OranjeCafe: The Netherlands at the World Cup

MikeMango

Most surprising is letting Van der Wiel out of the squad while he played a lot for Paris Saint Germain. He chose a right back with 1 cap playing at Augsburg over him.
yeah, it's a bit surprising, but Verhaegh is a reliable defender for augsburg. I didn't follow van der Wiels season in detail, but he is nothing special imo.

Scrumpet

There are no words
What happened to that young defender they threw in the deep end at the Euros? Don't make me google it.

bucky

What happened to that young defender they threw in the deep end at the Euros? Don't make me google it.
Jetro Willems, 20 years old, still prone to make mistakes, but is steadily improving. Currently he is injured.

bucky

Thanks, would he most likely have made the squad if healthy?
The Dutch people on here didn't think so, no. I have no idea really, I just watched and keep on watching a bit of PSV and Ajax, read something here and there, nothing more.

They are certainly third favourites in this group but Van Gaal's reputation will be in tatters and there will be widespread panic on here about his supposed failure if they are knocked out.

Yik

I cannot fathom why United fans want LVG and Netherlands to crash out of the group. We'll be getting him early but thats about the only positive. How on earth would it benefit us to have a manager coming fresh off a humiliation? Not to mention it'd mean RVP would be royally pissed off as well. Him as WC winner would be ideal but realistically if Netherlands can give a good account of themselves and progress in the tournament it'd be good for us.

saivet

It would hardly be a humiliation falling out in the groups. They have the best side in the world and another good team in Chile in there. When Ron Vlaar is your linchpin in defence, you can't expect too much.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Doesn't really matter how we perform, expectations are pretty low although everybody obviously hopes to do well. But we still have 2010 to think about with joy from time to time, so it's alright.

What Van Gaal is doing is like pruning your garden or something, cutting off all the old stuff. Everything looks ugly, but in two and four years we will be very grateful he did it like this.

Kloroform

I cant wait to see Holland. They will play 5-3-2 ! I should watch their friendly vs ecuador this saturday

LvG keen on 5-3-2: "Dutch school principles remain; full-backs in possession are wingers, three creative players, difficult to play against"

LvG: "Van Persie + Robben [two captains] both enthusiastic (re: 5-3-2), but everything stands or falls with performance of all the players."

LvG: "Best for my players, can play to their maximum, offensive football. It's a risk given lack of time, but we can switch back to 4-3-3."

They look very weak in defense

Jericho

With the players they've had in recent history Holland have missed their chance for glory. Every year their team has become more and more average looking. Quarter-finalists at best.

Dutch-Moroccan

Holland has a very average team this edition.
I remember the team of 1998 it was a shame that they didn't win the WC with players like Bergkamp, Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert, Overmars, Stam, de Boer, Zenden etc.

NoPace

Can De Jong be the RCB instead of De Vrij? Seems like he's too reliable a defensive talent in his current form to leave out, just to get another CB in.

NYAS

Where's Van Ginkel? And has LvG explained Van Der Wiel's exclusion?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Where's Van Ginkel? And has LvG explained Van Der Wiel's exclusion?
van Ginkel's been injured for more than half of this season. After that, he's rarely got any first-team football under Chelsea.

van der Wiel's been playing through a knee injury, this season, playing through pain-killing injections the way Evans has for us from 2009 to 2011. He himself didn't want to participate in the World Cup because of this injury.

NYAS

Thanks. I knew Van Ginkel was injured and came back in March, but I thought he had made enough of a comeback, and given his talent there might have been room for him in the squad, but I guess not.
Shame about van der Wiel. I'm a fan of him and think he is actually underrated. I expect him to be the clear starter at right-back for PSG next season. I love his pace.

AjaxNL

Holland has a very average team this edition.
I remember the team of 1998 it was a shame that they didn't win the WC with players like Bergkamp, Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert, Overmars, Stam, de Boer, Zenden etc.
Plus Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, Jonk, Numan, Reiziger. The best Oranje I have ever seen and that's the side that deserved to go to the final, not the shitty team four years ago that almost stole the worldcup. That '98 team was everything the Dutch footballschool represents.

JB7

Plus Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, Jonk, Numan, Reiziger. The best Oranje I have ever seen and that's the side that deserved to go to the final, not the shitty team four years ago that almost stole the worldcup. That '98 team was everything the Dutch footballschool represents.
Harsh, I enjoyed watching their 2010 team. They played good attacking football, very much built around Sneijder - well, up until the final where they went away from everything that had got them to that football and became a bunch of thugs.

AjaxNL

Harsh, I enjoyed watching their 2010 team. They played good attacking football, very much built around Sneijder - well, up until the final where they went away from everything that had got them to that football and became a bunch of thugs.
No we didn't. We didn't play attacking football at all, not in the slightest. Bert van Marwijk is known to be a defensive minded coach and during that world cup run, he had us playing some of the worst football I have ever seen from an Oranje side. Very, very lucky to beat Brazil in the QF's. The rest of the opponents were just shit anyway. Japan, Denmark, Cameroon Slovakia and Uruguay in the semis (who are offcourse a good side). There was nothing good about our football that tournament.

Reactions: That'sHernandez

MarcRed96

It's definitely the weakest Dutch side that I can remember. Attacking wise they are okay but their defence lets them down big time. I'd like to see them do well given Van Gaal is in charge and RvP plays for them but I can't see them getting past the quarter finals with that defence.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah they were fantastic. Really should've beaten Brazil in the semi-finals but for the Ronaldo/Rivaldo axis, Kluivert beasted their defence in the air and scored one but should have had a couple more. The 2010 vintage defended well but were piss-poor in comparison and reminded me more of Germany in 2002 rather than any Dutch team.

Firstouch20

Holland have a weak squad but as long as they can call upon the three musketeers they'll have a great chance

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't give them a hope in hell of winning it so I'd take them getting knocked out of the group stage if only to have LvG and RvP back early.

manunited20

Spain will probably destroy us. I think Chile is equal to us, but they're far more aggressive and we'll beat Australia 1-0 (89' O.G)

MrTon

This team is not much worse compared to the 2010 WC team. If we can manage to have a solid defense, Robben RVP and Sneijder can decide every game. Im not expecting much, but we might surprise some people. Id compare it to Uruguay's 2010 team, three big names up front and for the rest mediocre, still made it to the semi's.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I cant wait to see Holland. They will play 5-3-2 ! I should watch their friendly vs ecuador this saturday

LvG keen on 5-3-2: "Dutch school principles remain; full-backs in possession are wingers, three creative players, difficult to play against"

LvG: "Van Persie + Robben [two captains] both enthusiastic (re: 5-3-2), but everything stands or falls with performance of all the players."

LvG: "Best for my players, can play to their maximum, offensive football. It's a risk given lack of time, but we can switch back to 4-3-3."

They look very weak in defense
Well it's a good way of compensating for average centre-halves. Brazil did it brilliantly in 2002 and there will be a few teams doing the same this time round.

OoopsMisclick

Average side from the netherlands. Got a lot of dutch friends and they don't see themselfs passing group stage. They all tip belgium to be the dark horses this tournament. Can't say i disagree ;)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
This team is not much worse compared to the 2010 WC team. If we can manage to have a solid defense, Robben RVP and Sneijder can decide every game. Im not expecting much, but we might surprise some people. Id compare it to Uruguay's 2010 team, three big names up front and for the rest mediocre, still made it to the semi's.
How's Sneijder playing for the national team these days? Does he look capable of getting anywhere near his peak form in the summer?

Dutch-Moroccan

Yeah, for me too.
I think there never be a team like that in the future..

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
I wouldnt write them off so easily, they are a team in a semi-transition. I can see them pulling a group effort rather than relying on individual brilliance.