g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yes yes, he cost us a game in which we couldn't create a chance, we all know that. Takes like this in which blind hatred and being unable to recognize being wrong deserve crap like watching Onana pretend to be a GK.
I don't hate de Gea so cut the crap. Both are awful for us. De Gea only for four or five seasons of decline, Onana because he's bobbins.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's less about Pep making it trendy, and more about the rise of high pressing teams. Think how often players need to go back to the keeper, if they're only good for lumping the ball out then without a Fellaini like character to bypass the other team then you reduce your chances of getting on the ball.
Again I hark back to old teams here to make my point, Liverpool of the 80s dominated their matches and didn’t have a sweeper keeper to do so, nor a target man up front.

there’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. I think we over compensate on the ball playing. Personally, I’d rather have a keeper with good basics nailed down, shot stopping, arial prowess, command of their box

Kostov

I don't think it is an exaggeration, DDG was awful on the ball. If you believe that playing out from the back is overrated then fair enough, but there's no way we'd be able to do it with DDG.
You like hyperboles and that is on you. How do you describe Onana’s long range kicking i wonder?

You're wrong about what happened with DDG. He was originally offered another medium-long term contract on partially reduced wages that would still have made him the highest paid goalkeeper in the country.

Thankfully the club decided against yet another inflated contract for a player on the wane, which would have tied us to DDG for years (not like we could have offloaded him, given that he can't find a club on a free), and offered a short term contract more befitting a backup keeper, that DDG rejected.

Again, Onana doesn't look like the right replacement, but we did need a replacement.
I think ETH changed his mind at the end once again and it was handled amateurish by the club. And I’d rather have kept DDG on 150k a week for 2 more years than having Onana on 150k a week for 5 while also paying that stupid 50m fee.

RedRocket9908

I’d rather have kept DDG on 150k a week for 2 more years than having Onana on 150k a week for 5 while also paying that stupid 50m fee.
The fee was 45m which is a bargain in a market where Kepa was 75m.

Onana is a better all round keeper than De Gea who was extremely limited and was a complete liability during his last season or 2 currently is.

Kostov

Onana is a better all round keeper than De Gea who was extremely limited and was a complete liability during his last season or 2 currently is.
Yes i’ve read this joke somewhere else. Antony at 100m was a bargain too I guess? Mount was a steal at 55m also. :houllier:

frostbite

Onana was a bargain! That's new! :lol:

Perhaps Mount was also a bargain? Antony?

How much can we sell Onana for? 80 million? 100 million? Let's do it!

dinostar77

Playing out of the back is overrated. Vastly overrated. You clearly want to see your defenders be able to handle pressure but consistently trying to break pressures with short passing out of the back invites too much danger and easy chances for the opposition, with little gain in return. Onana's footwork is superior to Dave's but we don't have the back line or the midfielders to capitalize on the perceived benefits of having a keeper who can hit short passes quickly. Many timbers have fallen to make us easy prey for clubs like Palace, but one of them was the downgrade in the keeper, the current keeper being poor at shot-stopping, which under every paradigm of goalkeeping is a crucial attribute to be successful as a keeper.

As for Dave's contract situation, you left out a key fact -- United withdrew the offer it made to Dave once he accepted it. Even if we concede Dave was awful on the ball, that's no excuse for treating him awfully, like trash.
good post

RedRocket9908

Yes i’ve read this joke somewhere else. Antony at 100m was a bargain too I guess? Mount was a steal at 55m also. :houllier:
Its not a joke its fact.

Antony wasnt 100m he was 81m but that was still too much in honesty and Mason Mount is yet to show we we got for our money as his season has been destroyed by injury.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Not a chance is he a better all round keeper. Not that it matters as ddg is not here anymore but he was ten times the keeper than Onana could ever dream to be

Rojofiam

Comparing Onana’s fee to Antony’s fee just shows you don’t have a clue

jesperjaap

Again I hark back to old teams here to make my point, Liverpool of the 80s dominated their matches and didn’t have a sweeper keeper to do so, nor a target man up front.

there’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. I think we over compensate on the ball playing. Personally, I’d rather have a keeper with good basics nailed down, shot stopping, arial prowess, command of their box
Football is ofcourse a different game now....but I agree. Of course a keeper needs to be competent with there feet and DeGea WAS too weak in this area and hadenoughof a decline that it was right for us to look at replaements.

I remember making a few "areful what you wish for" type comments with people just obsessed with how weak he was with his feet and how naive I was and how he would transform us and others banging onabot Costa at Porto too.

Whether or not people think we have bought the wrong players, the fees we have paid were ridiculous. Onana has been ok the last 3months bar lastnight....but you can count on one hand the number of great saves he has made all season, most he should be making.His kicking is also average, its only his calmness with the ballstands out.

Vicario, Verburggen....sveral keepers as good if notbetter cost half the fee, that falls on Ten Hag for me, as does ANtony and Mount who he really wanted...Martinez will probably bethe only one he got right....and we overpaid for him too

RedRocket9908

Why on earth would we want to sell him and why are Antony and Mount being brought in to a conversation about goalkeepers?

Donut

The way we discarded our legend for Onana makes me sad, ETH is an absolute worst talent spotter in the world.

frostbite

Why on earth would we want to sell him and why are Antony and Mount being brought in to a conversation about goalkeepers?
The conversation is about bargains!

I want to know who else was a bargain! I could never imagine that Onana was a bargain, so perhaps we got other bargains that I never thought of! :lol:

frostbite

Oh yes, you had a question. If you buy something for a bargain price, you can sell him for a higher price. If 45 million is a bargain for Onana, then how much do you think we can sell him for? 80 million?

RedRocket9908

Not a chance is he a better all round keeper. Not that it matters as ddg is not here anymore but he was ten times the keeper than Onana could ever dream to be
Of course he is a better all round keeper than De Gea, De Gea was a good shot stopper when on form but was woeful at all other aspects of modern goalkeeping.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why do people always think the solution to a poor signing is to bring back the poor player they replaced?
Replacing Onana with De Gea and ten Hag with Ole. What can go wrong?

While we are there, considering our injuries in defense, I think it makes perfect sense to bring back Phil Jones?

frostbite

He really isnt, the fact he has more clean sheets than Allisson despite having o defence or midfield in front off him proves that as do some of his other stats.
So, you agree with ETH that he is the second best goalkeeper in the PL! Tell us, how much can we sell him for? We got a bargain, we can make an easy profit for once!

RedRocket9908

So, you agree with ETH that he is the second best goalkeeper in the PL! Tell us, how much can we sell him for? We got a bargain, we can make an easy profit for once!
Im not saying he is the 2nd best keeper in the league but he isnt shite either and im fed up of people on here blaming him for every goal we conceed when he is playing in a really poorly coached team with no defence or midfield and opposition that are free to shoot at his goal at will.

The fact that he has 8 clean sheets in the league despite all of the issues above is evidence that he is a decent keeper.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've gone too far down the keeper being 'good with his feet' route before we have an outfield team that is ready for it.

We can't play a high line because we don't have appropriate CBs
The midfield can't keep the ball. At all.
The forwards can't hold up the ball. At all.
Said this back in September. Nothings changed.

We should have just played Kovar or gone for Raya.

RedDevil@84

Im not saying he is the 2nd best keeper in the league but he isnt shite either and im fed up of people on here blaming him for every goal we conceed when he is playing in a really poorly coached team with no defence or midfield and opposition that are free to shoot at his goal at will.

The fact that he has 8 clean sheets in the league despite all of the issues above is evidence that he is a decent keeper.
Do you also believe that despite all the injuries in the team, we are still 8th is evidence that ETH is a pretty decent coach and a bargain

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

He’s obviously not terrible or he wouldn’t have made it this far in football but I’ve never seen a goalie so slow at moving their feet OR one who saves with his wrists instead of his palms/fingers.

The first thing means he doesn’t save shots that aren’t even in the corner or hit hard, the second means saves come back out into the danger zone.

Nowhere near good enough.

matsdf

I really don't think the reason we've outscored Luton by only 3 goals is down to this guy.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He really isnt, the fact he has more clean sheets than Allisson despite having o defence or midfield in front off him proves that as do some of his other stats.
He’s also let in 81 goals season to date. I mean if you’re going to mention clean sheets you should mention the flip side too

RedRocket9908

He’s also let in 81 goals season to date. I mean if you’re going to mention clean sheets you should mention the flip side too
Are you saying that all of those 81 goals were his fault and had nothing to do we the fact he has been playing with no defence and no midfield?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think he's a good keeper, he's facing the most shots in the EPL.

High line and possession based team he's dominating.

The Hilton

You like hyperboles and that is on you. How do you describe Onana’s long range kicking i wonder?

I think ETH changed his mind at the end once again and it was handled amateurish by the club. And I’d rather have kept DDG on 150k a week for 2 more years than having Onana on 150k a week for 5 while also paying that stupid 50m fee.
Onana's kicking is clearly much better than DDGs, it's his goalkeeping hasn't been good enough in his season here.

I agree that the DDG situation wasn't handled well by the club (the original contract offer should never have happened), but what you're suggesting was never an option. DDG's original offer was over £200k per week for a longer period, he refused a lower offer for a shorter period. You can prefer an imaginary scenario, but it was never an option. We either kept DDG around for at least a few years as the highest paid goalkeeper in the country, or we brought someone else in, those were the options available to us so to me it's fairly clear that the latter was the correct one. Whether the replacement was the right one is a separate debate (which isn't much of a debate at the moment, admittedly), but it was great to see us start moving on from overpaid long standing players.

USREDEVIL

Palms the ball away so much he ends up giving the ball back to the opposition. Leads to corners and more shots. Lets balls go underneath him which seems like bad keeping. Positioning seems not very elite. Decent shot stopper though. Get rid.