Opposition Fans: Keane or Vieira?

Would you rather have peak Keane or peak Vieira in your team?

• Roy

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Paddy

Votes: 28 28.9%

• Total voters

OL29

More aesthetically pleasing yes. More complete and a better player? No.
Vieira had more to his game imo. He was a better ball carrier, had better technique, more intelligent, a better passer. Keane had more stamina but I struggle to think of what he did better than Vieira apart from maybe leadership qualities (on the pitch only).

ROFLUTION

Vieira had more to his game imo. He was a better ball carrier, had better technique, more intelligent, a better passer. Keane had more stamina but I struggle to think of what he did better than Vieira apart from maybe leadership qualities (on the pitch only).
I'm not so sure Vieira was a better passer. Keane had some great and clever passes really, which made the team tick just as much as Vieira's passes made Arsenal tick. Downgrading Keane to someone who only had "leadership qualities" is way over the top. He was very complete and he was present all the time.

OL29

I'm not so sure Vieira was a better passer. Keane had some great and clever passes really, which made the team tick just as much as Vieira's passes made Arsenal tick. Downgrading Keane to someone who only had "leadership qualities" is way over the top. He was very complete and he was present all the time.
I didn’t say that?

OL29

Maybe not directly, no. But it was the only quality you attributed him with.
I said that it’s the only attribute I think he has over Vieira, not that it’s his only attribute. That’s not to say he didn’t excel in other things too; he was a very good passer for instance. Just not better than Vieira in that category.

Jev

I said that it’s the only attribute I think he has over Vieira, not that it’s his only attribute. That’s not to say he didn’t excel in other things too; he was a very good passer for instance. Just not better than Vieira in that category.
I’d argue he was a better passer, just not significantly better than Vieira. Whereas Vieira for instance was a significantly better dribbler.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why not both.

Keane + Vieira would strongest tag team champion ever.

OL29

I’d argue he was a better passer, just not significantly better than Vieira. Whereas Vieira for instance was a significantly better dribbler.
I think that’s a fair argument, from memory Vieira seemed to be a more creative passer where as Keane was possibly a more consistent passer, better at controlling the tempo.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of them bullied Phil Neville, the other was bullied by Phil Neville.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why not both.

Keane + Vieira would strongest tag team champion ever.
That's the answer for me. Interestingly both players have this strange mix of very good technique and finesse while also being able to make Nigel De Jong look like an angel.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Keane is better in every conceivable way. That's not a slight on Vieira, it's just Keane is a once in a lifetime type of player and leader.

Conor

they were both journeymen. i’d say the main difference is that keane he scored goals wherever he went, whereas vieri blew hot and cold. i also enjoyed keane’s cartwheel celebration, for that reason, i’d have to say keane.
On a purely musical level, Keane had more talent at the end of the day, but looking back, there was no question that Ciara had the biggest song with My Goodies.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
In my experience, people who have no soft spot for either arsenal or united tend to say vieira was better.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I'd be really interested in the Garth Crooks analysis on this subject.

KeanoMagicHat

Off topic- can you imagine them playing alongside each other?
For me that would be the perfect PL midfield, although I love Scholes and there have been many other great players, a Keane-Vieira midfield 2 would be unbeatable.

SAFMUTD

Most fans would say Vieira due to the fact that he was with a generation of France that won the euro and world cup while Keane was with Ireland.

It's hard to decide, but trying to be impartial I'd say Vieira was the better player.

Davie Moyes

Most neutrals will probably pick Vieira - more aesthetically pleasing player on the eye etc.

Keane's leadership qualities elevates him to a higher level I feel because his leadership was on a different level from even most leaders. This guy was another Fergie on the pitch, his influence was amazing in terms of standards, expectations and raising the team's performance levels.

Even in Utd's great 90s/00s teams when Keane was not in the starting line-up I used to dread match day.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The only time Vieira really got the better of Keane was for a couple of years after Keane started declining. Before that, and then once again after Vieira himself started declining a couple of years later, Keane came out on top the significant majority of times.

Keane was comfortably better defensively than Vieira. A lot of people seem to forget that Vieira pretty much always played with a more defensive midfielder next to him, and when he was asked to play that role himself he never looked as good. Whereas Keane comfortably played both roles throughout his career, to the extent that he spent years running the midfield next to a very attacking Scholes next to him. Vieira simply could not have handled that to the same level.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I preferred watching Vieira and he always dominated us and physically bullied us.

I’d take Keane though, and I don’t like that people talk about him as he was some kind of up market Lee Cattermole.

Sgreddevil

Off topic- can you imagine them playing alongside each other?
That will be the fierciest, hardest and most brutal CM in the world. I bet all teams will pissed in their pants even before the game starts

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
One won the treble and the other gave Giggsy the ball and Arsenal won feck all.

welshwingwizard

Obviously I'm not neutral but Keane has been reduced over the years to the hardman in the team and all his fantastic passing, game management, goal scoring and all round play is pretty much overlooked. For me he was better, ridiculously good player. A better leader too.
This. The Keane people saw at the end wasn't the Keane who made the legend. Exceptional in everything.

Irwin99

My favourite rivalry :drool: . I wish i could see Vieira's opta stats for his Arsenal seasons (besides goals and assists) as I have Keane's which are absolutely immense for some of his seasons here: 2001-02 and 2004-05 in particular.

For all of Vieira's fantastic strengths it's worth noting he got just as many (maybe even more) career reds than Keane, also i'd argue he could be clumsier in possession: he gave the ball away for three United goals between 1997 and 1999 in games we went on to win. I struggle to remember a Vieira masterclass in the champions league knockouts either, i don't believe he ever even got past the quarter finals in his career.

It absolutely amazes me how even some United fans on here don't recognize how absolutely vital Keane was in our build up play. He had more touches and passes than anyone in our team, so much of what we created went through him. People rave about Carrick who was obviously a great player for us but barely did anything that Keane couldn't do to an equal or better level.

Irwin99

This. The Keane people saw at the end wasn't the Keane who made the legend. Exceptional in everything.
His last full season was really good on an individual level as we played an extra midfielder, Fletcher, to help him out with his mobility. He was very dominant in the middle of the park, especially in games at Anfield and Highbury.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is this the new Messi vs Ronaldo thread?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Who had the best cm/fm stats in their prime years?

Irwin99

Very very debatable. Keane's passing between the lines was fantastic, so was Vieira's but there's not much in it. Also Vieira had quite a few brain farts/really stupid moments against us, in three separate games he cheaply gave the ball away for United goals (weirdly enough each game we won 2-1)

Vieria was a better ball carrier though and had a real elegance in his technique.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Who would I rather build a team around? Keane by a country mile. Leadership, will to win, could play anywhere, rarely wasted a pass. Plus I’ve never seen Phil Neville bully Keane

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think Keane was the better passer in the final third. didn't turn as well as Vieira to start things from deep.

Positional intelligence is not what I'd consider a high mark for Keane. I remember times where fans were missing Butt's positional discipline in the 'deeper' role.

Also, Vieira spent plenty of time in the deep role himself. Who besides Petit really played deeper than him in midfield with him? Not Edu or Fabregas.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Vieira had more finesse and was probably more talented but if I want to win I would take Keane. He was united’s version of Souness.

OL29

I think Keane was the better passer in the final third. didn't turn as well as Vieira to start things from deep.

Positional intelligence is not what I'd consider a high mark for Keane. I remember times where fans were missing Butt's positional discipline in the 'deeper' role.

Also, Vieira spent plenty of time in the deep role himself. Who besides Petit really played deeper than him in midfield with him? Not Edu or Fabregas.
Gilberto Silva

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
It has be Keane (obviously), but the buccaneering box to box version at Forest, not the No6 thug he turned into.