Only Sheffield United have scored fewer EPL goals than us

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hasn't anyone come in and said we need a whole team back to start outperforming the literal fodder of the league yet?

CallyRed

Looks like Sheffield Utd are getting in Brereton Diaz on loan from Villarreal so we should be bottom fairly soon

Tyrion

Yup. We need another striker.
Hjolund showed he can score in the CL. I think we just need actual wingers who can provide chances rather than Rashford and Antony aimlessly cutting inside and losing the ball constantly. Martial doesn't count as a striker though.

thisisnottaken1

Hjolund showed he can score in the CL. I think we just need actual wingers who can provide chances rather than Rashford and Antony aimlessly cutting inside and losing the ball constantly. Martial doesn't count as a striker though.
Exactly. The problem isn’t Højlund, it’s the piss poor service he receives. Our wingers are too selfish.

Jam

Looks like Sheffield Utd are getting in Brereton Diaz on loan from Villarreal so we should be bottom fairly soon
Hojlund has more premier league goals than Brereton Díaz has in all competitions.

Lentwood

Statistics like this really make it impossible to defend EtH.

It's incomprehensible that a team with our midfield and forward line should be posting similar numbers to Sheffield United, Luton and Burnley.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Honestly in my 50+years of supporting united I don't remember us been this piss poor at scoring. The cliche comparison would be Dave sexton. But really, it's really bad.

Forget about philosophy, phases of play, XG, etc. Means feck-all. You need to be able to score. Nothing else matters.

And based on that ETH is a fraud, flatters to deceive.

Grande

Honestly in my 50+years of supporting united I don't remember us been this piss poor at scoring. The cliche comparison would be Dave sexton. But really, it's really bad.

Forget about philosophy, phases of play, XG, etc. Means feck-all. You need to be able to score. Nothing else matters.

And based on that ETH is a fraud, flatters to deceive.
To hell with analysis. EtH doesn’t score enough goals. We need another striker!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
To hell with analysis. EtH doesn’t score enough goals. We need another striker!
I'm not sure if another striker will make a difference with the team's setup or how they are taught to play -- unless you are talking about a 4-4-2 formation.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We won’t catch Luton anytime soon as they’ve picked up some form but are safely ahead of both Sheffield and Burnley now, and on par with Everton (yet you don’t see people complain about Dyche and the lack of goals like they do about ETH). Palace are ahead of us now but within the reach with only 1 goal more.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
We won’t catch Luton anytime soon as they’ve picked up some form but are safely ahead of both Sheffield and Burnley now, and on par with Everton (yet you don’t see people complain about Dyche and the lack of goals like they do about ETH). Palace are ahead of us now but within the reach with only 1 goal more.
Nobody expects a Dyche team to score many goals.

Todd

17th in the table in goals scored. The fact that we've apparently not been in for any attacking players in the window is absolutely mental.

Nas-JR

17th in the table in goals scored. The fact that we've apparently not been in for any attacking players in the window is absolutely mental.
I think regarding CF, I agree, but in the grand scheme of things maybe rushing to bring in a body for the sake of it as we always do isn't the best idea, especially when it's just as likely one of the countless wingers /wide CFs we have will pick up form and contribute as much as any incomings. There's plenty of goals left in Bruno, mount, rashford, garnacho mcT and others.

We bring in someone now then we would almost certainly loan out amad and I personally would rather he gets the minutes.

Add to that that our schedule is much less hectic so playing hojlund every game is totally fine, and that we're still transitioning into the INEOS project, saving any transfers till then might be the more sound idea even if thsi year suffers.

I think it's essentially putting pressure on ten hag to get the best out of the players he got and figure out a formation to get goals. Worst case is he doesn't do that and he gets sacked in the summer.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s ridiculous, we aren’t even loaning anybody in. What the feck is going on.
There are a lot of players severely underperforming right now. If Rashford and Bruno start scoring as regularly as they did in earlier seasons and Hojlund and Garnacho start scoring on a reasonable rate, then everything is fine. Considering the CL exit there aren't that many matches going forward, there is also no real need for bodies to just fill the squad.

EtH has to work out a way to get his players more into scoring positions again, it wouldn't matter on the pitch if Hojlund isn't getting service or some guy just loaned in.

Smores

Has the manager done anything this season to resolve our issues in front of goal?

Our situation with a lack of service into the striker has been going on for a long time now and nothing seems to change game to game.

The only change implemented was temporarily getting McTominay into the box. If that's ETHs big idea to get us scoring more than he deserves the sack.

Telsim

Won't really make a difference. Personnel plays some part, but we just aren't set up to score. Ten Hag's entire plan is to take the ball back and quickly have someone like Bruno, Martinez, or Casemiro bypass the midfield and just lob the ball to the wings, then hope they do something. It's like a worse Oleball. Maybe you could get some more goals out of this if you have top class wingers with better decision making and a varied skillset, but it's just so basic most managers and players at the top level shut it down fairly easily. And the quality of our forwards doesn't make this it any harder for them either. It's more of an issue with tactics than squad, but both are responsible.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Won't really make a difference. Personnel plays some part, but we just aren't set up to score. Ten Hag's entire plan is to take the ball back and quickly have someone like Bruno, Martinez, or Casemiro bypass the midfield and just lob the ball to the wings, then hope they do something. It's like a worse Oleball. Maybe you could get some more goals out of this if you have top class wingers, but it's just so basic most managers and players at the top level shut it down easily. And the quality of our forwards doesn't make this it any harder for them.

How did Ajax under ETH play Madrid off the park considering he is apparently a one dimensional moron?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If someone told me Utd would score 18 goals from 18 games with a -5 goal difference….

Holy shit!!
....and the manager's job is completely safe!

ETH really is not EPL quality.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Calm down, c'mon, don't you know that once Martinez is back our attack will be transformed?
You jest, but I kid you not.
I read one poster on this forum who felt that swapping Onana for De Gea would mean that we'd score more goals.
Some fans are completely delusional!