Orkun Kokcu

bucky

Had the most touches and made most passes of all players with a completion percentage of 87%. Also lost possession 21 times, almost twice as much as any other Feyenoord player. Attempted 2 tackles, both unsuccessful, won 2 of his 8 ground duels, attempted 4 dribbles, only one being successful. I don't think he was that impressive and the numbers paint a similar picture. In general, if we are looking for a reliable passer that offers and enhances our control in terms of possession, I am not convinced it is him.

No doubt he is a good player, but the amount of times he loses possession compared to other players in that regard is worrying. Maybe, if we were to sign him, his role would change and he wouldn't need to be as creative, since he'd probably play alongside Bruno. Then again, he might just be that type of player and similar to Pogba, we'd shoehorn him into a role that isn't his.

Grande

In the religious belief like Christian for example (I’m assuming this is similar with Muslim), they believe in God as the creator meaning it’s God‘s decision to make person male or female. By doing transgender, the person opposes God’s decision. Hence why some of them disagree with the idea of transgender but it doesn’t mean they disrespect the transgender decision. It’s like muslims refuse to wear cross necklace because it’s a symbolic of Christian or Christian can disagree with muslims or Buddhism or other religious but doesn’t mean all of those people who disagree are disrespecting and hating other religious. But there are also some people who are disrespecting and hating and that’s called discrimination.

Have you read the statement that Kokcu said? If yes, what’s your view on that?
I think I’ve written four times in here that the issue is not being for or against sexual orientations or gender identites - the rainbow armband is about NOT PERSECUTING people. If Kökcü doesn’t understand this, he’s in good company looking at this thread, but I expect more and he ought to think again. If he is of the opinion that homosexuals should be persecuted according to his understanding of his God, I think there is good reason to criticize both his understanding and his religious ideas. I hope not. For anyone answering this without differentiating between being for/against people of LBTG making and being against persecution, violence and persecution of the same people, I will not answer again, but advice them to read the post again to let it sink in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If God has given you poor eyesight, are you not supposed to wear glasses? Is eye surgery against the holy scripture?
I never read quran but the bible doesn't talk about poor eyesight, the bible talks about gender and homesexual.

God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them. God blessed them and told them, multiply and fill the earth and subdue it" (Genesis 1:27-28a). Genesis 1:31 tells us that His creation was excellent in every way. To say that gender does not matter is to disagree with God’s design for creation and His proclamation that it was very good. Homosexual behavior is wrong (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Cross-dressing is unacceptable (Deuteronomy 22:5).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This "Show God gratitude for what you have been given" repetition is just tiring. You're replying without reading comments.
His religion doesn't respect homosexuals, so when he comes out with a PR-bullshit public statement that he does, in fact, respect them, it is clearly not how he really feels about it. If your God can't respect that people are born different, then he's a fecking moron.
If the Quran said that dwarves are an abomination, would you be okay with him saying "I respect dwarves, but because of my religion, I can't show my support"?
As a lot of posters have already pointed out, wearing the armband just shows support that you see them as equals, not that you like them.
Some people who commit in the religion such as Christian will follow what bible says and Muslim will follow what Quaran says. That's how they do. I believe people including Kokcu are free to choose what they want to believe as long as there is no harm and disrespectful. My perspective is not every person who disagree on something is sign of disrespectful hence why I said we need to be more open to view the context. Kokcu had made a statement and I view his statement as respectful. I think I had explained enough and gave enough suggestion so you believe what you want to believe.

I don't read Quran, but the bible says the followings:
What the bible says about dwarves: 1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

What the bible says about gender and homesexual:
God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them. God blessed them and told them, multiply and fill the earth and subdue it" (Genesis 1:27-28a). Genesis 1:31 tells us that His creation was excellent in every way. To say that gender does not matter is to disagree with God’s design for creation and His proclamation that it was very good. Homosexual behavior is wrong (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Cross-dressing is unacceptable (Deuteronomy 22:5).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Had the most touches and made most passes of all players with a completion percentage of 87%. Also lost possession 21 times, almost twice as much as any other Feyenoord player. Attempted 2 tackles, both unsuccessful, won 2 of his 8 ground duels, attempted 4 dribbles, only one being successful. I don't think he was that impressive and the numbers paint a similar picture. In general, if we are looking for a reliable passer that offers and enhances our control in terms of possession, I am not convinced it is him.

No doubt he is a good player, but the amount of times he loses possession compared to other players in that regard is worrying. Maybe, if we were to sign him, his role would change and he wouldn't need to be as creative, since he'd probably play alongside Bruno. Then again, he might just be that type of player and similar to Pogba, we'd shoehorn him into a role that isn't his.
I can hardly imagine you actually watched the game if you say that? He was easily the best player on the pitch yesterday. Even all pundits and analysts agree on it, which is a bit rare here :wenger:

Everything goes through him, he is the starting point of all attacks as well as transitioning the ball up the pitch. He's also everywhere at once and does an immense amount of leg work. He takes risks and loses the ball as a result, but yesterday he played a fantastic game. Mourinho even tailored his midfield to stop him, but failed at doing it anyway.

This is a great analyses, but behind a paywall I think.

Oh and keep in mind he played on an empty stomach.

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

This isn't a Muslim thing or a western thing. It is easier to try and make it like that but it is actually about fundamentalism within religion.

Fundamentalist Christian churches (the bible belt in the US for example) would agree with your premise about being gay being a sin. It just happens that Wahhabism was backed by oil money and so spread rapidly as a fundamentalist Islamic doctrine in many countries. There are many Muslims who hold a much kinder and inclusive approach to religion and they shouldn't be uniformly considered bigoted.

Fundamentalism however is bigoted no matter how you dress it up or claim it is western bias. No matter what religion they all tend to suppress the rights of minority groups and maintain a patriarchy. Standing up for peoples rights and saying you don't accept those views as ok isn't Liberal hippocracy. If someone says it it is sinful to marry a person of a different race they hold racist views. Similarly if you believe it is sinful to be gay then that is a homophobic view whether you like it or not and no matter how you justify holding that view.
Really good post.

Bojan Djordjic

Seems really good at progressing the ball with passes.
I get that he looks very promising but he's another midfield player with terrible pass completion stats and that's in a much poorer league where he is probably under a lot less pressure. I really want a build up player who is utterly secure in possession.

Ekeke

I get that he looks very promising but he's another midfield player with terrible pass completion stats and that's in a much poorer league where he is probably under a lot less pressure. I really want a build up player who is utterly secure in possession.
Think this is what we need in order to move on from counter attacks being our most effective chance at getting a goal. Having said that De Bruyne looked incredibly wasteful as the main creative force in his team in Germany, but straight away he proved he could play whilst keeping the ball from his first season at City. Is ETH as likely to get that change from a player? Probably not.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not really just a build up player for us. He also creates the mpst chances in the league and his most keypasses if you want to focus on the numbers. He's not a risk averse type player.

He does have to improve on the aspect of turnovers, but he's very solid on the ball.

Man, I sound like a proper stan in this topic, but judging players by a statsheet will never not be silly to me :wenger:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Man, I sound like a proper stan in this topic, but judging players by a statsheet will never not be silly to me :wenger:
This isn’t stat sheet judging - nobody is disputing his potential quality - it’s more about the profile of player he is and the fact that he wouldn’t be a massively ideal player for us.

He does very similar sorts of things that Fernandes and Eriksen already do in our midfield. We need someone more complementary than that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This isn’t stat sheet judging - nobody is disputing his potential quality - it’s more about the profile of player he is and the fact that he wouldn’t be a massively ideal player for us.

He does very similar sorts of things that Fernandes and Eriksen already do in our midfield. We need someone more complementary than that.
Ah, fair enough. He's not really similar to Bruno though. Bruno is more of an attacker and a goal threat and doesnt really pick up the ball in his own half does he? Eriksen also seems more like a technically gifted 10 rather than an alround CM even if Ten Hag plays him further back.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He seems a bit robust to play as a roaming playmaker, maybe a back up to Casemiro more than what we need in a new Eriksen

bucky

I can hardly imagine you actually watched the game if you say that? He was easily the best player on the pitch yesterday. Even all pundits and analysts agree on it, which is a bit rare here :wenger:

Everything goes through him, he is the starting point of all attacks as well as transitioning the ball up the pitch. He's also everywhere at once and does an immense amount of leg work. He takes risks and loses the ball as a result, but yesterday he played a fantastic game. Mourinho even tailored his midfield to stop him, but failed at doing it anyway.
I did watch the game, I thought it was a poor game overall. Saying that he wasn't that impressive, doesn't mean he wasn't good. People have been saying that he is an ideal player for us to target and I am sceptical that he actually is. What you are describing what he did yesterday, is similar to what Bruno currently does for us. We need a different profile of midfielder though, hence why I am being a little harsh. I also don't like the way he runs. So I may be a bit biased.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I did watch the game, I thought it was a poor game overall. Saying that he wasn't that impressive, doesn't mean he wasn't good. People have been saying that he is an ideal player for us to target and I am sceptical that he actually is. What you are describing what he did yesterday, is similar to what Bruno currently does for us. We need a different profile of midfielder though, hence why I am being a little harsh. I also don't like the way he runs. So I may be a bit biased.
I understand why.

What seperates him from most players we would compare him to is that he is so high up in both metrics like progressive passes, passes into the final third and deliveries into the box. It is like he is KdB and Rodri rolles into one player for this Feyenoord side.

In the PL, he wont be. My guess is he will play deeper than KdB and higher up than Rodri. And that his completion rate will increase when being creative is less of a responsibilty for him.

No idea if he is good enough. But for Feyenoord he is a bit of a jack of all trades, master of all. It makes him very difficult to assess.

Bojan Djordjic

Think this is what we need in order to move on from counter attacks being our most effective chance at getting a goal. Having said that De Bruyne looked incredibly wasteful as the main creative force in his team in Germany, but straight away he proved he could play whilst keeping the ball from his first season at City. Is ETH as likely to get that change from a player? Probably not.
Bit confused about this as De Bruyne definitely isn't that secure with the ball. His passing completion is in the bottom 7 percentile of midfielders in top five leagues. Obviously one of the best creative passers on the planet but far from secure. City can indulge this as almost all their other players in midfield, defence and even their goalkeeper are pass masters.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm definitely biased so no worries there :wenger:

I don't see how he plays like Bruno though, isn't Bruno almost an attacker who gives either the last pass or scores himself? Kokcu is more a cm than him I think. The nr 10 shirt is a bit of a weird choice for me in that respect

It was indeed a rather poor game, but that's mostly because of our hilariously bad wingers. I thought Kokcu (and Wieffer) were very good.

I'm not confident about next week though. Roma show that once they need to score they can easily dominate us.which is no wonder since Abraham alone was more expensive than our entire squad.

Having said all this, I don't think he's good enough to start for a club like United yet, but he's still very young and captaining a Feyenoord team to a league title (not even I can jinx it at this point)at 21/22 is no small feat.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Wait this is the wrong Roma game. He's improved alot this year and was alot better last night then he was in the Conf League final.
That's true :lol:

I think we desperately need a midfielder in the De Jong mould in the sense that he doesn't give the ball away with sloppy or risky passes and doesn't get dispossessed often while also progressing the ball well. Would you say he offers that?

bucky

I'm definitely biased so no worries there :wenger:

I don't see how he plays like Bruno though, isn't Bruno almost an attacker who gives either the last pass or scores himself? Kokcu is more a cm than him I think. The nr 10 shirt is a bit of a weird choice for me in that respect

It was indeed a rather poor game, but that's mostly because of our hilariously bad wingers. I thought Kokcu (and Wieffer) were very good.

I'm not confident about next week though. Roma show that once they need to score they can easily dominate us.which is no wonder since Abraham alone was more expensive than our entire squad.

Having said all this, I don't think he's good enough to start for a club like United yet, but he's still very young and captaining a Feyenoord team to a league title (not even I can jinx it at this point)at 21/22 is no small feat.
Ten Hag has been playing Bruno deeper and Sabitzer in his role recently. Hence the comparison from others and myself here. It was similar with Fred in midfield next to Casemiro and Bruno. Fred often was the most advanced midfielder, while Bruno was roaming a bit everywhere. In general your description of Bruno is correct though, which is why I chose Pogba as another example above. We tried shoehorning Pogba into a role as a defensive midfielder that wasn't his best, only because he had certain attributes and my worry would be that we would do the same with Kökcü. On the whole it doesn't really matter that he isn't an attacking midfielder and more a central midfielder, only that he has certain qualities.

Your last point is what it comes down to it for me and why I am probably being harsher, than you would be. I am looking at him through the United lens and what he could do for us, not what he is doing for you actually.

What seperates him from most players we would compare him to is that he is so high up in both metrics like progressive passes, passes into the final third and deliveries into the box. It is like he is KdB and Rodri rolles into one player for this Feyenoord side.

In the PL, he wont be.
My guess is he will play deeper than KdB and higher up than Rodri. And that his completion rate will increase when being creative is less of a responsibilty for him.

No idea if he is good enough. But for Feyenoord he is a bit of a jack of all trades, master of all. It makes him very difficult to assess.
He isn't like Rodri though. That's point others and myself are making. He gets dispossessed a lot more, he has more miscontrols and his completion percentage is worse. Positionally they are also completely different, one is the safety net of his team, while the other has a lot of freedom to roam all over the pitch. That isn't a criticism of him as a player, that's just pointing out what type of player he is. The eye test and stats tell the same story there. He's afforded more liberties to lose possession, because he is so creative, similar to Bruno and de Bruyne. These things are connected. We don't need him to be like Bruno though, we would need him to be like Kimmich, Kroos, de Jong or Verratti. Those are obviously extreme examples, but those players are very progressive, while also being very secure and reliable in possession.

How can you be certain that that his reliability and security in possession would improve in the EPL? He might develop into that kind of player later on in his career, but I am wondering how you can make that projection? And why would you want to take responsibility of his shoulders in terms of creativity, when that seems to be something he is best at?

Ekeke

Bit confused about this as De Bruyne definitely isn't that secure with the ball. His passing completion is in the bottom 7 percentile of midfielders in top five leagues. Obviously one of the best creative passers on the planet but far from secure. City can indulge this as almost all their other players in midfield, defence and even their goalkeeper are pass masters.
He had 74-76.5% pass accuracy before City. At City he's mostly been in the low 80s whilst getting assists all the time. If he had continued with 74-76% I think Guardiola would have got sick of him and replaced him with another player as thats clearly his style of play

Bojan Djordjic

He's not really just a build up player for us. He also creates the mpst chances in the league and his most keypasses if you want to focus on the numbers. He's not a risk averse type player.

He does have to improve on the aspect of turnovers, but he's very solid on the ball.

No, I'm not just making a blanket statement about his statistical profile but he's either a secure passer or not and the player we definitely need in that midfield is someone who can control play. He's bad at one of the things we really need to be good at. We have enough trigger happy creative passers in Bruno, Eriksen and even Casemiro to an extent who all play like the ball is a grenade. As a result we can't sustain possession in the middle of the park.

bucky

He had 74-76.5% pass accuracy before City. At City he's mostly been in the low 80s whilst getting assists all the time. If he had continued with 74-76% I think Guardiola would have got sick of him and replaced him with another player as thats clearly his style of play
Those 7 to 8% can easily be explained by going from Bremen and Wolfsburg to City with Pellegrini/Guardiola in charge.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Ten Hag has been playing Bruno deeper and Sabitzer in his role recently. Hence the comparison from others and myself here. It was similar with Fred in midfield next to Casemiro and Bruno. Fred often was the most advanced midfielder, while Bruno was roaming a bit everywhere. In general your description of Bruno is correct though, which is why I chose Pogba as another example above. We tried shoehorning Pogba into a role as a defensive midfielder that wasn't his best, only because he had certain attributes and my worry would be that we would do the same with Kökcü. On the whole it doesn't really matter that he isn't an attacking midfielder and more a central midfielder, only that he has certain qualities.

Your last point is what it comes down to it for me and why I am probably being harsher, than you would be. I am looking at him through the United lens and what he could do for us, not what he is doing for you actually.

He isn't like Rodri though. That's point others and myself are making. He gets dispossessed a lot more, he has more miscontrols and his completion percentage is worse. Positionally they are also completely different, one is the safety net of his team, while the other has a lot of freedom to roam all over the pitch. That isn't a criticism of him as a player, that's just pointing out what type of player he is. The eye test and stats tell the same story there. He's afforded more liberties to lose possession, because he is so creative, similar to Bruno and de Bruyne. These things are connected. We don't need him to be like Bruno though, we would need him to be like Kimmich, Kroos, de Jong or Verratti. Those are obviously extreme examples, but those players are very progressive, while also being very secure and reliable in possession.

How can you be certain that that his reliability and security in possession would improve in the EPL? He might develop into that kind of player later on in his career, but I am wondering how you can make that projection? And why would you want to take responsibility of his shoulders in terms of creativity, when that seems to be something he is best at?
Does he get dispossessed a lot more, has more miscontrols and lower completion rate in the build up phase? Because in the numbers you look at, he is also the most creative player for Feyenoord in the final third where he has to take more risk. In this phase, he is likely to lose the ball more and have a lower completion rate.

In the PL, you will not find a single midfielder who is in both the top 90 percentile for passes into the final third and entries into the penalty areas. Kokcu is in the 98 percentile for both in Eredivise.

bucky

Does he get dispossessed a lot more, has more miscontrols and lower completion rate in the build up phase? Because in the numbers you look at, he is also the most creative player for Feyenoord in the final third where he has to take more risk. In this phase, he is likely to lose the ball more and have a lower completion rate.

In the PL, you will not find a single midfielder who is in both the top 90 percentile for passes into the final third and entries into the penalty areas. Kokcu is in the 98 percentile for both in Eredivise.
And that's not what we need him for. Unless you think our priority should be to replace Bruno this summer.

Mwooyo

I dont even know how we can be looking at this dude and not enzo le fee. I am beginning to suspect that manutd hate easy obvious deals. This dude is not it...he is far from it. We should all in for le fee though...he looks to be the answer and is much better than de jong defensively

Ekeke

Those 7 to 8% can easily be explained by going from Bremen and Wolfsburg to City with Pellegrini/Guardiola in charge.
Can indeed. But cant explain me watching him make terrible decisions prior to City and giving the ball away all the time, to now his loss of the ball usually being a pretty good cross a City player doesnt get on the end of. He's vastly improved the choices he makes in the final third. He's one of the best at it

Bojan Djordjic

Where are you getting your statistics from? I've looked at every premier league season since 2017/18 and De Bruyne has never had passing accuracy higher than 78% (47th percentile) which was his first season and it dropped after that.

Bojan Djordjic

I dont even know how we can be looking at this dude and not enzo le fee. I am beginning to suspect that manutd hate easy obvious deals. This dude is not it...he is far from it. We should all in for le fee though...he looks to be the answer and is much better than de jong defensively
I love Enzo but I think there are similar issues in that he doesn't play in that first phase deep lying playmaker role either and his passing security is also less than ideal. We really need a build up expert in this team. Someone who can be a central hub and can slow things down when needed. It's definitely a tricky profile to find as we definitely need someone who is super press resistant and defensive and that trifecta of talents is not that common.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I understand why.

In the PL, he wont be. My guess is he will play deeper than KdB and higher up than Rodri. And that his completion rate will increase when being creative is less of a responsibilty for him.

Good posts, Andersj

I think we do need a player of Kokcu' skillset to be brought into the team. A player who is naturally a more creative force as a #8, and is being utilised as one by Arne Slot in all phases of play. And Slot and ten Hag have a very similar outlook on how they see football and hence place a heavy emphasis on vertical plays through the thirds.

I think we need to add two midfielders to our stronger midfielders like Eriksen, Casemiro and Bruno in the team. And I think a player like Kokcu or Mac Allister alongside one of Caicedo or Declan rice would really help us have a strong midfield composition. I know many people aren't big Declan Rice fans, but he would be a very good player within a set system where his ability to retain possession, carry the ball and provide a strong defensive presence, would compliment the rest of the players in the first phase of the build up.

It would require a new ownership group to come in and show some ambition. But I think one of Caicedo or Rice and one of Kokcu or Mac Allister alongside a new keeper, RB and striker would potentially change the whole dynamic of the team. It doesn't only have to be those players but it would be nice to see a new ownership group allow us to plan ahead and bring in a Casemiro replacement earlier than usual, as well as sign a keeper and RB who would aid the build up phase.

kidbob

I see no reason as to why signing him means we shouldn't also be looking for the controlling player too. In all honesty we need 3 midfielders over the next 2 years. We need to replace Fred and McTominay and also need a proper back up for Cas. If Kokcu can be bought relatively cheaply so that we have funds to find a controller too then it's a no brainer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I see no reason as to why signing him means we shouldn't also be looking for the controlling player too. In all honesty we need 3 midfielders over the next 2 years. We need to replace Fred and McTominay and also need a proper back up for Cas. If Kokcu can be bought relatively cheaply so that we have funds to find a controller too then it's a no brainer.
Rumours are we are aiming for 40-45 million. I think that constitue relatively cheap for you lot right?