Option/replacement for Casemiro

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree, we would need to upgrade our CBs, but also looking at Caicedo and Lavia, they're not exactly giants either. I think you're right we are missing that profile, but see that more as what Amrabaat and McTominay should be.

I think Neves covers a hell of a lot of ground and space defensively, just doesn't have the height you are potentially looking for - which I also agree with. I think he's a talent we'd be mad to miss out on.
I think with Martinez at CB, having some height in midfield will be beneficial to us.

I do agree about Neves looking talented but I think we might be better served if we target a younger player with a similar profile from another club. Benfica in recent years have been tough negotiators and will expect a totally unreasonable price if their recent sales are anything to go by.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think with Martinez at CB, having some height in midfield will be beneficial to us.

I do agree about Neves looking talented but I think we might be better served if we target a younger player with a similar profile from another club. Benfica in recent years have been tough negotiators and will expect a totally unreasonable price if their recent sales are anything to go by.
For sure, I see that. With his injuries and links to Braithwaite, are we sure he's the long term CB anyway?

Agreed, I'm not in the camp of pay whatever they want for him. If the price is prohibitive, I am not adverse to that stance in the slightest. I'd welcome it.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I haven't seen much of Onana but what I have seen of him is that he uses his size sensibly. Not making a lazy comparison to Pogba as clearly both different players, but Pogba in my eyes failed to take advantage of his physicality at times and tried to be too technical in extremely risky areas. Onana seems to know when to just hold off a marker/presser, and just move on the ball while stiff-arming the neighbouring marker. Seems to be good at travelling with the ball too.

Admittedly I have no opinion on his passing quality - but it would be great to have a physical beast next to Mainoo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For sure, I see that. With his injuries and links to Braithwaite, are we sure he's the long term CB anyway?

Agreed, I'm not in the camp of pay whatever they want for him. If the price is prohibitive, I am not adverse to that stance in the slightest. I'd welcome it.
It'll depend on Martinez and his fitness but I do think we'll sign another LCB and that might be Branthwaite. But I think a profile like Onana is something we lack and his height is just a bonus on top of his other attributes.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Joao Neves would be my favorite. He will be very expensive and is very young (born sep 2007), but for the first time this season i have been following the Portuguese league because there is so many players there that are reported as huge talents. I have been following Benfica for Neves and Silva and Sporting for Viktor Gyökeres.

Viktor Gyökeres who is absolutely killing it, has scored 28G and 11A in 31 games total after joining Sporting Lissabon last summer from Coventry in a deal worth only £18.5m (yes, I know it is much for a Championship team) but he scored 21 goals in in 46 games and also had 10 assists. He is mainly a striker but has played on both wings, and kept scoring and providing assists no matter league or club he played for.

LW = 36 matches - 15G+5A
RW = 19 matches - 8G+4A
ST = 196 matches - 98G+38A

So where ever he is playing, he is delivering both goals and assists which is very rear. He is very fast, can score with both feet, good in the air, great box movement, hard working, good first touch and has a very effective technique. Kind of a late bloomer but is still only 25 years old, born 1998, so 26 later this year so he is entering his prime years and have probably another 6-7 years in him at highest level because he is not that depended on his pace and if you play him as a striker he barely uses his speed in a way that would make it impossible for him to score when he gets older and slower. '

Has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave the club for 100m or 110m euros this summer already and its rumors about both Chelsea and Arsenal following him closely (United also but Chelsea seems like they are in the front seat and are willing to pay the 110m).

Joao Neves is such a talent that I am not even capable to explain here how good he is. I would just put it in this way that I would trust him already now as a teenager to replace Casemiro now this summer - the ideal would be if Neves and Mainoo would get one season together with Casemiro just to pick up some small details that i am sure could help them both to take their game to one higher level - and we could have a duo for the next 15 years in the best of worlds that reminds me of a modern version of Keane - Scholes. To be honest, I dont know how to describe this boy, as I dont know how to explain for my mates that dont follow United why we rank Mainoo so high! Watch a Benfica game if you can, there is site that sends ALL matches with good quality and mainly English commentators for those who dont have the channels - Quick question, how much do you pay in the UK for the sport channels, the ones that send football like PL, Seria A, La Liga etc etc? - and you will understand pretty fast what I mean when i say that he is a talent that you dont see often. He is best when he plays as a CDM next to a CM that can carry the ball, find passnings combos between them and help him control and dictate the tempo - the more I think about it, the more I feel that him and Mainoo would be the perfect combo together with a more playmaking CM, a number 8, which would be Bruno in this case.
This is my dream signing this summer, we can easy get 60m euros for Casemiro this summer - and probably 30-40m if we keep him for another year - if we sell him to the Saudis.

I would keep Casemiro for another year just to have him around them and they (Neves & Mainoo) would benefit a lot just be on the training ground every day and play with him as well, we can also let Bruno rest some games and move up Mainoo to his position and Neves and Casemiro behind.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Joao Neves would be my favorite. He will be very expensive and is very young (born sep 2007), but for the first time this season i have been following the Portuguese league because there is so many players there that are reported as huge talents. I have been following Benfica for Neves and Silva and Sporting for Viktor Gyökeres.

Viktor Gyökeres who is absolutely killing it, has scored 28G and 11A in 31 games total after joining Sporting Lissabon last summer from Coventry in a deal worth only £18.5m (yes, I know it is much for a Championship team) but he scored 21 goals in in 46 games and also had 10 assists. He is mainly a striker but has played on both wings, and kept scoring and providing assists no matter league or club he played for.

LW = 36 matches - 15G+5A
RW = 19 matches - 8G+4A
ST = 196 matches - 98G+38A

So where ever he is playing, he is delivering both goals and assists which is very rear. He is very fast, can score with both feet, good in the air, great box movement, hard working, good first touch and has a very effective technique. Kind of a late bloomer but is still only 25 years old, born 1998, so 26 later this year so he is entering his prime years and have probably another 6-7 years in him at highest level because he is not that depended on his pace and if you play him as a striker he barely uses his speed in a way that would make it impossible for him to score when he gets older and slower. '

Has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave the club for 100m or 110m euros this summer already and its rumors about both Chelsea and Arsenal following him closely (United also but Chelsea seems like they are in the front seat and are willing to pay the 110m).

Joao Neves is such a talent that I am not even capable to explain here how good he is. I would just put it in this way that I would trust him already now as a teenager to replace Casemiro now this summer - the ideal would be if Neves and Mainoo would get one season together with Casemiro just to pick up some small details that i am sure could help them both to take their game to one higher level - and we could have a duo for the next 15 years in the best of worlds that reminds me of a modern version of Keane - Scholes. To be honest, I dont know how to describe this boy, as I dont know how to explain for my mates that dont follow United why we rank Mainoo so high! Watch a Benfica game if you can, there is site that sends ALL matches with good quality and mainly English commentators for those who dont have the channels - Quick question, how much do you pay in the UK for the sport channels, the ones that send football like PL, Seria A, La Liga etc etc? - and you will understand pretty fast what I mean when i say that he is a talent that you dont see often. He is best when he plays as a CDM next to a CM that can carry the ball, find passnings combos between them and help him control and dictate the tempo - the more I think about it, the more I feel that him and Mainoo would be the perfect combo together with a more playmaking CM, a number 8, which would be Bruno in this case.
This is my dream signing this summer, we can easy get 60m euros for Casemiro this summer - and probably 30-40m if we keep him for another year - if we sell him to the Saudis.

I would keep Casemiro for another year just to have him around them and they (Neves & Mainoo) would benefit a lot just be on the training ground every day and play with him as well, we can also let Bruno rest some games and move up Mainoo to his position and Neves and Casemiro behind.
Thanks for posting this, I don't watch him super regularly, but you're reiterating what I see in him too. His tenacity is what really sets him apart for me, alongside the obvious quality he has.

parmenio

Neves and Silva will not both be sold this summer its one or the other their Chairman has publicly said this. Most likely Silva this summer Neves still very young too Though Silva only a year older Crazy how they are both so good at such a young age. Both players love Benfica and will not upset the club / fans. Either will also be very expensive esp Neves.

pascell

Ederson from Atalanta looks an interesting player, he'd be my pick, or Onana from Everton.

We'll likely end up paying £100m+ for Neves from Benfica instead.

Primex

Considering FFP
I think thuram,rabiot and either onana/kimmich for the midfield position.
Then we go for neves next season

CasaStreets

Considering FFP
Everton are already out of the drop zone, even accounting for the 10pt deduction. Given their points per game, we should expect they will comfortably stay up (probably 14-15th). If that's the case, can't see Onana going for less than 80 million (given Caicedo at 115 million last summer) so don't think he's a good FFP option.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wouldn’t say Neves at all, I’ve been following him this season and he’s never disappointed me. If we were to go that route, then I’d also want someone more physical brought in too, which would require a big midfield sale I imagine. Or we get Adrien Rabbit for free.

De Jong is my favourite midfielder in the game, and my default position ever since I first saw him at 21 was that he will always be my first choice if available. If not, then Neves would be great. That said, I do think Dan Gore could possibly do a similar job if given a chance, although he looks weaker than Neves.

Wrecking ralf

Do we know what’s happening with Dan Gore at Port Vale? Not being included in squads. Was hoping to see a bit of where his level is at with this loan to judge if he’s a viable replacement. Think he played a bit in one game and hasn’t been selected since.

E-mal

Ederson from Atalanta looks an interesting player, he'd be my pick, or Onana from Everton.

We'll likely end up paying £100m+ for Neves from Benfica instead.
I dont know the Ederson fellow but Onana is just not good enough technically. We are already struggling with keeping the ball. How you guys cant see the problem with our team is beyond me

Andersons Dietician

Considering FFP
I’m under the impression ffp won’t be an issue this window. There is some sort of rule with new investment you’re allowed to spend a higher percentage than usual. Also if we sell 1 of McT, Greenwood, Rashford that’s pure profit.

Sure I read this on here somewhere but there are people on here that will know more than I about it. Think however we will still be trying to clear the ridiculously high wages so that we are more sustainable and FFP is not an issue again.

foolsgold

Considering FFP
I agree. Our FFP / PRS situation is very perilous, after a few dreadful transfer windows. If we don't make CL then we can probably only spend what we raise in sales. Neves is likely wildly out of our price range.

It wouldn't surprise me if we signed some kid we've never heard of from South America for 10m.

Primex

Everton are already out of the drop zone, even accounting for the 10pt deduction. Given their points per game, we should expect they will comfortably stay up (probably 14-15th). If that's the case, can't see Onana going for less than 80 million (given Caicedo at 115 million last summer) so don't think he's a good FFP option.
Reason why I added kimmich if the onana deal isn't reasonable (I still think he isn't good enough),then we go full throttle on kimmich a superior talent or even de jong uf available, remember we have to manage our budget for other positions too.

Primex

I’m under the impression ffp won’t be an issue this window. There is some sort of rule with new investment you’re allowed to spend a higher percentage than usual. Also if we sell 1 of McT, Greenwood, Rashford that’s pure profit.

Sure I read this on here somewhere but there are people on here that will know more than I about it. Think however we will still be trying to clear the ridiculously high wages so that we are more sustainable and FFP is not an issue again.
Not just FFP,I also think it's high time we start making smart signings and making positive net spends,best options for the least available prices,we made some dumb signings last season. We could have gotten højlund for cheaper,but am fine with it,but I don't understand why we spent that much mount, it makes no sense in any aspect, he's on the last year of his contract,he isn't world class, he's not a priority position.
I just hope the new regime would change things.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I see this a lot about academy players. Isn’t ANY player whose transfer fee has already been amortised now ‘pure profit’? If we got 10m for Martial in Jan would it not be pure profit given we bought his 14 years ago?

foolsgold

I see this a lot about academy players. Isn’t ANY player whose transfer fee has already been amortised now ‘pure profit’? If we got 10m for Martial in Jan would it not be pure profit given we bought his 14 years ago?
Correct on the FFP, although we bought him 9 years ago, not 14.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
How good is this neves kid really?
Haven't watched Benfica at all this season.

Arka_BleedingRed

I think we need a physically dominant guy out there alongside Mainoo, a midfield duo of Mainoo & Palacios/Joao Neves/De Jong would be too light weight for my taste. Amadou is a good option, but a tad technically inconsistent at times. I still think Franck Kessie is still a beast, as evidenced by his form in the AFCON. Alternatives for him would be Khepram Thuram & even Ugarte, if we can get him from PSG.

And then the dream of replacing Bruno with Wirtz, with finally a midfield trio of Wirtz, Mainoo & Kessie/Thuram/Ugarte.

Tarrou

I'd rather keep Casemiro and still bring in a replacement to compete for a starting spot.

But if someone wants to give us a huge amount from Saudi or whatever it's a different equation

didz

Do we know what’s happening with Dan Gore at Port Vale? Not being included in squads. Was hoping to see a bit of where his level is at with this loan to judge if he’s a viable replacement. Think he played a bit in one game and hasn’t been selected since.
They sacked their manager a week after the transfer window shut and are fighting for their lives in league one. It's Darren Moore there now, who seemed to only pick experienced players when he was at Sheffield Wednesday, although in fairness they had a pretty old squad.

SungSam7

We bought Martial 14 years ago? Am I miss reading it somewhere?

RedIan

I actually believe casamiro is still as good as you can get. He has had a very long absence and needs to get fully back up to match fitness. I think there's at least another season in him. His main issue is the number of fouls and yellow cards. Hes always one tackle away from a red and a ban.
Be careful what you wish for as he has big boots to fill.
Ive just read an article of how Radcliffe cant spend big this summer due to FFP restrictions. We need to sell big before we can buy big. If we fail to qualify for champions league which is a distinct possibility then spending restrictions will be even tighter.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Casemiro is on 300k a week. If he stays we can't justify not playing him regularly with those wages. And with those wages, barring a Saudi club, I don't see which team would be willing to sign him.

So there is no chance of us buying a DM for big money. At best we can hope for a bargain buy but as we've seen, players are usually available for bargain prices for a reason- they aren't good enough!

gajender

I actually believe casamiro is still as good as you can get. He has had a very long absence and needs to get fully back up to match fitness. I think there's at least another season in him. His main issue is the number of fouls and yellow cards. Hes always one tackle away from a red and a ban.
Be careful what you wish for as he has big boots to fill.
Ive just read an article of how Radcliffe cant spend big this summer due to FFP restrictions. We need to sell big before we can buy big. If we fail to qualify for champions league which is a distinct possibility then spending restrictions will be even tighter.
I keep on seeing this in regards to some of our players and wonder what exactly have they achieved here to gain such reputations we fecking got dumped out of Champions league at group stage yet again and have been nothing more than top 4 challenging team which has been more or less the case since Sir Alex retired , So what exactly these would be hard to replace and careful what you wish for giants bringing to the table .

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Surprised there’s been no mention of Andre, I know there were rumours of a premier league move that never happened but the fee wasn’t too high from what I remember. Would allow more freedom for Mainoo too which I think I’m in favour of.

Onana from Everton is also a good shout but might be too pricey?

Foolsgold21

According to reports is open to a Saudi move - can see this happening.

As good as they were at their peak - we need to move on Varane and Casemiro this summer, saving £600k a week in the process.

BuzzKillington

I’m aware he’s getting on, but in the unlikely event we could get him for less than £50m I’d take Palhinha for 3 or 4 seasons.

You don’t want too many kids in the team if you want to start winning quickly, which I’d quite like at this point. I’m sick of us fans constantly looking to build a team for the future, whilst the upper management build a team for 3 years ago. A nice in the middle option would be preferable.

gajender

I’m aware he’s getting on, but in the unlikely event we could get him for less than £50m I’d take Palhinha for 3 or 4 seasons.

You don’t want too many kids in the team if you want to start winning quickly, which I’d quite like at this point. I’m sick of us fans constantly looking to build a team for the future, whilst the upper management build a team for 3 years ago. A nice in the middle option would be preferable.
He is not even close to good enough to move the needle in terms of winning anything and other point is we did exactly what you want to do but for far better player in form of Casemiro but here we are .

Cela shomana

How good is this neves kid really?
Haven't watched Benfica at all this season.
I only watched his Youtube highlights and observed he goes down a lot in physical battles. that worries me considering the physicallity of the premier league compared to the Portugese league. on the positive side, he has aggression and speed to cover a lot of ground, he is also good in tigh spaces and press resistence. qualities we lack in our mildfield.

Cela shomana

Mancherster United should master to sell players at the right time. when they still have a value. one thing Real Madrid is good at. This is the perfect time to shit him. i believe we can get a better deal for him in Saudi.

United888

I dont know the Ederson fellow but Onana is just not good enough technically. We are already struggling with keeping the ball. How you guys cant see the problem with our team is beyond me
I actually think Onana is better on the ball than his defense or off the ball. I think his passing is one of his strength. Based on what I had seen, he’s good playing against opposition pressing, good in keeping possession, and has variety of passing range.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He is not even close to good enough to move the needle in terms of winning anything and other point is we did exactly what you want to do but for far better player in form of Casemiro but here we are .
Palhinha gets dribbled past more than any player in the league per the graphic below. And if we're interested in developing a system of play like City, Liverpool and Arsenal, then it's imperative that we adhere to certain principles which requires the team to control the game in possession, as well as control the game out of possession.

Casemiro has served his purpose and his biggest issue is that he just doesn't have the athleticism to cover ground quickly in defensive transition. In the EPL it's absolutely imperative that we control the defensive transition or we will keep struggling against teams who have packed their teams with physicality and athleticism.

Casemiro it seems will be leaving and there seems willing buyers in Saudi according to the reliable Spanish outlet Relevo.

gajender

Palhinha gets dribbled past more than any player in the league per the graphic below. And if we're interested in developing a system of play like City, Liverpool and Arsenal, then it's imperative that we adhere to certain principles which requires the team to control the game in possession, as well as control the game out of possession.

Casemiro has served his purpose and his biggest issue is that he just doesn't have the athleticism to cover ground quickly in defensive transition. In the EPL it's absolutely imperative that we control the defensive transition or we will keep struggling against teams who have packed their teams with physicality and athleticism.

Casemiro it seems will be leaving and there seems willing buyers in Saudi according to the reliable Spanish outlet Relevo.

I really like the look of Onana whatever little I have seen of him hopefully United are keeping an eye on him .

As far Casemiro is concerned We should let him leave along with few others need to start building a team which can dominate physically as well as technically .