One player from England's past in this Squad

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
For Saturdays game? How do you get past 2 banks of 4 Swedish defender? You don't pass, you don't cross, you don't dribble. Joey Cole knows what to do...

norm87cro

Gazza for me. As a AFM linkig this fast and young team. And providing a dribling option unlike Scholes

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I was saying during the Colombia match that a prime Carrick would really suit this team. Doing the Henderson role, just better.

I know he never shone for England, but if we could somehow getting him playing like he did at his peak for us, he would really suit this England team. He would also add a level of composure that's missing.

We need a midfielder. There's only one answer to that. Bobby Charlton. Never mind the best English midfielder ever, hes arguably the best midfielder ever.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
For Saturdays game? How do you get past 2 banks of 4 Swedish defender? You don't pass, you don't cross, you don't dribble. Joey Cole knows what to do...

He could do better things on training than Messi could.

Skills

Snitch
He spent the last game in Midfield.

He's spent every other game behind Sterling.

We have no striker.

If this is our current team

Sterling
- - - -- Kane
Alli -- Lingard
Young ---- Henderson ---- Trippier
Maguaire -- Stones -- Walker
Pickford
This is our formation with Shearer

Shearer
- - - -- Kane
Alli/Sterling -- Lingard
Young ---- Henderson ---- Trippier
Maguaire -- Stones -- Walker
Pickford​
In that set up I'd go for Owen over Shearer.

Neo_Mufc

This team is dying for someone like Scholes who is calm on the ball and is willing to build play patiently.

pascell

It's the midfield that's lacking for me and the link to the striker. Big toss up between Bobby Charlton or Scholes.

But behind the striker is where we lack a world class player also, so I'd pick a prime Wayne Rooney, he'd be lethal.

NoPace

Scholes to give England some deeper in midfield passing and creativity makes sense.

Kinda feel like Lampard would find ways to score goals playing off Kane if he was playing instead of Alli, though. Also Ashley Cole over Young/Rose would really strengthen the side defensively, probably more than upgrading Maguire to a player like Rio or Terry.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Clearly not Scholes. He was a great player for us but not for England.

A Bobby Charlton, a Duncan Edwards, or Bryan Robson would elevate the team so much more.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Late 90s Scholes behind Kane instead of Sterling and we'd score more.

Peak Gascoigne would also be fine, and his drive to win would be a huge lift in tense situations like last night when Colombia drew level. He'd be like a second captain.

deafepl

If England plays like Pep's Barca's tiki-taka, having a young advanced midfielders Scholes, peak B2B Scholes and veteran DLP Scholes in 3 midfield step up, would dominate everyone and even it would make Brazil look like Stoke City.

Tarrou

Wouldn't be my first pick but was thinking yesterday how useful Carrick would be in this system given how shit Henderson is. Bobby Charlton would be my pick.

maniwin

Paul Scholes easily and don't put him on the wing. England lack control in the midfield , they need someone genius to do so.

meamth

Peak Rooney for obvious reasons. Sterling can go.

Peak Beckham for Trippier.

or Prime Carrick for Henderson.

AshRK

The are that needs improving the most is midfield. So I would choose carrick instead of Henderson. A peak carrick would work wonders in this squad.

POF

In all seriousness, David platt in the Alli role
Very good call, as is Robson. Both would be really well suited to this team.

I think peak John Barnes would be amazing in the Sterling role too.

debiler

Considering your squad's newly found proficiency at scoring penalties, my vote goes to Pete Shilton, just to give your opponents a fighting chance.

But seriously, I'd say Gazza for Sterling or skinhead Beckham for Henderson.

tomaldinho1

Can only be Scholes

Southgate wants to play a possession based game, there's only one English midfielder who fits the bill. Paul 'Sat Nav' Scholes.

Kevin_

Michael Owen bursting onto the scene 98’ WC. Replacing Raheem Smalling

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Proper, thumping centre half for me. Maybe Sol Campbell or (a fit) Ledley King. Midfield also fairly shite of course too, but a proper defender is lacking more I think.

The White Pele

Would love to see a peak, rampant Rooney in this side playing the position Sterling has been playing.

Bobby Charlton is the obvious choice though.

Bwuk

Scholes.

Lots of energy and movement in this England side but lacks someone who can dictate.