50m on a new GK and downgrade to a worse GK. You obviously struggle to admit that, and that's where we disagree.

Nogbadthebad

de Gea won the golden glove in his last season with us, with this same defence in front of him.

Hughie77

I agree, DDG is not the answer. Modern game need a GK who is good with their feets. But feck me we spent 50M on Onana who worse than DDG. Onana is not very good with his feets and a joke in shot stopping. Overall I will still take DDG over him.
Got hammerd on here Start of season saying keep DDG ..Onana was not needed. Some guy threw this stat that stat about the both.. but I'm betting DDG would have saved a fair few more goal bound shots than Onana.. ie Bournmouth first goal ..DDG saves that all day long.. and Palace first goal saves that as well..

Judas

Open to offers
Got hammerd on here Start of season saying keep DDG ..Onana was not needed. Some guy threw this stat that stat about the both.. but I'm betting DDG would have saved a fair few more goal bound shots than Onana.. ie Bournmouth first goal ..DDG saves that all day long.. and Palace first goal saves that as well..
We'd probably have done better with De Gea this season, but was it worth signing him to another big deal spending big money on a keeper clearly on the decline, and whose style is far from ideal for a club attempting to move forward with its play.

Gavinb33

West Ham away, Chelsea in the semi final of the cup, City both goals in the final, Brentford away I'm sure I've missed more and Onana is shit as well, I don't hate either of these I just want someone better in the net at United

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
Let's bring back De Gea. The one who no club is interested in. I love how we are thinking of progressing forward by going backward to a keeper who is so damaged nobody is even willing to take a punt on, even if for the prestige of having a former Manchester United player and the former United keeper watch that goes with it. I'll have what you De Gea stans are smoking. I'll rather have a rubbish Onana struggling in his first year with a depleted defence in goal than a De Gea who helped us to a clean sheet last year but was still by general consensus one of the worst players in the team. I'll rather have a keeper who is struggling early on much like De Gea once was and continue to grow than another year of De Gea, as if the last 10 years hasn't said enough. Only a mad man repeats the same action and expects a different result. We aren't all mad. We face more shots per match than relegated Sheffield but Onana is the problem. We should be relegation property by now by that standards but we aren't. We are consistently set up to punish the keeper.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Yes, he was terrible.

He couldn't do because he is always too late to do anything about it. His anticipation is real bad. And he doesn't bother trying on some shots. Lot of those shots are saveable.

Kostov

West Ham away, Chelsea in the semi final of the cup, City both goals in the final, Brentford away I'm sure I've missed more and Onana is shit as well, I don't hate either of these I just want someone better in the net at United
We agree on that, I want a better GK than Onana too.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Unless Onana improve by 100% next season. He's as good as having a bad keeper who'll cost us points.

Teams are taking shots because they know it's high percentage. As bad as DDG was his shot stopping is always first class.

Money aside we wont be challenging top 4 with the current version of Onana.

And before people say better defensive line, his error is basic error he even dive before the ball being shot.